Bringing New Cachers into the "game"

Dedmedic

Im new to caching but quickly became hooked...Ive read the topics on LPC's and P&G's...one of my first cache finds was a LPC...never having hunted one of these, it took several tries before I figured out where the cache was and I found it very enjoyable. I see there are some cachers that think these types of caches are "herpes" on the geocache trail. I know opinions vary on these park & grab caches. I believe they serve their purpose...whether your traveling and just need a little break or just need a quick cache fix. I have come to enjoy the quickies and the well thought out caches that involve a good search. Different strokes for different folks...Ive hidden bison tubes...altoids cans...magnetic keyholders.....decon containers...ammo boxes....but the best comment I heard on these was...whats better for the sport? If it gets people out from in front of the TV and out into the fresh air...and hopefully with a loved one...then its a good cache. :(

Im new to caching but quickly became hooked...Ive read the topics on LPC's and P&G's...one of my first cache finds was a LPC...never having hunted one of these, it took several tries before I figured out where the cache was and I found it very enjoyable. I see there are some cachers that think these types of caches are "herpes" on the geocache trail. I know opinions vary on these park & grab caches. I believe they serve their purpose...whether your traveling and just need a little break or just need a quick cache fix. I have come to enjoy the quickies and the well thought out caches that involve a good search. Different strokes for different folks...Ive hidden bison tubes...altoids cans...magnetic keyholders.....decon containers...ammo boxes....but the best comment I heard on these was...whats better for the sport? If it gets people out from in front of the TV and out into the fresh air...and hopefully with a loved one...then its a good cache. :(

An LPC is great when it is your first LPC and it's ok when your traveling and need a quick fix, but...

BUT...

But do you need a quick fix every tenth of a mile for the next 5 miles when there perfectly good techniques and hiding places that don't involve up skirting or just reaching out the car door?

~~~edit to add~~~

I would hardly call the air enveloping you car wile reaching out the door fresh.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

An LPC is great when it is your first LPC and it's ok when your traveling and need a quick fix, but...

BUT...

But do you need a quick fix every tenth of a mile for the next 5 miles when there perfectly good techniques and hiding places that don't involve up skirting or just reaching out the car door?

~~~edit to add~~~

I would hardly call the air enveloping you car wile reaching out the door fresh.

Boy; didn't take long for this thread's posters to go into attack mode.

Are micros an excuse for a cache?

My take on this:

Welcome to the dark world of Couch potato caching 101.

Micro spew really didn't take off until geocaching made it on several different tv shows. All the "couch potatoes" thought the hobby sounded fun, so they found and hid caches that catered to their sedentary lifestyles. This same group also found that they could achieve "status and popularity" based on the number of finds they have. In order to satiate the "large appetite" for "fast food" caches, said cachers hid lots of lamppost and parking lot micros. Caches that require exerting energy (like hiking caches), or caches that require more than a few minutes to find are avoided at all costs. Only the (MSH) Maximum Smilies per Hour caches are pursued by this crowd.

I'm still new to the Game... (Still Trying to decide which handheld to buy :( ) but I can see both sides of the story here. From my point of view though, the major reason that i'm getting into it is that i've found that cachers seem to know some of the best hikes around! the cache part just makes it more motivating for me to get out in the mountains for the day.

BUT...

~~~edit to add~~~

Boy; didn't take long for this thread's posters to go into attack mode.

I would hardly call that an attack, more like a question and a legitimate statement based on the toxic cloud that can envelop a car from its own exhaust.

I'm still new to the Game... (Still Trying to decide which handheld to buy :) ) but I can see both sides of the story here. From my point of view though, the major reason that i'm getting into it is that i've found that cachers seem to know some of the best hikes around! the cache part just makes it more motivating for me to get out in the mountains for the day.

I agree :lol: I've discovered so many wonderful places right in my backyard that I never knew existed! When I'm planning a trip one of the first things I do, it go to a few caches in different parks and look at their "gallery" to see if it's somewhere I want to go :(

The very first lamp post skirt hide i found, i did think it was clever, hey these things move? By number 3 it was old :( by number 10 I gave the bf an ultimatum, no more p&gs or I don't cache w/ you anymore. I'd rather be in a park in the fresh air than driving 10 minutes at a time in between signing my name on a sheet in some parking lot.

Though I did enjoy our nights driving from tiny park to tiny park in our new town/county a couple of years ago. Helped to familiarize ourseleves with the area.

Another "any cache is a good cache" newb, eh? I'm just kidding there, :(

Imagine if you could, that you were around when there were no LPC's and P&G's. And then you saw them just explode at a greater than expoential rate, and pretty much take over the game in many areas? They were all just there and (unfortunately) deeply ingrained into the fabric of the game when you signed on two months ago.

Now with a 2003 join date, I wasn't exactly tagging along with Dave Ulmer when he hid the first cache. But my statement applies to my immediate area and region. I didn't see keyholders turning up on random guardrails until 2005, or in store parking lots even later. And this is just me speaking, I've seen plenty of people in these forums with recent join dates who say stuff like "what's up with caching in parking lots"? I even know and have cached with a guy who joined in 2008 who ignores parking lot caches. He's not a "stealth" guy (nor am I).

Basically, I guess I've never been one of those people who need a "quick fix".

OK, I feel like an idiot. I've been caching for almost a year now, and yet today I'm stumped by a piece of terminology from this thread.

Just what is a "LPC"??

I hopped over to the "Glossary of Terms" in an attempt to find the answer myself, but there was no listing under those letters in the Glossary. Someone want to give me an explanation?

OK, I feel like an idiot. I've been caching for almost a year now, and yet today I'm stumped by a piece of terminology from this thread.

Just what is a "LPC"??

I hopped over to the "Glossary of Terms" in an attempt to find the answer myself, but there was no listing under those letters in the Glossary. Someone want to give me an explanation?

Hi crockett3663. I hope you're not an idiot, because if you are then I'm one too. Real recently I started a thread to find out what an LPC was. There were lots of humorous replies and one very useful one (not that the humorous ones weren't appreciated and educational). Anyways the one useful one had a link to THIS PAGE . It's another glossary of geocaching terms that I've found useful and bookmarked for my future use. Hopefully it will be useful to you too. Happy caching!!!! :(

Just what is a "LPC"??

Crocket3663,

While there are some Lamp Post Caches in Wisconsin, they don't exist in every Wallmart parking lot like they do in some areas of the country. Our reviewers are pretty diligent about making sure there is proper permission given before publishing a cache on private land. Wausau has only one LPC, and it's not even at Wally World...

Just what is a "LPC"??

Crocket3663,

While there are some Lamp Post Caches in Wisconsin, they don't exist in every Wallmart parking lot like they do in some areas of the country. Our reviewers are pretty diligent about making sure there is proper permission given before publishing a cache on private land. Wausau has only one LPC, and it's not even at Wally World...

WOOT WOOT!!!

HOORAY FOR Somewhere in Central Wisconsin!!

No one said you had to pick them all up at once! When I'm in an area, I'll pick up a few LPCs, but not always all of them, so I have something to go after the next time I'm in that area.

No one said you had to pick them all up at once! When I'm in an area, I'll pick up a few LPCs, but not always all of them, so I have something to go after the next time I'm in that area.

I don't know whose post you quoted Skelly. But I agree with it! So do you need more to pick up every time you're in the area? :( I'm not being a smart aleck, I really never subscribed to the whole "quick fix" thing.

whats better for the sport?

What are the choices?

a ) The same number of caches

b ) More caches regardless of the type

c ) More well thought out caches

I like c.

Most people will agree that we can always use more well-thought out caches.

Some people will say "b" and argue that any cache is a good cache.

One of the hardest concepts for me to accept was that different people have different ways of planning this game and that my ideals (especially when it comes to "quality") aren't the universally shared.

I still believe that there is value in encouraging people to give some thought to their placements and not just copy the types of cache hides they've seen around their local shopping center parking lot.

Edited by sdarken