Oregon on a motorcycle

jerryleejr

Hi all,

First Post and I have spent several days reading all the great information here. Without getting into a which one debate I am wondering who has used an Oregon series on their motorcycle? I am splitting my use between the bike and the trail I believe the Oregon suites my needs. Not perfect but close enough for what is available. Photos would also be appreciated.

JJ

I have an oregon and use it on my bicycle. I think you might have some issues with daytime visibility on a motorcycle. I wouldn't use mine on my motorcycle. If I were you I'd try to test one out before I dove in an bought one.

It definetely has the features to work on a cycle, albeit the alarm tones are too quiet for a cycle. It's just the visability I'd be worried about. You might find yourself craning your neck to get a clear view of the screen. At night it would be fine, just daylight might be a problem.

Edited by sanramonhunter

I have an oregon and use it on my bicycle. I think you might have some issues with daytime visibility on a motorcycle. I wouldn't use mine on my motorcycle. If I were you I'd try to test one out before I dove in an bought one.

It definetely has the features to work on a cycle, albeit the alarm tones are too quiet for a cycle. It's just the visability I'd be worried about. You might find yourself craning your neck to get a clear view of the screen. At night it would be fine, just daylight might be a problem.

That is my only issue is the visibility. I looked hard at the nuvi 500 but I think I want a more durable solution.

JJ

That is my only issue is the visibility. I looked hard at the nuvi 500 but I think I want a more durable solution.

JJ

I really don't think the oregon is much more rugged than the 500. The 500 and 550 were designed with scooterists in mind. I kind of think of it as a mini zumo with paperless geocaching. I'm waiting for one with Text to speech and bluetooth to come out and I'm buying one. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably just keep my old magellan 2200t.

I use my Colorado 400t on my dirt bike, and with hard-wire to the battery and on with backlight full, I have no visibility problems! That is the advantage with hard wire to the vehicle battery. BWT, I use a RAM mount on my bars. rider

The colorado has a different screen than the oregon. It has better sunlight visability. Especially when plugged into power.

JJ

I really don't think the oregon is much more rugged than the 500. The 500 and 550 were designed with scooterists in mind. I kind of think of it as a mini zumo with paperless geocaching. I'm waiting for one with Text to speech and bluetooth to come out and I'm buying one. If that doesn't happen, I'll probably just keep my old magellan 2200t.

My main concern with the 500 is that whichever unit I end up with is going to be the only one I buy, So it has to be able to withstand alot especially when I travel overseas and use it as a back up nav source. I dont want something I have to worry about battery life or throwing in a backpack and getting knocked around.

JJ

My main concern with the 500 is that whichever unit I end up with is going to be the only one I buy, So it has to be able to withstand alot especially when I travel overseas and use it as a back up nav source. I dont want something I have to worry about battery life or throwing in a backpack and getting knocked around.

JJ

I wouldn't worry about throwing in a backpack, as long as it had some screen protection. But I'd have to agree with you on the battery issue. The battery is user accesable and I'm sure you could get spares, but that would probably be costly. You might want to look at the colorado, the screen isn't as good as bright and readable as a 60csx, but it is better than the oregon. Run down to your local REI, they will let you take it outside to look at it. If you think the oregon will work buy it and if it doesn't REI has a good return policy. You could exchange it for a colorado or a 500.

JJ

I wouldn't worry about throwing in a backpack, as long as it had some screen protection. But I'd have to agree with you on the battery issue. The battery is user accesable and I'm sure you could get spares, but that would probably be costly. You might want to look at the colorado, the screen isn't as good as bright and readable as a 60csx, but it is better than the oregon. Run down to your local REI, they will let you take it outside to look at it. If you think the oregon will work buy it and if it doesn't REI has a good return policy. You could exchange it for a colorado or a 500.

I am going to REI this weekend but they do not have a 500. I have yet to locate one in a store. I will post my findings. Ideally what I may do is get the 500 for the bike for now and find a deal on a 60csx or see what the prices do on a CO/OR.

JJ

Edited by jerryleejr

I have a Colorado and a 60CSx that I use on my motorcycle. I hardwired a power cord into the battery, and use a RAM mount to attach it to the handlebars. The nice thing about the mount is that it can be swiveled into any position, so it's easy enough to adjust the screen for visibility. Another advantage with the RAM mounts is that they are sold in tow halves- the part that attaches permanently to the handlebars and the part that holds the GPS... the latter can be removed and used in conjunction with the suction cup mount on my car dashboard.

Personally, since I always ride with gloves, the Oregon with it's touch screen was not an option for me. In contrast, the buttons on the CO are easy enough to operate through leather.

I have a Colorado and a 60CSx that I use on my motorcycle. I hardwired a power cord into the battery, and use a RAM mount to attach it to the handlebars. The nice thing about the mount is that it can be swiveled into any position, so it's easy enough to adjust the screen for visibility. Another advantage with the RAM mounts is that they are sold in tow halves- the part that attaches permanently to the handlebars and the part that holds the GPS... the latter can be removed and used in conjunction with the suction cup mount on my car dashboard.

Personally, since I always ride with gloves, the Oregon with it's touch screen was not an option for me. In contrast, the buttons on the CO are easy enough to operate through leather.

My concern with the oregon is the dimness of the screen. Would hardwiring power to it improve this? The Colorado would be an option but I have read to many complaints about the unit and fear Garmin support will dwindle with the arrival of the Oregon.

JJ

My concern with the oregon is the dimness of the screen. Would hardwiring power to it improve this? The Colorado would be an option but I have read to many complaints about the unit and fear Garmin support will dwindle with the arrival of the Oregon.

JJ

For Nav and what you intend for the Colorado, it will be fine. The complaints about the Colorado relate primarily to geocaching functionality, not navigation or mapping. If you want the best mapping gpsr, get the 60 CSx. I went with the Colorado because it was new, and I find the rocknroller wheel very convenient on the trail. I've used it to follow tracks in both Baja and Colorado while only on single track trails and no maps!

So, the complaints are what they are, but now that you can basically steal one, there is really not alot of fixing that I think I need any more (maybe only a track manager). So, there you have it from a rocks, water, dust and sand tested user. rider