2009 Benchmark Hunting Contest - SETTINGS

UNK1

Would these count?

FV0009 Disk is missing but stem is still in place.

FV0012 The top of the concrete has been sheared off and the mark is nowhere around.

Should we just log marks like these and let the judges decide or ask each time before logging?

No disk is a not found. Those would be found a setting of some sort, but without the disk it is a Not Found.

UNK1

I assume UNK1 is talking about whether they would qualify for the contest. He's the boss for the contest. And I agree.

My more general opinion:

For GC logging purposes, it is really up to you. You logs look OK to me. I assume all the nearby landmarks matched.

For NGS logging purposes, here is the guidance we have received from the NGS in the past for missing disks, with the stem only remaining:

1) Vertical Control (which would normally be Scaled location): Not Found

2) Horizontal Control (which would normally be Adjusted location): Found Poor

In both cases, describe the situation found. And be REALLY sure you have the right "stem".

Just another clarification please before I log.

We are using the GC.COM data sheets only for the setting?

For the Unspecified Settings does the data sheet have to say Setting = 0 or does any datasheet without setting info fall in the 0 category (i.e. no Setting line at all).

I went up to FV1654 in Jan 2009 b4 i owned a GPSr with a TB and logged a find even though I only 'found' one of the RM's. I edited the log and posted a real find for Mar 30th. Can I use it? Have a look.

Just another clarification please before I log.

We are using the GC.COM data sheets only for the setting?

For the Unspecified Settings does the data sheet have to say Setting = 0 or does any datasheet without setting info fall in the 0 category (i.e. no Setting line at all).

I went up to FV1654 in Jan 2009 b4 i owned a GPSr with a TB and logged a find even though I only 'found' one of the RM's. I edited the log and posted a real find for Mar 30th. Can I use it? Have a look.

We are only using found logs posted to GC.com. If the GC datasheet does not show a setting number, you may link to the NGS datasheet to show the setting number.

If the datasheet (GC.com original datasheet OR the NGS datasheet) shows no setting number, then that mark does not qualify for the contest.

Per FV1654, your previous visit was a DNF, so you can use it for the contest. (note: If you do NOT find the station mark it is a DNF.)

UNK1

We are only using found logs posted to GC.com. If the GC datasheet does not show a setting number, you may link to the NGS datasheet to show the setting number.

If the datasheet (GC.com original datasheet OR the NGS datasheet) shows no setting number, then that mark does not qualify for the contest.

Per FV1654, your previous visit was a DNF, so you can use it for the contest. (note: If you do NOT find the station mark it is a DNF.)

UNK1

thankyouverymuch

Hi UNK1,

You ask for photo proof with a GPS in the picture for non-disk marks. Would it be OK to post the GPS-next-to-mark photos to a separate page (an image hosting site) as long as I include the link with the other links when logging my finds for points?

The reasons for this are:

1) I have never liked posting photos with the GPSr in the picture (just a personal thing I guess).

2) Many times when the GPS is down low enough to be at the mark, the reading is MUCH less accurate than if I hold it as high as possible above the mark. Therefore, photos with the GPS at the mark often show not-very-accurate coordinates. (In fact, on a recent find we had a “40 foot error” at the mark and a “20 foot” error when holding the unit up high.)

Thanks,

TillaMurphs

Hi UNK1,

You ask for photo proof with a GPS in the picture for non-disk marks. Would it be OK to post the GPS-next-to-mark photos to a separate page (an image hosting site) as long as I include the link with the other links when logging my finds for points?

The reasons for this are:

1) I have never liked posting photos with the GPSr in the picture (just a personal thing I guess).

2) Many times when the GPS is down low enough to be at the mark, the reading is MUCH less accurate than if I hold it as high as possible above the mark. Therefore, photos with the GPS at the mark often show not-very-accurate coordinates. (In fact, on a recent find we had a “40 foot error” at the mark and a “20 foot” error when holding the unit up high.)

Thanks,

TillaMurphs

It's OK with me.

UNK1

From Dixie Dawn in the logging thread: Northern people got a snow bonus, can the Southerners get a bonus for +100* temperatures ? wacko.gif I need to find a melting icon...

Hot_XP_by_Glorfindelor.gif - _hot_.gif - _hot__by_Marc_pHX.gif - Hot_XP_by_Glorfindelor.gif - _meltage__by_Synfull.gif

Maybe UNK1 would consider a mark beside a water tank with the water boiling? Or a video of an egg frying on the sidewalk next to a mark? Better yet, if those marks were 'UNK' for monumentation, we just might talk UNK1 into this bonus?

I agree, when it gets in the high 90's and into the 100's - it is too dang hot!

Shirley~

We had three or four days in the 90's last week. (Think the high was 99.) Then this week, I was out in the rain. Oh, well.

Harry Dolphin & TheBeanTeam are angling for a Rain Bonus, in the contest.

I was benchmarking in a storm last weekend that killed a guy under a windfall tree and capsized boats in the Columbia River.

Edit to add link

Edited by TheBeanTeam

UNK1

and from another post in this thread:
I have not seen any GC.com page that showed a significant difference to the original datasheet.

The options are to cross check the required information prior to hunting the benchmark or verify it when you log the benchmark.

I know it's late in the game but ... if the NGS and GC datasheet settings differ can you use either? ;)

I thought I had been cross checking but I messed up on one:

EW1930 - NGS | GC

I know it's late in the game but ... if the NGS and GC datasheet settings differ can you use either? :D

EW1930 - NGS | GC

Off-hand, I say no. I've had SEVERAL differ between the two (and since I don't really use GC's site for BMming) and at one point I posted for points the wrong one. UNK pointed it out and I corrected it. I'd have a lot more points if we could use the official datasheets. ;)

So all in all, I think the answer o that one isn't affirmative.

I know it's late in the game but ... if the NGS and GC datasheet settings differ can you use either? :D

EW1930 - NGS | GC

Off-hand, I say no. I've had SEVERAL differ between the two (and since I don't really use GC's site for BMming) and at one point I posted for points the wrong one. UNK pointed it out and I corrected it. I'd have a lot more points if we could use the official datasheets. ;)

So all in all, I think the answer o that one isn't affirmative.

Kinda expecting a no on this one. Woulda been my 27th setting, and I didn't go get the one at Pyramid Lake while I was there 'cause I thought I had it @!#!@$%$. Looks like another drive.

UNK1

I have not seen any GC.com page that showed a significant difference to the original datasheet.

The options are to cross check the required information prior to hunting the benchmark or verify it when you log the benchmark.

I know it's late in the game but ... if the NGS and GC datasheet settings differ can you use either? ;)

EW1930 - NGS | GC

Your log show a setting picture and the mark is in a sidewalk as listed on the GC version of the datasheet. I'd say it was a setting #30 for the contest.

You may want to ask Dave why the setting was different.

UNK1

UNK1

EW1930 - NGS | GC

Your log show a setting picture and the mark is in a sidewalk as listed on the GC version of the datasheet. I'd say it was a setting #30 for the contest.

You may want to ask Dave why the setting was different.

UNK1

The NGS sheet for this one also shows a different monument date - but the disk stamping for the two sheets match and the disk all match = curiouser and curiouser.

But I suspected I had goofed so I made a run up north for my 27th ;).

thnx,

bill w