2009 Benchmark Hunting Contest - SETTINGS

UNK1

Are you ready to start discussing the next contest?

I have developed some preliminary rules that can be discussed and adjusted as necessary.

I have copied and listed the setting codes from the Hippo list (see at the end of this post).

Scoring will be as follows:

Only the Setting (class) will be used. This is the number preceding the description of the setting. 10 points will be awarded for each setting when getting a particular setting (number) the first time. 1 point for each additional find for that particular setting. When you log a find for setting #7 (for example) you will get 10 points for the first benchmark with that setting and 1 point for each additional benchmark with that setting. Finding 7 benchmarks with that setting (#7) would then score you 16 points - 10 points for the first one and 6 points for the other six benchmarks. All scoring will be based on the following list and using the Setting (Class) NUMBER. Code (description) may vary, but the NUMBER will be the deciding factor.

Bonus scoring can be for the following criteria.

Bonus points for getting 18 different settings?

Additional bonus points for getting 27 different settings?

And even more points for getting all types (numbers) of settings listed?

Bonus points for monument date of "UNK" - 25 points

Bonus points for monument dates pre-1960 - 5 points and pre-1935 -10 points.

You will be required to post a clear picture of the benchmark on the log and link to the benchmark page when posting a claim in the contest. I think using only the GC benchmark page would be preferred since there will be new benchmark hunters and old timers who do not log with the NGS participating in the contest.

You can log benchmarks that YOU have NOT found in the past year. Recoveries older than 1 year may be logged for the contest.

You must be signed up prior to the start of the contest.

Contest will run from ?? until ??

There will be a separate thread for logging your finds for the contest. This thread will be started at the beginning of the contest.

UNK1's decisions will be final. There will be other judges to make sure UNK1 doesn't miss anything.

Prizes will be announced when UNK1 gets around to it. :-) (sometime before the contest starts)

This contest is for fun, so don't expect any premium prizes.

Fire up GSAK and start sorting on "Setting: XX"

Let's hear what you think, good, bad, indifferent.....

UNK1

The list

Setting (Class) Code

0 Unspecified setting

2 Object driven into ground

4 Object surrounded by mass of concrete

7 Set in top of concrete monument

9 Set in prefabricated concrete post

15 A metal rod driven into ground. See text for additional information.

16 A metal rod with base plate buried/screwed into ground

17 Set into or fastened to top of metal pipe driven into ground

21 Set in concrete in a clay tile pipe

30 Light structures (other than listed below)

31 Pavement (street, sidewalk, curb, etc.)

32 Retaining wall or concrete ledge

33 Piles or poles (e.g. spike in utility pole)

34 Footings of small/medium structures

35 Mat foundation or concrete slab other than pavement

36 Massive structures (other than listed below)

37 Massive retaining walls

38 Abutment or pier of large bridges

39 Tunnels

40 Large structures with deep foundations

41 Large structure with foundations on bedrock

45 Unspecified deep unsleeved setting (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

46 Copper-clad steel rod without sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

47 Galvanized steel pipe without sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

48 Galvanized steel rod without sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

49 Stainless steel rod without sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

50 Aluminum alloy rod without sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

55 Unspecified pipe/rod in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

56 Copper-clad rod in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

57 Galvanized steel pipe in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

58 Galvanized steel rod in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

59 Stainless steel rod in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

60 Aluminum alloy rod in sleeve (10FT+ or 3.048M+)

65 Unspecified rock or boulder

66 In rock outcrop or ledge

80 In a boulder

The Hippo Page

Edited by UNK1

Sounds interesting as we never really pay attention to the type of setting. :D Around these here parts, most of them are of the same type of setting (which is why we don't pay much attention to it), I like the idea of still getting points for subsequent finds with the same type of setting.

Know to figure out GSAK and sorting by setting.

I say start next week! We'll be in the Florida Keys with plenty of opportunity to recover some marks without digging through snow and ice. :blink:

Thanks for putting this together. I like what I see so far.

You can log benchmarks that YOU have NOT found in the past year. Recoveries older than 1 year may be logged for the contest.

I am assuming that these would need to be visited again rather than just claimed because it was found over a year ago. I know what you mean but will everyone?

You must be signed up prior to the start of the contest.

Contest will run from ?? until ??

Start date of March 15th.

Is three Months to long for a contest?

If a March 15th start date is OK the sign up would begin on Sunday If that is to short a time then push the start back to April 1st.

Some may think that date is more appropriate for us anyway. :)

I am assuming that these would need to be visited again rather than just claimed because it was found over a year ago. I know what you mean but will everyone?

You are correct. The mark would have to be visited and photographed and a new log posted (it could be a note). Then a link to the GC benchmark page would be required in the "Logging Thread".

Start date of March 15th.

Is three Months to long for a contest?

If a March 15th start date is OK the sign up would begin on Sunday If that is to short a time then push the start back to April 1st.

Some may think that date is more appropriate for us anyway.

If no one has any objections on March 15th start date, it would be doable. I could start the sign up thread on Sunday and still have this thread for the further discussion and refining of the contest.

We just need more people to give their preferences on the start date and end date.

UNK1

March 15 will be fine. Provided the snow melts. If not, we'll just have to cram in the final days. :)

If sign up starts after this Sunday, we won't be able to sign up as we will be on vacation with no internet until the end of the month. Could you please be sure we get included? Pretty please!!

Works for me! Sounds like fun!

A couple thoughts:

• On the bonus points for old benchmarks: since any mark could be logged (could be one point if not the first for that setting), you have essentially also made this an "old" benchmark contest. I don't mind, but it does "expand" the contest scope. If you didn't intend that, you could limit the "age" bonus points to just the first mark of each new setting. That way, there could be some strategy about when you post your logs (e.g. hold off logging the first of a setting type until you get that really old one.....).
  • How about more points for pre-1900? Maybe 20 points? [yes, drill holes do have settings - I just checked a couple]
  • You may want to specify that the date is the monumentation date on the datasheet (on the geocaching.com website), or first recovery date if no monumentation date specified. Or would that be "UNK"? I'm not sure...
  • It's obvious when looking at the settings that intersection stations will not be eligible. You may want to state that for the newer folks who might not realize the difference.
  • You may want to say only data on Geocaching.com counts, even if it is now different on NGS. As we recently saw in a different thread, they could be different.
  • Re-logging of marks previously found should be done as notes (not a second find). Don't want to pump up those numbers, right? :)
  • Are there marks without a setting number listed? If so..... Bonus? Not eligible? Or maybe it is (or should be) a "0 - Unspecified setting" I guess....

April 1st start date works for me, and is soooooo appropriate! If the cold weather folks need more "thaw time", later is OK by me also. Sooner is better, also. Hey, I'm flexible!

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

March 15 will be fine. Provided the snow melts. If not, we'll just have to cram in the final days. :)

If sign up starts after this Sunday, we won't be able to sign up as we will be on vacation with no internet until the end of the month. Could you please be sure we get included? Pretty please!!

Your request has been noted.

UNK1

Works for me! Sounds like fun!

A couple thoughts:

• On the bonus points for old benchmarks: since any mark could be logged (could be one point if not the first for that setting), you have essentially also made this an "old" benchmark contest. I don't mind, but it does "expand" the contest scope. If you didn't intend that, you could limit the "age" bonus points to just the first mark of each new setting. That way, there could be some strategy about when you post your logs (e.g. hold off logging the first of a setting type until you get that really old one.....).
Sounds like a good idea.

How about more points for pre-1900? Maybe 20 points? [yes, drill holes do have settings - I just checked a couple]
How about 20 points for those marks that are pre-1895? :laughing:

You may want to specify that the date is the monumentation date on the datasheet (on the geocaching.com website), or first recovery date if no monumentation date specified. Or would that be "UNK"? I'm not sure...
It's obvious when looking at the settings that intersection stations will not be eligible. You may want to state that for the newer folks who might not realize the difference.
You are correct that it is for the monumentation date. Those without a monument date will be "UNK" for scoring purposes. The data from the GC.com pages will be what will be used in deciding if a log is good or bad.

Are there marks without a setting number listed? If so..... Bonus? Not eligible? Or maybe it is (or should be) a "0 - Unspecified setting" I guess....
I believe that all benchmarks have a setting listed. "0" usually reads "unspecified setting" or "see description".

April 1st start date works for me, and is soooooo appropriate! If the cold weather folks need more "thaw time", later is OK by me also. Sooner is better, also. Hey, I'm flexible!

Would you like to start sooner or later? answer -- Yes :)

UNK1

As long as the contest can be won by mass of recoveries, I'm in. :)

I have no field of 'setting type' to sort on in my database, and I'm just not going to read through 7000 listings to find the one 21 Set in concrete in a clay tile pipe in Arizona (if indeed there is one, which I doubt).

If you use GSAK, you can sort for a particular setting.

UNK1

I have no field of 'setting type' to sort on in my database, and I'm just not going to read through 7000 listings to find the one 21 Set in concrete in a clay tile pipe in Arizona (if indeed there is one, which I doubt).

UNK1

Just did a search for "setting: 21" with GSAK for Coconino Co and it showed This Benchmark - FQ0808. The problem is you need to click on the "view original datasheet" button to see the setting "number".

UNK1, you will need to make an adjustment to the rules to allow for this.

John

Over a hundred of them were set in 1915, but someone in a rowboat, along the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers, in New Jersey. Only one was found in 1935. So, I'm not putting out much hope on them either.

I'll probably be in for the contest, though as with previous contests I don't expect I'll have the time to be a serious contender. Personally, I'd like a later start date, due to the snow cover, which should be mostly gone by the end of April.

Like I said though, I don't expect to be a serious contender, so if others want to keep it as is, that's fine here too.

>You must be signed up prior to the start of the contest.

Is there really a need for advanced signup? Why not let people decide any time during the contest they want to start, and try to catch up?

The reason for the sign up period is to get the database set for the score keeping before things get too busy.

It keeps things simple for judging and scoring and producing a running tally for the scoreboard that will be posted in the forums on a regular basis.

UNK1

Okay. Where do I sign up??? Bear and Dolphin are up for another benchmarking challenge. (I assume this is where I sign up???) (Okay. Dolphin is up to a new challenge. Poor Bear!)

Not expecting to do too well at this one, but it will be fun trying! I don't GSAK benchmarks. (I'm not a geek. I'm a curmudgeon! And proud of it!!) And, I've lost interest in refinding benchmarks for contests. Other than that, a new contest sounds like fun! (Though I still want to find a dolphin!!)

May I assume that chiseled crosses, and rivets &c are acceptable as long as the setting is numbered properly?

As long as the contest can be won by mass of recoveries, I'm in. :laughing:

UNK1

I reiterate that there is NO 'setting type' field in my GASK database to sort by.

You are assuming that contestants have created their databases in the same manner that you did.

As long as the contest can be won by mass of recoveries, I'm in. :laughing:

UNK1

Can you explain how to do this in GSAK?

I have tried but maybe we need a marco?

I have a work around since the BMGPX writes them for the NGS Data Sheets I just scroll down and look.

As long as the contest can be won by mass of recoveries, I'm in. :D

UNK1

I reiterate that there is NO 'setting type' field in my GASK database to sort by.

You are assuming that contestants have created their databases in the same manner that you did.

Can you explain how to do this in GSAK?

I have tried but maybe we need a marco?

I have a work around since the BMGPX writes them for the NGS Data Sheets I just scroll down and look.

Here is a screen shot showing the filter box for GSAK. Just choose full text search (the box in yellow) and type in "setting: 21". Change the 21 to what ever setting you wish to search for.

98ae6e5e-15dd-4b20-b7cb-20cc68c71180.jpg

UNK1

So I take it that 'marks' with no setting code, or codes other than those on the list on the sign-up page are not allowed for scoring purposes?

Correct, the setting number from the list on the sign up page is the one that counts. As noted in a previous post, if the GC.com page doesn't show the number you will need to reference the datasheet that GC.com used when they populated their online database. (use the "view original datasheet" button on the benchmark page)

Remember that it is the setting Number that will be used.

UNK1

As long as the contest can be won by mass of recoveries, I'm in. B)

In the midst of processing and I discover that Arizona DOES indeed have [red]ONE[/red] SETTING: 21!

AND it has an [red]UNK[/red] monumentation date!

I am using converted NGS DATASEETS, so I (usually) don't see what is on the Geocaching.com page until I log it.

Also, can we assume that the setting: ## listed on the DATASHEET need not bear any resemblance to what a rational person would consider the setting to be? We have one setting: 39 in Arizona, and it's actually a freeway overpass! B) And set by the NGS even...

I am using converted NGS DATASEETS, so I (usually) don't see what is on the Geocaching.com page until I log it.

Also, can we assume that the setting: ## listed on the DATASHEET need not bear any resemblance to what a rational person would consider the setting to be? We have one setting: 39 in Arizona, and it's actually a freeway overpass! B) And set by the NGS even...

I have not seen any GC.com page that showed a significant difference to the original datasheet.

The options are to cross check the required information prior to hunting the benchmark or verify it when you log the benchmark.

As in another thread here in the forums the benchmark on the face of the dam is listed as being a "Light Structure" setting. There is enough concrete in the dam to build a highway from AZ to Chicago, Illinois. Not exactly a "light structure". So, if the benchmark page has a "#39" setting, then that is what will be scored regardless of the actual setting.

UNK1

Any GSAK macro geeks watching? Can you extract the Settings line and put in one of the user fields with a macro? Haven't had a chance to delve into this yet.... too darn much to read and all I really wanted to do was get out with my new toy and find some marks.

How about chiseled sqaures crosses and such that don't have any other identifying marks?? Maybe a pik with the GPS showing the coordinates?

Any GSAK macro geeks watching? Can you extract the Settings line and put in one of the user fields with a macro? Haven't had a chance to delve into this yet.... too darn much to read and all I really wanted to do was get out with my new toy and find some marks.

How about chiseled sqaures crosses and such that don't have any other identifying marks?? Maybe a pik with the GPS showing the coordinates?

I thought about making one, but it turned out to be unnecessary.

After sorting for the setting code, I used the 'global replace' to fill in all the 'userdata2' fields with the appropriate number.

Using GASK 7.5.1.28 (the latest) things went rather quickly, and speeded up once I realized I didn't need to clear the filter before modifying it for the next setting code search.

Naturally I also searched for UNK, and added that to the 'userdata3' field. :mad:

Edited by AZcachemeister

Upon updating I find there are a few that have no

SETTING:

But instead says

MARKER:

Are these out?

Could you provide a couple of links to those marks?

UNK1

My bad..........

I had some trunicated Data Sheets come to find out.

I have fixed that now.

Way back when it was all new I downloaded within some of the fixes and did not replace them.

I guess I had really not looked deep into them until now.

Thanks

Oh well, I wrote a macro anyway, before I saw AZ's post above. I didn't think of that method before. My macro might be easier / quicker. Depends on your preferences, I guess.

[edited after I figured out what AZ meant, and tried it]

It's good to get in a little practice regardless. :o

I figured it would take me about as long to write and test the macro as it would to do it manually! :mad:

Oh well, I wrote a macro anyway, before I saw AZ's post above. I didn't think of that method before. My macro might be easier / quicker. Depends on your preferences, I guess.

[edited after I figured out what AZ meant, and tried it]

It's good to get in a little practice regardless. :(

I figured it would take me about as long to write and test the macro as it would to do it manually! <_<

Yeay!!

, thnx

I'd opt for a little later starting date if it isn't too late. Like April 1, wouldn't that be appropriate, actually? :laughing:

Also, can't remember if there is some bonus for finding a mark you haven't found yet as opposed to just piling in ones you already know and can just go retake pictures of.

Probably have more questions once I reread all the suggestions, etc. but that's about it for now.

Edited by wvhillbilly59

I'd opt for a little later starting date if it isn't too late. Like April 1, wouldn't that be appropriate, actually? :laughing:

Also, can't remember if there is some bonus for finding a mark you haven't found yet as opposed to just piling in ones you already know and can just go retake pictures of.

Probably have more questions once I reread all the suggestions, etc. but that's about it for now.

I was going to use April 1st as the start date until I figured out that the contest would end on July 1st just in time for the 4th of July holiday. The final scoring would need to be done during the holiday and I hope to be enjoying the holiday instead of tallying the final scoreboard.

UNK1

So.. if I have a pair of threes and a plethora of eights but no fives, can i trade one of my eights for a five with someone??

Yes

Can you use them in This contest?

Maybe

UNK1

YES??!!!! Hehe :laughing: once i thought of that I had to post it.

I guess the details are forthcoming but I still haven't figured out how we are posting our finds for the contest. Did I miss something?