Colorado/Oregon questions

Boundertom

I am possibly in the market for a new GPS. I have a 60CS that is great, but am having issues with my current PDA setup (that's another topic ;-)), so I am thinking of a Colorado or Oregon 400t. I have read that caches do not appear on the map on these. You must select a cache, and then only that ONE shows. Is that correct? Is there a way around that? If that is the case it would be a deal-breaker for me. Our standard caching mode is to be on an ATV or motorcycle ride and just watch for nearby caches on the map.

I have read some about the hard to read screen (in bright light) on the Oregon. Have there been any improvements to later built models? Is it really that bad? I would go with the Colorado, but they seem to be plagued with leakage and accuracy problems, or have those been corrected at this point?

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

I am possibly in the market for a new GPS. I have a 60CS that is great, but am having issues with my current PDA setup (that's another topic ;-)), so I am thinking of a Colorado or Oregon 400t. I have read that caches do not appear on the map on these. You must select a cache, and then only that ONE shows. Is that correct? Is there a way around that? If that is the case it would be a deal-breaker for me. Our standard caching mode is to be on an ATV or motorcycle ride and just watch for nearby caches on the map.

I have read some about the hard to read screen (in bright light) on the Oregon. Have there been any improvements to later built models? Is it really that bad? I would go with the Colorado, but they seem to be plagued with leakage and accuracy problems, or have those been corrected at this point?

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

All caches show up on the map. Cache names do not, you have to select the cache to see the name.

OR screen brightness on battery power isn't great, you'll notice a difference coming from the the 60CS. On external power the backlight is very strong. No differences in the newer models. Some tips on how to make it easier to read here (in addition to turning off shading and land cover which was mentioned above).

http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=146

Thanks for the help everyone! It is good to know that all caches do show. Not having the names show is no problem, in fact, it is probably good to eliminate the clutter. I always use the 12 volt cord when riding, so it sounds like the backlighting issue might not be a big problem either.

Thanks again!

Tom