Pennsylvania Caching

HouseofStone

My husband and I are in the process of planning our ten year anniversary trip - we're going to Pennsylvania! We'll be seeing Falling Water, Gettysburg, etc and hopefully a lot of spectacular views (we try to stay away from the larger cities). I was wondering if anyone from the areas could suggest good caching spots, or their favorite caches in the state? We plan on spending a couple of days just caching, and we like hiking so time spent really isn't an issue. Just...no rock climbing or kayaking or anything. We're road-tripping and won't have the room for the gear. :(

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Pennsylvania's Favorite Caches

While it's technically a bookmark list under my account, input was taken from this thread and folks from all over PA nominated their favorite caches. The list encompasses most of the state and contains caches of all types, so everyone is certain to find something they will enjoy.

start with this list. All worthwhile, and if you plan on traveling by NWPA we have a couple of nice ones :(

Would recommend going for the Alleghany GeoTrail if the following holds true:

1) You like exploring areas with history of mining, trains, prohibition, etc.

2) You have at least 4-5 days (experienced geocacher) or 6-7 days (inexperienced geocacher).

3) You like collecting and earning geocoins.

4) You like camping (or course you dont have to camp in the state parks... just use a wireless connection and hotwire.com it a few hours before you check in).

You dont need to find all of the caches on the county lists and can choose your style: longer hikes, urban easy hides, etc (just read the cache descriptions).

Of course in other parts of the state, I recommend the following:

1. Gettysburg

2. Long Wood Gardens

3. Bube's Brewery (or any other Brewpub, however this one was very neat) Yuengling in Pottsville

4. Centralia

Im sure I am missing a lot of other neat places but alas its dinner time!

Going to be tough without a planned itinerary. Definitely visit Falling Waters!! That was one of the highpoints of our trip. Pick your 'must-see' highpoints and work from there.

"Hey! You said you always wanted to visit Laurel Caverns. So, here we are at Laurel Caverns." "But, I meant Luray Caverns!" :( As I said, Falling Waters was one of the highpoints of that trip!

I enjoyed Brown's Hill Cache, but that's in West Virginia.

Pennsylvania's Favorite Caches

While it's technically a bookmark list under my account, input was taken from this thread and folks from all over PA nominated their favorite caches. The list encompasses most of the state and contains caches of all types, so everyone is certain to find something they will enjoy.

start with this list. All worthwhile, and if you plan on traveling by NWPA we have a couple of nice ones :(

Fallingwater and Gettysburg are kind of opposite ends of the State. ;) Are you going anywhere other than a direct line between the two? I'm sure the owner of that bookmark list has been all up and down (back and forth?) that corridor. If he doesn't see this in the next couple of days, I'll bring it to his attention.

Well, we're still in the midst of planning our itinerary, so if there's something that's a must-see, give a shout out and we'll see if it's worth the back and forth! We had planned on mostly staying in the southern part of the state, since that's where Falling Water and Gettysburg are, but again, if there's something worth seeing, we're game!

And thanks everyone for replying!

There is a hiking/biking trail that goes from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD. Since you'll be at Fallingwater, you can access the trail near Ohiopyle, PA. There are over 80 caches reported on the bike trail. Bike rentals are readily available in Ohiopyle as is white water rafting.

You don't say what time of the year you'll be visiting. Laurel Caverns is not far from Fallingwater/Ohiopyle and is probably worth it. It's been nearly 20 years since I was at the Caverns. How much can a cave change???

30 minutes from Fallingwater is Seven Springs Ski Resort. They have lots of summertime activities, including their Alpine Slide. (www.7springs.com)

Let me think of other activities and I'll try to post more.

There are some excellent caches between Gettysburg and the Laurel Highlands. Once you have your route planned out it would be easier to give you an idea of what caches to hit. If you definitely want to do both locations you could take Route 30 (the Lincoln Highway, full of history) from Gettysburg to the PA Turnpike and head west from there. Doing so would take you near some excellent caches -- and not too far from the United Airlines Flight 93 Memorial. (I believe there's still a cache there but it's not listed at geocaching.com any longer)

You could spend a whole day caching and looking around in Gettysburg alone... lots to see there. If your travels take you near Bedford (along the PA Turnpike) you might want to see the Coffee Pot (GC13V5G) and do a number of caches around Davey Lewis Cave (GC142Y7) and the Bedford Springs Resort.

The fastest way between Gettysburg and Falling Water is probably to head down into Maryland and take Route 70 & 68 west though. I've driven that way once but not done many caches down there. Knowing what route you want to take would make it easier to suggest some caches along the way. I love caching in southwest PA, there are some excellent locations and caches there.