Library cache?

MREAGLEWO1

I have read about library caches that have been done. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has completed/found one and/or has a link to a cache that is one. Also any ideas for one? I am planning one to be placed. It is for those rainy day caches and/or the times that cachers may need to use the internet/wi fi during their caching times.

Here's one that had an ammo can that had a dial padlock on and it thought you how to figure out the combo on the lock to get it open. It was in a Libaray. SomewhereInIA-64,000 stories It was a hard one to do but those rain day's it was great for.

Another one was Reading is Fundamental. You had to use the dewey decimal to find it.

And this one is archived but was quite fun. Wanderlust That one you could find stuff on the wall's to come up with a little formula to find it or there was another way to figure it out, by looking up a certian book, then going and finding it by the dewey decimal and finding a fake book next to the real one. It was a lot of fun.

I know of two library caches around here - I won't give names or links since they are both surprises.

The first is officially archived, but still findable. The clues are a bit obtuse but fun leading you to an out-of-place hollow book.

The second is the final stage to a multi that takes you on a tour of a local college campus. You collect clues from each stop and eventually figure out that you just have to ask at the collection desk and they will hand it to you.

I have done a couple of library caches.

One of them is in a very unique old building and is a puzzle cache. The log book is a bookmark in a book about a local character. The puzzle involves some research (which can be done beforehand or in the library) to determine this historical persons name.

The other is one of those "count the number of windows", "use the last number of the address", etc to produce a call number. The cache is a fake book that is catalgued such that it's sitting right next to a real book on geocaching.

I've been meaning to create a library cache myself for awhile since I work in one. The library I work at (Mann Library at Cornell University) has been undergoing reconstruction for the past 15 years or so and was recently completed. It's a pretty amazing facility and a wonderful example of a modern library. If I ever get a cache finished there it'll be called "The Evolution of Mann".

My two Library Caches:

Kiddy Litter(ature): Do some simple research to get the coords, then find the cache based on a hint in the cache description.

596 23 711 : The cache is hidden near a very specific book, which is required to decipher a message, which tells the finder what he needs to do in order to log the find (ALR). This is one of my favorite hides, since it teaches a pretty cool history lesson, with ties to actual events in Newport, RI.

Both caches were placed with enthusiastic support of the library directors.

Just make good sure that you get the library's permission

This is VERY important.

Of the dozen or so library caches I have found over the years, I think only 1 actually had permission from the library. The others were all "under the radar". This is a bad idea and will only cause problems. One of the library caches I DNFed was missing because the book the logsheet was in had been checked out! :(

So be sure to chat with the librarians and get permission before hiding that cache. :(

The majority of library caches submitted to me for review *are* placed with permission, which is a good idea for the reasons ShowStop has listed.

If you want to hide this type of cache, you will find librarians, as a rule, to be very welcoming. They tend to have inquisitive personalities and are usually helpful in designing a fun "treasure hunt" involving their library. (Side benefit: more library visitors.)

Remember to do your best to include GPS use as an integral part of your library cache hunt. The two easiest ways are to have the indoors clue lead the finder to an outdoors cache container that can be found using a GPS, or to start off with using the GPS to find a container that tells the finder where to go inside the library to find the final cache and logbook.

how would one ask approval from the librarian staff?

thanks in advance

Walk in and introduce yourself, then explain your concept.

Wrastro beat me to it.

Print off the cache note, and take that in with you. That's something you can give them, so they know what a container is for and a general idea of what caching is. Since it's a library will most likely have a computer and access to the web, you can show them the site too.

Like Wrastro said, just go in and "pitch" your idea, to the head librarian. I've found three library cache's so far, and chatted with two librarian's on two of them. They though the idea was neat, and really liked watching the people look for them, or on one you had to figure out how to find out the combo for a dial padlock to open the ammo can. I worked a long time on that one, with 3 or 4 trip's, and even asked if they minded if I brought in some bolt cutter's or a hacksaw to cut the padlock off. :D

edited cause my spelling is off tonight or my typing is.

Edited by Parabola

how would one ask approval from the librarian staff?

thanks in advance

Walk in and introduce yourself, then explain your concept.

Wrastro beat me to it.

Print off the cache note, and take that in with you. That's something you can give them, so they know what a container is for and a general idea of what caching is. Since it's a library will most likely have a computer and access to the web, you can show them the site too.

Like Wrastro said, just go in and "pitch" your idea, to the head librarian. I've found three library cache's so far, and chatted with two librarian's on two of them. They though the idea was neat, and really liked watching the people look for them, or on one you had to figure out how to find out the combo for a dial padlock to open the ammo can. I worked a long time on that one, with 3 or 4 trip's, and even asked if they minded if I brought in some bolt cutter's or a hacksaw to cut the padlock off. :D

edited cause my spelling is off tonight or my typing is.

It might help to have a container prepared when you go in, especially if it's something like a fake book. That way they could see exactly what's going to be put in their library.

Regarding the combo lock on an ammo can...

My son has something called a Word Lock which uses letters rather than numbers for the combination. I haven't used one of a cache but I like the idea of finding a word for a combination rather than numbers for a cache.

It might help to have a container prepared when you go in, especially if it's something like a fake book.

In the case of one of my caches, we were going to hollow out a book. When we were discuss the idea with the librarian, she mentioned they have these book-sized boxes they use as place holders on the shelf for books that are too big to fit and are held at the desk. This proved to be a perfect conatiner!

As for asking permission, I've started with the library director for one, and the Young Adult librarian for the other (who eventually brought me to the director). Both libraries loved the idea - "Anything that gets people into the library is a good thing" was their thinking.

We've got one here that's a puzzle-multi. You find the books named in the cache description, then in those books find the numerical answers to the clues, which gives you the coordinates. Those coordinates then lead you to the GZ, which is a couple miles from the library, at an intersection on.......wait for it...........DEWEY Ave.

Kinda funny 'aside'. One of our local FTF Hounds rushed to the library only to discover one of the books had been checked out. O Noez!! Fortunately, a librarian had the intuitiveness to call another library that had the book; they looked up the needed info & provided it over the phone. Happy ending!!

~*

I have read about library caches that have been done. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has completed/found one and/or has a link to a cache that is one. Also any ideas for one? I am planning one to be placed. It is for those rainy day caches and/or the times that cachers may need to use the internet/wi fi during their caching times.

I have been to one that is a book cache - assuming that's what you mean. It's called "Trout Pond Book Cache" and is GCX8YT. I'm thinking that would be a good idea to set up in a high tourist area where people are holidaying, finish their book and want to trade for different one.