any S.D. cacher using the Geo Application on a IPhone?

Team Duckit

I'm thinking about getting a Iphone next month and I just saw here they have a Groundspeak Geocaching IPhone Application

Are there any local cacher's with this download loaded on a IPhone ??? and if so how do you like it ???

Chris / Team Duckit

I've had my iPhone since July 2008, and it's without question the best electronic device I've ever purchased for myself. Yes, I bought the app after trying the free GopherLite one. Both have thier pluses & minuses. Am I glad I have them? Yes. There have been upgrades to the apps which I've greatly appreciated. For example, now I can post a "field note" from the app after finding (or not) a cache. Then pull up my profile and post it. I like that! What else would you like to know?

I'm thinking about getting a Iphone next month and I just saw here they have a Groundspeak Geocaching IPhone Application

Are there any local cacher's with this download loaded on a IPhone ??? and if so how do you like it ???

Chris / Team Duckit

I've had my iPhone since July 2008, and it's without question the best electronic device I've ever purchased for myself. Yes, I bought the app after trying the free GopherLite one. Both have thier pluses & minuses. Am I glad I have them? Yes. There have been upgrades to the apps which I've greatly appreciated. For example, now I can post a "field note" from the app after finding (or not) a cache. Then pull up my profile and post it. I like that! What else would you like to know?

I don't even own a cell phone. 00020344.gif

EMC of Northridge uses the app on her iPhone. The really big benefit is being able to spontaneously cache without having to get a PQ ahead of time. Just look up nearest caches and go. The accuracy of the compass and GPS is not as good as a dedicated unit like a Garmin or something. She used her iPhone on a recent trip to Europe and said next time she would bring her Garmin along.

I have the application for my iPhone, and I've found it very useful and easily worth the $10. Concur with Showstop that it really isn't good as a dedicated GPS, but great for those times when you find yourself in a new area with a few minutes to spare for caching. It's also nice to pull up recent logs if your GPX file is a little stale. The program is still in development, and new features are added with every new release, like fieldnote logging recently was. Updates are free, BTW. On a recent puppy hunt in an unfamiliar area to me with dtn, BE1 and PQGT, using my iPhone I was able to get the cache info for a puppy not in my GPX file, find and route to the best trailhead access using google maps satellite view, and then after switching to google street view, determine the trailhead was behind an AM/PM. All from the backseat.

-Tony

Edited by bitmap

Are you inquiring about geocache navigator by trimble? If so, I use it on my Blackberry and like it.

I think this is something different ???

I believe they are describing the software by trimble....instant downloads...fieldnotes, blah blah blah. I just tested the free trial and bought the 5.99 a month subscription a few days ago. Go to www.trimbleoutdoors.com to verify

Are you inquiring about geocache navigator by trimble? If so, I use it on my Blackberry and like it.

I think this is something different ???

I believe they are describing the software by trimble....instant downloads...fieldnotes, blah blah blah. I just tested the free trial and bought the 5.99 a month subscription a few days ago. Go to www.trimbleoutdoors.com to verify

Woah, a monthly fee :laughing: ? Groundspeak's Geocaching iPhone app is a one time deal for $9.99. iPhone App There are also a number of lesser priced and free applications as well. I'd say I've definitely gotten my moneys worth, and I'm sure more improvements/upgrades are in the works.

I believe they are describing the software by trimble....instant downloads...fieldnotes, blah blah blah....

Blah, blah, blah? Yeah, real nice. Sorry to bore you with feature details.

Anyway, Trimble Navigator is different and doesn't run on the iPhone. Although they may share similar features, as Boysnbarrie pointed out, the Groundspeak iPhone application doesn't have a monthly subscription fee to use.

-Tony

I've had my iPhone for about six months, and it's great! I don't know what I would do without it.

I wouldn't dream of using the iPhone as a primary geocaching GPS, it might do fine but the iPhone isn't known for extraordinary battery life, but it's great for reading GC notes and hints on the field, posting logs, and finding nearby caches.

The iPhone app is great, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

My only complaint is that the iPhone app's "Saved Caches" and the GC Site's "Bookmarks" aren't the same thing. I haven't found a way to mange the iPhone apps' list of caches with the GC site on my computer.

Having to maintain two separate lists (one on GC, and one on iPhone app) is definitely extra work, but it's better than logging all my finds on the iPhone keyboard.

Merge the two cache-list paradigms into one that's accessible with both the iPhone and the GC website.

Also I'd like to see some sort of solution where on the field I could just "check-off" a cache once I've found it, then when I get home later, the GC site shows me the same list, with everything I've already checked as found, then it's simple to go through and log each one.

I still think it was worth the $10.

And if the price-tag isn't too big of an issue, the iPhone is definitely worth it!!

-Adam

I purchased the app last weekend and had an opportunity to try it out. Some of my comments should be take with a grain of salt, as I do not have a 3G iPhone, so some of the problem might be related to that.

Downloading the app was pretty easy as you use the iTunes music store, or over the wireless network. I decided to see if I could Geocache without paper or any printed material. For the most part I was successful, but it took me a while to understand how the app worked.

Lessons learned:

* When you load a cache, save it. Otherwise you have to keep searching for it by number.

* Location for (find caches) was way off many times. This could be due to the fact it's not a 3G and it's using wiifi signals instead of GPS.

* The application kept quitting and going back to my top menu.

* The application seems to take long time to load.

* No access to your bookmarks

* No UTM values (makes it hard to put into your gps unless you know how to switch back and forth)

Features I love:

* No paper needed

* Details and Hint all easily available

* Recent Logs really helped for more clues

* Search for nearby caches is a fantastic feature (assuming it knows where you are)

So is this app worth $10? Heck yes! I have spent way more for far less. I would love to see some feature enhancements and how much better it runs on a 3g iPhone (might have to go get one now).

Thanks,

-Steve

I primarily use my eXplorist 500 for caching and the iPhone app as an addition for more paperless caching. The only down fall is if you lose signal, you lose the app. I started off using the field not function the other day on our 130 caches in a day trip to Porterville, but then I lost signal and that went out the window. I still ended up relying on my handwritten list for logging later.

I have used the iPhone all by itself a dozen times or more to make finds. I don't even mess with the compass and just use the map function on satellite view.

If you are going to get an iPhone, spend the $10 on the GC app. I liked the latest revision too so that gives me hope GS will keep improving it.