TB not listed in the cache where I found it

rtreit

I looked briefly on the Travel Bug forum but didn't see the answer to this, but I'm sure it's a newbie question.

I found a TB this afternoon in a cache, but it turns out it was not in the cache's inventory online. In fact, it was last logged in November as being in Louisiana (I found it here in Washington state).

I grabbed it and it's in my inventory now. My question is: should I virtually drop it in the cache where I found it and then retrieve it so that this cache lives in its history or just move it to a new cache and log it once it's there? What's the standard practice here?

Thanks,

rtreit

I looked briefly on the Travel Bug forum but didn't see the answer to this, but I'm sure it's a newbie question.

I found a TB this afternoon in a cache, but it turns out it was not in the cache's inventory online. In fact, it was last logged in November as being in Louisiana (I found it here in Washington state).

I grabbed it and it's in my inventory now. My question is: should I virtually drop it in the cache where I found it and then retrieve it so that this cache lives in its history or just move it to a new cache and log it once it's there? What's the standard practice here?

Thanks,

rtreit

Dipping it would be a good thing to do, it would add mileage and fill in some history.

Most geocachers will dip a TB into the cache where they they found it to make sure the track log includes that cache.

My question is: should I virtually drop it in the cache where I found it and then retrieve it so that this cache lives in its history or just move it to a new cache and log it once it's there? What's the standard practice here?

Thanks,

rtreit

Drop and retrieve it from the cache you found it in. The bug needs credit for being there.

If the trackable was in someone's hands, they might have been on a trip and dropped it in the cache and have yet to return home or to a computer to log the drop. If this was the case, the person holding the traveler might grab the item back personally to make the drop official (not now that you did maybe, but if it were me, I would). If it was in someone's possession and you grabbed it from them, they could take wxception to this and might be willing to shoot off a little note detailing their idsdain for you doing this. (I'm not saying this is the case, I haven't even bothered to peek into the full details).

When a traveler is in someone else's possession but you find it in a cache, your best move is to wait awhle before emailing the person holding the bug. Grabbing the bug from someone might be considered rude by the person holding it, and could result in hurt feelings on either or both ends. Best to email them and wait for their response. If no response, wait a few weeks and repeat the email, then wait again. If nothing again, then go ahead and make the grab with maybe an explanation that you emailed.

Now, if the traveler were merely missing all that time and then dropped off anonymously, showing to be in a different cache or unknown location, you're good to go!

Again, not saying this was what happened or that you did anything wrong, just letting you know this in advance should you ever run into this situation!!

HAPPY CACHING!!

Thanks for the info and advice Roddy.

I did check the cacher who had possession's profile, and the whole thing seemed a bit mysterious: joined on 11/1/08, last visit 11/1/08, 0 caches found, 0 forum posts. Grabbed the bug on 11/1/08. So it's been 3 months since they took possession. I have to say, it seems to me that if you find a bug it would make sense to grab it, since that reflects that it's really in your possession now. Maybe I'll post this question in the TB forum; probably will be a good discussion!

Thanks again.

rtreit

Don't worry. This will be moved to the TB forum quickly.

Pay attention to Roddy! Give the previous holder a chance to log the bug properly!! Usually a week takes care of most vacationers. An e-mail to the previous bug holder does not hurt. This will save a lot of hurt feelings. Had one grabbed by cell phone from across the table at an event. Good grief! I was home an hour later to log it! Not to mention a week's vacation with no computer access. Got home to log the caches and TBs and found that most of them had been grabbed from me! A little common sense; a little courtesy does not hurt.

Your case might be different. The bug holder is not logging finds in a normal way. There are people who geocache, but do not log their finds nor the travel bugs. You should still give them a week!

Yes! Definitely log it into the cache where you found it, then retrieve it from that cache. Keeps the recordds straight, and makes the bug owner happier.