Release Notes 2/11/09

OpinioNate

... but still same issue with the onclick feature not working. ...

You can bet that's an intentional change. <script> tags have been removed for a long time and the fact that "onclick" and other "on..." attributes worked for a while was certainly an oversight that has been fixed. I wouldn't expect these to come back.

I realize this is low priority with all the other stuff going on, but I verified I'm using UBB to edit my profile page (not a mix of UBB and HTML). I'm getting nothing but plain text in return. The page doesn't seem to recognize commands such as , , , , etc. Should I rewrite it in HTML or will this be fixed?

Thanks for all your hard work. It's probably been wild the last couple of days!

Mike

I'm having some difficulty reproducing these reports of IE 6 and Geocaching Google Maps so if anyone who is experiencing missing caches on the map could elaborate I would be very appreciative. I do have IE 6 open here and am having no trouble.

And just a reminder to anyone else seeing little quirky behaviors, it's always a good idea after a release to start a new browser session. That means closing out *all* windows and the re-opening. (I know this is the equivalent of resetting-your-modem-advice from Comcast but I swear it works!)

OK I tried that and it works now, thanks.

I realize this is low priority with all the other stuff going on, but I verified I'm using UBB to edit my profile page (not a mix of UBB and HTML). I'm getting nothing but plain text in return. The page doesn't seem to recognize commands such as , , , , etc. Should I rewrite it in HTML or will this be fixed?

Mike

Use UBB in cache logs and in the forums (including your forum signature line). Use HTML for your profile page and your hidden caches' cache description pages.

Noticed something new today. Published cache logs no longer show as the first log for that given day. Say for example the cache was published at 1am on Feb 12, 2009. Then the cache was FTFed and logged at 10am on Feb 12, 2009. The FTF log shows up before the published log.

Is this an inadvertent side effect of re-ordering the /My/ page logs?

Mike

Use UBB in cache logs and in the forums (including your forum signature line). Use HTML for your profile page and your hidden caches' cache description pages.

Unless it's been changed in the latest release, you can use UBB in your cache descriptions, but you have to have the HTML option turned off. The page supports the same UBB subset as logs do; probably gets run through the same parser. This may just be a quirk, and it could stop working at some point in the future. But people have been using it for a long time now.

You can obviously do a lot more with HTML, but if all you really need is some very simple text styles, it might be the way to go.

I would like to Thank everyone for all their hard work.

However the problem I am having is the extra information I have added to my profile page (such as FTF caches) looks great when I click the the preview changes link but, when I look at the page in my browser (Firefox - not sure which version) the whole list is bunched together.

It looks awful and since I know very little HTML code, I have no ideal how I could correct this.

If I missed the answer on this one from an earlier post, sorry about that but I don't keep my computer signed into the forums all the time, I actually turn it off sometimes, GASP!! :)

Also the last time I looked at the choose a gps function (a day or so ago) I did not see my gps listed (a Garmin Geko 101) yep it seems I am behind the times a bit but I still find caches! :laughing:

Thanks for listening.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by wildhawk
Did I mention that the Microsoft Live maps are missing the thumbtacks?

Yes you did, please don't "spam". :)

Microsoft changed they way the URL is constructed for adding push-pins.

It's a little more in-depth now:

http://www.viawindowslive.com/Resources/Vi...yourownURL.aspx

Raine, with the utmost respect (and you have earned my utmost respect for the job that you do!), I didn't post my 2nd question about that until the 3rd page of replies, after numerous duplicate posts about other issues, and not a single recognition about mine. I would hardly call that "spamming"... it was just a matter of making sure that my issue wasn't missed amid all of the noise.

I believe that we had this problem with the Live maps before, so it was logical to assume that the upgrade simply missed a fix from before.

Yes, I saw your smiling Signal, but I also saw the word "spam". 'Nuff said. :laughing:

I still can't get the "send to gps" to work for me. It was working until yesterday afternoon. After reading the other posts I thought that it would all be up and running by this evening since it is working for others. I have the current garmin communicator (2.6.3.0) and the test tested just fine. I am using the vista hcx. I'm stumped.

Edited by Boxcutterzz

Noticed something new today. Published cache logs no longer show as the first log for that given day. Say for example the cache was published at 1am on Feb 12, 2009. Then the cache was FTFed and logged at 10am on Feb 12, 2009. The FTF log shows up before the published log.

Is this an inadvertent side effect of re-ordering the /My/ page logs?

Ditto, I was just coming to report that. I was FTF on a cache this afternoon and my log is showing below the publication log in the listing. Very minor issue but it makes me feel like people will think I was a beta tester or something.

Anyone else notice if the Group Logos on your GC profile (if you have on on your profile) have been re sized down to 1-1?

On my HTML info everything is normal but on "My Public Info" its 1-1. Is this a glitch that will be fixed

Edited by genegene
Anyone else notice if the Group Logos on your GC profile (if you have on on your profile) have been re sized down to 1-1?

On my HTML info everything is normal but on "My Public Info" its 1-1. Is this a glitch that will be fixed

What is a "Group Logo"? Your public profile page looks fine to me.

When you look at my Profile look under where it says Profile Information, Where it says Western Mass Geocachers and you see that little box just under that, None of that should be there. It should be a Image that is found here:

http://www.westernmassgeocachers.org/images/WMGbanner.jpg

If you see the banner, then the problem is only on my viewing end. Everything in the HTML coding where I edit my Profile is fine. I thought that maybe the size got messed up, but when I checked it to see, it was fine.

I have a question. I bought a GPS system yesterday and I tried to put in the GPS System details into the GPS System of my profile , but it was not listed. Any way I can list my system.

It's a Jensen Navigational System. NVX225. Bought it at a Pawn shop, works good. It'll do for now until I can buy a newer one.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3829074

I'm not sure how people are missing the link on the dialog where you select your GPS from. It actually says:

"Don't see your device here? Email us and let us know. "

And links to a new email.

I was just there and there's nothing there about e-mailing anyone. Just provides list of manufacturers and that's it.

Select a manufacturer. Then at the bottom it'll give you the link.

Got it. Thanks!!!!!!

Hi..nobody answered me, so I would like to repeat my question...

Is it possible to allow image maps and especially it´s title tags for description in the Profile Page?

I have used the Title in County maps for showing names of visited Couties and now it is not working :)

Thanks for your answer.

Edited by Mejstro

Good evening Raine,

While I understand the changes made in the DIV tags I really miss the fact that my personal tabbed profile stuff no longer works.

Since you use the same tabbed style at the top of the profile page would it be possible to allow us to use the script you use to shorten our profiles?

Thanks for all your hard work.

Jim

5552: Discontinue PDF print function

Removed the PDF print function from cache page

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :laughing:

I agree completely. I liked the PDF version. It consistantly saved printing at least one page, saving trees, staples, and made a much smaller pile of caching sheets to clutter up the house with. :)

I also agree completely! When printing with logs, if there is a hint given by the owner of the cache, the name of the cache and coordinates are not there! The top third of the page is blank! What a waste of time & paper that is! Why would you want to "fix something that isn't broken?" Please bring the PDF format back!

It seems as though my etrex ledgend is no longer supported. I cannot download waypoints from the cache pages. I did download teh latest garmin Plugin.

I have the same problem with my etrex Legend-- no download possible even though the test says it's fine. The fine print on the Communicator page says that only serial connections will work. The Legend has a 9-pin connector. They'll sell you a serial to 9 pin cable for $60. I'm very upset that my year-old device has been rendered obsolete by this change. Since the Legend is still being sold, I think this lack of support is not good customer relations.

The location field in the old configuration can now be found back in the Mailing Address fields. Those don't appear on the public profile. But as I wanted the Location Field in the Profile Details still showing up my hometown, I tried to add the city to it.

It doesn't work. I get the message :

The first name must be between 1 and 32 characters long.

And :

The last name must be between 2 and 32 characters long.

Altough I didn't change my name, and it is between 2 and 32 characters ....

I'm having a problem with my profile. I have a section titled "Caching Cronies" that contains 6 individual stat bars.

If I "Preview Profile Details" everything just hunky-dorey.

But if I "View my Profile" or "View Public Profile", two of the images do not display and all of the tag lines say "Let's go Geocaching" even though they have customized tag lines.

What gives?

I used to be able to decrypt the hint of a cache if I so chose and it would be decrypted on the print page. Now when I decrypt the hint and go to the print page it is still encrypted and no option to decrypt it before printing. Will that be fixed?

Ok, I found the decrypt button on the page that comes up to print.

After I fixed my own coding errors on my profile page all is well there too.

Thanks.

I'm having a problem with my profile. I have a section titled "Caching Cronies" that contains 6 individual stat bars.

If I "Preview Profile Details" everything just hunky-dorey.

But if I "View my Profile" or "View Public Profile", two of the images do not display and all of the tag lines say "Let's go Geocaching" even though they have customized tag lines.

What gives?

That is rather interesting. The custom tag lines ("Procrastinate Now!" and "WBBLWSMPP") are showing now, but two of the stat bars are still not showing, although they are clickable and to take you to the person's profile page. If you view properties on the stat bar, it shows as "Not available".

For those of us who still print the descriptions out, I wish that we could have saved this option. The pdf could be saved as a file and opened later or printed out. Now what am I to do? :)

Please read all of this thread and other threads with PDF and Printing in the titles...

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :laughing:

I agree completely. I liked the PDF version. It consistantly saved printing at least one page, saving trees, staples, and made a much smaller pile of caching sheets to clutter up the house with. :)

I also agree completely! When printing with logs, if there is a hint given by the owner of the cache, the name of the cache and coordinates are not there! The top third of the page is blank! What a waste of time & paper that is! Why would you want to "fix something that isn't broken?" Please bring the PDF format back!

AMEN, I missed this and added another reply with the same issue. Thought I would add to this one to re-enforce the comment. REALLY want this back !!!

AMEN, I missed this and added another reply with the same issue. Thought I would add to this one to re-enforce the comment. REALLY want this back !!!

Try Highlighting the item you want to print the hit control+P on your key board. Select the box marked selection and you should be abnle to print out what you need.

I personally haven't tried this yet myself, but it should work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did this: I went to a cache info page highlighted what I wanted to print, right clicked on it, selected copy, opened a blank word document and pasted the data on it, even got the map. I resized the map and now I have a one page document of the cache with the map. I can now either save it to my computer and/or I can print it out.

Edited by cbroker

For those of us who still print the descriptions out, I wish that we could have saved this option. The pdf could be saved as a file and opened later or printed out. Now what am I to do? :)

Do a search for a free PrintToPDF utility. It installs and acts like a printer. When you go to print just change from your default normal printer to the PDF option and it will create a PDF file and save it in the location you choose. It won't give you the same format as the ready made one from the site but may be an alternative for you. I guess this is what I will be doing as I was using the PDF file from the site also.

P.S. I'm at work so I can't access the utility I use to get the exact name but if I leave it open when I print I can use it to print multiple files into one PDF. Not sure yet if this will be handy for caching or better to have each in it's own file.

Do a search for a free PrintToPDF utility. It installs and acts like a printer. When you go to print just change from your default normal printer to the PDF option and it will create a PDF file and save it in the location you choose. It won't give you the same format as the ready made one from the site but may be an alternative for you. I guess this is what I will be doing as I was using the PDF file from the site also.

P.S. I'm at work so I can't access the utility I use to get the exact name but if I leave it open when I print I can use it to print multiple files into one PDF. Not sure yet if this will be handy for caching or better to have each in it's own file.

CutePDF Writer :laughing:

Is there a 'mobile' site for geocaching.com? It looks somewhat PDA friendly, but I am not sure if I am in the right place with it. Most sites will redirect you automatically to the mobile version of a website if they have one.

http://wap.geocaching.com/

Very simple and basic and really fast on a phone.

Edited to add that you can search for caches in the DDDº MM.MMM' format even though the search field shows an example in decimal format. Just enter it normally, like 41 41.000 and -100 10.000, and it'll work fine.

Edited by Skippermark

Try Highlighting the item you want to print the hit control+P on your key board. Select the box marked selection and you should be abnle to print out what you need.

Just did this: I went to a cache info page highlighted what I wanted to print, right clicked on it, selected copy, opened a blank word document and pasted the data on it, even got the map. I resized the map and now I have a one page document of the cache with the map. I can now either save it to my computer and/or I can print it out.

That's real OLD School I know, and adds an awful lot of unecessary and cumbersome work. (even more for those not as familiar with the computer world) I retired from a CAD profession and it always helped to know the reasoning, so again: Why the change from the PDF function printing??? It would really help to know the reasoning...

That's real OLD School I know, and adds an awful lot of unecessary and cumbersome work. (even more for those not as familiar with the computer world) I retired from a CAD profession and it always helped to know the reasoning, so again: Why the change from the PDF function printing??? It would really help to know the reasoning...

This was answered on page 2 of this same thread, post # 8 on the page.

Edited by HuskerMagna

This was answered on page 2 of this same thread, post # 8 on the page.

Thanks for the lead, although it didn't answer. I don't see that there were complaints about PDF's, The recognized STANDARD (Prof Document Format). I use it and Internet Explorer in everything else I do and do not see changing my system for this. I am puzzled that there is such a problem with the standards used by the rest of the world. Our Geocaching experience will be greatly diminished in the name of progress.

How soon till IE will be developed? :laughing:

when I try to load geocaches I get this:

Garmin

DeLorme

Can't get it to run? Try installing the latest plugin here.

I've loaded and teated latest plug-in...but still cannot load caches from computer.

It waorked fine until the upgrade

I agree completely. I liked the PDF version. It consistantly saved printing at least one page, saving trees, staples, and made a much smaller pile of caching sheets to clutter up the house with. :laughing:

When I tried to do the print to PDF it removed the top of the page deleting the coordinates and such. This way I got it all and in one page..

The "send to GPS" feature for Garmin is no longer working for me. I checked, and the latest plug-in is installed.

I'm seeing the same problem. Garmin site confirms it's installed and up to date.

same problem here...worked fine until 2/12/09...now all I get is;

Garmin

DeLorme

Can't get it to run? Try installing the latest plugin here.

over and over and over and over.....

Send to GPS has been hotfixed and should be working properly in Firefox now. Please let us know if you find it to be otherwise. Thanks.

Still isn't working for me. got the new plugin, logged in/out, rebooted.

works fine on the test page

Send To GPS now works fine on Firefox. Thanks for the quick fix.

so what is the "Foxfire" thing?