JUNE6 - SPRING FLING MEGA (?)

Juicepig

Ironically, this forum thread has been one of the best advertisements we could have asked for in terms of event promotions! Look at those views!

Wonder how come just over 1100 views for this thread and "Where to buy camo tape?" generates over 1800 views. Maybe you need a catchier title.

Just signed up and looking forward to attending because it looks like a well thought out event and is close by, not because of the MEGA designation which really doesn't mean a thing to me.

The constructed a wooden, roofless shower stall platform for SF3, for SF4 we got running water, and for SF5 we now have a water heater! Still no roof on it yet - but it feels amazing to shower while looking at the sky :)

Here are some older pictures of it (note that it now has stairs, and instead of a barrel it has a door now i believe):

I used those showers at the last Spring Fling and there was definitively a door! There also was hot water. I was a bit sceptical of the "solar water heater" (a coil of black plastic pipe on the roof of the shed), but it turned out to be so efficient the water was a bit too hot for me :laughing:

Add to that the fact that the campground is covered in a thick comfy mattress of pine needles, and it's really a great place for camping :o

Ohhh cool! What is the story behind this? Did he rescue it or something like that?

If I recall correctly team "Rainbows connections" found the grackle in a fight with crows and nursed him back to health. He can't fly, but he dances a good jig!

Ohhh cool! What is the story behind this? Did he rescue it or something like that?

If I recall correctly team "Rainbows connections" found the grackle in a fight with crows and nursed him back to health. He can't fly, but he dances a good jig!

Waaay cool! thanks for sharing!

Noticed on the COG Fling website that shower facilities are "primitive"... Are they your typical conservation area "loonie-in for 5 minutes of hot water in a cement room" kinda primitive or something else? I personally don't care, but my gf might. :D

Its not quite a bucket in a tree. :)

The constructed a wooden, roofless shower stall platform for SF3, for SF4 we got running water, and for SF5 we now have a water heater! Still no roof on it yet - but it feels amazing to shower while looking at the sky :laughing:

Here are some older pictures of it (note that it now has stairs, and instead of a barrel it has a door now i believe):

6e78c5bb-ce71-4dc1-aca1-52a2d6f23de0.jpg

af5e29e5-fe09-4610-bb98-d25222f922c6.jpg

Ah... "Barrel for a door" kind of primitive. I actually half-expected the bucket treatment :o

So... uh... are people all showering together in this waterhut? Those aren't the "caches" I'd like to find :laughing:

2 months to go!

Checked up on the campground/shower/washroom/parking situation at tiffin this weekend (before the snow hit) everything is in order. We will have parking for everyone, but plead with you to carpool.. y'know because its good for the environment! :)<_<

Fling page now has a "news" page detailing recent developments, please check back here often - especially in the days leading up to the fling. We will have maps, printouts, and even a GPX file online to download before heading to the event.

Don't worry if you come unprepared though, Dano's Dongle hut will be set up again this year to upload the events waypoints, new caches, emergency water stations, and washrooms!

3421281578_bd0803a080.jpg

Edited by Juicepig

There will (likely) be Satellite events on Friday night, or Sunday morning. Camping is availiable on site, and Hotels are just 10 minutes away if your a fan of running water.

As a fan of hot running water and other creature comforts I will not be camping. Did find a good deal at Georgian College Residences.. two bedroom suite for $65 a night, coffee and internet included. :rolleyes:

Murfster

(Edit to reduce quote)

Edited by murfster

As a fan of hot running water and other creature comforts I will not be camping. Did find a good deal at Georgian College Residences.. two bedroom suite for $65 a night, coffee and internet included. :lol:

Oh ya! forgot about those guys!

Georgian College rents out its dorm rooms during the summer, and acts as a hostel. Good price, and you get the interesting atmosphere of being back in University :rolleyes:

As a fan of hot running water and other creature comforts I will not be camping. Did find a good deal at Georgian College Residences.. two bedroom suite for $65 a night, coffee and internet included. :lol:

Oh ya! forgot about those guys!

Georgian College rents out its dorm rooms during the summer, and acts as a hostel. Good price, and you get the interesting atmosphere of being back in University :rolleyes:

Not like any University/College I have ever seen! Private bathrooms in the units, kitchette, airconditioning... cable TV.. There are bigger suites available as well as singles.

The last two times we've been to Barrie, we've stayed at a hotel near Molson Park. Isquba&Nawty had told us about Georgian College, but we forgot about it.

We might stay here too.

As a fan of hot running water and other creature comforts I will not be camping. Did find a good deal at Georgian College Residences.. two bedroom suite for $65 a night, coffee and internet included.

4 week reminder! Here are some pointers to getting past the lines!

Our Burger sampling parties are over (best excuse to go geocaching, EVER), the caches have been placed for the most part, the i's have been dotted, and the t has been warned about the J's (who are jealous of the i's. We are accepting Pre-registrations until May 27, which will let you skip the line (if there is one - we have a system). It also ensures we have enough burgers for you should you want.. say.. 50 burgers.

Thanks to the over 600 people who have now signed up to attend, we will do our best to accommodate you. We will be the worlds first GIGA-Event, though Groundspeak has neglected to comment on our Icon request. ;)

Please funnel towards the posted coordinates June 6, The Jose building will house most of the services for the day. Also pay close attention to the Fling site - http://cogfling.ca/ - a GPX will be posted with points of interest for the day (ie. washrooms, medical staff, water coolers, and maybe a geocache or two) upload this before you come, and you can skip Dano's Dongle Hut!

I'm looking forward to my first Spring Fling and have two questions.

1) When do the caches "placed along side" Spring Fling go live? I usually print out cache pages or at least write down the pertinent details before heading out. If the caches don't go live until June 6th, will there be any computer access at the Fling to get details of caches?

2) Do caches placed specially for Spring Fling generally contain swag? I'm asking because while swag doesn't figure much into my caching pleasure, it has some importance for the 8 and 10 year old members of Team_BG who will be accompanying me.

I imagine the event's organizers are all very busy with last minute preparations ... so if anyone who has been to Spring Fling before knows the answers to my newbie Qs, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Now back to making offerings to the weather gods for a weekend without rain, hail, snow or sleet. :D

I will take a crack at answering your questions.

If by "going live" you mean when do they get published, I think the plan is to publish them either Saturday or Sunday. The one exception is my Wherigo which has already been published.

If you preregistered, I think they emailed you a document that includes all the cache details.

There is NO internet access on site.

Don't know about swag. My Wherigo does not contain any swag. Gave up on that years ago. Sorry.

I'm looking forward to my first Spring Fling and have two questions.

1) When do the caches "placed along side" Spring Fling go live? I usually print out cache pages or at least write down the pertinent details before heading out. If the caches don't go live until June 6th, will there be any computer access at the Fling to get details of caches?

They will be published June 7, as both reviewers are busy on the 6th :P

2) Do caches placed specially for Spring Fling generally contain swag? I'm asking because while swag doesn't figure much into my caching pleasure, it has some importance for the 8 and 10 year old members of Team_BG who will be accompanying me.

Any caches that are larger then micro contain swag - The handout given at registration has the cache sizes on it.

They will be published June 7, as both reviewers are busy on the 6th :P

Any caches that are larger then micro contain swag - The handout given at registration has the cache sizes on it.

Thanks, Juicepig. The girls will be glad about the swag.

I think I was confused about when caches would be published as the earthcache and the Wherigo caches are both already published. So, just be sure I'm understanding the process ... the handout given at registration has co-ordinates/cache sizes, etc .. .is that right?

Tequila mentioned a document emailed to people who pre-registered. I pre-registered way back when but don't recall receiving any emails. But it sounds as if all I'll need will be in the handout once I show up.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

CanadaKate

I think I was confused about when caches would be published as the earthcache and the Wherigo caches are both already published. So, just be sure I'm understanding the process ... the handout given at registration has co-ordinates/cache sizes, etc .. .is that right?

Yup! Everything will be at your fingertips at the fling!

Tequila mentioned a document emailed to people who pre-registered. I pre-registered way back when but don't recall receiving any emails. But it sounds as if all I'll need will be in the handout once I show up.

I will email you to get that sorted out. It was sent to the address you registered with paypal.

Yup! Everything will be at your fingertips at the fling!

I will email you to get that sorted out. It was sent to the address you registered with paypal.

Thanks, Juicepig. You're a prince of a pig. Almost as wonderful as Wilbur ... and a spring pig too.

See you at the Fling. :P

Probably a silly question.. :anibad: ( There are many things I've yet to learn.)

But what do I do with the Tiffin Trail GPX file? Is that the trails or caches in the park?

I can deal with caches but see nothing when I pull the gpx file into gsak??

Help.... :)

Looking forward to Saturday...

Murfster

Probably a silly question.. :anibad: ( There are many things I've yet to learn.)

But what do I do with the Tiffin Trail GPX file? Is that the trails or caches in the park?

Murfster

It is a series of track logs for many many trails in Ontario, not just Tiffen.

Use a program like Mapsource to read it.

Murfster

It is a series of track logs for many many trails in Ontario, not just Tiffen.

Use a program like Mapsource to read it.

That's what I thought.. but in my mapsource I can not import/open gpx that is why I always went through gask to export. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edited by murfster

OK so I'm a few versions behind.. I knew my maps were old but never thought about MapSource. I'm downloading the newer version ( 6.15) as I write this. Thanks!

FYI, You can put the Tiffen Trails (and more) right on your Garmin GPS if you use the Ontario Trails Project files (it's the same data for Tiffen). You will definately need the current version of Mapsource to view the GPX File.

http://trailmaps.torontogeocaching.com

OK so I'm a few versions behind.. I knew my maps were old but never thought about MapSource. I'm downloading the newer version ( 6.15) as I write this. Thanks!

FYI, You can put the Tiffen Trails (and more) right on your Garmin GPS if you use the Ontario Trails Project files (it's the same data for Tiffen). You will definately need the current version of Mapsource to view the GPX File.

http://trailmaps.torontogeocaching.com

Thanks... nice to learn something new. See you later today!

Murfster... from da res!

Anyone who didn't make it out to this event, missed a good one.

Everything was picture perfect. Great attendance. Well organized. No lineups. Lots of food. Lots of caches, games, fun.

The Organizing Committee deserve a big round of applause for pulling this off.

It was EXCELLENT.

Anyone who didn't make it out to this event, missed a good one.

Everything was picture perfect. Great attendance. Well organized. No lineups. Lots of food. Lots of caches, games, fun.

The Organizing Committee deserve a big round of applause for pulling this off.

It was EXCELLENT.

I second that! We were bad attendees - had not dowloaded the caches, not pre-registered... But we were welcomed with lots of sympathy by the "orange shirts"! Registering and dowloading the caches was fast and easy, the hamburgers for lunch were really delicious; there were plenty of caches to hunt for all day long and also funny games and activities for everyone (the final prize draw was so exciting!). We had a lot of fun meeting other geocachers and even among more than 500 people we felt the event was custom made for ourselves!

Thank you so much to all the organizers, volunteers and participants ;)

I second that! Thank you so much to all the organizers, volunteers and participants ;)

I'll third that on behalf of myself and the two junior members of Team_BG.

Special thanks to all those experienced cachers who cheerfully signed S of Team_BG's "Geocachers Scavenger Hunt" sheet so that she could complete all 36 squares.

The organization was amazing ... all the orange shirts remained cheerful and helpful all day long.

Can't wait for next year. ;)

Now this is a mega. GeoWoodstock VII. 757 "accounts" have posted will attends. I wonder if they are spamming in logs, caches, and Facebook, like people are for spring fling?

At the risk of saying something that later, I may wish I had not ...

I wonder if Keith is as nasty as his words sound or if he is just kidding around?

edit was to fix grammar

My feelings exactly ..,...from the Mon of Monterry

Congrats to COG for getting Mega status. I'm pleased to have been at both of the Mega events in Canada. Both were excellently run events with lots of fun and each had their own unique offerings. Now I will have to make an effort to attend Canada's 3rd Mega event whereever that one may be...sounds like there might be a few next year.

Well done.

...at the risk of repetition, but in the interest of forum accuracy...

GC1MGEV (CENTRAL ONTARIO GEOCACHERS SPRING FLING 5) has been recognized by Groundspeak as a MEGA EVENT

COG SPRING FLING 5

This was my first Mega Event and I can't imagine a better organized/managed event. The team should be very proud of this achievement and the opportunity they gave to so many cachers in the area.

Congratulations on holding the second Mega event in Canada.

Thanks Keith (and everyone else; just logical to "Reply" to Keith's note as it at the bottom of the thread)!

Yes, Quebec and Ontario have now both been able to get a "Mega" icon within their walls! I'm sure that are few other provinces will be able to get their required attendance level as the game becomes more and more popular.

GC1MGEV (Spring Fling 5) was fantastic; even if the blaze orange shirts are not slimming...!!!!

Looking forward to Spring Fling 6... and beyond.

Congratulations on holding the second Mega event in Canada.

Thanks Keith (and everyone else; just logical to "Reply" to Keith's note as it at the bottom of the thread)!

Yes, Quebec and Ontario have now both been able to get a "Mega" icon within their walls! I'm sure that are few other provinces will be able to get their required attendance level as the game becomes more and more popular.

GC1MGEV (Spring Fling 5) was fantastic; even if the blaze orange shirts are not slimming...!!!!

Looking forward to Spring Fling 6... and beyond.

I thought you looked pretty cute in orange. :D

I can't help but see a lot of logs and even the COG website claiming Spring Fling 5 as the first mega in Canada and the largest event in Canada. From what i understand Quebec had over 750 people attend their event. Is there any reason why some organizers and attenders believe Quebec was smaller and not a mega? Doesn't seam fair for their event to be diminished like that.

I would like to see an event become a mega on its own merits, not be a mega because people think or want it to be a mega. The Allegany event became a mega after the fact and the icon was changed because they got the numbers. One has to wonder how many people will be attending because it is a well run event with interesting things to do, and how many will be attending just to attend a mega event. One also has to wonder how many of the current will attends represent a real commitment to attend. No point in personally logging a will attend until I am sure I will be able to come. As for an event being a mega, this should only be done after the numbers have been collected and the attendance has been verified.

well there you have it! Thanks everyone for participating in the discussion, and the event!!!

Topic can be closed.

Any further discussion about the various issues Kieth has brought up can be put on the Greater Horseshoe area geocachers forum.