FTF

RuideAlmeida

I guess technically we "met" online - he started caching about 9 months after I did, and he lived nearby, so our respective names kept popping up on the same caches.

We missed each other sometimes by minutes on FTF attempts :D He told me that once he FTF'd one and hung around for a while to see if I'd show up (I did but over an hour later as I was at work - he didn't wait that long!).

We had corresponded through GC for hints on caches and he placed a series of themed caches, and I'd contacted him to ask on behalf of my son about gold panning (he had gold mining themed caches and there's a lot of old mines and places to pan around here). My son wanted to learn about gold panning and one of his caches had an open invitation to go panning for any cacher that was interested.

We finally met face to face at an event cache (with 30 other people!) after about 3 months of the occasional cache-related email and never managing to be at the same cache at the same time. It was a month or so later that he invited me out on a date.

I'd been divorced for a couple of years, and I had a "train wreck" relationship after that, and was just happy and content on my own, doing my thing, and seriously caching, when he came along! I certainly wasn't looking for anybody - in fact when he asked me to go on a date, my gal friends had to convince me to accept - not because I didn't find him handsome and charming - but I didn't know if I was ready. I'm glad I took my good friends' advice :)

Jenn

Edited by JennM

What is the true meaning of an FTF?

What makes you running for another... or not?

Which was your best one? Tell us your thoughts and thrills...

Have no desire to have first-to-find honors at all.

If I happen to get to the cache and sign the log first - couldn't care one way or the other. Its not what I do the hobby for.

Cachers that don't have a lot of FTF's always say that.. :D

I started seeking FTFs just to spite the local legends. Ends up I turned into one of them. But I don't go too crazy.. if it isn't 8 miles or less I have no shot and don't even try. If it does fit that criteria, then a FTF is worth everything.. cold dinners, lost relationships, speeding tickets, you name it.

I guess technically we "met" online - he started caching about 9 months after I did, and he lived nearby, so our respective names kept popping up on the same caches.

We missed each other sometimes by minutes on FTF attempts :D He told me that once he FTF'd one and hung around for a while to see if I'd show up (I did but over an hour later as I was at work - he didn't wait that long!).

We had corresponded through GC for hints on caches and he placed a series of themed caches, and I'd contacted him to ask on behalf of my son about gold panning (he had gold mining themed caches and there's a lot of old mines and places to pan around here). My son wanted to learn about gold panning and one of his caches had an open invitation to go panning for any cacher that was interested.

We finally met face to face at an event cache (with 30 other people!) after about 3 months of the occasional cache-related email and never managing to be at the same cache at the same time. It was a month or so later that he invited me out on a date.

I'd been divorced for a couple of years, and I had a "train wreck" relationship after that, and was just happy and content on my own, doing my thing, and seriously caching, when he came along! I certainly wasn't looking for anybody - in fact when he asked me to go on a date, my gal friends had to convince me to accept - not because I didn't find him handsome and charming - but I didn't know if I was ready. I'm glad I took my good friends' advice :)

Jenn

So sweet Jenn... your story should be here http://onlinegeocacher.com/

I think somebody asked me if they could retell the story someplace once and I said it was fine - but I don't know where they published it.

I'd hoped to see a copy or link but didn't receive one then I promptly forgot about it.

I have a good memory - it's just short. :D

Got another FTF this morning and DNF another on a try for one!

Jenn