Lock&Lock containers

carlz0r

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these as Cache containers before, and could let me know what sort of success they've had.

http://www.locknlock.com.au/lock/product/s...t_category_id=2

My local Target sells these, and they're not expensive (usually no more than $5 for even the rather large ones)

What made them look so nice to me is that they

-Come in many sizes

-Have snapping clamps on all 4 sides

-Have rubber lining around the inside rim of the container

They claim on the labeling that they're air-tight and water-tight. They could probably be covered in camo tape to make them harder to spot, and there's a clear window on top, where you could make a simple label with the name of the cache, and tape it to the inside of the lid, if you don't have any fancy "official gamepiece" stickers to slap on it.

Once again, I'm not trying to advertise these containers or anything, I was just wondering if anyone's ever tried using them before for their Caches.

-The Carlz0r

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these as Cache containers before, and could let me know what sort of success they've had.

My local Target sells these, and they're not expensive (usually no more than $5 for even the rather large ones)

-Come in many sizes

They claim on the labeling that they're air-tight and water-tight. They could probably be covered in camo tape to make them harder to spot, and there's a clear window on top, where you could make a simple label with the name of the cache, and tape it to the inside of the lid, if you don't have any fancy "official gamepiece" stickers to slap on it.

Once again, I'm not trying to advertise these containers or anything, I was just wondering if anyone's ever tried using them before for their Caches.

-The Carlz0r

Yes. They're quite popular cache containers.

Yep, right behind ammo cans for a good trading cache. Subject to seal failure if cachers allow dirt, or the edge of a baggie to catch in the lid. If you're going to bag your log, use a baggie that's the right size.

On the plus side, there's enough room in the holes in the lid for a bit of nylon twine, so a lock and lock can be tethered. Smaller sizes will hang like a decon. I prefer them over decons, as people seem to understand how to close them.

I just pulled one yesterday that was soaked, evidently from a small amount of dirt on the blue seal. Nothing is perfect, but lock and locks are darned good containers.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I've finally given up on decon kits. I think they are great, in the right environment, if people close them properly.

I just replaced my last one with a Lock & Lock. The last finder mentioned the log was soggy, and it was.

Ironically, the person who found the soggy log only snapped the front two corners, adding to the problem.

Go figure... :D:)

Ironically, the person who found the soggy log only snapped the front two corners, adding to the problem.

DUDE!!! one of my "favorite" finds was of a decon in the swamp (an M&M "Moist" hide). The previous finder wrote a longish log about the wet container and his efforts to dry it, replace the log, replenish the swag. Nice log, nice effort - except, of course, he only snapped down the front two corners.......... :)

I left it empty except for a signed paper scrap, dry, and properly closed.

Cool, thanks for everyone's responses. I was excited to find these, and I'm glad to hear they work rather well..

I understand the risk of dirt, and such. So when I hide one of these, the log will be bagged in a nice, strong zip-top bag.

I'm thinking about painting or camo-taping it for outdoor camo.

It'll most likely be my first hide, so I'm going to do it right.. I already have the spot picked out, I just need to wait for my new GPSr to arrive (hopefully this week) so I can get accurate coordinates. I also need to wait to get a little money for a few small SWAG items to put inside, as well as a tiny notebook for logging. I already have the geocachenote.doc printed, and folded up inside.

They make excellent containers. You can get Krylon plastic adhering camo paint (spray can) at Wal-Mart or other retailers, and it sticks really well. I've had one out in the weather for two years, still looks good, still dry inside.

I don't use ziplocs inside my Lock-n-Lock caches. It's too easy for a ziploc corner to get caught in the gasket, causing a leak. I've never had a problem with wet logbooks in my many L&L hides.

BTW, the best plastic containers are only the original style Lock-n-Lock brand containers. There are many similar containers from other companies, clones, and they leak.

More worrying, watch out for some new-style Lock-n-Lock brand containers that seem to be low-cost imitations of the L&L clones. The good ones, the originals, have plastic teeth that go through rectangular holes in the hinged clasps.

I've finally given up on decon kits. I think they are great, in the right environment, if people close them properly.

I just replaced my last one with a Lock & Lock. The last finder mentioned the log was soggy, and it was.

Go figure... :D:)

I put a large white sticker on the inside lid of the decon kit box lids I've used, that say SNAP DOWN ALL FOUR CORNERS. You can't close it without noticing the sticker. So far, no reports of soggy logs.

I came across some interesting containers the other day at Bed Bath and Beyond. They're called "Oxo Good Grips" food storage containers.

Instead of snaps around the edges they have a button in the middle of the lid that expands a rubber seal to hold the lid onto the container. They're a bit more expensive than a lock-n-lock but the plastic seems to be more ridged and it looks like they seal really well.

www.oxo.com browse to food storage.

More rigid isn't necessarily a good thing. One of the things that makes Lock-N-Locks a good choice is that they give a bit, Some of the more rigid plastics will break instead of flexing.

As for things caught in the seal making them leak it is true. Even the mighty ammo can will leak if something is left in the seal. Then again the ammo can wont break if you stand on it.

I came across some interesting containers the other day at Bed Bath and Beyond. They're called "Oxo Good Grips" food storage containers.

Instead of snaps around the edges they have a button in the middle of the lid that expands a rubber seal to hold the lid onto the container. They're a bit more expensive than a lock-n-lock but the plastic seems to be more ridged and it looks like they seal really well.

www.oxo.com browse to food storage.

I've had one of those for years. Works great for keeping flour, etc. dry, in your pantry or kitchen. I wouldn't put one outdoors though.

Thanks for all the responses, people.

I'm figuring I'll stick some masking tape around the edges where they clamp and seal (so as not to mess up the clamps), and spraypaint the whole thing.

one more question, how do you all feel about textured spraypaint? It's a bit expensive, but I found some that'll make it look and feel like a sandy rock... That, plus a little forest green and brown, could make it look like a mossy rock.

Is there anything wrong with textured spraypaints? Remember I do plan on covering the clamps and seals with tape while painting, so making it difficult to open/close is not much of an issue.

Go figure... :):(

I also have found some of my decon caches that have not been properly sealed and closed...never dreamt it would be a problem...I saw this video on Youtube before I even started using them to hide caches and wondered if it was that big of a problem....apparently it is...so I enclose the link to this video on caches that are in decon containers

Is there anything wrong with textured spraypaints?

There is no wrong way to camo a container. Have fun with it! :( The more effort you expend, the more your cache seekers will appreciate it.

Here's an example of cloth tape vs. vinyl.

The cloth tape is dull: (note: I neglected to cover the green Fusion paint with flat camo paint)

97e8320b-bca8-4c0e-a39f-54b261eb83a4.jpg

The vinyl is shiny: (might as well use day glow orange paint)

75f30061-bf56-4846-a54d-89daee3c5551.jpg

My current method involves roughing up the Lock & Lock with a medium grit sanding block, spray painting it with Krylon Fusion for plastic, then painting over that with flat camo colors. For the top, I apply Liquid Nails black roof repair caulk, then mash ground moss into it. Wiggle it down into the leaf litter and it all but disappears:

a5dfe58a-2158-489b-af62-b0a7c85c4d0e.jpg

Another method I tried, that seems to be working so far is buying camo burlap and cutting it into 1x3" strips. I affix the strips in layers, kinda like you'd put shingles on a roof. I leave the lower 2" hanging free, and pull a few of the horizontal threads, which helps break up the outline.

Looks like this:

244d37eb-6355-4e10-8ec7-f5c2b75fe394.jpg

Good luck!

-Sean

Edited by Clan Riffster

Thanks, Sean. Being inventive is not a problem I think I'll have anytime soon. I have lots of fun even just thinking of ideas for camo-ing caches. I was just worried about technical aspects. Such as if anyone had noticed that the textured paint might chip more, or not stick, or something. But thanks! Soon, when I have a little money put aside, I'll make my first cache as awesome as I possibly can.

I'm thinking about painting or camo-taping it for outdoor camo.

I camo tape my LnL caches but after a series of wet logs with a cheaper imitation brand I keep the camo tape off the locking tabs so that they can securely close and keep the contents dry

To echo another post above, stick with genuine LnL for best results

ATB

Mac

Would those be "Farberware", available mainly at Dollar General stores? They look exactly like official lock-n-lock's, although the snapping mechanism is a very slightly different design (patent implications I'm sure). I just placed one yesterday (all camo taped), and replaced an older existing cache with one about 2 months ago. We shall see how they work out.

I don't use ziplocs inside my Lock-n-Lock caches. It's too easy for a ziploc corner to get caught in the gasket, causing a leak. I've never had a problem with wet logbooks in my many L&L hides.

BTW, the best plastic containers are only the original style Lock-n-Lock brand containers. There are many similar containers from other companies, clones, and they leak.

More worrying, watch out for some new-style Lock-n-Lock brand containers that seem to be low-cost imitations of the L&L clones. The good ones, the originals, have plastic teeth that go through rectangular holes in the hinged clasps.

Oh, didn't see your post before replying to the other one. Actually, I'm an international cacher (live near the Canadian border :)) and I've seen tons of various LNL clones in Canada, but all I've really seen in America is this "Farberware", which is actually made by a well-known and reputable company. At least I think they are. :(

Oh, didn't see your post before replying to the other one. Actually, I'm an international cacher (live near the Canadian border :blink:) and I've seen tons of various LNL clones in Canada, but all I've really seen in America is this "Farberware", which is actually made by a well-known and reputable company. At least I think they are. :D

I've seen some knock off containers where the locking mechanism essentially hooks under a ridge that circles the rim of the container. They don't work nearly as well as the standard Lock n Lock.

I've seen some knock off containers where the locking mechanism essentially hooks under a ridge that circles the rim of the container. They don't work nearly as well as the standard Lock n Lock.

Yeah, several of you have been mentioning cheap knock-offs. My wal-mart has the real deal where they have teeth that go through the clamps, and snap very firmly in to place.

I'm going to go buy out their stock of the sizes that I may want to use in the future, and hope that they order more in.

Yeah, several of you have been mentioning cheap knock-offs. My wal-mart has the real deal where they have teeth that go through the clamps, and snap very firmly in to place.

I'm going to go buy out their stock of the sizes that I may want to use in the future, and hope that they order more in.

OK, regarding Farberware knock-offs. Farberware is a reputable company, that's been around for 100 years, known mainly for their pots and pans. They seem to have been producing lock-n-lock clones since sometime last year. They're not even listed on their website yet. I can't find the thread, but some guy was all excited about finding them at his local Dollar General a few months ago, and posted a bunch of pics. Well, this one will have to do then:

farber.jpg

I just placed one last weekend, and will probably place a few more in the next month or two. I guess I'll get back to y'all. I think their going to turn out to be just as good, not unlike a Glad sandwich bag is as good as a Ziplock. They are, aren't they? :)

I like L & L's as long as people don't put liquids that can leak (such as bubble solution) in them. My complaint is that the latching tabs like to break off after being flexed many times. I just replaced 2 of my cache containers because the tabs broke or were about to break. It would be nice if I could buy replacement lids separately.

Thanks for all the responses, people.

I'm figuring I'll stick some masking tape around the edges where they clamp and seal (so as not to mess up the clamps), and spraypaint the whole thing.

one more question, how do you all feel about textured spraypaint? It's a bit expensive, but I found some that'll make it look and feel like a sandy rock... That, plus a little forest green and brown, could make it look like a mossy rock.

Is there anything wrong with textured spraypaints? Remember I do plan on covering the clamps and seals with tape while painting, so making it difficult to open/close is not much of an issue.

I used textured spraypaint on many of mine. I don't even cover the clamps. I just spray the container with the lid on. Never had a problem doing it that way and I've painted dozens.

Also wash and scuff up the container (I use a Scotch Brite for that) then apply a plastic primer (I've tried a few and American Traditions by Valspar is the best by far.) before painting.

Edited by briansnat

farber.jpg

A Farberware (reputable company) L&L clone

Bumping the thread for my first Farberware testimonial. Placed a cache about a month ago. Someone really jammed it under the fallen log (close to, but not how I hid it). It was obviously at one point completely submerged during a thaw, and became encapsulated in ice for about a week and a half. Went this morning, everything is bone dry. Lone live the clone. :D

Below is a note I put on my cache page. You decide if they work. :D

July 14, 2008 by The finch farmers (206 found)

No dumping please has been recovered.

It is a Lock and Lock container. It has been under floodwater since June 11th, 2008 until today’s date of July 14, 2008. All contents inside were completely dry with absolutely no moisture inside of it. It had a business card lying in the bottom of the container. No water spots or stains found on the card. Ammo cans might be the best for long term but L n L containers do one heck of a job also!

As soon as I feel the area is ready to receive visitors this will be enabled.

Due to the problems obtaining ammo cans in this country, most cache containers are now of the lock and lock variety. I have found them to be easy to obtain and affordable (unlike the rare ammo can).

I have just 54 finds with at least 40-45 being lock and locks and never have I found a damp one.

One of our most recent ones which had gone unfound for about 8 months in an exposed location had been left all that time with just one of two lock flaps down, still dry.

Our first and only hide(which was sadly muggled quite quickly) was of this variety, someone got a free Wilko's LnL but they will have had a hard time getting the laminated cache info out of the lid...it was epoxied into place.

Long live Lock and locks....so long as people avoid low quality imitators, good quality imitators are fine by me though.

Edited by craftypants

-Come in many sizes

-The Carlz0r

They are very popular here in southwestern Ontario. We can buy them in the dollar stores here. Bigger sizes are sold singularly, smaller ones are sold two per package.

The vinyl is shiny: (might as well use day glow orange paint)

75f30061-bf56-4846-a54d-89daee3c5551.jpg

might as well?

i have this one:

P1010009_4.jpg

for some reason, people have trouble spotting it.

maybe because in the description, i refer to it as beautifully camouflaged?

also over looked is the paint can. i had some black plastic ones left over from when i painted my house. I wased them out and attached a washer to help open it. I currently have 2 hidden GC1A8WN and GC1C6BE and both stayed dry, if ppl pushed the lid on all the way. The GC1C6BE one is in the base of an old gasstation sign and the lid is pretty rusty helping it blend in with the old sign moter inside.

I've got a couple of the Faberware "clones" - (BTW, who's to say who cloned who? For all I know, the Fabz were the ones that were copied. &*) - been layin' outside, right under the eaves where rain pours onto 'em.....one of 'em upside down so the runoff will hit it right on its sealing. Inside's a square of toilet tissue (yes, the 'Super Absorbent' kind <_< ) & a packet of Sweet-n-Low. They've been rained on I don't know how many times, & as of this evening, snowed on 3 times. I'll give 'em another check soon's they thaw out....but so far, so good.

FabwareTest.jpg

(Just ignore the stuff in the background....future projects, but you didn't see a thing, K?)

*And FYI - Lock-n-Lock = $$-to-China;

Faberware : made rat cheer in da good ol' USofA!!

~*

I bought a couple sets of L&L multi size sets a couple months ago. I have found that the ones that latch under a lip around the rim keep breaking tabs off. I have lost 5 covers now because the first time I go to latch it on, a latch breaks off. I have to say it's excessively frustrating.

If anything, get the ones with the tab you latch through. Those I haven't had any trouble with and they keep moisture out.

The only trouble I've found with containers that seal like this is that some times a tiny bit of moisture will find its way inside, and then on a hot day or if the cache is in the sun, the container heats up and then everything seems to get moist because of the humidity. Yuck.

-Come in many sizes

-The Carlz0r

Yes, The Team uses these almost exclusively, they work great.

Very cheap source of brand name Lock and locks is

an asian store, seems to be called H Mart.

Every size imaginable (and some not) VERY good prices.

And I'm casting my vote on paint rather than tape.

I paid a lot of money for cammo tape and put it on my boxes. It didn't even make it out in the field. Cheap crappy stuff. Falling off right in my house.