Neptunes Compass

tsunrisebey

It was working fine at 9 am EST. Your server can't handle the traffic, plain and simple.

awww she's doing her best :laughing:

How you come to the conclusion that a piece of computer machinery and a person are one in the same, I simply don't understand.

Didn't come to that conclusion. But you don't need to kick her when she's in the middle of a stressful situation and trying to come up with a solution is all

It was working fine at 9 am EST. Your server can't handle the traffic, plain and simple.

awww she's doing her best :laughing:

How you come to the conclusion that a piece of computer machinery and a person are one in the same, I simply don't understand.

Didn't come to that conclusion. But you don't need to kick her when she's in the middle of a stressful situation and trying to come up with a solution is all

I don't think I did. Anyway, I'm done with this. It's reminding me too much of the over sensitivity a certain former coin seller suffers from.

Ok, after 2.5 hours of back and forth on the phone... I can tell you what is going on. I'm really going to try and break this down to some very basic principles so it's understandable as I had a bunch of questions myself.

First and foremost, it is NOT a hosting server problem I can assure you of that and I was assured of this. The host server is military grade and is located in Salt Lake City, UT (not here in remote Montana). When I first started looking for people to custom build my site, this was one of my top 3 questions/priorities-so there would be no crashing issues. So once again not a host server issue, these people have big clients than me they are hosting and there are no problems in this area. Now to try and give you some sort of idea of what happened; they refered to it as a "backbone" issue somewhere out in internet land To make a long, difficult story short... because my websites were "redirected" and still in the process of propagating throughout the internet and according to the admin server person in Salt Lake City, an ISP provider somewhere in the US broke (nopt related to my server/host), it caused only my site to "break" and not load. (There is alot more technical aspects to this but it's way too complicated to explain). So, having still been in that 48 hour time frame of propagating it caused the site to do some funny things (all depending on where you are located and who your ISP is and how quickly your host's servers backup information). Anyhow, some people are able to see the store again and nothing is wrong, some are seeing it and it might still have some problems, and some can't see it at all. What will happen is as your ISP provider backups it's system, you will see the new website like you were able to. It truly was a fluke that this happened because at 7:40 there were 100 people logged onto the webstore and it was working fine. Like I said before the server did not crash because no one else who is being hosted on the server, crashed.

So, while ISP's around the world backup their servers, everyone should be able to see what they once did. The tsunrisebey.com web address reverted back to the old web look but should come around again to the new look. So I'll wait until everyone is up and running and seeing the new store again so no one is left out.

When the new site is showing for you and those of you who are having issues with adding to your cart (which seems to be about 8 people), here are some more suggestions. According to my project manager, she suggested some additonal steps for you but made it clear it's not a website issue but a browser issue and they can't do anything on their end. They've tested the site for every browser out there and it works on all of them. She said if you are running Vista or IE6, IE8, AOL (which is a beta) that these browsers all really hard cache. You will have to dump all your files, cookies, history, etc. and then restart. If you can not get it to work, then you'll need to consider another browser (IE7 is what I use and it works fine, seems Firefox works well too). Other than the information I just gave you, there really isn't anything else I can help you with there, so hopefully you have a buddy who is a puter guru and can help you find a browser that will allow you to load the cart.

I am going to take a mental break for a bit here and I'll think about a new date for the sale. I am contemplating sometime during the week this time instead of the weekend. If you miss out on the sale, please keep in mind I'm reminting the designs, so it's not like you can't get one.

One last thing, thank you to those who have been supportive and recognize that I have been working hard during this transition. No one wants a smoother sale than I do and sometimes crazy things happen, it's been a huge learning experience about how all this stuff works. There is alot that goes on behind the scenes on this crazy internet that you would never know until something happens to you as I'm sure some of you tech people already know. Thanks for being patient, I swear we're almost there Growing pains....

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

I understand that these times are not going to be globally convenient but due to other circumstances, I can not hold the sale this upcoming weekend and I have a full-time job that won't allow me to sell the coins while I'm at work :). I am also seriously considering reservations for the remints of these coins, so that those who want them can order some. I am also going to LOWER the limit on the Arctic to 3 coins instead of the previous 4.

* Sale Date: April 29th (Wednesday)

* Sale Time: 5:30 pm Mountain Standard Time (Montana, USA)

Date/Time of Sale conversion:

SALE INFO:

(there will be a date and time stamp on the webstore)

Brussels: April 30th 01:30 am Thursday

Frankfurt, Germany: April 26th 01:30 am Thursday

Lisbon, Portugal: April 30th 12:30 am Thursday

Amsterdam, Netherlands: April 30th 01:30 am Thursday

Glasgow, Scotland: April 30th 12:30 am Thursday

Perth, Australia: April 30th 7:30 am Thursday

Japan: April 30th 8:30 am Thursday

Edited by tsunrisebey

I understand that these times are not going to be globally convenient but due to other circumstances, I can not hold the sale this upcoming weekend and I have a full-time job that won't allow me to sell the coins while I'm at work :). I am also seriously considering reservations for the remints of these coins, so that those who want them can order some. I am also going to LOWER the limit on the Arctic to 3 coins instead of the previous 4.

SALE INFO:

Montana: April 30th 8:00 am MST Saturday (there will be a date and time stamp on the webstore)

are the remints going to be the same color/metal, or are they going to be a new color/metal?

SALE INFO:

are the remints going to be the same color/metal, or are they going to be a new color/metal?

No, I had mentioned earlier that these metal/color combos would not be reminted for Neptune however, that does not mean I won't reuse a metal or a color, they just won't be done exactly like the ones currently being sold. I do have plans to mint more blue colors on a different metal but I have not sat down to figure out metal/color schemes. Hope that made sense.

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

I've been ready to go on the other days, but I'll be traveling that day and have to be at the airport at 5:00am. Wahhhh! I'm assuming most people will be buying the max allowed so maybe someone will have an extra they'd part with. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :unsure:

Hey, Maybe no worry for you - It says PM :D:yikes:

I've been ready to go on the other days, but I'll be traveling that day and have to be at the airport at 5:00am. Wahhhh! I'm assuming most people will be buying the max allowed so maybe someone will have an extra they'd part with. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :unsure:

Hey, Maybe no worry for you - It says PM :D:yikes:

Well, that's different! Just kidding. I'm on vaca and don't know what the internet access will be like. Funny girl!

I understand that these times are not going to be globally convenient but due to other circumstances, I can not hold the sale this upcoming weekend and I have a full-time job that won't allow me to sell the coins while I'm at work :anibad:. I am also seriously considering reservations for the remints of these coins, so that those who want them can order some. I am also going to LOWER the limit on the Arctic to 3 coins instead of the previous 4.

SALE INFO:

:anicute: sniff :anicute: I think I can forget it then... I got to get up at 6 am for work, I won't be able to stay awake so long... I hope I can trade some of them afterwards...

I know the new sale date and time may not work as well for some of you as the previous two did, but I am one of what is sure to be a number of us who the third (and hopefully successful!) go-around works out very well! I prefer to trade and am hoping I will have extra, if I am quick enough on the draw (no site problems here).

As an aside, I had a complete set of extra Dragonfly Talisman after the original sale of those and I let everyone know I had some for trade. There were more than a few unhappy coiners on that morning, as the thread will illustrate. With all of the griping, I thought for sure I would get a trade or two - not even an offer! Hopefully everyone who missed out on those did get a chance to acquire one or more, and so that's great.

Tsun, you need to be commended (again and again and again) on your prompt and thorough communication with all of us and the level of transparency with which you run your business. It really is appreciated, even when it doesn't go the way we would like it to. The fact is that whatever date and time you choose, it will always be convenient for some but not for all.

Press on!

I am so glad I will be home tomorrow night to wheel and deal online. I adjust my schedule any way I can so I can be available to purchase these coins when they go live. One time I went to Panera in my pajamas because we were vacationing in a remote location and I needed to get on the internet. Another time I left a class early so I could set up my laptop in time for the sale. Tsun makes me do weird things. :anicute:

Well it is good timing for me, if i dont goof off after work, and its payday so ill be able to buy a few hopefully there will still be some when i get to the sale. :unsure:

ANyone having luck getting to the site? I've been trying with no luck, just like Saturday. Frustrating......

Anyone who's lucky enough to get an Arctic coin and would help a sailor out in adding to his collection?

TSUN,

As long as you make the coins we'll keep waiting and trying to obtain them.

Love to add them to my small collection. I assume the issues are beyond my and your control. Just tried getting to site using Firefox and IE 7, no luck. I'll stand down and regroup when new plan for sale develops.

Don't worry I'm patiently waiting to get one (or more)!

well, as frustrating as this is for us, its got to be worse for Tsun!!

For sure. Like she wants to come home after working all day to deal with this. I wonder what line of BS the host will try to feed her this time.

These sales look like a Denial Of Service Attack to a server. Many have security mesures in place where they shut down, kind of like tripping the circut breaker in your house cause you're running too many things at once on the same circut.

As I mentioned in yesterday's maintenance notice, tonight we'll be moving the remaining network infrastructure to our new location in the datacenter. During this move, all Groundspeak servers and services will be offline.

This work has to be coordinated with datacenter network engineers and the latest I am able to schedule this work is for 6 PM Pacific Time (GMT -7). All services should be restored in under an hour.

Thanks,

:unsure: Elias

Just repeating this so no one freaks out when they can't get in here either!

Wow where to start. First and foremost, I’m very sorry that this keeps happening. No one is more upset than I am and I feel terrible that you all arrange your schedule or get up at horrible times just to buy coins all to have the site crash.

I’m starting to feel like that movie Groundhog Day. Today was not going well for me to start with and then this happened. There are times when you know yourself well enough that it is best to just take a deep breath, keep yourself calm and just keep to yourself for a bit and coming on the threads wasn’t going to be a good idea because I didn’t have anything I could tell you that you already didn’t know; the site isn’t working.

I called my Project Manager at 5:15 pm and she was just leaving and she ran back inside and got on the telephone with 3 different people scattered from Montana to Utah to figure out what the heck was going on. I can tell you she was upset too because they are very proud of the site and excited for the launch. I decided to just wait until she called me back to see what the host server people had to say about all this.

So here is what we’ve been able to gather so far. I’d like to reiterate that the server itself did not crash, my site is hosted on a P5 server which is the latest thing out. However, I am using a new cart system called Magento. It’s suppose to be the cats meow in carts and they’ve had a lot of excellent feedback. Now here’s where things get interesting or scary depending on how you look at the situation. The host server admin/tech guy thinks that the problem is inherent to the Magento cart system which is interconnected with my site. He believes that Magento can not handle the load (all the customers logged onto the cart system) and it is causing Magento to crash which in turn “breaks” my site. The second problem is the host admin can’t get back onto the site to check the errors because there are too many people “F5ing” on the site trying to load which keeps the site “crashed”. Until the majority of customers log off, they have to reboot the whole server to reboot my site and Magento. They got the site back up once but there was still so many people logged on it overloaded Magento again and cause a major error to be “thrown” which in turn crashed my site and everyone else’s site on the server. So in reality it’s all your fault  Sooooooooo, they have been waiting for people to leave the site so they can go in through the “back door” and read the errors and try to see where the flaw is with Magento. Magento cart is a huge memory hog and as far as they know hasn’t been tested on the level of so many customers being logged on at one time.

So what does this all mean? Well, we decided that I now need to be on my own dedicated server so that if there are any other issues, my site does not effect everyone else being hosted. This will also allow them to read errors specific to my site and they will immediately know how to address them. Unfortunately there is no quick fix and it’s going to be a few days before they figure out how to handle this issue. So right now things are up in the air on what the next step will be. The site will still be up in the meantime but I won’t be able to hold a sale on the site until the cart issue is resolved. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine (nor did they) expect this to happen since it hasn’t before. I actually got a laugh out of a comment the host admin said to my project manager, he asked isn’t there a way to not have so many people buying at the same time? Can’t she just sell to a few people at a time? Then she had to explain to him about this whole geocoin craze and how crazy you are all 

So let’s talk coin sales. I hate to have to do it this way but I’m going to have to do this the old fashioned way. I’ll have to invoice your orders, much like I have done when I take reservations. On order to not drive myself to an early grave, I’m going to sell the Earth Turtles in one sale and then sell the Neptunes Compass coins in a separate sale. I will post the google page link here in the thread with all the information and an email link of where to send your order. It will be first come, first served. I need to take a breather here and I’ll post the information tomorrow of when the sale will be.

Again, I’m very sorry that this has become such a pain in the hiney. I’ve been so excited about getting a new website and new cart system to make things easier fro all of us but it appears we’ve just hit some road blocks. Not the end of the world by any means and I’ll just have to wait longer until this cart issue can be fixed 

Thanks for being understanding and patient, I know it’s not easy and it’s frustrating for a number of people but it will all work out soon until then we just go to Plan B

tsun

:unsure: Sorry you had to go through this again after so much planning and testing. For what it's worth, your new web design looks great and I am sure it won't be long until all of the kinks are worked out. You do such a great job with your coins, keeping us all updated, and being equitable in how you conduct the business side of your sales. We are all fortunate that you are so thorough and want to make sure everything works correctly before going live. It will get better, hang in there. :(

tsunrisebey, look at this as a great honor. Your coins are very popular. We just love them to much. Being to popular is a great problem to have. I'm sure everyone is willing to wait patiently for the NEXT AND FINAL sale.

I do have a solution to all your technical problems. Scatter an "IOU geocoin note" in caches all around the world and attach a bill for $20 and the coordinates of where the coin is actually stashed. YOU MIGHT START A WHOLE NEW SELLING CRAZE.

Keep smiling - it can only get better.

Ok, Neptunes Compass sale will be separate from the ET Oceania. Since I will have to send invoices and do everything by hand, it's too much to keep track of. So while this isn't going to be ideal, there will be a sale unless Google crashes

I'm going to post some links here that have all the information you need. The first page is the google page about the Neptunes Compass. It has the dates/times posted and the conversions for those who live overseas. The second google link has the Order Form. You will want to be on that page when the sale goes active. This is where the email address to send your orders to will be posted. It's the fairest way I can think of so everyone has the same opportunity. Do NOT send orders to any of my tsunrisebey/tsunrisebeydesigns gmail accounts or your order will be missed. I am creating a special email for this sale.

I have done this kind of sale back with the early 2008 ET's and Rainforest Jewel. So it does work it's just more work for me and there is a waiting period for you while I respond to orders for confirmation or "sorry-sold out". So you'll have to be patient. The sale is going to be on a week night for these coins, so I will get back to everyone that night but I won't be able to invoice everyone, that may take me a couple days to work through. So again, just be patient

I will be posting shipping information some time today or tomorrow on my tsunrisebey blog. This will allow everyone to see the shipping rates, understand how shipping is going to work and estimate how much your shipping will be.

Side note: Earth Turtle Oceania will be going on sale May 4th Saturday. If you have questions, post them here or send me an email. I will be sending out newsletters some time tonight so they will just be a repeat of what you saw here.

I know that not all dates and times are going to work for everyone. I would like to ask that you please not email me and request to buy/reserve coins prior to the sale. If I do it for 1 person, I'll have to do it for everyone and it's not fair to the people who wait for the sale. I would love to honor everyone's request but it's not always possible. I encourage you to find someone to trade with or find someone who is willing to order on your behalf and let me know about it prior to the sale.

Neptunes Compass Sale Date/Time Information

Neptunes Compass Order Form

Edited by tsunrisebey