Does the one with the most cache finds win?

Ghengis Jon

I met a fellow geo-cacher on a business trip recently. He was half my age with four times the number of finds over roughly the same amount of time caching. I won’t say that he was arrogant, but he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count. So I thought I’d break down my numbers and see if I was deserving of such lowly status.

3 years caching

157 finds

36 DNFs

4 countries

17 US states

As I did a quick count of my totals, I realized that the best time I ever had geo-caching was when I was least successful. I was on business in Finland, in the Arctic Circle, in February. (Can you say cold and snowy?) I wound up with one find and 3 DNFs due to all the snow and ice (go figure). As I was stomping around, I met two absolutely stunning Finnish ladies who found it quite hilarious to discover an American wandering around with a flask in one hand and a GPS in the other, looking for Tupperware. They bundled me into their car and took me into the backwoods to show me their country. I was treated to ice caves, frozen waterfalls, reindeer, and giant wooden roadside ice fishing teepees. A long and frigid day ended with a traditional fare dinner in a quaint yellow home, nestled into a hillside overlooking a winding river. As the evening changed to night, I managed to barely escape my lovely hostesses with my virtue intact. (Disclaimer: The previous sentence is for my wonderful wife’s benefit should she read this posting.) It was the most enjoyable time I ever spent geo-caching.

So I ask, should I be more concerned with my ‘kill count’? Is the total number of finds the true measure of a cacher? Am I somehow an inferior geo-cacher since I do not dedicate a significant portion of my free time to this terrific sport? Am I the only one on the planet with a high DNF percentage?

But back to the gentleman who inspired this missive. Andrew, if you’re reading this post, I have one question to ask you: You may have significantly more logged finds than I do, but how many geo-adventures with multiple Scandinavian beauties have you logged?

NO, I don't think you should be worried about your find count or the find count of any other cachers. The guy that slagged you off as an amateur just has more time for for it most likely.

And NO, you are not a bad cacher for having DNFs. There is a big number cacher here in DFW that is pretty proud of his high DNF total, which I think is about 20% or more.

Cache the way *you* like and try and not let the judgement of others affect you. :)

snip...see if I was deserving of such lowly status...snip

NO! It's Not About The Numbers!!!!!

As I did a quick count of my totals, I realized that the best time I ever had geo-caching was when I was least successful. I was on business in Finland, in the Arctic Circle, in February. (Can you say cold and snowy?) I wound up with one find and 3 DNFs due to all the snow and ice (go figure). As I was stomping around, I met two absolutely stunning Finnish ladies who found it quite hilarious to discover an American wandering around with a flask in one hand and a GPS in the other, looking for Tupperware. They bundled me into their car and took me into the backwoods to show me their country. I was treated to ice caves, frozen waterfalls, reindeer, and giant wooden roadside ice fishing teepees. A long and frigid day ended with a traditional fare dinner in a quaint yellow home, nestled into a hillside overlooking a winding river. As the evening changed to night, I managed to barely escape my lovely hostesses with my virtue intact.

What part of Finland was that again??? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::D:laughing::D:)

So I ask, should I be more concerned with my ‘kill count’?

Absolutely not!! Although it depends on what you're counting! :laughing:

But back to the gentleman who inspired this missive. Andrew, if you’re reading this post, I have one question to ask you: You may have significantly more logged finds than I do, but how many geo-adventures with multiple Scandinavian beauties have you logged?

VERY well done!!!!

I already won, so if you hear that again just tell them that some mtn-man guy already is the winner. First prize is being a forum moderator. Keystone will tell you that he won, but he was a close runner up. Don't believe a word he says either.

:laughing:

Seriously... if you are having fun then you are a winner.

To that end, I have way more finds that the guy you mention, but...

You may have significantly more logged finds than I do, but how many geo-adventures with multiple Scandinavian beauties have you logged?

Dude, you have me beat. Wanna' be a forum moderator? :):laughing:

So I ask, should I be more concerned with my ‘kill count’? Is the total number of finds the true measure of a cacher? Am I somehow an inferior geo-cacher since I do not dedicate a significant portion of my free time to this terrific sport? Am I the only one on the planet with a high DNF percentage?

I think you already know the answer to those. If you're having fun caching your way, carry on.

Some people seem to think that racking up numbers by flitting between shopping mall lamp posts makes them a somebody.

As I was stomping around, I met two absolutely stunning Finnish ladies who found it quite hilarious to discover an American wandering around with a flask in one hand and a GPS in the other, looking for Tupperware. They bundled me into their car and took me into the backwoods to show me their country. I was treated to ice caves, frozen waterfalls, reindeer, and giant wooden roadside ice fishing teepees. A long and frigid day ended with a traditional fare dinner in a quaint yellow home, nestled into a hillside overlooking a winding river. As the evening changed to night, I managed to barely escape my lovely hostesses with my virtue intact.

Please post coordinates for the Finnish beauties, in the microscopic off-chance I make it over there. :)

And FWIW, it's not the find count that matters, it's the fun quotient!

Some people seem to think that racking up numbers by flitting between shopping mall lamp posts makes them a somebody.

BINGO!

people are just screaming to be "somebodies". i don't know if it's more problematic in today's culture, but it's amazing how few people are confident that they started off as somebodies and have nothing to prove.

if you stop to think about it, it's downright worrisome that people consider having written "TNLNSL" thousands of times somehow makes them more interesting or more worthy.

it is disappointing to me to meet a geocacher for the first time and have the first thing they guy wants to know about me be my find count. usually i just shrug and say something noncomittal and exit the conversation as quick as possible.

I checked the official geocaching handbook and you are correct, geo-adventures with Scandinavian beauties beats a high find count every time. You win. Congratulations. :)

He was half my age with four times the number of finds over roughly the same amount of time caching. but he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count.

Forgive youth, we've all been there once :) Unless you're much older than I suspect, in which case, well, I have nothing to say in his defense.

As for who wins, well, I'll take Scandinavian beauties over total finds any day, but it will get me in trouble with my wife :laughing:

And NO, you are not a bad cacher for having DNFs. There is a big number cacher here in DFW that is pretty proud of his high DNF total, which I think is about 20% or more.

That would be GeoDee and yeah, I believe he has the most DNFs logged on geocaching.com. I don't think he cares all that much about any number, but to have the most DNFs is still an honor that fits him well. :)

We found all the caches we were looking for the time I went hunting with him. :laughing:

I can honestly say that I've never had the pleasure of logging a DNF. Of course I've only got one find, and I've only been out one time so far, but I'm still disproportionately proud of my perfect record. :)

In all honesty if I ever get to the point where it's about numbers rather than quality, somebody shoot me. :laughing:

Edited by rapriebe

Now, this all seems like a thinly veiled attempt to make it seem like the CO wants us to bolster his self esteem about his find count. It's obvious that he only wanted to boast of his exploits with Finnish foxes. I, for one, am appalled. (Appalled is synonomous with jealous, isn't it?)

I'm sure the smilies scored that day will be remembered much longer than any logged on GC. :)

Edited by Team Black-Cat

I can honestly say that I've never had the pleasure of logging a DNF. Of course I've only got one find, and I've only been out one time so far, but I'm still disproportionately proud of my perfect record. :)

In all honesty if I ever get to the point where it's about numbers rather than quality, somebody shoot me. :laughing:

Quit now while you are still perfect. If you continue you may run the risk of becoming a true and loyal geocacher. :laughing:

3 years caching

157 finds

36 DNFs

4 countries

17 US states

As I did a quick count of my totals, I realized that the best time I ever had geo-caching was when I was least successful.

My stats:

6 years caching on 3+ geocaching websites and uncountable geoforums (about to start my 7th year)

683+ finds (131 of which were geocaching events)

75 Hides (28 of which were geocaching events and 1 of those was an unofficial mega event)

49+ DNFs

3 countries

26 US states

2,627 Trackables/TBs moved (only a small percentage are discoveries)

Bronze EarthCache Master

2 Special geocaching achievement patches earned (Four Cache Loop & Gator's Gonna Gitcha)

1 Plaque awarded for ugliest find for 2007 (on GC143QJ)

About 100+ trackable coins given to me by cachers and another 50+ who have traded a trackable coin to me for a set of my sig pennies (13 in a set)

About 200 pathtags given or traded to me

Hundreds upon hundreds of sig items collected.

20,000+ sig items of my own in circulation

13,000+ caches given away of which over 1,000 have been hidden.

3 GPSr's (Started with a 1995 Magellan GPS2000, moved on to Magellan Color in 2004 and then was deliverd from the land of the Magellanites to the more accurate world of the Garminarians with a 60CSx in 2007.)

2 Geocaching related auto mishaps (The most recent totaled my Xterra) :laughing:

Poison Ivy 3 times

Poison Oak 1 time

3 Turtles rescued from the middle of the road while geocaching

1 Dog given to me by geocachers

1 Marriage as a direct result of Geocaching + she liked the dog (which has spawned a second generation cacher. Edit for clarity: uh, from the marriage, not the dog.) :laughing:

50 lbs. lost

Hundreds of adventures with literally hundreds of friends (real friends) from all over the U.S., Canada, and around the world. :laughing:

510 photos posted to my gallery:

Morro Rock EarthCache:

fc78436a-81c6-4b94-a234-ccb713721199.jpg

3792a83b-6da7-400c-9c1e-3ef6b4a47bff.jpg

My sig coin:

38afa2b0-8860-43c9-99f8-df12bd027ee6.jpg

Some magnetic sig item I've collected:

0ed9092f-8d6f-4edf-a3df-0f62a4dec513.jpg

Stingray City Virtual:

ebd695e2-45f1-4c8e-9a7a-d55b04c26404.jpg

Caching NEFGA style:

00a59487-66b2-48b9-b2a6-77b0438ca52a.jpg

Cujo:

926bd127-24f0-4e29-a8b8-056d6639b10e.jpg

John Force holding my Babel Fish TB:

165988_200.JPG

A former Groundspeak volunteer approver (they were called "approvers" back in the olden days) and current, frequent forum poster (to this thread even) doing an unspeakable act upon my TB: :)

1227216_700.JPG

The head frog himself, Jeremy, blessing my sig item maker thingy:

41e5d8b4-47aa-4d70-8577-c8118d1fc704.jpg

Like the OP, quite a lot of my best geocaching adventures were DNFs. I even remember the one where I nearly died fondly. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

Do as you please, and tell that other guy to keep caching on (I wanted to say something else, but...) Your story is way more entertaining and you actually post your DNFs, something many of these numbers hounds won't do.

Everyone plays the game differently and well, your very full and far from Finnished :)

By the way, did you go up to Kittala in the Lapland? I was there 3 years ago, there was far too much snow to even attempt geocaching. So I went reindeer sledging, snowmobiling, dog sleding, and ice fishing instead. And stayed at the Ice Hotel.

I would say it was far cooler to do that than to rack up another country and more numbers.

Cheers!

...but how many geo-adventures with multiple Scandinavian beauties have you logged?

My stats:

6 years caching on 3+ geo... (cut for brevity)

The head frog himself, Jeremy, blessing my sig item maker thingy:

41e5d8b4-47aa-4d70-8577-c8118d1fc704.jpg

Dude, I don't care what you say, I think he still has us all beat. Even the Jeremy blessing. :):laughing:

... he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count.

I have discovered that the number of finds a cacher has aquired (high or low) doesn't mean that they value the same things in life as I do.

When meeting new cachers I try and avoid/discourage the talk about number of finds. I think it helps us discover each other better with the burden of "labels". But sometimes no matter how hard I try ....

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

...I won’t say that he was arrogant, but he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count. ...

Back in the day when caches were few and far between and 50 was an impressive number becaues it means you drove something like a bazillion miles and hiked barefoot and naked even further to get them the numbers meant something more in raw form than they do now. Time passed and soon enough someone could start and have 500 finds in a month without leaving town. Some of those someones demanded recognition for their achievements and none of us old timers really gave a ratts a** and it annoyed them because they didn't think they were getting their due. The thing is they were getting their due and that due was nothinmg more than "Hello, I see your a cacher".

Things changed and numbers alone stopped being impressive. Instead other things started standing out. Key caches became the hallmarks of a good cachers. "Oh you found Tube Torcher" or the local equivilent. Or "Hey, you set out that death hike challenge cache" Man I've been meaning to do that but I want to find a day cool enough, boots strong enough, and a hydration pack of 5L to make that lava rock hike...I heard they life flighted Joe Cacher out last weekend...

So no, Mr. Numbers has no legs to stand on on numbers alone. He's just one of the unwashed masses. The important thing is this. Are you having fun? Yes? Don't change a thing and keep on truckin. In time you will find that tube torcher, or place that milestone cache, or be notedf or your logs, or you winning smile at the events. Some aspect of this activity has your name on it. That's your strenght, your numbers, and yours to enjoy, so enjoy it.

Edit:

I forgot to mention my stats. I attract trouble, bastards, and especially kind folks. I like the latter.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I met a fellow geo-cacher on a business trip recently. He was half my age with four times the number of finds over roughly the same amount of time caching. I won’t say that he was arrogant, but he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count. So I thought I’d break down my numbers and see if I was deserving of such lowly status.

Don't let it bother you. Caching is whatever you want it to be. If you're happy doing what you're doing, then keep on doing that. Ignore everyone else and cache and find what you like.

There's no prizes for getting the most finds.

...but how many geo-adventures with multiple Scandinavian beauties have you logged?

My stats:

6 years caching on 3+ geo... (cut for brevity)

Dude, I don't care what you say, I think he still has us all beat. Even the Jeremy blessing. :laughing::laughing:

I was just replying in my usual color outside the lines kinda way...

I wasn't trying to win but these two (my wife and son) trump a romp with some Nordic chicks IMNSHO. :laughing::laughing:

fc78436a-81c6-4b94-a234-ccb713721199.jpg

3792a83b-6da7-400c-9c1e-3ef6b4a47bff.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

Pick any hobby. Pick any type of employment. Humans are competitive and some are always trying to 'better' the next person. I guess it's an ego thing.

It's your life, play your way.

Now, about your story.

... I met two absolutely stunning Finnish ladies ... They bundled me into their car and took me into the backwoods to show me their country. I was treated to ... A long and frigid day ended with ...

I know this is a G or PG site. But as I read your post, I couldn't help thinking this was going to be like somethng I've read in a certain magazine. :laughing::laughing:

I also looked at your profile. Where are the pictures?! :laughing:

It is indeed interesting to see over time that there are people obsessed with numbers and some in it for quality experiences. To see the depths that some people sink to, check out some of our local caches. One prolific cache hider archived a large qty of caches, (about 170) on a single day last October. A couple of us have started re-working and re-hiding, usually with new coordinates and with a new log book. Some locals have taken to logging both caches when they find the new hide. This seems to violate a basic idea, sign the physical log and you are entitled to the online log. How can you find something that no longer exists?? What do you guys think? I would be interested in some perspective from long time cachers.

For some examples search for hides by SGT Eagle AND Sprkygrg or YeOleImposter

such as Stonewater and StonewaterII

Clearwater Creek North and Clearwater Creek Redux

Cherrywood and CherrywoodII

same people logging both caches on the same day even though the old one was archived in October and removed/replaced before the "new"find of the archive.

Any thoughts?

3 years caching

157 finds

36 DNFs

4 countries

17 US states

I wouldn't worry about it considering I know of at least 3 cachers who have logged caches they DIDN'T find, (some of us do check the logs!)-one with less than two years of caching under their belt, one caching since 2006, and one since 2007-all with over 2400 "finds" and probably no DNFs (like anyone sees!).

All three of them well known cachers.

And then there is the one who always "finds" it after it is archived ("Found it awhile back, forgot to log it."-once maybe, time after time????)

They're probably proud of their milestone coins too!

To some it is about the numbers, for most of us though it is the experience.

We have been at it for almost a year and a half. We have 1076 legit finds and 96 DNFs.

The best part of this hobby, we have found, is the friends we've made along the way who have integrity (some should meditate on the meaning of this word!).

We too have had some really incredible experiences. That is what I believe it is about.

Be satisfied with your own pace.

Look yourself in the eye and know you are what you want the world to believe you are.

The world isn't fair, but fairness exists. Just like honesty-It isn't "out there', it's in "here"!

PS-Sounds like Arrogance to me!

Edited by rockymtn8iv

"...same people logging both caches on the same day even though the old one was archived in October and removed/replaced before the "new"find of the archive.

Any thoughts?

Well....for one.....that this might ought've been it's own new topic/thread.

AFA 'depths'....nuttin' much in here surprises me anymore.

~*

Thanks for the kind words all. You have restored my faith that 99.999999999% of all geo-cachers represent the sport/hobby in an honorable manner!! :o

Roddy - Glad you like my signature items. I'm just doing my small part in the battle against broken McCrap.

JoesBar - I didn't realize you could load shots into your profile. But when I try to load the pix into this msg, it requires me to have a website - it won't allow uploads from my PC. :mad:

3 years caching

157 finds

36 DNFs

4 countries

17 US states

As I did a quick count of my totals, I realized that the best time I ever had geo-caching was when I was least successful. I was on business in Finland, in the Arctic Circle, in February. (Can you say cold and snowy?) I wound up with one find and 3 DNFs due to all the snow and ice (go figure). As I was stomping around, I met two absolutely stunning Finnish ladies who found it quite hilarious to discover an American wandering around with a flask in one hand and a GPS in the other, looking for Tupperware. They bundled me into their car and took me into the backwoods to show me their country. I was treated to ice caves, frozen waterfalls, reindeer, and giant wooden roadside ice fishing teepees. A long and frigid day ended with a traditional fare dinner in a quaint yellow home, nestled into a hillside overlooking a winding river. As the evening changed to night, I managed to barely escape my lovely hostesses with my virtue intact. (Disclaimer: The previous sentence is for my wonderful wife’s benefit should she read this posting.) It was the most enjoyable time I ever spent geo-caching.

Ignore him As long as you enjoy geocaching don't give a dadgum about what other people think of your numbers

I met a fellow geo-cacher on a business trip recently. He was half my age with four times the number of finds over roughly the same amount of time caching. I won’t say that he was arrogant, but he all but told me I was a rank amateur with such a low find count.

Should this happen again, no matter where... event, restaurant, public park, immediately fall to your knees and quite loudly announce "All Hail <insert braggarts name>! He has many cache finds! He has more finds than me! He is the self-declared winner! I am humbled in his presence!" Keep it up until he slinks away... he likely won't do it again! <_<

Thanks for the kind words all. You have restored my faith that 99.999999999% of all geo-cachers represent the sport/hobby in an honorable manner!! :(

Roddy - Glad you like my signature items. I'm just doing my small part in the battle against broken McCrap.

JoesBar - I didn't realize you could load shots into your profile. But when I try to load the pix into this msg, it requires me to have a website - it won't allow uploads from my PC. <_<

You can get a free account at Photobucket or a similar website and use it for forum pictures, it is free, it is fast and very easy to do. When you want to use a picture here in the forums just load it up on your Photobucket account and link it from there.

I think finding a geocche is equal to exactly nothing and 20,000 times nothing is equal to nothing. Geocaching is fun and your adventures with strange Finnish women sound like fun as well.

According to my stats, I've been a member since 2002, have just 29 finds (in 2 states, maybe 3, since some of the finds were at the CA/NV border), and 2 hides (one still there).

There have been LONG stretches of inactivity on my part. Life, y'know?

I don't care for micros, never found one, never looked for one, I like the container caches. Micros aren't "containers" in my book.

I've just ordered a DeLorme PN-40, simply so I can more easily use it with my non-serial interface laptop computers. My current GPS is a Lowrance globalmap 100. Firmware date is 2001. Serial interface. Can only use it with my desktop.

OK, getting back on topic, I consider myself a geocacher, I don't care about the count. I care about the hobby.

Hey, if seniority of join date was a factor, I'd be counted among the dinosaurs! <_<

JoesBar - I didn't realize you could load shots into your profile. But when I try to load the pix into this msg, it requires me to have a website - it won't allow uploads from my PC. :laughing:

I never figured out to load pictures to these forums either. It's easy to add pics to cache logs and pics to your profile.

Edited by JoesBar

Whoever has the most fun wins!

My sister was in town on business. We took a day off and went geocaching together. Temp was about 25, with a 40 MPH wind. It was bitter out there! We found twelve caches. Eleven of them were acutally very nice caches! (Of course, I have twice as many finds as she does, but that's irrelevant.) We had a great time!

So, for yesterday, my sister and I win! We had the most fun!!