Sorry fast compairison please

Cachesaurous

Hello

I have found a good deal on 2 units

the Garmin ETrek Summit

and the magellan explorist 400

ok I am working too much at the moment to do real searchs and real work so PLEASE for give me.

I have done alot of geocacheing with a garmin eTrek legend, found it ok to use but even the garmin site says its not good for this use but the summit is it says

From the 2 I have a choicu from what one is the better unit for Cacheing and or better unit over all

I have used neither and the store will only offer the sale a short time.

Thanks and sorry for the rude request but any advice about the units would be great

thanks friends

Would that be the black and white Summit, or the newer Summit HC with a color screen?

The monochrome Summit has no built-in memory. It has an electronic compass and an altimeter.

The HC Summit has 24mb of internal memory and supports customized POIs. It too has the electronic compass and has an altimeter. Best of all, it has the updated chipset and a color screen.

I'm not uptodate with Magellan products.

I'd take the Magellan over the Summit, but the summit isn't well-equipped for caching. The Maggie will do you well, just hope you don't need customer service, it might not be a good experience.

What price range are you looking at?? I think there's a LOT of great units that'll likely fit the budget AND work out much better for you!

Do a search of GPS units on amazon.com to find some ideas of units in your price range, I think you'll be surprised!!

I have the Summit HC and it works just fine. Good reception, easy to use. You don't need more than the 24mb of internal memory unless you are needing to do a lot of mapping or taking a long trip and need more than a localized map set.

I do use my Garmin Nuvi in conjunction with the Summit for its ability to hold all of the cache info, but I only use that to get near the site. Once I leave the car it's just the Summit.

As a side note... if you do any research at all you will reject the Magellan... hundreds of horror stories about them all over the internet, and it isn't limited to any model... they all seem to have issues and customer support is a joke.

I enjoyed caching with my explorist 600. But the explorist range is old now.

Mine needs a new case because I've dropped it too many tines onto the pavement. All the electronics are OK, but the fixing points are broken.

Anyway, instead of getting a new case, I replaced it with a Garmin Oregon.

There's been a big increase in satellite reception. Time to lock is down to seconds.

If the etrex summit and explorist 400 have similar satellite reception to each other, I would go for the explorist. The file and folder based locations for POI, routes and geocaches is better then my newer Garmin Oregon.

As for Magellen v Garmin for customer support, now I am on the Garmin bandwagon I was surprised to hear their level of support is getting a hammering for being poor.

Hello

THANKS everyone

ok so I was looking onto the units and they let me play with both of them. Both very nice I actually found the explorist had a very nice control and feel.

I think I will be getting the Garmin tho due to the fact of the explorist being discontinued. and other people input on the forum here.

Other than that both units seemed simular.

THanks again to every one who helped me out on such a fast request, I know it was rude not to try searching first but thanks

later

Someone else asked about a Summit, I checked out the description and it stated not caching friendly right in the description from the manufacturer...does this one have the same statement??

How much are you paying for this unit? I am not trying to confuse you, merely trying to get you into the unit you'll enjoy best!

For around $160 on sale (if you can catch it) the Garmin 60CSx is available on amazon.com. This is a tried and true caching and all around GPS!

For around $330, the DeLorme PN-40 is available on amazon.com, this is an AWESOME unit and is in line with (but better in many regards than) the 60CSx.

There are many units in between this range, all available at amazon.com or elsewhere (check the amazon site for descriptions and buy local if possible and comparably priced or order from them...good company).

Don't just settle for a unit simply because you were able to hold it in the store...if those were the only models that store had, find a store with more coices or shop online!!!

Here's the link for the amazon page for a DeLorme PN-40...use this as a start and then search the site for other units such as the 60CSx, Venture HC, Vista HCx etc (all last were Garmins). An informed mind makes good choices!!

amazon sles page for DeLorme PN-40

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Someone else asked about a Summit, I checked out the description and it stated not caching friendly right in the description from the manufacturer...does this one have the same statement??

How much are you paying for this unit? I am not trying to confuse you, merely trying to get you into the unit you'll enjoy best!

For around $160 on sale (if you can catch it) the Garmin 60CSx is available on amazon.com. This is a tried and true caching and all around GPS!

For around $330, the DeLorme PN-40 is available on amazon.com, this is an AWESOME unit and is in line with (but better in many regards than) the 60CSx.

There are many units in between this range, all available at amazon.com or elsewhere (check the amazon site for descriptions and buy local if possible and comparably priced or order from them...good company).

Don't just settle for a unit simply because you were able to hold it in the store...if those were the only models that store had, find a store with more coices or shop online!!!

Here's the link for the amazon page for a DeLorme PN-40...use this as a start and then search the site for other units such as the 60CSx, Venture HC, Vista HCx etc (all last were Garmins). An informed mind makes good choices!!

I don't understand why you insist that the Summit HC isn't caching friendly. Just because it won't do paperless caching without additional support doesn't make it bad for caching. It still takes direct downloads from GSAK, allows the caches to marked as found and placed in the found directory. It's accurate and quick to get a satellite lock, and can be had for less than half the price of a PN-40. No it won't do street routing and mapping like one with an expandable memory, and it can only hold specific and limited map sets, but it's sufficient for most caching needs. If you don't need the additional features, why pay for them? I already have a Nuvi that gives the paperless support that I need to view the cache descriptions, hints, and logs while I'm on the go.

BTW, a new 60CSx at Amazon is $297 and used are $281, and the 60Cx is $249. The Legend HCx isn't bad at $164, but I wanted the electronic compass that comes on the Summit. In the end it all comes down to what you need and what you can afford.

Edited by rapriebe

I don't understand why you insist that the Summit HC isn't caching friendly. Just because it won't do paperless caching without additional support doesn't make it bad for caching. It still takes direct downloads from GSAK, allows the caches to marked as found and placed in the found directory. It's accurate and quick to get a satellite lock, and can be had for less than half the price of a PN-40. No it won't do street routing and mapping like one with an expandable memory, and it can only hold specific and limited map sets, but it's sufficient for most caching needs. If you don't need the additional features, why pay for them? I already have a Nuvi that gives the paperless support that I need to view the cache descriptions, hints, and logs while I'm on the go.

BTW, a new 60CSx at Amazon is $297 and used are $281, and the 60Cx is $249. The Legend HCx isn't bad at $164, but I wanted the electronic compass that comes on the Summit. In the end it all comes down to what you need and what you can afford.

I'm sorry, I thought I made that clear...I read the description right from the Garmin spec page which said not geocaching friendly (actually the box for no was checked in the list). Now, if the manufacturer stated this, I fully believe them. Furthermore, the OP didn't sate Summit HC, just Summit.

Also, you seem to miss that I am giving choices...did you not see the other brands and units I spoke of? I am trying to help make an educated buy, sorry if you don't find this helpful! To the OP, as I stated, the link is merely a starting point, check that one out and then do some searches for other units right from the amazon site. Amazon will give you a very good price to use as reference OR might be the lowest price available anywhere. More research will help you in that regard as well!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

i was wondering the same thing. cant you geocache with any gpsr?

i was wondering the same thing. cant you geocache with any gpsr?

Pretty much yes. One way or another they'll all get you to the cache site.

Every model has different features and price tags. It comes down to what you feel you need, what features you want, and what you can afford or are willing to pay for those features. There is no doubt that the sheer number of possible choices can be overwhelming, especially if a person hasn't had any previous experience with GPS. I'd had enough contact with at least a portion of the industry through my Garmin Nuvi that I had some idea what I wanted, as well as knowing the features that I didn't need to duplicate in the new unit, but it was still a hard choice to make. And I was really only shopping for a single brand.

I'm sorry, I thought I made that clear...I read the description right from the Garmin spec page which said not geocaching friendly (actually the box for no was checked in the list). Now, if the manufacturer stated this, I fully believe them.

A brief apology is due from me to Rocking Roddy. I was sharper in the earlier response to him than I should have been. Guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... I'm usually better at getting a point across in a more diplomatic fashion. No offense was ever intended.

To answer your question in the above quote, my guess is that Garmin would rather sell a nice pricey Oregon over a plain Jane Summit HC, thus the "recommendation" that you read. Since the Summit has a "Geocaching" page, it must have once been thought of as caching friendly. Just a thought anyway. :laughing:

Edited by rapriebe

No harm, no foul! :laughing:

The short answer to "any GPS" is yes, you can even cache with a car GPS if you want, or no GPS. The OP asked which was better and I gave my answer based on what I have read.

See, I could care less what other people buy, I am happy with the GPS I have! I would, however be more than happy to lend a hand in the search for a good unit, I was searching pretty heavy not long ago myself! Instead of asking though, I did a lot of searching through sale pages (which have some very good detailed descriptions I might add). If someone wants to know my thoughts, I am happy to share and even let them know what my decision was (PN-40...SWEET).

For the record though, if I was dead set on a Garmin and didn't want to spend the $500 or so for an Oregon, I'd buy the 60CSx and call it adequate! :laughing:

The short answer to "any GPS" is yes, you can even cache with a car GPS if you want, or no GPS. The OP asked which was better and I gave my answer based on what I have read.

See, I could care less what other people buy, I am happy with the GPS I have! I would, however be more than happy to lend a hand in the search for a good unit, I was searching pretty heavy not long ago myself! Instead of asking though, I did a lot of searching through sale pages (which have some very good detailed descriptions I might add). If someone wants to know my thoughts, I am happy to share and even let them know what my decision was (PN-40...SWEET).

For the record though, if I was dead set on a Garmin and didn't want to spend the $500 or so for an Oregon, I'd buy the 60CSx and call it adequate! :laughing:

I looked at the 60.... I was also looking hard at the 76 CSx because my wife and I are building a home in the Bahamas and the marine aspects looked nice. In the end I decided to wait and see when we get started on construction, so that helped me make the decision for the Summit. I'll buy a marine friendly unit later and get the best technology available when the time comes. :laughing:

I looked at the 60.... I was also looking hard at the 76 CSx because my wife and I are building a home in the Bahamas and the marine aspects looked nice. In the end I decided to wait and see when we get started on construction, so that helped me make the decision for the Summit. I'll buy a marine friendly unit later and get the best technology available when the time comes. :laughing:

Have you looked into the new Lowrance yet?

Have you looked into the new Lowrance yet?

Nope, to early to consider anything at this point. We still have to build our beach cottage (all we have at this point is the construction plans from the architect), then get a boat before I'll have any use for a marine capable GPS... that could still be 2 or 3 years out... who knows what the technology will do in that time?

Edited by rapriebe