Urban/Suburban Caching Without Looking Like a Weirdo

flaffle

I tried to threadjack an earlier topic about urban caching but I thought I'd throw it out to the masses.

I'm new to this and have had great luck in the woods/middle of nowhere finding difficult caches. I'm having trouble with the easy urban setting ones and I think my problem is mental....

Also, most of the caches I've been going after in these settings there is no reasonable explanation I can think for being there. Weird neighborhoods, suburban strip malls, abandoned construction sites, etc.

How do I do it without looking weird? I had tried a few during the day but I felt too conspicuous so I've tried them now at night but that seems even more suspicious. How do you make it look "normal" searching around a guard rail behind your local supermarket? Should you just do it without abandon? What are some good excuses if someone ask you what on earth you are doing behind the Walmart with a flashlight at midnight?

After a few people pass and give me a weird look I just walk away. I have missed more of these level 1's than the level 3's and 4's I've gone after in the woods.

I have always felt the same way finding urban caches alone. If I'm with 1-2 others I never feel that way.

Maybe that is my problem... I've always cached alone. None of my friends have any interest in it whatsoever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I went for one tonight and some girls were taking their break outside of their business and when I came tromping through the one girl was just like "Oh my God! You scared the S**t out of me!". I gave my deepest apologies and quickly moved along.... and I'm a girl. I really can't imagine how hard this is if you are a dude.

If those types are out of your current comfort zone then pass them up.

It's interesting to me that many of these urban hides are in public places and if you sit back and do a little people watching you'll notice that most folks are just busy going about what ever they are doing and will pay little attention to what is going on around them. Unless you cross a comfort zone, like looking under the same bench they are sitting on or lifting the lampskirt right next to their car.

Look for events in your area and meet some of the locals. There is a group of ladies around where I'm at that get together to cache. Sometimes just a few hours and other times it's an all day hunt.

Edited by Rick618

It's interesting to me that many of these urban hides are in public places and if you sit back and do a little people watching you'll notice that most folks are just busy going about what ever they are doing and will pay little attention to what is going on around them. Unless you cross a comfort zone, like looking under the same bench they are sitting on or lifting the lampskirt right next to their car.

My feelings exactly. Plus it helps alot if you look like you know exactly what you are doing. Most of the time I have a clipboard in the van or a small note pad. I just make it look like I am there to check serial numbers, model number, check electrical connections, etc. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself the vast majority of people won't even notice you are there.

I have always felt the same way finding urban caches alone. If I'm with 1-2 others I never feel that way.

Maybe that is my problem... I've always cached alone. None of my friends have any interest in it whatsoever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I went for one tonight and some girls were taking their break outside of their business and when I came tromping through the one girl was just like "Oh my God! You scared the S**t out of me!". I gave my deepest apologies and quickly moved along.... and I'm a girl. I really can't imagine how hard this is if you are a dude.

You can post in your local threads to see if anyone wants to do some caching. Make sure you include the details (when and where) in your post otherwise you won't get many responses.

My feelings exactly. Plus it helps alot if you look like you know exactly what you are doing. Most of the time I have a clipboard in the van or a small note pad. I just make it look like I am there to check serial numbers, model number, check electrical connections, etc. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself the vast majority of people won't even notice you are there.

Hehe.. you have given me a very good idea that I should have already thought of.... I am construction consultant. I have the safety vest, hard hat, car signs, and more clipboards than you can shake a stick at. That's what I do at work when I go somewhere weird (though I have still have guns pulled on me) but 99% of the time that works. I really can't believe I hadn't thought about breaking out my work apparel. I appreciate the idea of meeting up with a group but I sort of like doing it all by myself. I'm a solo hiker, backpacker, and camper so there's no need to change the flow now. I guess that is a little weird but I just enjoy the personal challenge and peace.

The town I live in is very bumcountry. People know me from my neighbors telling them about me when they see them at the grocery store or from odd announcements in the local paper. I moved here from a large city and it's just one of those weird small towns where everyone knows everyone. So even though the ones in town are "in town" people are always watching. And it's not just because they are nosy. Any event, no matter even if it it is a person walking by, warrants a look out the window. Also, people are very, very quick to call our volunteer police department.

I'd feel a lot less weird searching in a real city.

How do I do it without looking weird? I had tried a few during the day but I felt too conspicuous so I've tried them now at night but that seems even more suspicious. How do you make it look "normal" searching around a guard rail behind your local supermarket? Should you just do it without abandon? What are some good excuses if someone ask you what on earth you are doing behind the Walmart with a flashlight at midnight?

Do you have a dog? I find people act like you are invisible if you have a dog, especially if you're walking along with a baggie in your hand. :)

If you don't have a dog you could try either carrying a clipboard or calling out "Here, kitty kitty..." every few steps.

Caching as a group helps. So does caching with kids. You can do crazy stuff with kids.

I also don't feel right at some caches. If its too uncomfortable to do alone I wait till I have a kid or two with me. Even some caches are too uncomfortable with that situation. I may try to do some of those with a larger group some day. But if not then too bad.

The hi-visibility vest and clipboard route is a good one to take. One technique I use is to hold my phone to my ear and nod occasionally as I'm pacing around looking for the cache. It may sound crazy but to anyone else you're just answering a phone call. You can walk up and down in the same area, lean against things if you want to inspect them, or even kick piles of leaves, tap things with your foot etc etc.

...Also, most of the caches I've been going after in these settings there is no reasonable explanation I can think for being there. Weird neighborhoods, suburban strip malls, abandoned construction sites, etc....

You have two perfectly reasonable reasons for being there. 1. You like exploring the world you live in, and there you are. 2) You are geocaching.

If you aren't a wierdo, then you don't look like one. Besides for someong to walk up and say, "gee wierdo, what reasonable explanation do you have for being here?" They themselves have to be there to ask you the question and of course be weird by the fact that they think it's wierd to be there.

Of course I borrowed my attitude from the tribes. They claim the entire USA as their traditiional grounds. Excellent. I think along the same lines. This is my world. All of it.

My best advice, be bold.

Act as though you know 100% exactaly what you are doing doing and why you are there. Do not be stealthy, act as if you are doing nothing wrong - mostly because you are not. Go find the cache, sign the log, replace it and move on. Such folks tend to just blend in.

The safety vest and clipboard also work great!

I am construction consultant. I have the safety vest, hard hat, car signs, and more clipboards than you can shake a stick at.

I bought a hard hat and safety vest at a surplus store. If I start to feel too visible I just put them on. With a hard hat, vest and clip board you just seem to disappear. :):(

My best advice, be bold.

Act as though you know 100% exactaly what you are doing doing and why you are there. Do not be stealthy, act as if you are doing nothing wrong - mostly because you are not. Go find the cache, sign the log, replace it and move on. Such folks tend to just blend in.

The safety vest and clipboard also work great!

The most obvious is the least obvious I always say

...Also, most of the caches I've been going after in these settings there is no reasonable explanation I can think for being there. Weird neighborhoods, suburban strip malls, abandoned construction sites, etc....

If you aren't a wierdo, then you don't look like one. Besides for someong to walk up and say, "gee wierdo, what reasonable explanation do you have for being here?" They themselves have to be there to ask you the question and of course be weird by the fact that they think it's wierd to be there.

I agree with the "If I'm weird how weird must THEY be to be sitting around wondering about me being weird" school. I quickly adopted the theory of single mindedness. When I think I've found it I just go for it. I don't thrash around like I might in the woods, there is very little cursing, and I rarely slap at the trees because they have offended me, but I pretty much just go dig for what I want. But I live in Houston so my weird pretty much fades into the background.

I have just done a nice urban multi. I must have looked a right strange one.

I tend to try and park near with the boot up on the car, pretending to be broken down, and then on the phone asking for assistance. Looks a bit strange when i have found the cache signed the log, still pretending to be on the phone, hang up and then drive off.

Just have to look at people and see if they are interested in what you are doing,99% of the time they are not.

It's all part of the fun I find.

Saying that I have had an experience getting muggled doing the above and someone asked me if I wanted help with the car. Just nice that there is a slight fault with cache car one that I can play on. Oh why does my car go wrong and not the family car ! ! !