Release Notes 2/11/09

OpinioNate

Having selected My GPS and had a play, I now don't wish to show it.

There is no "Show no GPS" option, having had a play?

Along similar lines, what about people (like me) who have more than one GPS? Having selected one I now can't add a second one or remove the first one.

Now that the update is for the most part well in hand, I'd like take a moment to thank the reviewers for their help in testing the release.

Since Friday we made available a test site which allowed the volunteer reviewers to dig around and try to break things, and a number of bugs were caught which may have slipped by us. Based on the success of this trial run, we'd like to make this a regular part of the pre-release procedures, and I believe we'll all benefit greatly as a result.

Their service to Groundspeak and Geocaching.com never ceases to amaze, and all of us here are enormously grateful for it. Thank you!

It would appear that a major portion of the geocaching community either works in I.T. or are certainly very computer literate. Therefore most of us understand the complexity of applications etc.

As everyone knows, nothing beats real world testing. Beta testing is essential but not all encompassing. If it were, Garmin would never have released the Colorado on an unsuspecting world.

When you remember that gc.com is being accessed 7/24, imagine how tricky it must be to upgrade the website? So a few glitches are to be expected. What really counts is how developers respond to those glitches.

I first applaud those volunteer reviewers for giving up even MORE of their personal time to test an update. I hope Groundspeak does something nice for them.

Second, kudo's to Opinionate/Raine/et. al. for rapidly fixing issues as they arise.

Nothing is ever perfect but for $30/year, gc.com is one helluva bargain.

I noticed that on an IE 6.0 browser the Google cache maps don't seem to work anymore. Haven't checked yet to see if the problem occurs in IE 7.0 or Firefox, etc. but just wanted to note as there may be some users who still use 6.0 (my laptop is in the shop for a couple of weeks an I'm using a loaner with 6.0.....my desktop has 7.0, Firefox, Safari, etc. so I'll check those out later).

I tried IE 7.0, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Google Chrome and the above problem seems to be limited to IE 6.0. Very strange.

In a different rant, I tried to enter my GPS (I actually use a Garmin Forerunner 205 for caching....it's quite accurate with the latest SiRF chip and very convenient on my wrist) and it wasn't an option. My "backup GPS", an old Lowrance IWay 100M, wasn't listed either. So I put my broken (probably forever) Lowrance iFinder Go2 in just to test it. But it doesn't give me an option to show "no GPS" anymore so I'm stuck showing this as my GPS.

I realize that many GPSr's are only used for caching "obscurely", but couldn't there be an "Other" option, preferably with the ability to type in one's GPSr? I find this frustrating because unless they see my description of our GPS devices in our profile, viewers will think I still use the Go2.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Hi !

After you have made this update, I can't use Trimbles Geocache navigator from my nokia N95

I can see all the caches but when I want to read the info about the cache or if I want to read the log, I only get "System.web.services.protocols.....

server was unable to request --->

Is there any chance to get it back alive? :D

Thanks for the great job you guys are doing!!

/per

My Profile/Search for Nearest Caches/Map It shows a map but no caches. No list of caches shows up, either.

Find All earby Caches gives a list of caches, but Map It again gives just a map with no caches.

Is there something I am supposed to set differently?

I do not believe it is just my computer because under Search Results it says "zero caches displayed".

Please help!

Edited by ncfinn

We're going to roll back the <div> tag change and work on finding other ways to prevent the abuse. It seems there are far too many users who are negatively affected by the removal of the use of this tag to justify the loss. I'm sorry for the folks who have been inconvenienced!

Thank you SOOOO much for the <div> tag fix, but I still have an issue with the <onclick> feature for personal tabs created that I use on my profile page. Clicking on the tabs no longer opens the corresponding info under the tabs. I am not the only one to use this feature. Ranger Fox's profile page personal tabs are not working either. Please, I would hope that this feature could be allowed back in.

As with others that have mentioned, it is sad that a few people mess it up for the masses. Those members should be disciplined independently instead of affecting the masses.

Haven't discovered any other errors on my end, but one last thing that may just be on my end. Please advise.

When viewing my public profile pages, caches found, hid caches, etc., I try to use the "back" button to go back to the previous page because the tabs are no longer there to chose from. When clicking to go back I get the below error message. When I click the "reload" button as indicated, my public profile page opens again. :D Any idea :blink:

Confirm Form Resubmission

This web page requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed. Press Reload to resend that data and display this page.

Hi !

After you have made this update, I can't use Trimbles Geocache navigator from my nokia N95

I can see all the caches but when I want to read the info about the cache or if I want to read the log, I only get "System.web.services.protocols.....

/per

Is this still not working for you? The was corrected around 4pm PST yesterday..

-Raine

6634: Create default zip code on the front page based on home coordinates of logged in user

The search box on the home page will use GEOIP to determine a postal code if it cannot find home coordinates for a user.

On clicking the "Go" button beside home coords on the home page, would it be possible to filter out found and owned caches? Just makes sense to filter out those. Thanks.

I am trying to preview a PQ in Google Maps by clicking on the “Preview In Google Maps” icon listed on the “My Pocket Queries” page, and not having any luck.

After clicking on the icon, it goes to the Google Map of Green Lake and continues spinning the “requesting geocaches” note. This goes on for a long time and never brings up the PQ area map. I have tried a few different PQs.

Anyone else have this same problem?

Using IE 7.0

5552: Discontinue PDF print function

Removed the PDF print function from cache page

:D:blink::D

That was one of my favorite features that I use every time i go caching!!!!

If it is possible could it be brought back?????

Play around with the printer friendly buttons now. They work great and are adjustable. The printer friendly feature is better than the old pdf feature now.

I am trying to preview a PQ in Google Maps by clicking on the “Preview In Google Maps” icon listed on the “My Pocket Queries” page, and not having any luck.

After clicking on the icon, it goes to the Google Map of Green Lake and continues spinning the “requesting geocaches” note. This goes on for a long time and never brings up the PQ area map. I have tried a few different PQs.

Using IE 7.0

I've been having the same problem. When i search by a zipcode, it gives me a list of caches, but when you click on the map it icon, the map pops up fine, but the "requesting geocaches" comes up and thats it. The caches never show up. Hope they fix this one soon. I like to use the map to see the caches near where I am heading.

I am using IE 7.0 also.

My Profile/Search for Nearest Caches/Map It shows a map but no caches. No list of caches shows up, either.

Find All earby Caches gives a list of caches, but Map It again gives just a map with no caches.

Is there something I am supposed to set differently?

I do not believe it is just my computer because under Search Results it says "zero caches displayed".

Please help!

I am having the same problem in both FF3 and IE7

I tried to add a gps to my profile, the first option worked, picked garmin, second option picked the Map60Csx....then can't do anything else.

As soon as I choose the manufacturer option the whole screen goes transparent grey, second window shows with those two options white, I select man. Chose gps and then the boxes for submit and cancel never change to white. Dead end. I tried changing gps and then tried different makers and gps combos. No change.

Hi !

/per

Is this still not working for you? The was corrected around 4pm PST yesterday..

-Raine

This is still the same for me aswell. I've posted about it on Trimbles forum but had no reply as yet.

5552: Discontinue PDF print function

Removed the PDF print function from cache page

:D:blink::D

That was one of my favorite features that I use every time i go caching!!!!

If it is possible could it be brought back?????

Play around with the printer friendly buttons now. They work great and are adjustable. The printer friendly feature is better than the old pdf feature now.

And if you still need an actual PDF file, install one of the free/cheap PDF print drivers like CutePDF or PDFWriter (or built into MacOS natively).

I'm having some difficulty reproducing these reports of IE 6 and Geocaching Google Maps so if anyone who is experiencing missing caches on the map could elaborate I would be very appreciative. I do have IE 6 open here and am having no trouble.

And just a reminder to anyone else seeing little quirky behaviors, it's always a good idea after a release to start a new browser session. That means closing out *all* windows and the re-opening. (I know this is the equivalent of resetting-your-modem-advice from Comcast but I swear it works!)

I haven't read through all of the previous pages of posts, but I do want to say that I really like the green "characters used" progress bar when typing a GPS unit review. Are there plans to enable this feature when writing cache logs?

Can't see the "green" progress bar on Chrome, just the # of characters used.

Using IE 7.0

It works now. Thanks!

We're going to roll back the <div> tag change and work on finding other ways to prevent the abuse. It seems there are far too many users who are negatively affected by the removal of the use of this tag to justify the loss. I'm sorry for the folks who have been inconvenienced!

Thank you SOOOO much for the <div> tag fix, but I still have an issue with the <onclick> feature for personal tabs created that I use on my profile page. Clicking on the tabs no longer opens the corresponding info under the tabs. I am not the only one to use this feature. Ranger Fox's profile page personal tabs are not working either. Please, I would hope that this feature could be allowed back in.

As with others that have mentioned, it is sad that a few people mess it up for the masses. Those members should be disciplined independently instead of affecting the masses.

Haven't discovered any other errors on my end, but one last thing that may just be on my end. Please advise.

When viewing my public profile pages, caches found, hid caches, etc., I try to use the "back" button to go back to the previous page because the tabs are no longer there to chose from. When clicking to go back I get the below error message. When I click the "reload" button as indicated, my public profile page opens again. :D Any idea :blink:

Confirm Form Resubmission

This web page requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed. Press Reload to resend that data and display this page.

Any response to my previous post?

I have a question. I bought a GPS system yesterday and I tried to put in the GPS System details into the GPS System of my profile , but it was not listed. Any way I can list my system.

It's a Jensen Navigational System. NVX225. Bought it at a Pawn shop, works good. It'll do for now until I can buy a newer one.

Now if only I can find a way to update the maps. The ones it has are from 2006.

Edited by cbroker

I have a question. I bought a GPS system yesterday and I tried to put in the GPS System details into the GPS System of my profile , but it was not listed. Any way I can list my system.

It's a Jensen Navigational System. NVX225. Bought it at a Pawn shop, works good. It'll do for now until I can buy a newer one.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3829074

I'm not sure how people are missing the link on the dialog where you select your GPS from. It actually says:

"Don't see your device here? Email us and let us know. "

And links to a new email.

I'm having some difficulty reproducing these reports of IE 6 and Geocaching Google Maps so if anyone who is experiencing missing caches on the map could elaborate I would be very appreciative. I do have IE 6 open here and am having no trouble.

And just a reminder to anyone else seeing little quirky behaviors, it's always a good idea after a release to start a new browser session. That means closing out *all* windows and the re-opening. (I know this is the equivalent of resetting-your-modem-advice from Comcast but I swear it works!)

Seems to be working for me now.

I had started new browser sessions before. In fact I never use IE, so when I tired it earlier it was definitely a new browser session for it.

But it is working in both IE7 and FF3 for me now.

I'm not sure how people are missing the link on the dialog where you select your GPS from. It actually says:

I was just there and there's nothing there about e-mailing anyone. Just provides list of manufacturers and that's it.

I was just there and there's nothing there about e-mailing anyone. Just provides list of manufacturers and that's it.

Select a manufacturer. Then at the bottom it'll give you the link.

Another issue: the seek/nearest.aspx search no longer supports my Username RoRo[tm]

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=RoRo[tm]

gives me the answer: "That username does not exist in the system"

I hate to quote myself, but this issue was fixed in the meantime.

Thanks for solving this problem so quickly!

Tschoeeee

Roland

PS: The quote mechanism of this forum also doesn't support backets in the "name" attribute :D

:D-->

QUOTE(josie b @ Feb 12 2009, 01:49 PM) 3829284[/snapback]

Not at all happy with removing the PDF printing capability. Saved alot of ink for # 1 reason.

Please reconsider or perhaps a reasonable explanation would be helpful

Explanations have been given on this forum and in this thread. It was more trouble than it was worth.

I'm not sure how much ink you think you're saving - make use of the "collapsing" nature of the various segments and do a Print Preview to not print the page(s) you don't need.

I agree completely with Tequila.

Other wise, I guess I need to study the "Print: Simple" features as I know I will miss saving PDF data! (5552: Discontinue PDF print function)

The only other issue I see that has NOT been commented on is: "Your current rating for the selected GPS" needs instructions on how to select the number of stars. I was very confused until I moused over them, accidentally. Allowing input on more than one GPS would also be a good thing.

I look forward to seeing fixes to some of the recent roll back items.

SparksGuy

It would appear that a major portion of the geocaching community either works in I.T. or are certainly very computer literate. Therefore most of us understand the complexity of applications etc.

As everyone knows, nothing beats real world testing. Beta testing is essential but not all encompassing. If it were, Garmin would never have released the Colorado on an unsuspecting world.

When you remember that gc.com is being accessed 7/24, imagine how tricky it must be to upgrade the website? So a few glitches are to be expected. What really counts is how developers respond to those glitches.

I first applaud those volunteer reviewers for giving up even MORE of their personal time to test an update. I hope Groundspeak does something nice for them.

Second, kudo's to Opinionate/Raine/et. al. for rapidly fixing issues as they arise.

Nothing is ever perfect but for $30/year, gc.com is one helluva bargain.

Have you tried regenerating the code Ranger Fox supplied? Probably when the DIV tag was stripped it removed some of the code. It would not have been reinserted when the DIV tag was returned.

The preview profile works fine when clicking the link to preview it and it opens in a new window. It's only when opened in a regular browser with my full profile that the tab clicks don't work. It down's work in IE or Chrome. Haven't tried FF. I can try to reload it to see what happens, but I'm not confident that is the problem.

Seek a cache by local state page isn't working. or has that option been removed? I used it to find future event caches.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just noticed the same thing. Please don't remove these pages. I make much use of them too. Hopefully whatever is breaking those pages can be fixed. :blink:

Thanks for fixing the local state pages. You guys rock! :D

Have you tried regenerating the code Ranger Fox supplied? Probably when the DIV tag was stripped it removed some of the code. It would not have been reinserted when the DIV tag was returned.

The preview profile works fine when clicking the link to preview it and it opens in a new window. It's only when opened in a regular browser with my full profile that the tab clicks don't work. It down's work in IE or Chrome. Haven't tried FF. I can try to reload it to see what happens, but I'm not confident that is the problem.

Tried reloading the entire code again after deleting all, saving, closing, opening, re-inserting and saving again, but still same issue with the onclick feature not working. Please view my profile for reference. Clicking one of the tabs should open new info and close the old.

Also, new problem noted. Now I am getting the same error on my private profile page as others have had and it is not showing my icon as well. Below is the error.

Premium Member

Since: Unknown

Renewal Date: 8/8/2009

Caches Found: 0

Caches Hidden: 0