paperless caching

North Fork Seeker

Vista HCX won't do true papersless but you can use a PDA for the cache info or there is a good macro for GSAK that wil do it with the ipod.

The Oregon or Colorado will do true paperless but more expensive. I think most pepolw would reccomend the Oregon over the Colorado as it is less buggy. I have only just got my Oregon but am likeing the touch screen and paperless as well as the easier to use graphical interface.

Appoligies for the quick and snappy reply but just going out for a rumage in some bushes.

thanks in advance for any advice. would like to be able to download the coordinates right to my GPS for several caches.

One idea would be to add another tool to your arsenal. A used Dell Axim Pocket PC can be had off ebay for around $50. This, combined with Cachemate, lets you carry all the listing details with you right to the cache location. Sometimes it's good to be able to re-read the listing after a half mile hike, to to recall what you forgot.

GSAK will load your coords into your GPS, and also into the Axim.

I am looking for a Gps that is good for paperless caching. was wondering what everyone would recommend. looking at something like a Vista hcx. thanks in advance for any advice. would like to be able to download the coordinates right to my GPS for several caches.

I have been using the Colorado 400t for about 6 months. I upgraded from an etrex. The colorado is designed for paperless caching. If you are a premium GC member, you can download 200 individual caches with hints and logs. You can also create pocket queries and group 500 caches in a single file. It was pricy, but how many hobbies are cheap? Once I figured out that I had to manually calibrate the compass once in a while, I have not regretted the purchase.

Edited by y2kcompliant

PN-40 by DeLorme will do paperless and is also good for auto-routing as well as has an array of wonderful maps (aerial, sat imagery, NOAA charts etc) which can be subscribed to for $30/year. The unit comes complete with mapping software so routing is in the box, the extra maps are bonus and really worth the subscription (really makes the PN-40 a GREAT unit for caching, boating, hiking, camping etc etc).

Nice and cheap at $320!! Worth the deal at twice the price!

I second the Oregon. The touchscreen is great, the interface is very easy to figure out and use even without instructions, and the paperless caching is the best out there. I've really enjoyed mine. I also like that it's on the smaller side... no big antenna knobs poking out, and it fits in any fanny pack, pocket or purse which means I can take it anywhere, and go caching on the fly if I have 10 minutes to spare. One reason I've also liked having a Garmin is that there is a lot of third-party stuff out there made for them... car/bike brackets, software programs, free topo maps, stuff like that.

I find caches with my Oregon much quicker than with my old units, plus the field notes makes my online logging so much faster. It has been well worth the cost in the time it's saved me, because now I can do more caching!

My two cents,

BlueDamsel

The PN-40 just got even better with the addition of direct downloads from cache pages! The paperless feature is also improved, I am really loving the improvements and my PN-40!!

Field notes are now available for the PN-40, logging caches right from the cache location is now possible (I can see myself doing this on some of the hiking finds, and making notes so i can remember which cache is which on those cache runs).

Mapping software right in the box, routing right in the box and now direct downloads...WHAT A DEAL!! And at this price, WOW!!! One SERIOUS TOOL!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy