Release Notes 2/11/09

OpinioNate

5552: Discontinue PDF print function

Removed the PDF print function from cache page

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :(

One issue/question. I use GSAK to make profile stats and they are all messed up. Do I need to update them to fix this the next time I get a MY Finds PQ?

Someone else pointed this out to me and now Raine is looking into it. Hopefully we'll be able to isolate the problem and fix quickly.

Edit: Turns out this occurs because we have restricted the use of the <div> tag in text boxes in this release. People were using this tag to obscure areas of the profile which were not meant to be obscured. It's unfortunate that some user's decision to exploit HTML have affected honest users, but that is something we could not allow. I'm afraid those elements of your profile which used this tag will have to be reformed.

Edited by OpinioNate

Why was this removed? I just went to Premium Membership, and appreciated the PDF printing -- neater layout, shows if any travel bugs/geo coins are supposed to be in the cache, and sometimes when I would use the "Print Simple" layout previously, the header info (coords, D/T ratings, etc.) would not print, so I would have to go back and write them on the paper (I know, I need to go paperless, but I'm just not there yet). Also gave a good place to take notes and work any decryption.

I can understand some of the other changes, but this seems to have taken away something that I (briefly) found very useful and worth upgrading for. :(

I agree completely. I liked the PDF version. It consistantly saved printing at least one page, saving trees, staples, and made a much smaller pile of caching sheets to clutter up the house with. :(

Nate commented they would be discontinuing the .pdf option in the near future.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3817947

In a future release we're going to discontinue cache PDF's and improve the Print Friendly functionality to compensate. PDF's are just more trouble than they're worth, so we choose to spend our developer time in more productive ways.

While PDF's are still available, I would highly recommend using the Firefox browser in place of Internet Explorer. We will endeavor to have the full-featured Print Friendly option available as soon as possible for those of you who are resistant to changing browsers.

DeLorme:

Now you can send caches directly to your PN-Series GPS units from DeLorme using the Send to GPS feature on every cache page. Download the browser plugin.

====================================

I downloaded the Delorme browser plugin and it seems to work fine and will download cache info directly to my PN-20 as long as I'm doing it from IE, but doesn't recognize that I've downloaded and installed the plugin when I'm accessing from AOL 9.1. It continues to prompt me to download the plugin whenever I try to send cache info to my GPS. Should it work from within AOL or is that not supported?

I couldn't get the Garmin plug-in to work on Firefox. Kept saying Garmin Plug-In not fiund. And I did download it again. It does work on IE though.

Can somebody kick start the HTML parser? <a href> tags are currently being striped out of cache descriptions again.

I'm getting style attributes ripped out by the parser on a cache I just submitted. Example:

<div style="border: double 4px black;">

Becomes just

<div>

when I view source, but the correct html is in the decscription field. :(:(

Can somebody kick start the HTML parser? <a href> tags are currently being striped out of cache descriptions again.

I'm getting style attributes ripped out by the parser on a cache I just submitted. Example:

Becomes just

<div>

Yeah, that seems to be why the FindStatGen stats on the profile pages are not displaying correctly. They make heavy use of the style attributes.

On a related note, the <a href> tags are working fine again. Thanks!

One issue/question. I use GSAK to make profile stats and they are all messed up. Do I need to update them to fix this the next time I get a MY Finds PQ?

Same for me. I use the FindStatGen macro in GSAK to make profile stats, and the output seems to break when putting it into the profile (viewing it standalone works just fine). It seems that something in the handling of DIV-tags and/or tables in the profile broke during the update. (Its a bit hard to diagnose as the actual HTML code seems to get included via some JavaScript-foo when displaying the Profile page, so I can't tell what exactly is being filtered.)

(Its a bit hard to diagnose as the actual HTML code seems to get included via some JavaScript-foo when displaying the Profile page, so I can't tell what exactly is being filtered.)

Fact that the average stat HTML output is near 75-100k characters doesn't make things easier either. But as noted already, stripping of the <DIV> attributes seems to be a key player.

Becomes just

<div>

I know this will disappoint a lot of people, but this was a business decision made at the highest level.

Turns out this occurs because we have restricted the use of the <div> tag in text boxes in this release. People were using this tag to obscure areas of the profile which were not meant to be obscured. It's unfortunate that some user's decision to exploit HTML have affected honest users, but that is something we could not allow. I'm afraid those elements of your profile which used this tag will have to be reformed.

While PDF's are still available, I would highly recommend using the Firefox browser in place of Internet Explorer.

I tried Firefox on my Desktop computer and it practically froze the entire thing, even when I had lots of memory and I was only running the browser. I had to delete it and then go into RegEdit and pick out the leftover pieces of Firefox the uninstall program didn't take out.

Because of that, Firefox isn't getting anywhere near my laptop!!!

Becomes just

<div>

I know this will disappoint a lot of people, but this was a business decision made at the highest level.

Turns out this occurs because we have restricted the use of the <div> tag in text boxes in this release. People were using this tag to obscure areas of the profile which were not meant to be obscured. It's unfortunate that some user's decision to exploit HTML have affected honest users, but that is something we could not allow. I'm afraid those elements of your profile which used this tag will have to be reformed.

So how about a little help and guidance as to what you will allow now in place of the <div> tag. I wouldn't want to waste time trying to figure out what you will and will not allow that will do a similar function for my tabs that I used.

Any chance we can put more than one GPSr on the list of GPSr's?

I used three in total. (Don't ask why cause I really don't know) I just picked the one I use the most.

And yup my GSAK stat thingy is all messed up as I think other's have had the same problem. I'm guessing that's do to that <div> tag thingy. Not really sure what that tag is but I'm heding over to find out now.

I think you need to undo whatever you did. I can no longer download waypoints to my GPS. The program says the Garmin plug-in is not installed but I have installed it twice and the Garmin web site says it was installed properly.

I am disappointed that the software was updated without verifying it was going to work.

Please fix whatever it was you broke.

Thanks,

mmta

Were Clyde and other developers told so they could make the necessary changes to their code/macros used to generate stats and released them in conjunction with this update or are they finding out like the rest of us. My guess is that GSAK will be fixed in a day or less and others that depend on div tags will be done soon. I also suspect that unless you took out style attributes altogether people will find other ways to obscure parts of the profile page. (What were they trying to obsucure anyhow? The "give a gift membership" link?)

Woohoo! Maybe this is the end of all those stupid stats on profiles. Thank you, Groundspeak!

:(

And yup my GSAK stat thingy is all messed up as I think other's have had the same problem. I'm guessing that's do to that <div> tag thingy. Not really sure what that tag is but I'm heding over to find out now.

There is already a discussion on the GSAK forums about the recent change to the profile HTML tags.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=10931

Hopefully a decent workaround can be developed, but I would assume the once very elegant stat reports will no longer be as grand as they once were.

Someone else pointed this out to me and now Raine is looking into it. Hopefully we'll be able to isolate the problem and fix quickly.

Edit: Turns out this occurs because we have restricted the use of the <div> tag in text boxes in this release. People were using this tag to obscure areas of the profile which were not meant to be obscured. It's unfortunate that some user's decision to exploit HTML have affected honest users, but that is something we could not allow. I'm afraid those elements of your profile which used this tag will have to be reformed.

So why punish those of us who are doing it right. Warn the ones who were abusing the <div> tags (whatever the heck they are) once and after that ban them. Sounds like a very simple fix to me.

I noticed that on an IE 6.0 browser the Google cache maps don't seem to work anymore. Haven't checked yet to see if the problem occurs in IE 7.0 or Firefox, etc. but just wanted to note as there may be some users who still use 6.0 (my laptop is in the shop for a couple of weeks an I'm using a loaner with 6.0.....my desktop has 7.0, Firefox, Safari, etc. so I'll check those out later).

There is already a discussion on the GSAK forums about the recent change to the profile HTML tags.

Hopefully a decent workaround can be developed, but I would assume the once very elegant stat reports will no longer be as grand as they once were.

Removing this functionality sucks. Boooo on Groundspeak. $%&$!

Ok, you have removed the PDF print function from cache page, ok, you have canceled using of some HTML tags, so I think it should be OK, when you return my money for Premium Account, because I think, when I pay for something Ill get it... If no, in my country it is infraction of a treaty and it is agains laws in EU...

I think you need to undo whatever you did. I can no longer download waypoints to my GPS. The program says the Garmin plug-in is not installed but I have installed it twice and the Garmin web site says it was installed properly.

I am disappointed that the software was updated without verifying it was going to work.

Thanks,

mmta

There does seem to be some issues with the StGPS which we're looking into. For now it appears that Internet Explorer is still working properly so if you're pressed for time that would be a good option. I'll update you when we have more information.

I know you guys are still working the bugs out of everything and probably will be for the next few days but things look really good so far. I do have one comment though and that is my edit profile page is showing my old ID name and not the one I changed to over a year ago. Thanks for all your hardwork and keep it up. It's nice to see something is being done to improve the functionality of the website and hope things continue this way in the future.

Edited by Haffy

So why punish those of us who are doing it right. Warn the ones who were abusing the <div> tags (whatever the heck they are) once and after that ban them. Sounds like a very simple fix to me.

Oh and I forgot to add how about the email notifications? Are they fixed yet? How about adding a check box on the map page to hide disabled caches like the found and hidden ones? How about not having the map pages load caches until I click a button after I get the map centered just where I want them?

Sounds like a lot of paying customers are not very happy with with these changes.

How about giving the customers what they want?

Edited by xshooter

Oh and I forgot to add how about the email notifications? Are they fixed yet? How about adding a check box on the map page to hide disabled caches like the found and hidden ones? How about not having the map pages load caches until I click a button after I get the map centered just where I want them?

Sounds like a lot of paying customers are not very happy with with these changes.

How about giving the customers what they want?

I am still ticked that they took away the ability to highlight bookmarked caches on the online maps 18 months ago.

That's absurd :( What am I gonna use now to lay-out my pages? Table tags again?

There must be another solution to this 'problem'....

Ok, you have removed the PDF print function from cache page, ok, you have canceled using of some HTML tags, so I think it should be OK, when you return my money for Premium Account, because I think, when I pay for something Ill get it... If no, in my country it is infraction of a treaty and it is agains laws in EU...

Someone didn't read the website Terms Of Use

3. License to Use Site; Restrictions

Groundspeak may change, suspend, or discontinue any portion of the Site, or any service offered on the Site, at any time, including but not limited to any feature, database, application, or content. Groundspeak may also impose limits on certain features offered on the Site with or without notice.

And nowhere in the description for Premium Membership does it say anything about PDFs or HTML tags. (Note you must not be logged in as a PM to view the membership advantages at that link.)

If am disappointed that the software was updated without verifying it was going to work.

Thanks,

mmta

There does seem to be some issues with the StGPS which we're looking into. For now it appears that Internet Explorer is still working properly so if you're pressed for time that would be a good option. I'll update you when we have more information.

Yup, the updates definitely broke something on the Garmin side. I can't d/l waypoints directly to my Garmin anymore. I don't know if you guys are aware of it or not but you guys seem to be ignoring our posts since I haven't seen any replies to any of the user's complaints.

I you would have read the entire thread before making your first post on the forums a complaint you would have seen it is not only noted but being worked on. Mistakes and bugs happen, I wish folks wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion everyone at GS is out to stomp on our fun. I am glad the site is dynamic and constantly being improved. I think today's updates show us a bit of that V2 "Pheonix" website Jeremy hinted at last year. I think it looks great and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Edited by ZSandmann

And nowhere in the description for Premium Membership does it say anything about PDFs or HTML tags. (Note you must not be logged in as a PM to view the membership advantages at that link.)

Link you ve send dosnt show description of Premium Membership but Payment site... Ok, But email notification are not working and Pocket Queries also. I set up PQ to send daily, it comes only every 2 or more days (if I have luck) and this problem have many of my friends... and it is PM feature...

Removing this functionality sucks. Boooo on Groundspeak. $%&$!

I totally agree. I hope there will be some agreement to please the huge amount of users using FindStatGen. :(

5791: Arrange log activity on Profile page in chronological order

/My/ page will now arrange cache finds in reverse chronological order by date

Finally, after so many years! Miracles do happen :( ...

The edit profile page looks pretty messy though ...

And the "My Profile" link in the nav bar is missing an image.

I've always entered my cache finds as first one done to last one done on any given day, so that when looking at the profile page, the first cache done for that day was at the bottom of the list for that day. So this change means I can keep entering my caches the same way, only now the first done of the day will be at the top. Is that right? Or do I have to change how I enter my finds, etc? Thanks.

Edited to add: As I am looking at my cache pages the entires don't seem to be in any kind of order except date order. :(

Edited by GPX Navigators

I've always entered my cache finds as first one done to last one done on any given day, so that when looking at the profile page, the first cache done for that day was at the bottom of the list for that day. So this change means I can keep entering my caches the same way, only now the first done of the day will be at the top. Is that right? Or do I have to change how I enter my finds, etc? Thanks.

Edited to add: As I am looking at my cache pages the entires don't seem to be in any kind of order except date order. :(

No, you can keep logging in this way and expect the last log you post to be on top.

Not again... :D Eveytime you guys update the site it seems less stuff works. :(

Now I can re-do most of my cache pages (again), because I use <div> tags all over the place for creating colums, aligning stuf, ... Stuff that div's are meant for.

Thinking out loud: Maybe I'll just place all my cache descriptions on my own webspace and make all my cache pages just contain plain links there. That way my hard work isn't being undone everytime the site is updated. :(

Woohoo! Maybe this is the end of all those stupid stats on profiles. Thank you, Groundspeak!

Then don't look at my stupid profile(definitely not now its crap) just like I don't do stupid micro caches in parking lots or sides of old falling down building that should be ended. :(