JUNE6 - SPRING FLING MEGA (?)

Juicepig

If you haven't heard already, Central Ontario Geocachers will be holding their Fifth Annual Spring Fling this year - And given the numbers last year we don't think it is too much of a stretch to start dreaming in MEGAEVENT terms!

If you a free June 6 we welcome you to the Barrie Ontario Area, and Tiffin Conservation Area. There are hundreds of acres that we will be setting up caches in, activities, seminars that you can attend.. and of course the infamous Trentwhich - The Hamburger that causes forum monitors to drop a bead of sweat, and wonder if I just swore, or insulted a religion.

There will (likely) be Satellite events on Friday night, or Sunday morning. Camping is availiable on site, and Hotels are just 10 minutes away if your a fan of running water.

Mark it on your Calendar, and PLEASE post a will attend so we know if we will be getting close to Mega status or not.

Visit the Cache page, or Fling website for more information!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GC 1 MeGa EVent !!!!!!!!!!!!

site_logo.gif

Wow! Greetings to the East Coasters! What a blast it would be to have attendees at the fling from out East!

If you can find a group of people, you might even consider the idea of a group trip to Ontario for the fling! I know that there was talk last year of a group-trip for West-coasters to come in from BC and Alberta, picking up folks along the way.

Even if you are "Humming and Hawing" on details of a trip of this nature, just remember... Think about the powers of fate that brought the GC code "GC1MGEV"! How could anyone not want to be a part of that... It's going to be history!

I soooo wanted to go to this event. I had even added my "yes" to the page on gc.com... but that night after doing that I realized that I can not! My daughter's prom is on June 5 and, of course, I have be around for that! And I live just far enough away from Barrie that I would not be able to travel up the next morning in time to be there for the event!

I am looking forward to seeing pictures!!!!!

You can show up late - Just let us know your coming. Find an Orange shirt when you get there and they can arrange to get you a welcome package!

Camp over Saturday night and you can even make up for it in the morning!

Well... since you asked so nicely and made such a great suggestion, how could I say no! We will be there. I have already added our attendance on the event posting!

Thanks JP!

we need 500 people saying they will attend. If you are considering it please post a will attend!

Is that 500 geocaching.com accounts that have to post a will attend?

They sent me an quote from the guidelines: "the organizers must demonstrate a substantial likelihood that at least 500 people will attend the event"

We have a ranged estimate of our attendance so far that is looking good (its only been published for a week now!), so we will reply back to them when we reach the magic number!

Keep posting those will attends folks! (that includes you Keith! :laughing: )

we need 500 people saying they will attend. If you are considering it please post a will attend!

Is that 500 geocaching.com accounts that have to post a will attend?

They sent me an quote from the guidelines: "the organizers must demonstrate a substantial likelihood that at least 500 people will attend the event"

The PTB response is as clear as mud! 500 people is not 500 geocaching.com accounts. Some profiles are teams of multiple players. 1 account ... 3 attendees. I'm not caught up in the numbers but would love to see this event go Mega by whatever count gets Ontario there faster!

I would like to see an event become a mega on its own merits, not be a mega because people think or want it to be a mega. The Allegany event became a mega after the fact and the icon was changed because they got the numbers. One has to wonder how many people will be attending because it is a well run event with interesting things to do, and how many will be attending just to attend a mega event. One also has to wonder how many of the current will attends represent a real commitment to attend. No point in personally logging a will attend until I am sure I will be able to come. As for an event being a mega, this should only be done after the numbers have been collected and the attendance has been verified.

Seriously, I'm attending cause JuicePig's one cool pig. I met this cacher at another caching event and had alot of good fun with JP and friends. Also I looked at the pics from the spring fling for the last few years and by gosh it looks well run and well attended. Mega or not The Pony and I will attend. Maybe we'll even invite some muggles we know who live in the Barrie area. See you all there!

I have to agree that Mega status should be based on attendance, not will attend.

Having said that, if any Ontario event is going to make mega status, it will be Spring Fling.

It is extremely well organized, in a great location and offers lots of interesting caches and fun games. Something for all ages. In the past, facilities to load waypoints was great. Presales of food/drink eliminates lineups etc.

A great event all around.

Let's hope we get 500 attendees and then no one can claim there should be an "*" on the mega designation.

Keith, I appologize for being out of line and inviting you. It wont happen again.

It's not really my event, but we require an advertiser. We don't have as many cachers up here as New York.

Nothing wrong with inviting me unless the motivation was just to get the numbers up. I can understand wanting to get as many people as possible, I have held a few events of my own. I just believe people should require no motivation to attend an event other than to attend. One problem I see with using will attends as a qualification for a mega event is that many people could just get fifty people to post they are bringing nine friends, or pad the will attends with sock puppets. This would not be fair to events that get more than 500 if the will attends are padded and only 300 people show up.

i havent asked anyone to post their sock puppets attendance, and have in fact told people NOT to post will attends with their sock puppets.

Our count at this piont is based on non-sock puppet accounts, and that will be forwarded to Groundspeak when we get the numbers

If you got a sock puppet, please dont post a will attend (i think there is like 5 will attends like this at the moment).

Also please note that there are more then 5 will attends.

i havent asked anyone to post their sock puppets attendance, and have in fact told people NOT to post will attends with their sock puppets.

Our count at this piont is based on non-sock puppet accounts, and that will be forwarded to Groundspeak when we get the numbers

If you got a sock puppet, please dont post a will attend (i think there is like 5 will attends like this at the moment).

Also please note that there are more then 5 will attends.

Not to worry... I have no sock puppets... I out grew that stage :laughing:

We've already got 6 smiley's for mega's, but we plan to drive ~750 Km (one way) because it's an opportunity to hang out with our Canadian caching friends for a day or so. We enjoyed last year's event and my wife said she wanted to come back again this year.

One has to wonder how many people will be attending because it is a well run event with interesting things to do, and how many will be attending just to attend a mega event.
One has to wonder how many people will be attending because it is a well run event with interesting things to do, and how many will be attending just to attend a mega event.

Kinda like creating a lame caches just to get the icon.

Edited by Tequila

Kinda like creating a lame caches just to get the icon.

I don't see the connection. Correct me if I am wrong. It looks like you are stating that in order to place a cache, the placer has to place a cache worthy of the icon. Worthiness is subjective as listing a cache is quantifiable by the guidelines. I hope you are not suggesting cachers not be allowed to place caches based on what other cachers think. Maybe the placer wanted to place a lame cache. If the guidelines are met, I don't why any cacher should not be permitted to place a cache, regardless of their "motivation".

What I was referring to was a self fulfilling prophecy. Post an event and people will come. There have been exceptions to that in the past. Hype up the event and more people will come. Advertise the event on cache listings and you will get more attention. Offer prizes and give aways and more will probably come. Over the past few years this has been the normal for Spring Fling and it has not yet achieved Mega. As there are few Mega events around, they tend to draw a lot of attention. I don't think anyone can deny that there are people who will attend an event simply because it is a Mega event. If the goal of an event's organizers is to host a Mega event, and it is accepted that some will attend because they want to attend a Mega, then the attendance will be increases by people wanting to attend a Mega event. If enough momentum is gained, then the event will go Mega and thus you have a self fulfilling prophecy.

I have been to two Mega events. One that was listed as a mega and provided virtually nothing to do except for a coin swap, lunch, and lots of socializing. The second was not listed as a mega, but post event had its icon changed after the attendance surpassed the requirement for a Mega. This event had all sorts of things to do and meals over the course of a weekend. Conclusions based on my experience are, creating an event for the sole purpose of being a Mega worked. Running a well organized and well executed event with interesting things to do and see will draw enough people that the organizers don't have to flash the word Mega around.

Edited by Keith Watson

Spring Fling V,V,V,V,V

One weekend only

Could be MEGA,MEGA,MEGA,MEGA,MEGA

Book now, organizers are standing by.

This is not a paid promotion. The organizers of Spring Fling V had nothing to do with it. The word MEGA is used only as an example of what could happen, even though many people may wish it would, and is not guaranteed to happen. The word MEGA should not be viewed as a cheep gimmick to further the attendance of the event as it may not have been intended as that. Offer void where prohibited by law.

Better?

Edited by Keith Watson

Spring Fling V,V,V,V,V

One weekend only

Could be MEGA,MEGA,MEGA,MEGA,MEGA

Book now, organizers are standing by.

This is not a paid promotion. The organizers of Spring Fling V had nothing to do with it. The word MEGA is used only as an example of what could happen, even though many people may wish it would, and is not guaranteed to happen. The word MEGA should not be viewed as a cheep gimmick to further the attendance of the event as it may not have been intended as that. Offer void where prohibited by law.

Better?

Much better. Does that mean you are coming?

There will also be a campout event the night before with live music from some musicians from Peterborough - And possibly a CITO the day after, just to make sure we dont leave a mess :D

More details when they get put together (and pushed through the appeals process of course)

I generally try to attend every Event that I can. Life outside of Geocaching does not always permit this to happen, but I do wish that I could. If I could attend every event, I would.... all Events are fun and social and worth going to IMHO. The same cannot be said of every cache, and in that respect I choose to be selective. But I know that with an Event Cache is it very likely that it will be enjoyable.

When it comes to Spring Fling, I will drive that distance because I know of the quality I will be getting from it. A lot goes into this bigger event, and it shows.

Will Spring Fling be Mega? Honestly, I don't care but if that is the hopes of the hosts then I hope they are successful. I'll have the same fun whether the speech bubble has a word in it or not.

All I can say is that if you want to attend an event with a proven track record of being extremely well organized and has lots to amuse yourselves with, for a low cost... you can't go wrong with COG Spring Fling.

<_< BQ

edit: typo

Edited by The Blue Quasar
Now this is a mega. GeoWoodstock VII. 757 "accounts" have posted will attends. I wonder if they are spamming in logs, caches, and Facebook, like people are for spring fling?

Still bitter about not being un-invited?

GW had quite a head start

GWVIII - 757 will attend entries / 285 days since published = 2.66 wa's/day

SFV - 192 will attend entries / 23 days since published = 8.35 wa's/day

Logs - not by any of the organizing committee, nor did we ask them to do so. If you wanna take a crack at policing other peoples logs feel free to bring it up with them.

Caches - Don't look at COG caches - it will save you time.

Facebook - We sent a special invite to the COG facebook group, as it is a COG event - if you don't want mail from us then leave the group.

Feel free to ask us to revoke your COG membership too. :)

Now this is a mega. GeoWoodstock VII. 757 "accounts" have posted will attends. I wonder if they are spamming in logs, caches, and Facebook, like people are for spring fling?

Logs - not by any of the organizing committee, nor did we ask them to do so. If you wanna take a crack at policing other peoples logs feel free to bring it up with them.

Facebook - We sent a special invite to the COG facebook group, as it is a COG event - if you don't want mail from us then leave the group.

Feel free to ask us to revoke your COG membership too. :)

By that math, you should have at least 968 posted will attends by the time of the event. I eagerly look to see that.

I never said there was anything wrong with the spam. Just wondering if GeoWoodstock did that. As for policing cache pages and and logs, that is up to someone else to decide what is proper usage and what isn't.

Are we to expect further advertising of the event by placing caches before the event to advertise th event? I noticed for the past two years, at least, caches were placed called Spring Fling ...

At the risk of saying something that later, I may wish I had not ...

I wonder if Keith is as nasty as his words sound or if he is just kidding around?

edit was to fix grammar

Edited by brendah

We arent trying to compete with GW7 - we even held it on a different day this year :)

I never said there was anything wrong with the spam. Just wondering if GeoWoodstock did that.

pretty sure they let everyone on their mailing list know about it, If you sign up for an account on their site you can get frequent "spammings" with updates on how things are going!

Are we to expect further advertising of the event by placing caches before the event to advertise th event? I noticed for the past two years, at least, caches were placed called Spring Fling ...

nope! we are running a series of new initiatives which should present themselves this weekend

Edited by Juicepig

Going to COG Spring Fling 5 seems a lot more fun that GeoWoodstock 7.... mostly because everyone at COG Spring Fling 5 is fairly local. There is comfort in talking about local caches with those that create them and have experienced them over time.

Nothing wrong with GeoWoodstock, but if I had to choose... there really is no choice. I'll hang with my friends and meet more locals, the people that I read about in the logs and these forums. And of course, enjoy the awesome hospitality of this group of people.

:) BQ

Nothing wrong with GeoWoodstock, but if I had to choose... there really is no choice. I'll hang with my friends and meet more locals, the people that I read about in the logs and these forums. And of course, enjoy the awesome hospitality of this group of people.

I have to agree with BQ here. I've travelled to mega events hundreds of kilometers from home. I'd rather go to Spring Fling than GW7. Big time.

It sounds like this year's SF will be a fresher, newer installment in the series, and I'm looking forward to it. Hope you manage to pull off the 'mega' - will be nice to see one occur in Ontario.

Feel free to ask us to revoke your COG membership too. :D

By that math, you should have at least 968 posted will attends by the time of the event. I eagerly look to see that.

I never said there was anything wrong with the spam. Just wondering if GeoWoodstock did that. As for policing cache pages and and logs, that is up to someone else to decide what is proper usage and what isn't.

I was looking for the part in this post where the guy with all the issues, who is seemingly causing the most grief, actually had something constructive to say. Unfortunately, I just find a lot of rhetoric and negativity towards a group of people who are trying to run an event while perhaps achieving a milestone for caching in Ontario.

To me, it sounds as though these folks have their gig under control and I'm not sure I see any valid reason to question any perceived motives; I look forward to going to this event regardless of it's status. My suggestion might be to assist or stay out of the way since nobody really likes the kid who just stamps his feet and pouts to get attention. :)

Edited by Dr. House

I was looking for the part in this post where the guy with all the issues, who is seemingly causing the most grief, actually had something constructive to say. Unfortunately, I just find a lot of rhetoric and negativity towards a group of people who are trying to run an event while perhaps achieving a milestone for caching in Ontario.

To me, it sounds as though these folks have their gig under control and I'm not sure I see any valid reason to question any perceived motives; I look forward to going to this event regardless of it's status. My suggestion might be to assist or stay out of the way since nobody really likes the kid who just stamps his feet and pouts to get attention. :)

Thanks Dr. House. Just like any cache type or any event, there will be folks who don't appreciate one way or the other. We do aspire to have a MEGA event this year, and we have done advertising in the form of posts to forums and cache page banners etc, but we have done this in the past, regardless of event status. This is typically just how we got the word out.

The very first Spring Fling was held in 2004 and commanded a whopping 60-80 people. Nowadays, its not uncommon to see pub nights at that size. As each year went by, we found new and exciting things to do, we gained people interested in helping to plan and organize, and it just grew. We went from that ~80 person mark to 295 people in attendance last year. I attribute this mostly to the sport growth in our area (and all over Ontario) but this was also in part to our organizers efforts at "Spreading the Word". Last year we were not MEGA, but we did an entire campaign of advertising and inviting. I believe at some point that Isquba&Nawty sent out personal invitations to some 200 cachers. These were very well received based on feedback. We have also put out caches in a series in the past all over Ontario to promote and invite people to the event. Just our way of broadening our area and putting it "out there".

This year is no different, except that the promotion-caches of the past have been excluded. We have other interesting ways of getting the word out there. So not much difference this year in our promotion efforts, save for inclusion of our hopes at having a Mega event.

With regards to KeithWatson's comments (all of them here in this thread):

Keith, you're a great guy. I respect a lot of the things you have done for this sport. I understand that you have varying opinions to many when it comes to caching and in these forums. I like that. You are stirring the pot. That seems to be what you do. I'm not sure if your response(s) to this thread was/were a complaint, pointing out the obvious, looking for attention, simply trying to give people an alternative view? Honestly it really doesn't matter. We are not the authority on events, or MEGA events. We simply do what we do, arrange to have an event and try to make it the best we possibly can. We aspire to be MEGA. Not Geowoodstock.

Although I have no say in the matter, can I ask that this thread be kept on topic? It would suck to let this fall into a negative context leading up to the event. Ironically, this forum thread has been one of the best advertisements we could have asked for in terms of event promotions! Look at those views! :D

Dan

[edited to change last year's event attendance. It doesn't really matter anyhow]

Edited by Swifteroo

Two excellent responses.

Now back on topic:

For the Wherigo lovers, I am planning on putting out a couple of adventures for the Spring Fling event.

One will be based on a really great Wherigo in Kingston by swimmrguy. Bob has graciously allowed me to modify the cartridge to include local area cachers. You can find the original cache here.

I am looking for some local cachers that would like to be included in the cartridge. If you are interested, I will need a picture of you and something funny to include in the game. Please contact me through my profile.

I have also invited a couple of well known U.S. Wherigo developers to attend the event. Both have expressed strong interest. Hopefully we will have a very informative Wherigo workshop at the event.

Two excellent responses.

Now back on topic:

For the Wherigo lovers, I am planning on putting out a couple of adventures for the Spring Fling event.

One will be based on a really great Wherigo in Kingston by swimmrguy. Bob has graciously allowed me to modify the cartridge to include local area cachers. You can find the original cache here.

I am looking for some local cachers that would like to be included in the cartridge. If you are interested, I will need a picture of you and something funny to include in the game. Please contact me through my profile.

I have also invited a couple of well known U.S. Wherigo developers to attend the event. Both have expressed strong interest. Hopefully we will have a very informative Wherigo workshop at the event.

I'm looking forward the the Wherigo's placed for this year's event. I missed last year's WiG as I didn't realize there was a cartridge to download before I got there. The best Wherigo cache I've done so far was a Tequila one so I know we're in for a treat.

With regards to KeithWatson's comments (all of them here in this thread):

Keith, you're a great guy. I respect a lot of the things you have done for this sport. I understand that you have varying opinions to many when it comes to caching and in these forums. I like that. You are stirring the pot. That seems to be what you do. I'm not sure if your response(s) to this thread was/were a complaint, pointing out the obvious, looking for attention, simply trying to give people an alternative view?

Shhhhhhh, they don't need to know. :huh:

Noticed on the COG Fling website that shower facilities are "primitive"... Are they your typical conservation area "loonie-in for 5 minutes of hot water in a cement room" kinda primitive or something else? I personally don't care, but my gf might. :rolleyes:

Also I'm curious what the tally of total attendees stands at?

Noticed on the COG Fling website that shower facilities are "primitive"... Are they your typical conservation area "loonie-in for 5 minutes of hot water in a cement room" kinda primitive or something else? I personally don't care, but my gf might. :blink:

Its not quite a bucket in a tree. :rolleyes:

The constructed a wooden, roofless shower stall platform for SF3, for SF4 we got running water, and for SF5 we now have a water heater! Still no roof on it yet - but it feels amazing to shower while looking at the sky B)

Here are some older pictures of it (note that it now has stairs, and instead of a barrel it has a door now i believe):

6e78c5bb-ce71-4dc1-aca1-52a2d6f23de0.jpg

af5e29e5-fe09-4610-bb98-d25222f922c6.jpg

Also I'm curious what the tally of total attendees stands at?

Spreadsheet says 440 people, 7 socks, 37 dogs, a cat and a grackle!