Have you made your own coin?

The Bunny of Happiness

Have you ever made your own Geocoin?

If so, how did it go in the end?

How much does it cost to make one? We've looked all over the place, but very few places mention prices at all - and we were just interested in getting a rough idea of how much it would cost to make one and some of the pitfalls that we might need to avoid, as well as the benefits of doing it.

Have you ever made your own Geocoin?

If so, how did it go in the end?

How much does it cost to make one? We've looked all over the place, but very few places mention prices at all - and we were just interested in getting a rough idea of how much it would cost to make one and some of the pitfalls that we might need to avoid, as well as the benefits of doing it.

My personal con is the chiro-cache coin. it was made by personal geocoins and has a picture of my dogs on the front, 3d, gold (see avatar,) and a chiropractic caduseus on the back.

I guess the main benefit of a personal coin for me, is the chance to trade for other coins (personals remain my favorite,) at gatherings, or on through the forum.

Prices will vary depending on size of coin, special materials, odd shapes, icon, tracking numbers. I would assume for purposes of shipping, along with shipping costs, you would want to use a company in the same country you are in.

Groundspeak lists the following organizations for making your coins...an e-mail to any of them, or all of them if you want, should get you some ideas of prices. Think your coin through, look at the coins already out there and figure out what you like and don't like, draw up a rough draft, talk with whoever makes your coins and get their input...I also got some good input on a fundraiser coin for our local humane shelter here on the forum. enjoy!

www.coinsandpins.com

www.personalgeocoins.com

www.oakcoins.com

www.thecachingplace.com

www.geocoinstore.com

www.chqualitycoins.com

www.landsharkz.ca

www.k2coins.nl

www.geocoinshop.de

www.hogwildstuff.org

www.geocachingshop.de

www.geocachingshop.com

www.coinswag.com

www.cachezone.de

www.3geeks.ca

www.dorkfishcoins.com

www.cacheaddict.com

www.tsunrisebey.com

www.usageocoins.com

www.TnTGeocoins.com

www.geocoinshop.com

www.dwprods.com

www.ukgeocachers.co.uk

www.geocachingshop.cz

www.worldcaching.com

www.geocoin.se

www.montereycompany.com

www.geocoins.net

www.mygeocoin.de

www.lillysue.com

www.geocoin.no

www.geoswag.com

www.crakeproductions.com

www.geocoins.biz

www.socalgeocoins.com

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Yes I have made my own coin, see left, in fact I have just made another one, you can see it at www.geocoincollection.com - strangely there are some that claim to have it in their collection - even though none have left Scotland :D

A number of folk in these forums seem to be uncomfortable about open discussion of coin making - there are other forums you can visit that provide much more information, feel free to email me through my profile for more information.

You can check the pinned thread at the top of these forums for a list of Groundspeak approved geocoin vendors, and inquire within. :D Cost depends on the coin, the amount of detail, the colors, the layers, the metal choices.......and more. You need a design idea to start.

We did check out the vendors - but there just seems to be no mention at all of prices, not even a rough guide of what we might expect to have to spend up front? That is why I thought I would ask all of you experienced folks here!

I know that in many ways it is an impossible question to answer - but I thought I might get some ideas.

A number of folk in these forums seem to be uncomfortable about open discussion of coin making - there are other forums you can visit that provide much more information, feel free to email me through my profile for more information.

Why would they be uncomfortable about it? Is it because it is a lot cheaper to make them than people sell them for or something?

There's no rough guide to prices because if they said "250 coins will cost you $1000" and they meant it for a one inch, plain metal, round coin with no 3D shaping, and someone wanted a two inch coin, shaped, with enamels and glow and 3D layers, and got charged $3000, they'd complain they were ripped off.

There are too many variables to give a definitive answer.

For instance:

* Size of the coin (it will cost more the bigger it gets)

* Round, cut-out or shaped (it costs more for cut-outs and shaped coins)

* Metals (some metals cost more than others to use)

* Tracking on www.geocaching.com (tracking instantly makes your coins more expensive)

* Glow (glow is expensive, and an added cost)

* Enamels (depending on the enamel, some are more expensive than others - do you want imitation hard, or soft or translucent etc etc etc)

* Amount of coins (the 'die' is a very expensive part of the process, but once that has been set up, you can mint more coins at a much reduced cost)

* Epoxy (you can coat your coin with epoxy so it lasts longer 'out in the wild')

* Extras (as you can probably see from the myriad of coins around the place, some coins are pretty special - they have moving parts, or are connected by chains or hinges - these add to the price)

* Artwork (using an artist to come up with the artwork is more expensive, but you will notice it when the coin is produced. The artists we have in this community are amazing, and the way they can bring a coin to life is just astounding. It's worth the cost)

* Mints (if you 'go it alone' you will need to check which mints can do what. Generally it is the Chinese mints that are the only ones who can come up with the goods for the standards we require for geocoins, but without the prohibitive costs. Coins like the Alaska series are minted at the Alaskan Mint but use precious metals, so therefore cost more. Otherwise you will need a vendor to help you as a go-between to get quotes from the mints and do all the hard work. They dont do this for free)

* Selling your coin (do you sell them yourself, or put your artwork through to a vendor and you will get some free coins, or do you ask the vendor to sell them for you? It all adds up to more money out of pocket)

So that's why you need an idea of what you want first :D

But the cheapest coin would be to go for something small, non-trackable, round, with no glow, enamels, epoxy or extras. You could easily get 250 for under $1000.

Otherwise it will be probably from $1500 onwards.

Does that help?

Edited by Cheesy pigs