What to use to attach to metal

anakerose

Hi all,

I wanted to place a cache under the top of a fence cap (yeah I know not original, but that's all there is). I'm at a loss, what do you use to actually stick it on there? I've tried glue gun and it just breaks off. Is there some kind of epoxy I should be using? Something I could find at say Rona or Home Depot? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I took the fence cap and I wanted to put it back quickly.

JB Weld works well for bonding metals and other materials.

Home Depot has it.

I agree 100% - Great stuff

I saw one once where they attached fishline to the underside of the cap and the hooked a bison tube to the end of the line (about a foot) I pulled the cap off and never saw the line. When I put the cap back I heard the 'tink' of the tube down in the post. Very nice.

Edited by WatchDog2020

Hi all,

I wanted to place a cache under the top of a fence cap (yeah I know not original, but that's all there is). I'm at a loss, what do you use to actually stick it on there? I've tried glue gun and it just breaks off. Is there some kind of epoxy I should be using? Something I could find at say Rona or Home Depot? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I took the fence cap and I wanted to put it back quickly.

I did a fence cap cache and used some leftover epoxy resin and hardener I used to build a cedar strip kayak. I took some steel wire, balled up one end and stuck it in the middle of the fence cap (while upside down). Then I mixed up some epoxy resin and hardener and poured it into the fence cap. The stuff I use for boat building takes 24 hours to cure. Once it was cured I had a piece of wire that I could hook through a container that would hang inside the fence post. Western Systems is one manufacture of epoxy resin that I have used but if you're anywhere near a marina you can find long cure epoxy resin/hardener in most store that sell boat supplies (it comes in handy for repairing holes in fiberglass hulls where you pour your money in as a boat owner.

Hi all,

Yup Agreed, JB weld is great. Also a quick solution is two magnets, one in the container and the other inside the fence post cap. Got one built exactly like that. The magnets were left over from a had drive so are more than powerful enough to keep it all in place.

Still, I will probably cement it all together soon, just to make sure. Be aware - biggest downside to these caches is weather! A cold snap can freeze that cap onto the fence post tighter than old Unca Scrooge's fist. :( You may want to include in description that the cache may require a tool of the trade. Have fun with it!

Hi all,

I have used a bison tube attached to a metal cable (very small) and then used a nut/bolt to attach it to the fence cap.

Other's I've seen using the cap eventually fell off since some aren't too gentle when it comes to removing the container or trying to open it - and especially if the container is a "child-proof" container; that tends to stump a few and end up ripping the whole thing off...

Edited by wkmccall

Rather than tampering with the cap, and violating the guidelines, why don't you add a magnet to the side of the cache, so it "sticks" to the actual post (which is steel)?

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Edited by Kit Fox

Rather than tampering with the cap, and violating the guidelines, why don't you add a magnet to the side of the cache, so it "sticks" to the actual post (which is steel)?

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Ask the owner of the fence cap what substance would be acceptable to them.

I actually have permission. I meant that I wanted to get this cache done quickly

:(

I actually have permission. I meant that I wanted to get this cache done quickly

The original poster said he has permission but, i'm willing to wager that most fence cap caches are hidden without permission or knowledge of the fence owner . My solution fits within Groundspeak guidelines.

:)

Edited by Kit Fox

aubigdog:

"I found a cache recently in a fence post cap that was done with velcro. I do not know what they used to attach the velcro to the cap, ..."

Prolly the sticky adhesive side of the velcro strip?

But seriously, in my experience those can't be completely 'trusted'.

Kitfox: ...

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that deface public or private property, ... "

You don't hide fence cap caches on deface......you hide 'em on de innards!

I'm serial!!

To OP....

My own rule of thumb:

For 'quickie' or not, first try SuperGlue GEL (for its gap-filling properties). If that fails (which, per the magical properties of SuperGlue, won't take long to test), then go to the 'mix' types.

That said, the absolute greatest 'glue' I've ever, repeat EVAR used is called 'Pliobond' - the Industrial Strength Adhesive type. IF you can find it (Google is your friend), every man, woman & child with the gumption & perceptual skills to appreciate fine adhesives, OWES himself at least one 2-oz bottle of this stuff!

& As grampaw used to say, "Don't git any on yer coverhauls!" :(

~*

Kitfox: ...

"Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

Caches that deface public or private property, ... "

You don't hide fence cap caches on deface......you hide 'em on de innards!

I'm serial!!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3296060

That may not fly.....

My approver disallowed a fence post cap micro because I had used Liquid Nails to attach the micro inside the cap. Mind you, when the cap was in place, you could not see the micro or the Liquid Nails. I needed to remove the Liquid Nails with mineral spirits and attach the thing with a rare earth magnet in order to get approval. I can imagine how many 25mm cans will be stacked up inside the post by this time next year! Your mileage may vary.

That may not fly.....

My approver disallowed a fence post cap micro because I had used Liquid Nails to attach the micro inside the cap. Mind you, when the cap was in place, you could not see the micro or the Liquid Nails. I needed to remove the Liquid Nails with mineral spirits and attach the thing with a rare earth magnet in order to get approval. I can imagine how many 25mm cans will be stacked up inside the post by this time next year! Your mileage may vary.

That, to me, is just plain stoopid. That "approver" needs to learn the definition of 'deface':

de·face

TRANSITIVE VERB:

de·faced , de·fac·ing , de·fac·es

1- To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.

2- To impair the usefulness, value, or influence of.

Besides, who or why would anyone tell their 'approver' how they constructed such a cache, anyhow?!?

Personally, I don't believe a word of it (that post).

But I do wanta get hold me some o' them 25mm cans!

~*

That may not fly.....

That, to me, is just plain stoopid. That "approver" needs to learn the definition of 'deface':

de·face

TRANSITIVE VERB:

de·faced , de·fac·ing , de·fac·es

1- To mar or spoil the appearance or surface of; disfigure.

2- To impair the usefulness, value, or influence of.

Besides, who or why would anyone tell their 'approver' how they constructed such a cache, anyhow?!?

Personally, I don't believe a word of it (that post).

But I do wanta get hold me some o' them 25mm cans!

~*

Similar debates regarding the use of permanent markers inside of gutters, sewer pipes, and tunnels revealed opinions similar to yours. I guess defacing an item is ok, if it isn't always visible? :)

I can imagine how many 25mm cans will be stacked up inside the post by this time next year!

At least that will keep some of them from being plopped into Burger King shrubbery. :(:lol:

The 25mm comment wasn't mine, it belongs to the cacher who had his cache denied.

That said, the absolute greatest 'glue' I've ever, repeat EVAR used is called 'Pliobond' - the Industrial Strength Adhesive type.

Kewl! Ace Hardware claims to have it in half pint containers for less than $8. Gotta get me some!

pACE2-1145396dt.jpg

Yo Riffstah! Yeah, dat's da stuff. It's a melluvahess to work with, but work, it does!

Tip....it's gonna 'spiderweb' when you pull the cap-brush out, like the worst hot-pizza-cheese TV commercial you ever saw, & then some. Don't fight it....work with it.....just 'wind' the webbys up on the brush shaft, with a motion like you'd do with your finger beside your head when giving the time-honored international 'he's crazy' signal. Once the strands snap, go to work!

Seriously - I think the retained flexibility of the adhesive after it cures is the secret to its effectiveness.

~*