What's the Beef about PREMIUM MEMBERS ONLY caches?

Sheesh, now we've got religion and politics cluttering up a perfectly good forum discussion. Can't we get back to the real geocaching topic the OP wanted to talk about? "Why doesn't anyone want to come out and play with me and my toys the way I want to play?" or something like that. :(

Cluttering up - hardly! One reference address mentioned and that is religion - not even an "activist judge" would agree with that one. :(

Perfectly good is debatable too.... to what standards are you saying perfectly good?

BTW the OP is long gone....

Gone or not, politics and religion belongs in Off Topic, not in here.

Sheesh, now we've got religion and politics cluttering up a perfectly good forum discussion. Can't we get back to the real geocaching topic the OP wanted to talk about? "Why doesn't anyone want to come out and play with me and my toys the way I want to play?" or something like that. :D

Cluttering up - hardly! One reference address mentioned and that is religion - not even an "activist judge" would agree with that one. :(

Perfectly good is debatable too.... to what standards are you saying perfectly good?

BTW the OP is long gone....

Gone or not, politics and religion belongs in Off Topic, not in here.

Zoom... right over your head..... :(

The main thing I have noticed about this thread is that posters here sure know how to use the QUOTE facility. Many posts have quotes abot 7-10 levels deep. I think it clutters the discussion with too much (repetition of) information.
But it sure helps someone to understand what you're replying to, especially if the post you're replying to is 3 or 4 posts previous, or even on a different page.
Hey Mushtang, I agree with everything you just said. :laughing:
I think I did too... Scary, huh? :(
It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Even I agree with everything you posted, what is the world coming to? :D

I have some puzzle caches where one cacher has viewed the page in excess of 500 times.

I still disagree with him. Where's my stimulus check? :(

Sorry, the Dems don't think allowing you to decide how to spend the money you earned is going to stimulate the economy, so you won't be getting a check. They're passing a ginormous pork spending bill to pay back other Dems for electing their American (Idol) President, and creating projects to "stimulate the economy".

Nevermind that when the projects are completed in a year or two those jobs are going away again, and the economy will still be in the toilet.

On the bright side, we can expect

, right?

I still think MOCs are a good idea for those that are trying to protect their caches from a local cache pirate that doesn't spend the money for a membership, or for those that want to use the Audit Logs to get a rough idea of how many people are viewing the cache page.

Again I agree. However, BO does belong in Off Topic. So if you start a thread over there, I'll join you over there...

I posted my first cache it went right thru; the second was denied because I didn't have a home co-or because I'm not a pre'mo member I know it's only $30 but sometimes that's alot

Here's my reply

I am the volunteer coordinator at Surf City Parks and Rec. that means I work too many hours for no pay out of care for my town and the children in it.

Why would I do that do you ask?

Because my husband was on the FDNY on 9-11 and I live in a different place now. My birthday is 4-08 and I've asked to get the $30 for the better membership from my sons, but after this message I am going to think about it.

A program I thought I could build involving volunteers and children; families and the environment apparently is based on if I up grade my membership. I have now noticed that in the upper right corner I went form being a frog face to being a sad face. Shame on you. You should not need to build your financial base by shame.

I spent a wonderful day with a girlfriend caching thinking this is the best thing I have found to bring back my life since I can remember, but now I have a sour taste. WHY? $30 you would have gotten in a few weeks?

I posted my first cache it went right thru; the second was denied because I didn't have a home co-or because I'm not a pre'mo member I know it's only $30 but sometimes that's alot...

The cache should not have been denied if you are not a premium member. It's possible the cache was denied because you placed it too far from 'home' if home is defined by your finds and the other cache was far enough away. Hard to say. Your reviewer should have given you a reason. It's possible that being fairly new the reason didn't make a lot of sence. Folks think differently and sometimes its' expressed different enough to where they have a hard time understanding each other.

There's no way that your cache was denied because you are not a Premium Member.

That's correct. Once the owner enters home coordinates or otherwise responds about their ability to maintain the cache, the problem is solved. You don't need to be a premium member to enter your location. And, it doesn't need to be the exact location of your house.

End of tangent. The more general point: reviewers don't give preference one way or the other to whether the cache owner is a premium member.

The main thing I have noticed about this thread is that posters here sure know how to use the QUOTE facility. Many posts have quotes abot 7-10 levels deep.

Agreed! No more qouting!...

(oops)

What about quoting? Are you against that too?

I think the issue was more than 1 level of quotes.

The main thing I have noticed about this thread is that posters here sure know how to use the QUOTE facility. Many posts have quotes abot 7-10 levels deep.

Agreed! No more qouting!...

(oops)

What about quoting? Are you against that too?

I think the issue was more than 1 level of quotes.

Yeah! No more multilevel quotes!...

(dern... did it again... stoopid quotes!)

A program I thought I could build involving volunteers and children; families and the environment apparently is based on if I up grade my membership. I have now noticed that in the upper right corner I went form being a frog face to being a sad face. Shame on you. You should not need to build your financial base by shame.

I don't know what you're referring to here, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean what you think it does.

Also, you don't need to be a Premium Member to enter your home coordinates. Just edit your profile.

I'm still fairly new around here, but I became a premium member the first day, because I knew that in order to download caches I needed to be, and I'm just too dadgum lazy to sit there and enter them all by hand. Now, if you ask me, I think that is a bit of an elitist thing, but it's still something I'm willing to put up with in order to make it easier on me...understand? I mean, the easiest way to download is to:

A) Go out and buy a Garmin (which you're pretty much forced to do)

:D Pay $30 for a membership (WAY cheaper than a single round of golf, my other passion)

C) Install software and drivers, and start downloading

So like I said, I think everyone should be allowed to easily download caches, regardless of membership type, or brand of GPS, but I don't make those decisions. So if I want to participate, I gotta do what I gotta do.

Now I know this has gotten off of the topic at hand, but I think the real rant here by the OP has nothing to do with PMO caches, but rather the fact that he feels he's being forced to pay up for a premium membership, and (depending on what you want to accomplish) that is simply not the case.

What I'm saying is that we all have CHOICES to make. You can:

CHOOSE to get into geocaching

CHOOSE your brand of GPS

CHOOSE whether or not you want to become a "premie"

Aside from wanting to have easy downloads and access to MOCs, you can choose to stick with your Magellan or TomTom or whatever you have, and you can choose to keep that $30 in your pocket. It's all up to you. There are 10s of thousands of caches out there in the world...are you really going to let yourself get all bent out of shape just because there are a few that are accessible only to those of us who CHOOSE to pay for the experience?

I think you need to get over yourself and your own attitudes that there are "elitists" within our ranks, because in the short time I've been here, that certaily does not seem true to me.

I'm still fairly new around here, but I became a premium member the first day, because I knew that in order to download caches I needed to be, and I'm just too dadgum lazy to sit there and enter them all by hand. Now, if you ask me, I think that is a bit of an elitist thing, but it's still something I'm willing to put up with in order to make it easier on me...understand? I mean, the easiest way to download is to:

:D Pay $30 for a membership (WAY cheaper than a single round of golf, my other passion)

So like I said, I think everyone should be allowed to easily download caches, regardless of membership type, or brand of GPS, but I don't make those decisions. So if I want to participate, I gotta do what I gotta do.

Now I know this has gotten off of the topic at hand, but I think the real rant here by the OP has nothing to do with PMO caches, but rather the fact that he feels he's being forced to pay up for a premium membership, and (depending on what you want to accomplish) that is simply not the case.

CHOOSE your brand of GPS

Aside from wanting to have easy downloads and access to MOCs, you can choose to stick with your Magellan or TomTom or whatever you have, and you can choose to keep that $30 in your pocket. It's all up to you. There are 10s of thousands of caches out there in the world...are you really going to let yourself get all bent out of shape just because there are a few that are accessible only to those of us who CHOOSE to pay for the experience?

I think you need to get over yourself and your own attitudes that there are "elitists" within our ranks, because in the short time I've been here, that certaily does not seem true to me.

Your argument is flawed right from the get-go!!

:blink: Pay $30 for a membership (WAY cheaper than a single round of golf, my other passion)

CHOOSE your brand of GPS

That was the only part of his post that I agreed with! :D

Not sure where the "forced" part comes from. Any GPS will work and, as far as the downloading, almost every brand has models that allow for this.

Not sure if you did a search of the forums, but there are people who even cache without their GPS's, albeit very few. The only thing you gotta do is get on the site.

Trust me, _her_ comments have nothing to do with membership of for that matter even PMO's. however to get a good idea of what is going on one simply has to look at their profile and read their logs and cache descriptions.

CHOOSE your brand of GPS

I _think_ :D I agree with this, however I am still not sure if the line including brands and the $30 are exclusive, it seems you have a notion that to be a premium member and take advatage of the site you need to have a Garmin.

Ahhh.... to be new again.

To be sure the overwhelming majority of cachers welcome everyone with open arms, in fact, the vast majority never have seen the forums. There are a select few that exhibit an elitists attitude. I for one have not run into too many and even in this thread there are less than 2.

By virtue of the fact that I have posted, the OP should now be responding shortly.

Was that too many quotes?

My family is new (3 months) to the hobby. We are PMs. We have just started to do some hides and made them PMOs. I got a email to from someone nicely asking if I would open my hides. It was so thier parents could read thier logs. Open or PMO was somthing we talked about when doing our first hide.

What we decided was that a website like Geocaching.com can't be cheap to keep running. Thank the Lord for the volinteer Publishers. Anyways, If no one paid ... there would be no Geocaching .com. Yet on the other hand if you had to pay before you decided if you like it ... no-one would buy.

Believe me, I know how tough it is in Michigan as I'm sitting here unemployed. $30 is a tough scrape right now. Caching or Food,gas, water, lights .... Been nice knowin ya.

Trying to look at all sides, this is what we came up with. We will make our hides PMO for 30 to 90 days. then open them to everyone.

Let those who pay .. play first, then

let everyone enjoy, maybe you will like the hobby enough to help support the site.

In this world, if nobody pays ... nobody plays. Just trying to fair to everyone

My family is new (3 months) to the hobby. We are PMs. We have just started to do some hides and made them PMOs. I got a email to from someone nicely asking if I would open my hides. It was so thier parents could read thier logs. Open or PMO was somthing we talked about when doing our first hide.

What we decided was that a website like Geocaching.com can't be cheap to keep running. Thank the Lord for the volinteer Publishers. Anyways, If no one paid ... there would be no Geocaching .com. Yet on the other hand if you had to pay before you decided if you like it ... no-one would buy.

Believe me, I know how tough it is in Michigan as I'm sitting here unemployed. $30 is a tough scrape right now. Caching or Food,gas, water, lights .... Been nice knowin ya.

Trying to look at all sides, this is what we came up with. We will make our hides PMO for 30 to 90 days. then open them to everyone.

Let those who pay .. play first, then

let everyone enjoy, maybe you will like the hobby enough to help support the site.

In this world, if nobody pays ... nobody plays. Just trying to fair to everyone

I think that it is great that you are willing to open up your caches to everyone after a short period.

I would like to add, however, that PMO caches is not teh big thing about being a member. PQs are teh big thing. Great features such as PQs will entice people to become premium members. There is no need to push them into it via the promise of cool PMO caches. After all, in reality PMO caches are no better than non-PMO caches.

:blink: Pay $30 for a membership (WAY cheaper than a single round of golf, my other passion)

CHOOSE your brand of GPS

That was the only part of his post that I agreed with! :D

I'm guessing you're a Garmin owner and this is why you agreed....BUT, we Delorme users can now direct download, making the statement I boldened false and the reason I stated this!!

I agree with Baloo though, ANY GPS can download (if it has that function) with relative ease (and the knowhow), anyone can cache even without a GPS!

I would agre that PMO caches are not the BIG thing. But I would't know a PQ if it smacked me in the face. You see I cache with the satilite page on a TOMTOM. and nothing in the GC.com site will download to it. Hopeing to get a true outdoors GPSr If my company calls me back to work.

But I do think it is a PART of the BIG THING and it should be. I appreciate the cost of the site BECAUSE money is so tight right now. Yet at the same time (if done right) it is one of the cheapest things I have available to me right now. But I Know sombody is getting paid and I should feel a responciblity to that.

What I'm saying is I see both sides of it and want to try to plan for both. I have some new hides that are only going to be up 90 days and since the FTF s have had thier fun I will probably open them up now.

I will be taking some cubscouts caching soon and won't take them to PMOs so they can log thier visits. Since I never knew about a backdoor. It is what it is. If I could aford it I would pay for an acount for them. But I will bet they will just as much fun without it. They are 10 years old.

Just trying to look at both sides.