Severn Bore Earth cache.

There's a good opportunity to log the Severn bore earth cache on the mornings of Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th February 2009.

See Bore timetable for more details.

It's well worth a visit if you've not seen it yet -

:)

MrsB

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hanging on for a 4* (and have been for many years now).

I'll try and remember to bump this in mid-August :D

MrsB

I saw the title for this topic and thought there was something wrong with my cache!

Sadly there are no 4* bores due on the Severn this year but tomorrow's 3* bore will be enhanced by the wind direction (Westerly). This does make it better than forecast (and will also mean that it's early). Strong South-Westerly winds are best.

The picture on the cache page is a 3* bore and was plenty big enough to get some people very wet.

Thanks Mrs B.

Edited to say that the current high water levels will also increase the size of tomorrow's Bore.

Edited by The Wombles

Thanks Mrs B :)

A VERY early start I think.

If it's at Newnham at 8.07 what time do we need to be there as it's likely to be early because of the wind? Now I know you cannot predict the future :( but if we get there at 7.30am will that be early enough?? Any ideas please? As that will mean leaving here 6ish!!!!

I've wanted to see this for a while - must be mad!!!!

Any other mad cachers going to be there????

If it's at Newnham at 8.07 what time do we need to be there as it's likely to be early because of the wind? Now I know you cannot predict the future :( but if we get there at 7.30am will that be early enough?? Any ideas please? As that will mean leaving here 6ish!!!!

Check out the cache page where the logs include details of how early / late the bore has been. Based on those logs, 7.30am SHOULD be OK.

However, parking and access to the best viewing points could be more of a problem. The roads in the area could be flooded in this weather. Also, there are warnings that the bore itself can cause the roads / parked cars to flood although no cachers have reported this on the cache page so far.

Thanks Mrs B :)

Leave plenty of time to find somewhere to park your car. It can get very busy.

Thanks Mrs B :(

I think you should definitely leave home about 5.00am, just to be on the safe side :):lol:

Take cold bacon butties with you, lovingly prepared the night before.

Or, there was a café called the Silver Fox at Newnham which used to make sure to be open when it was a 'good bore day' - not sure if it's still there, though... Better go for the cold bacon butty option to be on the safe side.

Bore da!

MrsB ;)

Or, there was a café called the Silver Fox at Newnham which used to make sure to be open when it was a 'good bore day' - not sure if it's still there, though... Better go for the cold bacon butty option to be on the safe side.

I'm fairly sure I noticed at the wekeend that the Silver Fox cafe is closed.

Simon

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hanging on for a 4* (and have been for many years now).

Sadly there are no 4* bores due on the Severn this year but tomorrow's 3* bore will be enhanced by the wind direction (Westerly). This does make it better than forecast (and will also mean that it's early). Strong South-Westerly winds are best.

Now I know nothing about the Severn Bore so I am just going by what I read in the paper, and I know that this info has came too late for Stuey.

According to yesterdays Metro there was a 4* bore predicted for late evening yesterday!

There's a good opportunity to log the Severn bore earth cache on the mornings of Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th February 2009.

MrsB

Time for a bump! On March 2nd, they are expecting a 5* bore! I'm heading up that way for the day, and might be able to see the Bore in the morning and evening. Should be fun!

2010 timetable

Edited by Stuey

MrsB

Time for a bump! On March 2nd, they are expecting a 5* bore! I'm heading up that way for the day, and might be able to see the Bore in the morning and evening. Should be fun!

2010 timetable

Take your surfboard. :P

MrsB

You can also see it in the dark.... 8pm ish. If we all have enough torches?!

Need to pick your spot very carefully if you decide to watch in the dark. It's very poorly lit on most sections so you can't see very much. But rhere's no doubt that the sound it makes rushing towards you in the dark is fantastically spooky!

I and a couple of others from my neck of the woods are planning to go to see the 5* on the 2nd March.

While we've left it too late to organise an event (you need at least 2 weeks advance notice), would anyone planning to go on that day like to meet up for lunch somewhere locally?

I have no idea where or what's available in the area and also plan to do some other caching in the afternoon, including finally looking for Cipher Cache 8 - always just that little bit too far away, despite having solved it last April.

I and a couple of others from my neck of the woods are planning to go to see the 5* on the 2nd March.

While we've left it too late to organise an event (you need at least 2 weeks advance notice), would anyone planning to go on that day like to meet up for lunch somewhere locally?

I have no idea where or what's available in the area and also plan to do some other caching in the afternoon, including finally looking for Cipher Cache 8 - always just that little bit too far away, despite having solved it last April.

You could try the The Dog at Over. We are in the area at the moment and ate there last evening while watching the snow build up! It's your standard carvery but it was very good and they also serve real ale :rolleyes: .

The Anchor at Longney's very good - had dinner there when we first saw the bore.

Unfortunately, after getting up at the crack of dawn to get a space and then watch the bore for 5 minutes we've both got to get into work, so probably won't make lunch this time around.... [:(]

Think you'll find that was Epney...... :P

Great pub for watching the bore though as the beer garden overlooks a big sweep in the river.

Edited to add that I'm up for meeting up as I've now taken a day off work to see the bore. Depends what side of the river you're planning on meeting though!

Edited by *mouse*

Two locations have been suggested and can easily be traversed between observations due to the speed of the bore.

1. Newnham. This is the first location the bore wave can be easily observed from shore (though it starts several miles further out to see. I'm told that parking will be relatively straight forward here, but personally wouldn't take it for granted as this is the first 5* for many years. predicted time is 8:02, but as the bore can arrive anything up to half an hour early (to an hour late) I say a planned arrival time should be no later than 7:30am. Here, we'll see scores of surfers attemting to join and surf the bore. Apparently you hear it coming before you see it.

2. Severn Bore Inn. The bore arrives here roughly 55 minutes after Newnham and if the car park at the inn is full, street parking shouldn't be too difficult. THe river is significantly narrower and the wave is probably at its highest - immagine 10 miles width of tide arriving in a strip of river roughly 60m in width - if the prevailing weather is favourable, the bore could top 2m in height here. This is also a favorite spot for surfers to join the wave, some of whom will have travelled from Newnham.

We may attempt a third location - I haven't received advice on a third location yet, but its perfectly possible.

On the day, I propose keeping in touch with others PMR hand held radio (the type you can buy in most good electronic shops) - Channel 3, privacy code 33. If you have one of these bring it along.

Looks like I'll be the other side of the river to the rest of you.

We're planning on making a second stop somewhere close to Stonebench after Epney, so if I have time I may well walk down the footpath and wave at you all across the river! Will take the radio to keep in touch - please can I have advance warning when it's on the way?!

We're planning on making a second stop somewhere close to Stonebench after Epney, so if I have time I may well walk down the footpath and wave at you all across the river! Will take the radio to keep in touch - please can I have advance warning when it's on the way?!

We've not made any specific plans yet, but will try to see it twice during the day I think, and probably hang around until the evening to watch/hear it again. Is parking going to be a nightmare?

We've not made any specific plans yet, but will try to see it twice during the day I think, and probably hang around until the evening to watch/hear it again. Is parking going to be a nightmare?

The last one we saw was a 3* - and yes, parking was a nightmare then.

Bearing in mind that this is the first 5* for a while - and the only one this year - we'll be getting there a couple of hours early at least to try and get a spot within a couple of miles of the river...

The last one we saw was a 3* - and yes, parking was a nightmare then.

Bearing in mind that this is the first 5* for a while - and the only one this year - we'll be getting there a couple of hours early at least to try and get a spot within a couple of miles of the river...

Blimey, early start for me then! It'll take me a couple of hours to get there!

A suggested third location after Severn Bore Inn is Maisemore where the bore can be seen going under the bridge there. As it hits a weir, it can also rebound and start travelling back down the river again - this is probably the highest point in the river where it can be practically observed on large bores, such as the one expected on Tuesday.

Probably worth mentioning here that if you're not on a push bike or a surfboard, you may experience some difficulty in getting to any secondary site in time to beat the bore..... :blink::D

Probably worth mentioning here that if you're not on a push bike or a surfboard, you may experience some difficulty in getting to any secondary site in time to beat the bore..... :blink::D

True - traffic may be heavy on the day, but I've spoken to several people who say that they've had no problems with at least seeing it twice and one person who plans to surf at Newnham and Severn Bore Inn on the day. That said, I suspect there'll be a lot more attempting this on Tuesday tha have for a fair while and if there's any doubt, I'd rather be at Severn Bore Inn than Newnham...

I hope it doesn't rain as my camera doesn't like rain... and I hope even more it doesn't snow... B)

For those thinking of joining me by attempting watching it at 3 points along the river, here are the three locations and estimate timing (coordinates are estimates taken from Memory Map):

Location 1: Newnham

51°48.331'N, 2°26.778'W

Parking: Street/car park

Estimated bore arrival time: 0802

Start the stopwatch!

Location 2: Severn Bore Inn or there abouts

51°50.172'N, 2°21.475'W

Parking: Roadside/car park

Estimated bore arrival time: 0855

Stopwatch: 0:53

Location 3: Maisemore

51°53.321'N, 2°16.056'W

Parking: Roadside

Estimated bore arrival time: 09:42

Stopwatch: 1:40

For anyone interested in joining me (and probably local to Swansea) I'm going to attempt to photograph the rare Loughor Bore on either the Monday or Wednesday morning. Should the prevailing weather be good, the tides look favourable to cause this - and yes, it does exist - its just not observed very often. Bear in mind this is a mere ripple in comparison to the Severn Bore, but I have come very close to photographing it in September 2007: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/568603 taken from roughly 51°42.528'N, 4°03.002'W

The only place you can realistically expect to see it is on the opposite bank to where St. Illtyd's Missing Treasure cache used to be - or the bonus for Bont Trinity, if you've completed that - its very easy to get to - only a 5-10 minute walk from the car but needs wellies.

Probably worth mentioning here that if you're not on a push bike or a surfboard, you may experience some difficulty in getting to any secondary site in time to beat the bore..... <_<;)

True - traffic may be heavy on the day, but I've spoken to several people who say that they've had no problems with at least seeing it twice and one person who plans to surf at Newnham and Severn Bore Inn on the day. That said, I suspect there'll be a lot more attempting this on Tuesday tha have for a fair while and if there's any doubt, I'd rather be at Severn Bore Inn than Newnham...

I don't think traffic's going to be your problem - but unless you've got somebody who doesn't want to see the bore and is prepared to taxi you around, parking is going to be nigh on impossible at that time in those places.

I'm liking the look of Epney and Elmore/Stonebench, partly for accessibility from the M5, and it's also a little bit later than Newnham, so getting up at stupid o'clock won't quite be as early.

I also fancy popping over to Herefordshiee for the LQ:Hereford cache, and might head back to the Severn to hear the Bore in the evening.

I'm liking the look of Epney and Elmore/Stonebench, partly for accessibility from the M5, and it's also a little bit later than Newnham, so getting up at stupid o'clock won't quite be as early.

Have watched the bore from both and they are both good spots. Stonebench will be very hard to park at as there are only a couple of pull ins and the lane is fairly narrow. Epney is easier as there is a big layby right by the river and also parking at the pub - the beer garden overlooks the river and gives a good vantage point. But it still gets very busy with cars - the last 4* we saw there the cars were parked up all along the road about 1/2 mile in each direction. I'd expect it to be even busier for a 5*.

Not sure exactly where we'll watch it from yet, but we do plan on getting there on bikes - that way there's no parking issues and also it means we could still watch it at more than one spot if we want. It's only 4 miles between Epney and Stonebench so you can easily get from one to the other on a bike if you want to watch it twice.

I don't think traffic's going to be your problem - but unless you've got somebody who doesn't want to see the bore and is prepared to taxi you around, parking is going to be nigh on impossible at that time in those places.

Interesting - I was told by someone who surfs it several times a year that parking is basically, place the car on the side of the road within half a mile of where you want to watch - and walk to your desired location. He's done the 2 location trick many times - and surfed them too which means he had enough time to get the board on and off the car and wade out into the water.

I'm not too worried about the third as parking there is obviously going to be limited - but really want to see it around Severn Bore Inn as that's where the wave is its highest.