Please help a Newbie

Zedbee

Hi

I have been out a few time Geocaching with a friend and really enjoy it so I want to get into it myself.

I have been given the all clear by the other half to get my GPS and have been looking into "what would suit me best".

I have been scanning this forum for advice and to be honest am still confused :lol:

My mate has a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx and really rates it, I noticed we had to carry hints in paper form for some of the caches and think I might like to avoid this if possible.

So I would like if possible some help or advice on what I actually need to get me out hunting for my first cache.

Things I think I like the idea of and would like advice if just gimmicks or worthwile are as follows:

Expandable memory? I live in NZ but come from UK so am I right in thinking that with expandable memory I can put maps for both on different cards?

Paperless geocaching? geocaching is the main thing I will use my GPS for along with hiking and a little road direction (if this is possible?)

Electric compass?

High sensitivity?

Also if possible can people comment on what manufacturer offers best add on maps, I already have freshmap for NZ and it would save me an arm and a leg if this was compatable with the machine I buy.

The GPS's that I have been looking at are as follows, pro's and con's for all would be appreciated

Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Garmin GPSMAP60CSx

Garmin Oreon 300

Magellan Triton 400

Sorry for all the questions in one hit but I dont want to buy something that I will outgrow and be a waste having to upgrade it after no time at all.

Thanks in advance

Z

The Vista HCX and 60CSX are similar in capabilities, but a lot different in form. They are outstanding all around units and it would be hard find better. Between the two, you need to decide which form you prefer. the Vista HCX has the edge if you are just going to use it as a hand held because of its compact size. The 60CSX has the edge if you are going to use it for vehicle navigation because the buttons are on the front and easier to operate while driving.

You can get the hints onto these units with a little know how and GSAK (a 3rd party application). Somewhere in this forum are details on how to do this.

The Oregon gives you the advantage of true paperless caching (meaning it holds entire cache pages), but it is missing many of the features of the 60CSX and Vista HCX. As someone new to GPS you probably won't miss those, but many 60CSX users were disappointed with the Oregon. The Oregon would be a good choice if you are just geocaching and don't mind spending the extra money for it, but for what you spend on an Oregon, you can buy a Vista HCX, an inexpensive PDA with Cachemate and have money left over.

Another possibility is the Delorme PN-40. From a mapping standpoint it is probably the best GPS around and all maps are included in the price (you have to pay extra for most maps with the other units) . You have to find out however what mapping capability Delorme has for NZ and the UK. Their US maps are outstanding. I can't address what is available for other countries.

Stay away from the Triton. Even if it was the best GPS ever made, Magellan's customer support ranges from lousy to abysmal. The Triton is far from the best GPS.

Things I think I like the idea of and would like advice if just gimmicks or worthwile are as follows:

Expandable memory? I live in NZ but come from UK so am I right in thinking that with expandable memory I can put maps for both on different cards?

Paperless geocaching? geocaching is the main thing I will use my GPS for along with hiking and a little road direction (if this is possible?)

Electric compass?

High sensitivity?

Expandable memory- GPS units have some memory in them. If you load too many waypoints/caches, you'll hit a wall. Maybe this is an issue for you, maybe not. Also, most GPS don't have built in full maps. So have expandable memory means being able to add a card with a more detailed maps. For me, this was a feature I wanted on my second GPSr.

Paperless geocaching- I think some of the new, highend models have this built in. But am not yet willing to go that route. Getting an inexpensive PDA would also do this. I've been thinking of doing this with my Palm Tungsten E2 yet. The prices of some PDS have dropped to the point were you could probably pick up one cheap.

Electronic compass- I've always carried an inexpensive compass with my caching gear. I've yet to be convenced have an electronic compass built in is that necessary.

High sensitivity- having a unit that is better able to find the location can be very useful. This was another feature that was a big factor in my second GPSr.

FWIW, my first unit was a Garmin eTrex Venture. When I was looked for my second, I narrowed it down to the Legend HCx and 60Cx. When I learned that in terms of accuracy they are the same, price lead me to get the Legend.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your input, I think looking at what you say I will go for the VistaHCX.

Reasoning is this.

It has expandable memory

"You can get the hints onto these units with a little know how and GSAK (a 3rd party application)"

It is high sensitivity

It has the compass, however useful or not that may be

It is nice and compact for geocaching

My friend can help me set up and is familiar with its use

Its heaps cheaper than the others and in the main will offer same accuracy/features :(

Thans again for the advice

Now I look forward to getting it and finding some caches

Thanks for your input, I think looking at what you say I will go for the VistaHCX.

Reasoning is this.

It has expandable memory

"You can get the hints onto these units with a little know how and GSAK (a 3rd party application)"

It is high sensitivity

It has the compass, however useful or not that may be

It is nice and compact for geocaching

My friend can help me set up and is familiar with its use

Its heaps cheaper than the others and in the main will offer same accuracy/features :(

Thans again for the advice

Now I look forward to getting it and finding some caches

Not familier with any unit other than the Garmin 60CSx but I am sold on the electronic compass for GeoCaching because: It is easier to see than the map when moving, especially for my old eyes and have found that I use it almost always to navigate to a Cache.