Severn Bore Earth cache.

Bad news - he's just told everyone about the 5* bore on Tuesday.

Drat and double drat! Ah well.... it's a long river, plenty of room!

Loads of room - the average visitor wont stagger more than 100ft from the roads, so head down a footpath for few hundred metres and you'll have an uninterupted view of the whole thing B)

Does mean parking will be a b*gger, but then we already guessed that.

Where you watching from Stuey? We'll probably be Epney way I think - if anyone else is in the area we'll look out for you.

Where you watching from Stuey? We'll probably be Epney way I think - if anyone else is in the area we'll look out for you.

Quite a few of us are meeting up at the Earthcache co-ords near Epney Elmore and Stonebench (sorry, had to edit). I expect we'll walk northwards up the footpath along the riverside until we have a good view. We're aiming to be there at 7:30am, so should have time for a brew and a chat. I hope to park somewhere in Quedgeley or anywhere between the river and there, however close we can get. See you there!

Edited by Stuey

Quite a few of us are meeting up at the Earthcache co-ords near Epney.

Stuey, My Earthcache co-ordinates are near Stonebench not Epney. There is plenty of space to watch the Bore but you'll have to park a little way off and walk in unless you're really early.

I'm hoping to be there myself, this one sounds really special.

Quite a few of us are meeting up at the Earthcache co-ords near Epney.

Stuey, My Earthcache co-ordinates are near Stonebench not Epney. There is plenty of space to watch the Bore but you'll have to park a little way off and walk in unless you're really early.

I'm hoping to be there myself, this one sounds really special.

Ah yes, my mistake. I meant Elmore, not Epney, sorry!

Latest plans - get to Severn Bore Inn as early as possible to see the river splash there and then wing it from there, to be honest.

I was happy to just see it there but other passengers have expressed an interest to head up to Overbridge or Maisemore and attempt to see it there, so I may not have a chance to bump into many other Geocachers after the first wave.

Maisemore - one of (or possibly) the only places in the world where you can see a bore wave run downstream... it echoes off the weir just upstream.

If you want to seek me out before/immediately after, I will be wearing a black fleece with the South Wales Geocachers logo on it (the Geocaching G logo stenciling the Welsh flag) - just underneath the logo will be a penguin pin looking remarkably similar to the avatar to the left of this text :anibad:

Tomorrow, the priority will be the bore - but if I bump into new / old faces that would be fantastic too!

Well it seems there will be an attempt on Flotsam and Jetsam on the 20th of March, and the Severn Bore seems very favourable on the Monday morning after..

As I will attempt to do both, I decided to try host an event on the Sunday night for anyone wanting to attend/stay over/do both/liking beer or cake or pie!

I'll update closer to the time with details on a venue etc :)

Is a 3* bore worth a 250 mile round trip or should I save this one for another year?

It's always worth watching - but then it's on our doorstep so we're a little spoiled ;)

But to be honest I wouldn't bother for a 3* - if the trip's that far wait for a 4* and you shouldn't be disappointed....:)

The bore is so hard to predict - sometimes the 3* is really quite impressive but the wind and other factors can impact the bore so size can't always be predicted perfectly.

Personally if you're coming so far I'd aim for a 4* as it gives you the best opportunity for seeing something decent. That probably means waiting until next spring now though unfortunately

Note from The Wombles on the cache page;

Predictions for the Bore have been low most of this year but there are some 3* and 4* bores coming up on Tues 30/8, Weds 31/8, Tues 27/9, Weds 28/9 and Thurs 29/9.

Thank you! Have seen lots of bores, but not done the earthcache yet. Will look the times up...at least the last one doesnt clash with anything we're doing.