What's a troll?

Hi. I was just reading a post and ran across 2 words I didn't understand one I found a definition for, sock puppet, the second I couldn't find a definition so I'd like some help. The word I couldn't find a definition for is troll and considering the context of the writers remarks I'm guessing it might be somebody who is posting on the Forum just trying to get people mad. Am I close? I looked in gc.com's glossary of terms and also in the geolex and I don't see it defined in either one. Thanks in advance! :)

Hi. I was just reading a post and ran across 2 words I didn't understand one I found a definition for, sock puppet, the second I couldn't find a definition so I'd like some help. The word I couldn't find a definition for is troll and considering the context of the writers remarks I'm guessing it might be somebody who is posting on the Forum just trying to get people mad. Am I close? I looked in gc.com's glossary of terms and also in the geolex and I don't see it defined in either one. Thanks in advance! :)

BINGO!!! On both. You got the jist of things on your own! Took me a long while to figure it out LOL

... :) Then again, if you came up to the U.P. we would call YOU a troll! :P .....cuz ya live under da bridge! :D

well ive been acused of it many times.

the deffinitions that it seems to be are these 3

off topic posting- not me

posting to tick people off- also not me

and posting way tooooo much becouse you have no life- pretty much me

You're not a troll, no. You're more of a Howler is all. I started out as one, too, and it's a phase that will pass with time and an appropriate amount of shutting up.

You're not a troll, no. You're more of a Howler is all. I started out as one, too, and it's a phase that will pass with time and an appropriate amount of shutting up.

I thought that the howlers were the forum residents who fling the poo at the noob with the 'new' ideas.

I thought that the howlers were the forum residents who fling the poo at the noob with the 'new' ideas.

You're probably right. I think I've misread that to mean it's the noobs that toss the poo. :)

You're probably right. I think I've misread that to mean it's the noobs that toss the poo. :)

In my experience Howlers fling poo at noobs with opinions differ from their own. Especially if the Howler is also a Fossilizer.

In my experience Howlers fling poo at noobs with opinions differ from their own. Especially if the Howler is also a Fossilizer.

It appears that Newbie covers Crab Soul (and limitless others, of which I was included) completely.

Fossilizer is a new term for me. Is that like an Archivist?

It appears that Newbie covers Crab Soul (and limitless others, of which I was included) completely.

Thanks Redneck Parrottheads some info a Forum Newbie can use. I checked my hair in the mirror this morning and it looks pretty good today ... so I know I'm not a troll. :D

troll.jpg

A Fossilizer is a person that argues against change with complete disregard as to weather the change is good or bad by saying what boils down to "This is how it is, so it should stay this way."

~~~edit to add~~~

Thanks for the link, it almost ruined my vintage Toshiba Noteworthy multimedia keyboard by spewing coffee.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

I knows we talkin' about the same thing...but youse guys sure got a different definition (of the source) of 'troll' than I do!

A 'troll' (in verb form) is, speaking very basically, tossing bait out on the water to see if you can get a rise.

Or more definitively, usu. behind a slow-moving boat, etc., & the rise, from a fish, etc., ie, fish 'rising to the bait'.

It's a small 'reach', but the connection to 'forum baiting' is easy to discern.

The noun form of troll, to which you refer - is defined as (borrowing from Ye Good Olde 'American Heritage' dictionary': "A supernatural creature of Scandinavian folklore, variously portrayed as a friendly or mischievous dwarf or as a giant, that lives in caves, in the hills, or under bridges."

(It's also a noun to refer to the act of trolling, as a troll.)

And on the ol' Intarwebz, it became common usage to 'cross-breed' the two, & call those that troll (eg forum-baiting), a troll.

Not sayin' I've "been around awhile".....but I taught Al Gore everything he needs to know.

(That's why he don't know nuttin'.) :)

~*

Those are not definitions of a troll, but merely techniques a troll might use.

A troll, in the context of any discussion forum is, according to my personal definition, someone who posts to a forum with the primary intent of provoking a response. A troll doesn't necessarily (and typically probably doesn't) actually believe any opinions they might post. Their purpose is provoking readers of a forum to respond. For example, on Usenet (a forum I've been using since 1984) there are hundreds of fandom group such as groups primary made up of people gushing about their favorite sports team. Fandom groups are typically easy to troll since all you have to do is make a disparaging remark about the object of the fans desire.

In forums such as the Groundspeak forum trolls are frequently encountered starting yet another thread on a contentious topic that might be synonomous with an expired equine.

Posting off topic, or just being annoying are just tools that a troll can use to provoke a response and that is all that a troll is trying to do. With a little experience it's pretty easy to recognize when someone is trolling which inevitably provokes a "don't feed the trolls" post.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Hi. I was just reading a post and ran across 2 words I didn't understand one I found a definition for, sock puppet, the second I couldn't find a definition so I'd like some help. The word I couldn't find a definition for is troll and considering the context of the writers remarks I'm guessing it might be somebody who is posting on the Forum just trying to get people mad. Am I close? I looked in gc.com's glossary of terms and also in the geolex and I don't see it defined in either one. Thanks in advance! :(

... :( Then again, if you came up to the U.P. we would call YOU a troll! :lol: .....cuz ya live under da bridge! :)

It took me a bit to figure out what you were saying then a light turned on in the old noggin and the bridge reference finally clicked in. I'm going to blame it on the vicodin, because hopefully I'm not that slow naturally. Good luck in the TB Race! ;)

Over on this side of the pond - if you get the word troll used on a cache page, it usually means that the cache is hidden under a bridge. :)

This is, in my experience, largely true in the US as well. However, I doubt that this is true for caches published in Canada, for all Canadians, in addition to being a brutish and louty lot, are illiterate, and do not know how to spell the word "troll", and, since they do not yet have electricity, refrigeration, grocery stores, supermarkets or restaurants in Canada, Canadians tend to eat any trolls that they encounter, for wild-harvested trolls, squirrels, hedgehogs and rabbits comprise a large part of their native diet.

:(

Over on this side of the pond - if you get the word troll used on a cache page, it usually means that the cache is hidden under a bridge. :)

This is, in my experience, largely true in the US as well. However, I doubt that this is true for caches published in Canada, for all Canadians, in addition to being a brutish and louty lot, are illiterate, and do not know how to spell the word "troll", and, since they do not yet have electricity, refrigeration, grocery stores, supermarkets or restaurants in Canada, Canadians tend to eat any trolls that they encounter, for wild-harvested trolls, squirrels, hedgehogs and rabbits comprise a large part of their native diet.

And that is why LP Michiganders avoid Canadians.

I dunno...

Those Rush guys seemed pretty civilised.

I dunno...

Those Rush guys seemed pretty civilised.

You only think that because your a Floridian, I'm a Lower Peninsula Michigander and that means I'm a Troll.

LPers beware Canadians for you are crunchy, and tasty when doused in Moose Head and wrapped in ham Canadian bacon.

You have 5 threads open on the first page of geocaching topics KINGTROLL :(