Release Notes 2/11/09

OpinioNate

FYI to all - the "onlick" feature for the <div> tag I have mentioned prior is not a script function that TPTB were trying to override per a PM from the TPTB. Below is part of that PM that was sent to me yesterday afternoon around 3pm EST.

Raine has been working off and on all day trying to figure out why the onclick was affected by the change and is running into some brick walls. This is not just a case of flicking a switch I'm afraid. Tomorrow we're going to try to roll back some code that we think should fix the issue, so please check back then. Thanks.

Hope that helps and is an encouragement to others as well.

I used the PDF function for ( 5 logs ) and ( 10 logs ). I could click either of those and then save to a folder in my computer in the PDF format. I have a PALM Tungsten E2. I was able to drag the PDF file to the PDF icon on my desktop for the PALM and sync into my PALM. It worked wonderfully. It was very quick and worked great with Groundspeak notices of new caches. Now I have no idea how to get the information into my PALM. I am trying to go "green" and save the expenses of printing. What can I do to get the info into my PALM Tungsten E2? Better yet, can you bring back PDF?

2/17/2009

Reddog 1962

Have you checked out the GPX Spinner and Plucker method?

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

I use it on my Palm and it works great.

Or, GSAK and CacheMate. Been using them since day one and they're great. No paper.

I used the PDF function for ( 5 logs ) and ( 10 logs ). I could click either of those and then save to a folder in my computer in the PDF format. I have a PALM Tungsten E2. I was able to drag the PDF file to the PDF icon on my desktop for the PALM and sync into my PALM. It worked wonderfully. It was very quick and worked great with Groundspeak notices of new caches. Now I have no idea how to get the information into my PALM. I am trying to go "green" and save the expenses of printing. What can I do to get the info into my PALM Tungsten E2? Better yet, can you bring back PDF?

2/17/2009

Reddog 1962

Have you checked out the GPX Spinner and Plucker method?

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/paperless.html

I use it on my Palm and it works great.

Or, GSAK and CacheMate. Been using them since day one and they're great. No paper.

You can also use GSAK and Plucker.

Here's a vote in the opposite direction. I never used the PDF function, and I don't mind that you removed it.

Not having PDF printing tidies up the cache page a bit, and frees up your time for other things.

Come on... that's a stretch of an argument at best... The PDF print function had two little icons near the top of the page... not gawdy... not intrusive... and certainly they did not clutter up the page.

About the onclick issues in profiles and cache pages:

The fix is made and it works in our testing environment, but I'm afraid it will not be deployed for a while. There is a concern that there are other untested fixes in the code branch in which this change was made that will be pushed out along with the onclick fix, and that opens us up to potentially breaking unrelated areas of the site.

Worst case scenario this fix is included in our March 10th release. Best case we get a stable build before then and can hotfix. I'm very sorry for getting your hopes up, but I was led to believe by the dev leader that it was ready to be pushed out yesterday. I'm only finding out this is not the case today. Please either save your profile code in a text file or just don't make any changes until we can push out the fix.

Thanks for bearing with us.

About the onclick issues in profiles and cache pages:

The fix is made and it works in our testing environment, but I'm afraid it will not be deployed for a while. There is a concern that there are other untested fixes in the code branch in which this change was made that will be pushed out along with the onclick fix, and that opens us up to potentially breaking unrelated areas of the site.

Worst case scenario this fix is included in our March 10th release. Best case we get a stable build before then and can hotfix. I'm very sorry for getting your hopes up, but I was led to believe by the dev leader that it was ready to be pushed out yesterday. I'm only finding out this is not the case today. Please either save your profile code in a text file or just don't make any changes until we can push out the fix.

Thanks for bearing with us.

Was going to post this but Nate is on the BALL!!!

Thank you Nate, as long as the feature is still available, I don't mind waiting.

To hell with your unlucky update!

All worked wonderful before - but now no more!

We updated the site today with a fairly substantial list of fixes. Please have a look and let us know what you think!

DeLorme:

Now you can send caches directly to your PN-Series GPS units from DeLorme using the Send to GPS feature on every cache page. Download the browser plugin.

Account Edit:

The account edit page has experienced an overhaul. In addition to the regular profile details, you can now select your GPS, manage friends, and set your home coordinates with a more intuitive interface. This update is part of a larger redesign of My Account that we hope to introduce at the end of the first quarter of this year.

The following changes were made in this release:

5870: anchor tag needed at SEEK Page

Added anchor tag on /seek page

6557: Pending Friend Requests text change

Updated the text of the buttons in the Friends Request process.

5523: CACHE NOTE: Hindi Cache Note

Added Hindi Cache note to /seek page

6558: FAQ on Declined Cards Not Displaying Properly

Updated the declined Credit Card FAQ page to open wider and provide scroll bars when the content is not visible.

6746: Events - make it impossible to mark them as "Members Only"

removed option to mark events as Member Only

6943: trim leading/trailing spaces from username in account creation process

restricted creation of accounts with leading/trailing spaces

6634: Create default zip code on the front page based on home coordinates of logged in user

The search box on the home page will use GEOIP to determine a postal code if it cannot find home coordinates for a user.

6394: users should not be able to email invalidated users

removed ability to send email to invalidated user

5668: banned account can still edit their profile

Removed ability for banned members to edit profile

5795: Profile calendar not showing Travel Bug or Benchmark logs

The calendars for Travel Bugs and Benchmarks, in the profile, show bold dates when logs were posted.

6665: IHS - Map Missing from "city.aspx," "chain.aspx" and "attraction.aspx"

Added map to IHS mini-sites

6054: dead links at CITO page (to Delorme)

Updated links on CITO page for DeLorme

6993: Groundspeak Renewal Notice, copyright year is 2008

Updated copyright year on renewal email

6765: Basic member can view the Send to GPS button on Cache Desc page

Restricted use of Send to GPS by basic members

6823: MS MapPoint support ends - Add support for MS Live Maps on caches

Updated Map Point URL to use Windows Live Maps.

6716: Premium Member only cache renders poorly in Safari

Improved Premium Member Only cache page appearance in Safari browser

5791: Arrange log activity on Profile page in chronological order

/My/ page will now arrange cache finds in reverse chronological order by date

6631: text changes are needed in the "Setting up your home location" section of Weekly Notification

Rewrote the "Setting Up Your Home Location" section of the Weekly E-Mailer.

6722: remove errant red message in Archived caches

Removed duplicate messages on Archived caches

6916: Account ReDesign: People can buy PMs for banned members - Gift Cards V2

Removed link to upgrade account for banned members

6738: Account ReDesign: People are buying PMs for volunteers - Gift Cards V2

Removed link to purchase upgrades on a Reviewer account

5552: Discontinue PDF print function

Removed the PDF print function from cache page

2718: Display last 5 logs on Printer Friendly pages

Added print with logs option to print friendly pages

5853: MY ACCOUNT: Provide member ID number on http://www.geocaching.com/my/

Added account ID number to /my/ page

6615: new wording needed in Terms of Use

Updated the wording of Part 4 of the terms of use.

6717: Map links for cache pages

Corrected the appearance of the bullets in the Map Links list on the Cache Details page.

6890: Update text on Field Notes page to be more generic or include DeLorme

Updated field note text to include DeLorme and iPhone

6975: Some international caches cause the sendtogps.aspx page to crash

Fixed bug in some caches that caused crash from SendToGPS page

6576: HTML doesn't render correctly on IE

Fixed bug for Internet Explorer rendering " character

6810: remind people to be nice at Membership Registration (usernames)

update language at username selection in the membership process

6612: Increase Field Notes Character Limit to Match Cache Logs

Increased Field notes character limit to match Cache log limit (4000)

6803: new links for Useful Geocaching Links page

Added www.geocachingadmin.com to the Useful Geocaching links.

6899: DeLorme Updated Plugin

Updated DeLorme plug-in

6695: Bookmark List replaces icon with text for GPS Adventures Exhibit cache type

fixed bug where GPS Adventures Exhibit cache icon was missing

6700: typo on Advanced Search page

Corrected a typo on the Advanced Search page.

Please reply in this thread with comments or questions related to this update. For anything not mentioned, please open a new thread. Thanks!

To hell with your unlucky update!

All worked wonderful before - but now no more!

WOW! You have 22 cache finds and two posts in this forum and this is one of them?

You haven't been a member long enough to know that updates do still have bugs and they are being fixed constantly. There will be another update or hotfix soon. TPTB take into consideration all cachers thoughts and suggestions, but you have nothing solid to offer. Please be specific and patient.

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :laughing:

I agree completely. I liked the PDF version. It consistantly saved printing at least one page, saving trees, staples, and made a much smaller pile of caching sheets to clutter up the house with. :laughing:

I'm with you - pdf's were very handy and allowed me to save paper. There is far too much stuff to print efficiently - all I want is the coordinates, description and clue (sometimes some logs). I don't want or need map fragments, crests, etc. Give us a way to print what we want and save some trees. :anibad:

How about making it possible on the printable cache page to zoom out or in on the map? The default level is not always helpful.

The option of a smaller map was a nice idea, but all it does is squish the big map and make it unreadable.

I, too, mourn the loss of the zoom function. Though the default is OK for most caches, some I visit are so far in the boonies that all I now see is a blank area. It would be helpful to zoom out to better plan my approach.

I find the default map size is usually too large to fit on the description's first page and the only other choice illegible. I believe an intermediate size map would prove more useful to me.

In regards to:

I have two(2) Garmin Legend HCx GPSr's.

Since your new release I have not been able to "Send to GPS". Everything was fine prior to.

It prompts me to update my software, I did that, so I'm using the most up to date software from Garmin and their test says I'm communicating good and still no good.

I can understand it won't work in my son's account since he is a basic account member, but my account is a Premium.

Thanks,

Jaybirder

Walko@bellsouth.net

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :yikes:

I agree I liked the PDF MUCH better, much cleaner and used less paper.

Edited by Trail Less Traveled

In regards to:

Since your new release I have not been able to "Send to GPS". Everything was fine prior to.

It prompts me to update my software, I did that, so I'm using the most up to date software from Garmin and their test says I'm communicating good and still no good.

I can understand it won't work in my son's account since he is a basic account member, but my account is a Premium.

Thanks,

Jaybirder

Walko@bellsouth.net

Hi guys,

I seem to have the same problem as above-fuly installed and connected but not being able to "send to gps".

Thought it was my gps acting up but looks like it isnt.

I really appreciate the updates the admin guys are doing-a BIG thanks!

Regards,

Seamus.

Thanks for all the great work and new updates, I love them. Is there an ETA on when the "Send To Gps" mode will be working again for us Garmin Colorado fans? :unsure:

Since you're a Premium Member, you don't need the "Send to GPS". You can just download the GPX file and save it in the [drive]/garmin/gpx folder on the Colorado.

Thanks for all the great work and new updates, I love them. Is there an ETA on when the "Send To Gps" mode will be working again for us Garmin Colorado fans? :)

Since you're a Premium Member, you don't need the "Send to GPS". You can just download the GPX file and save it in the [drive]/garmin/gpx folder on the Colorado.

I realize this, but I'd much rather run down a list and just send single a cache. This is a very fast, useful feature when I'm on a work computer that I am not allowed to use other then for work stuff! :unsure:

Thanks for all the great work and new updates, I love them. Is there an ETA on when the "Send To Gps" mode will be working again for us Garmin Colorado fans? :unsure:

Send to GPS has been working fine to my Colorado since shortly after the upgrades where done.

Edited by Hitech MD

Send to GPS has been working fine to my Colorado since shortly after the upgrades where done.

Mine still works.

Someone suggested than you can no longer use IE 6 and one needs to update to IE 7.

I have IE 7, but am still using the 2.4.1 plugin.

is there anyway i could still download the PDF file that was one of my favorite features

Have you not read the thread you've replied to? This has been asked and answered at least 3 times. The answer is no, the PDF feature of the website will not be coming back.

Install one of the many FREE PDF print drivers available for Windows (assuming you use Windows - most MacOS users already know they have PDF built in), use the print-friendly page, and print to a PDF file yourself.

is there anyway i could still download the PDF file that was one of my favorite features

Have you not read the thread you've replied to? This has been asked and answered at least 3 times. The answer is no, the PDF feature of the website will not be coming back.

Install one of the many FREE PDF print drivers available for Windows (assuming you use Windows - most MacOS users already know they have PDF built in), use the print-friendly page, and print to a PDF file yourself.

Unfortunately, no...very few do. And then they wonder why no one wants to listen to what they have to say.

Edited by Allanon

I have been reading this thread since post one (the update) and EVERY post since.

Don't you just love how people who are NOT in the know seem to KNOW everything?

This question of bringing back the PDF function has NOT been answered by TPTB. Oh it has been answered by others who have no control over things, but the people that matter haven't answered it. Wait for the next update or send OpinioNate a PM asking him directly. It may be brought back during the next update.

I had several people say to me that the "onclick" feature of the <div> tag was gone and was never coming back, but once again, they had no clue what they were talking about. It WILL be coming back because it was something that was inadvertently affected during the last update. How do I know this? Because I personally spoke to OpinionNate about it through PMs. You can see his response in this thread as well to see that I am right.

I humbly ask, please people, LET TPTB ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS!!!

This question of bringing back the PDF function has NOT been answered by TPTB. Oh it has been answered by others who have no control over things, but the people that matter haven't answered it. Wait for the next update or send OpinioNate a PM asking him directly. It may be brought back during the next update.
No, OpinioNate has stated that it's really gone, and explained why. They have better places to use their time & money than a buggy, inconsistent feature. Speaking from personal experience, PDF generation can consume extra server resources & bandwidth - the replacement is far "lighter" and removing that load on the server means gc.com can be a more responsive website.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3817947

It's even referenced in this very thread, which you claim you've read every post. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3828176

Lil Devil has made a post explaining how to make the best of the Print Friendly page, including installing a PDF print driver. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=214184

Edited by dakboy
No, OpinioNate has stated that it's really gone, and explained why. They have better places to use their time & money than a buggy, inconsistent feature. Speaking from personal experience, PDF generation can consume extra server resources & bandwidth - the replacement is far "lighter" and removing that load on the server means gc.com can be a more responsive website.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3817947

It's even referenced in this very thread, which you claim you've read every post. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3828176

Lil Devil has made a post explaining how to make the best of the Print Friendly page, including installing a PDF print driver. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=214184

I have read every post, but I stand corrected. I didn't recall seeing this answer previously and wasn't going to spend time re-reading the 320+ posts to find it.

I don't use th PDF or any print function, so it really is no concern of mine. Thanks for the correction.

I finally was able to get the "My GPS" in profile to work and load Garmin Etrex Vista HCx but was unable to "Send to GPS" any geocaches. I tried everything from drivers to virus software and couldn't get it to work. I followed others advise and upgraded from IE6 to IE7 and now it works great. Thanks.

Account Edit:

The account edit page has experienced an overhaul. In addition to the regular profile details, you can now select your GPS, manage friends, and set your home coordinates with a more intuitive interface. This update is part of a larger redesign of My Account that we hope to introduce at the end of the first quarter of this year.

Along with the above change, the wording for the MY ACCOUNT quick link on the left was updated to MY PROFILE. That's fine, but MY ACCOUNT is still displayed instead of MY PROFILE for the cache search results pages.

Please change the way logging happens back to how it was before. They log's seem to be backward on everyday posts. It's fine it there is only one find a day. But for instance if it's a brand new cache, it looks like it was found before it was published. Plus using the last five log's in a paperless app on the Colorado, the log's are in reverse if there is more than one log in a day. Just when a 'needs maintenance" or something is posted and the owner fixes it in the same day, The log's are reversed.

I find this very confusing. Sorry if this has already been brought up. I looked threw a lot of posts but didn't' see any reference to this.

Please!!!!!

Thank you

Please change the way logging happens back to how it was before. They log's seem to be backward on everyday posts. It's fine it there is only one find a day. But for instance if it's a brand new cache, it looks like it was found before it was published. Plus using the last five log's in a paperless app on the Colorado, the log's are in reverse if there is more than one log in a day. Just when a 'needs maintenance" or something is posted and the owner fixes it in the same day, The log's are reversed.

I find this very confusing. Sorry if this has already been brought up. I looked threw a lot of posts but didn't' see any reference to this.

Please!!!!!

Thank you

I think it was happening before the recent update.

I see my hyperlink in my signature is broken again. I know I used UBB code, but for some reason, it shows up as HTML.

Edited by Dwoodford

Under ACCOUNT DETAILS - MY PROFILE - I've tried to change info, but when I go to SAVE CHANGES it just hangs there.

OK. Did some research on my own and this is no longer a problem of sorts. I was using MSN when I tried the change above. This morning I used IE and it made the changes and saved. Guess some areas of the update isn't browser friendly.

Please!!!!!

Thank you

I see my hyperlink in my signature is broken again. I know I used UBB code, but for some reason, it shows up as HTML.

Have noticed this same problem since the update, but didn't pay attention to it before. If there is a FTF on the same day of publish, then the cacher's log is listed below the reviewers published note, making it seem as if the cacher found it before it was published. Not a real big issue to me on this part, but it is confusing.

I can see where the logs of the same day would be a problem though if same day posts were not in order. A log above may list something left in the cache, then the log below that says they took that same item. That is definitely confusing.

Please!!!!!

Thank you

Have noticed this same problem since the update, but didn't pay attention to it before. If there is a FTF on the same day of publish, then the cacher's log is listed below the reviewers published note, making it seem as if the cacher found it before it was published. Not a real big issue to me on this part, but it is confusing.

I can see where the logs of the same day would be a problem though if same day posts were not in order. A log above may list something left in the cache, then the log below that says they took that same item. That is definitely confusing.

However I have seen many times something on the order of finder 3 logging in less than an hour, finder 2 logging after a couple of hours and finally ftf logging at the end of the day upon running from a many cache run. So the online logs don't reflect the actual order of visitors

Please!!!!!

Thank you

However I have seen many times something on the order of finder 3 logging in less than an hour, finder 2 logging after a couple of hours and finally ftf logging at the end of the day upon running from a many cache run. So the online logs don't reflect the actual order of visitors

The order of vistor's before this might not have been in the right order to begin with. If you have 3 find's in the same day the ftf my not have been the first to log it.

Can anyone verify if this change in order of log's happened before or after the update?

The thing messing with me the most is the day it ws published and the find's on that day end up before the review's not of it was published.

:D pdf needs to be brought back for those of us who still paper for cost reasons makes for lot of waste and added cost please please bring it back beardiven team we have used the the new way and has made for a lot of papper and and ink waste and if this is truley a eco friendly game then that needs to be a consideration

:D pdf needs to be brought back for those of us who still paper for cost reasons makes for lot of waste and added cost please please bring it back beardiven team we have used the the new way and has made for a lot of papper and and ink waste and if this is truley a eco friendly game then that needs to be a consideration

Print both sides and make use of programs/print drivers that will let you shrink things to put multiple pages on one sheet.

Punctuation is your friend. Embrace it.

Under ACCOUNT DETAILS - MY PROFILE - I've tried to change info, but when I go to SAVE CHANGES it just hangs there.

OK. Did some research on my own and this is no longer a problem of sorts. I was using MSN when I tried the change above. This morning I used IE and it made the changes and saved. Guess some areas of the update isn't browser friendly.

Thanks! I was having the same issue using the Juno browser. IE worked just fine. I was tired of wishing everyone Happy Valentines Day in my forum title! :laughing:

In regards to:

Thanks,

Jaybirder

Walko@bellsouth.net

Hi guys,

I seem to have the same problem as above-fuly installed and connected but not being able to "send to gps".

Thought it was my gps acting up but looks like it isnt.

I really appreciate the updates the admin guys are doing-a BIG thanks!

Regards,

Seamus.

All,

One shouldn't have to do this but..... I upgraded from IE6 to IE7 like others have and now my "send to GPS" works. Now just to get all the other computers I use every once in awhile upgraded. Easier said than done.

Wish the people who did this upgrade would have let everyone know exactly what to do to fix before it went netwide.

Jaybirder

Account Edit:

The account edit page has experienced an overhaul. In addition to the regular profile details, you can now select your GPS, manage friends, and set your home coordinates with a more intuitive interface.

I have a problem to set exact home coordinates. After exact set of home coordinates, they have been shifted (sometimes 50m, sometimes more) somewhere else on the street (road). But i dont live on the street.

Could somebody help me or explain whats going on, because some months ago, it was no problem. :laughing:

If it is due to new feature mentioned above, could you add option for set an exact home coordinates (measured with GPS device), not only set by yellow pin, which is everytime shifted somewhere else. :o

Thanks in advance. Martin "DaPoncho" from Slovakia.

Happy geocaching

you can now select your GPS

Is this working for anyone else? I can pick my manufacturer "Garmin" but the device list does not populate - the little spinning gif keeps a spinning though.

That is still in the process of being updated. It should start working soon.

working for me,just upgraded

Why was this done? I'm guessing, becasuse a lot more people are going paperless. I hope to by next year. However, now when I print the page I can't get everything on one page. With PDF I could print in Landscape mode and get two pages on one. Then I could print a different cache page on the otherside. Hence, one sheet of paper for two caches.

I just noticed when I have logged a cache as found, and add waypoint info to the log, it does not show up when I use the print pages feature with my log like it use to.

I like to print out my logs to keep in my scrap book. Also, I thought it was useful information for others who took the printed logs with them in the field.

I hope you bring that feature back.

Thank you