Caching without a GPS?

digitalosh

I wanted to get into geocaching but I didn't have a GPS (except a driving one, which proved mostly useless) so I got a little creative... I posted it all at my caching blog... topics include:

Paper Caching

iPhone Caching with Geopher Lite

iPhone Caching WITHOUT Geopher Lite <----Free (if you own the iPhone...)

Let me know what you guys think, it's my first attempt at a useful blog about geocaching.

http://sascache.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/g...-without-a-gps/

If this is considered spam, please feel free to delete it, but I think I made some contributory points in the blog

I often geocache sans gps with just map and compass. I have topo mapping software for my map. I try to find a landmark, tower, etc. on the map which is also on the ground. Using a compass bearing, and pacing(65 right foot steps= 1 pace. 65 paces = 100 meters) you can get pretty close. Try it, it adds a new dimension to the sport.

Edited by Groleau

I've heard of a guy who caches and used maps from Google Earth to find them, no GPS.

That would be the same as the 'paper caching' I mentioned in the post, no?

Sort of.. but don't many... although fewer than in years past... GPS users still carry a paper printout of the page?

I usually carry two sheets of paper per cache. The front page mostly to keep track of what I've done and which one is next and to take notes and comments for my log and also the page that has the little 3.5"x3.5" map as a satellite image zoomed in one click from the GC.com default setting. If I'm not familiar with the area I may need a larger map covering my route from parking to the cache so print that out instead of the second cache page, but at the same scale. I don't use Google Earth, but it probably would work the same. I just use the regular Google satellite images that are available from the links on cache the page. If the terrain is easy to read I just go find it, if it isn't then I need to find the nearest identifiable point and use pace and compass from that point to the cache.