Hotmail and MSN users - Bouncing Emails

OpinioNate

Posting about this here because we've received several support requests about missing emails from Hotmail and MSN users, but can't respond to them because even our support replies are bouncing.

If you use either of these email providers you may want to switch to another free service like Gmail. Groundspeak emails are being throttled for the umpteenth time and really our hands are tied. There is a chance you could get their attention by sending them a support request but if it were me I'd say myself some grief and just switch. I'm sorry for everyone who has to deal with this frustration.

Mine seem's to be working fine. :laughing: I got e-mail's when I was posting my maintance log's tonight and had some e-mail's from my watchlist, I got this week's newsletter, and I had never got one before but I got an e-mail about the site upgrades. Forum e-mail's are making it to my inbox as well. Thanks for posting this!!! Now I can keep an eye on if I am missing or am not getting some e-mail's. :)

so what happens when gmail starts blocking Goundspeak emails? We can't just keep changing email providers. We should be contacting and fighting with our current providers. Why would they block valid email?

If you're not paying, they don't have much incentive to work on fixing it for you, do they?

The best thing I ever did for my email management was getting my own hosted domain where I have a huge amount of control over the spam filtering. I still have a GMail account for mailing lists, but anything important goes to the hosted account. The $15/year it costs me is well worth it.

I contacted MSN (not an easy task) explained the problem to include what Nate said about geocachings support replies being bounced. Their reply is below.

I've already notified our Sender Escalations Team about this because it appears that the geocaching.com domain is being blocked by our system. They'll be ones who will contact directly the administrator of geocaching.com.

Thanks!

Please let us know if MSN does in fact contact geocaching.com and if it is safe to return to our hotmail and msn email accounts. Thanks Nate for letting us know what the problem is.

At the time of Nate's posting I was doing fine. Now, 2 days later owner notifications have stopped for me. I got a watchlist e-mail....

Oh never mind, just got my owner e-mails now. Just was delayed a few minutes. It's 3am EST here.

Back to MSN e-mail issues. I've never had trouble with hotmail. I've found them more reliable than others(ISP accounts and Gmail). I'd hate to have to switch but I guess I get what I pay for :D

Keep us posted.

This is the first time I've ever had trouble with MSN mail. I use them as my primary non-work email service. If the problem can't be fixed then I see little reason to keep them as a backup ISP. It will be a matter of switching everything and everyone over to one of my other accounts. After 9 or so years it will be a pain, but would save me money. I'll wait until after the holiday, see what Nate says, then see if I want to switch my geocaching email back to see if it's fixed.

Nate, this is the response I got after talking with MSN about them bouncing geocaching.com's emails. Has anyone from MSN contacted Geocaching.com to resolve this issue? Or did they just say that to pass the buck?

I've already notified our Sender Escalations Team about this because it appears that the geocaching.com domain is being blocked by our system. They'll be ones who will contact directly the administrator of geocaching.com.

Thanks

Nate, this is the response I got after talking with MSN about them bouncing geocaching.com's emails. Has anyone from MSN contacted Geocaching.com to resolve this issue? Or did they just say that to pass the buck?

Thanks

I checked with Support and they haven't had any emails come in from MSN's "Sender Escalation Team" or any other department at MSN. I hate to say it, but I think you invite further frustration by sticking with MSN for your Geocaching needs.

Anyone suffered from the worldwide collapse of gmail today, its hit our account.

"Worldwide" might be a bit much; I don't know anyone personally who was affected, and Google isn't saying how many people were affected beyond "a small subset of users". IMAP access was apparently unaffected, I'd guess POP as well - just web access. It's supposed to be back up already.

Anyone suffered from the worldwide collapse of gmail today, its hit our account.

"Worldwide" might be a bit much; I don't know anyone personally who was affected, and Google isn't saying how many people were affected beyond "a small subset of users". IMAP access was apparently unaffected, I'd guess POP as well - just web access. It's supposed to be back up already.

Acacio Cruz, site reliability manager for Gmail, did not say what had caused the two and a half hour service outage, but said that users should be able to access their accounts “without any further problems”.

Problems with Gmail, which has more than 100 million users worldwide each month, first came to light this morning at around 9.30am GMT, when some users were unable to log on to the service. The problem affected people in almost every country, both across the UK and Europe as well as in Australia and India. The technical issues also impacted users of the Google Apps service, a suite of email, calendar and collaborative document-editing tools popular with many commerical enterprises.

Thats pretty much world wide to me. ;)

The USA was unaffected BTW.

It's all pretty much up and running now though.

so what happens when gmail starts blocking Goundspeak emails? We can't just keep changing email providers. We should be contacting and fighting with our current providers. Why would they block valid email?

I use hotmail and cableone. Cable one blocks certain outgoing ports that, prevent me from using my own mail from my own website. Hotmail has the problems mentioned in the OP. Cable one will also filter what they think of as SPAM. For example if I talk money to the other members of ICE when we talk geocoins. Cable one also blocks my netflix emails.

Fighing your own provider may be what we are stuck with because they are all blocking things. If I could find an ISP that didn't try to do me a bunch of favors with data caps (limiting your bandwidth to what you pay for is a data cap, a second lower one is an insult) blocked ports, outgoing SPAM filters and a host of other things it would be a nice change to switch to them.

...If I could find an ISP that didn't try to do me a bunch of favors with data caps (limiting your bandwidth to what you pay for is a data cap, a second lower one is an insult) blocked ports, outgoing SPAM filters and a host of other things it would be a nice change to switch to them.

Sadly many small hosting providers (like myself) include some of these inane email rules on our servers because the big boys in the email game (yahoo, aol, hotmail etc) won't accept emails from us unless we adopt some of these things. Although I try and keep it as clean as possible.

Cable one blocks certain outgoing ports that, prevent me from using my own mail from my own website.

Many ISPs block outgoing port 25 (SMTP) to slow the flow of spam. Check with your other website provider, though, because they may accept mail on another port. Mine also accepts outgoing mail on port 26, exactly because of anticipated blocks.

In 2007 I openend a Gmail account , just to receive mail abouth geocaching .

Like my PQ's and such.

Since a couple of months I don't receive up to date info from Groundspeak abouth my Geocache

"Schuitje varen theetje drinken" in the Netherlands.

Some 43 caching-teams have visited this cache but the logcount according to Groundspeak is no more than 21 logs.

Is there any explanation abouth this discrepancy? :lol:

Kind regards,

Cache in het handje

The Netherlands

same problem here - not receiving pocket queries any more. To be more precise, some of the queries are sent - for example "my finds pocket query* -zip file .

I tried using different email accounts - and one of the email-servers I run myself (and I am not blocking Groundspeak mails ...)

Therefore I don't think that it's only an ISP-problem. It looks like Groundspeak also has a problem.