Garmin 60CSx on/off switch

Winstonsdad

Has anybody had problems turning their 60CSx on and off with the power button? I push and nothing happens either turning on or off. I am wondering if the switch has malfunctioned and I need to send the unit in. Is this a common problem or am I just the lucky one?

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but you do know you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds before it shuts off,,,, right??

To follow up....I contacted Garmin Tech support and described my problems. We tried a re-boot on the unit thinking perhaps it was a software issue. The unit did not respond, so Garmin is shipping me a new replacement unit. (of course, I have to pay for it and then get a credit back on the charge card). In any case, Garmin is replacing the unit which is less than 90 days old.

I think someone else posted the same question and if I am not mistaken, they checked theirs against a new one in the store and both were the same.

In my experience, my finger has to be dead-on the switch for it to engage. I often have to use the tip of my finger instead of the flat part. A successful press means I also feel the "click" under my finger tip just before the audible beep. I am actually glad the switch works this way to prevent an accidental on/off.

I've had the same problem for a couple years. If it sits on my cars dashboard where it gets heated up by the sun, I can neither cut on or cut off my 60cs. However, if I set it down on the seat or floor, after a few minutes it cools down and will work perfectly. Otherwise, to cut it off I have to either unplug the unit from the 12 volt dash plug or remove the batteries.

Edited by liketwohike

Just spotted this ... I have a 60Cx which started giving me major problems turning it on or off. Sometimes if I held the button down for long enough something would happen, but quite often it would take half a dozen or so tries to get anything to happen.

It turned out that I'd actually worn out the power switch !

It was out of warranty so I bodged a fix myself and it has been fine ever since. What you think is the power button is actually the top of a rubber plunger that presses on the actual switch, and the bottom of the plunger had worn away so it usually wasn't pressing the switch properly.

To do anything I would have to be able to get at the bottom of the rubber plunger, so first thing to do is get it out of its hole. I broke the seal about halfway around with a strong pin, then used the same pin to flick the rubber plunger out. It was still attached by about half of the seal.

Now I could see the hole I'd worn in the bottom of the plunger, and that I had to build it up again by about a millimetre. One of the gurus said he's had success doing this to his 60CSx by putting a drop of epoxy resin on the end of the plunger then filing it back it the original shape but I didn't have any resin, so I chopped the head off of my pin with about 5mm of shaft and rammed that into the bottom of the plunger :D Lastly I eventually managed to bend the plunger back into its hole without breaking too much of the rest of the seal that was holding it there.

I could have done something about waterproofing it again somehow but my 60Cx never gets wet so it wasn't worth the hassle.

Now everything works very well, and I can feel the click when the switch is pressed which I never used to be able to when it was only rubber doing all the work.

Hope that helps someone sometime B)

Gary

Edited by ceeG