Cointest...Show Us Them Puppies!

drneal

Here we are, my daughter, Wyatt and me in the very cold water under a covered bridge in Vermont. I'm glad that my daughter is taller than me because I would never have reached the cache :) Wyatt really had fun in the water, at first he was walking strange as if he wasn't sure of the depth of the water but, once we started throwing sticks everywhere, he just gained confidence and splashed us all over :D

100_0913_1.jpg

Here's a few pictures of two of my geo-dogs: my Belgian Malinois Pepper and My Yellow Lab Max.

Max passed away on August 3, 2007, while doing what he loved best: hiking and geocaching; he was about 13 1/2 at the time . I adopted Pepper from a shelter in December of 2007. She is smart, playful, energetic and a great geo-hiking companion; she's currently a little over 2 1/2 yrs old.

c55b5df6-864e-4a5f-a660-368900d5adaa.jpg

Pepper... Spring Fever

6677a13b-78cb-4beb-bc88-723f88d45f6c.jpg

Pepper... Summertime Cooldown

679a7b0c-e32a-4b80-8866-d65b25216ed7.jpg

Pepper... Early Winter Frolic

8592a09a-3149-47e2-b3f1-9408d57d59d9.jpg

tom4props & Pepper at Clifford's Last Cache

3a5072f6-95db-49d9-bb29-62e65c7e9543.jpg

Max... Patiently Waits (while I sign a logbook) at Rainbow Falls

37cb4166-ea72-4c6d-8d62-92bad7c4cdda.jpg

tom4props & Max At Calabasas Peak

Moxie and me at our 1000th cache.

5710f16b-d69f-451f-9a83-931fe12a597b.jpg

It was on an island in casco bay. We needed to take a ferry to get there and traveled from one end of the island to the other on foot. She slept soundly on the ferry ride back!

7633dc74-d0cc-4b12-8237-fc1a46bc8256.jpg

We got her as a wee pup. She came from a rescue shelter listed on Petfinder.com. Couldn't ask for a better dog! She is our baby!

e21d53c7-a29e-470e-ba78-41f32084f453.jpg

2ad3020d-e090-409b-b491-b2318360f446.jpg

39556372-ca75-4ace-a131-09fd444f8f24.jpg

Moxie and me at our 1000th cache.

5710f16b-d69f-451f-9a83-931fe12a597b.jpg

It was on an island in casco bay. We needed to take a ferry to get there and traveled from one end of the island to the other on foot. She slept soundly on the ferry ride back!

7633dc74-d0cc-4b12-8237-fc1a46bc8256.jpg

We got her as a wee pup. She came from a rescue shelter listed on Petfinder.com. Couldn't ask for a better dog! She is our baby!

e21d53c7-a29e-470e-ba78-41f32084f453.jpg

2ad3020d-e090-409b-b491-b2318360f446.jpg

A favorite Maine cacher! Hi TeamMoxiePup! Love that photo with the mountains in the background.

I love the pics! ESPECIALLY the basset hounds (wonder why THAT is!)

We are a "hound" family. We got our first houns Blue in 2000 right after we were married. We then adopted a hound a year for the next 4 years or so. Albert was adopted in 2001. Ozzie in 2002, Duke in 2004, Elmo in 2006 and Rosie in 2007. They are all adopted...NO buying dogs for us! We like the senior dogs...we don't get to have them with us as long, but we just love them.

Blue was 5 when we got her....we don't know her history except that she hated men (except for Mr TH), hated hats, had separation anxiety and was a "mamas girl" to the end. We lost her in March of 08 to a ruptured spleen. She was 12.

Albert was around 7 when we got him. He lived with a family for 5 years and they gave him up. He was adopted by another family and they brought him back to rescue after a year saying that "he peed in the house every day". We had him for 7 years and he never peed in the house (except when it was our fault for not being home to let him out...or when the vet accidentally expressed HIS anal glands instead of Blue's at the vet...he peed on the floor right in front of us to let us know that he was mad). We lost Bert in 2007 of old age.

Ozzie was next...we got him at 1.5 years old....and never will we get a hound under 5 again! Ozzie only has one eye because when he was 8 weeks old someone sprayed him in the face with a high pressure air or water hose, an ulcer formed and none of his FIVE owners in his year and a half of life ever took care of it. Those of you that have met him know that it doesn't slow him down any though. He is now around 7ish.

Next was Duke. I have always loved Bloodhounds and figured they would just be "big bassets". No bloodhound rescue group would talk to us (grrrrr) so we got him from a "generic" resuce group out of AZ. Duke was "rescued" from the streets by a vet. he doesn't have a tail for some reason...no one knows why it was bobbed. He's about 8 today.

Next up was Elmo. For some reason I was looking at the AZ Basset hound rescue website and saw Elmo on there....I was hooked. I drove 12 hours to pick him up (luckily the basset hound rescue group knew us and would adopt to us). Elmo was named by the 2 year old twins in the foster home he was in. We had no history on Elmo, only that he was between 8-12 when we got him (our vet guessed closer to 12). he had to have all of his teeth pulled but 12. Poor guy. But he loved life and we had him for almost 2 years. He died in Nov of 07. His heart gave out...we guess he was around 14.

Lastly is Rosie, the long legged Basset. We got a call from CO basset rescue asking if we would foster a basset/bloodhound mix (since they knew we were familiar with both breeds). I said yes (as Mr TH was in Korea). The CO rescue group got her from the local shelter that was goign to put her down because she was terrified of people. For the first year after I got her (she was only a foster for about 2 days before I decided she was staying with us! lol) she would hide under the desk whenever anyone came in the house and she would slink around after they were gone for about a day smelling them and wondering where they were hiding. She has come out of her shell and loves everyone. We were told she was about 5 when we got her, but we have no clue how old she really is or what her history is.

So there you have it....the TANK HOUNDS history. I won't include any of the pics of the hounds on a tank (how they got their names) since these are supposed to be pics of us and the hounds. so......

This first pic is the only picture we have of us and ALL of the "kids"....We lost Albert not too long after this picture was taken.

croppedall8-1.jpg

This picture is our latest "family" picture. It was taken in December 2008.

Allofus122508cropped.jpg

This one is a picture of Mr TH and Ozzie...for some strange reason Ozzie refused to cross that bridge to the cache...so I had to go by myself!

31707bridgeofterror3.jpg

And this last pic is of me and Rosie...we were caching in a park in Colorado Springs...it's a terrible pic of me (squinting and all), but it's great of Rosie.

Rosiesusan62506.jpg

thanks for letting me share the story of our hounds and how we came to be "owned" by them!

I don't know if we are allowed to post more pics...but I love to go through photos of our puppies!

Tankhounds....I agree when you say 'how you came to be owned by your hounds' they are beautiful!!

Here is pic of OptimusCache and Louis on our last hike to Arethuska Cirque. Note the 'puppy' in his caching bag. Louis also has his own 'caching' bag for doggy doo. By the way, I found out here in Australia they call doggy doo "Barker's Eggs".

0000.jpg

This is us braving the cold mountain winds for a FTF. I think it was called "Sometimes an Island, Sometimes not". Funny story, I was so excited when we drove up that I grabbed both gpsrs and started straight uphill through the pines...only to see that I had definitely taken the wrong way and was looking pretty much straight down at a lake...with an island in it and two people looking for something....my FTF!!!!! My husband who was much more comfortable with the descent than I ran down the hill and across the rocks to the 'island' just in case they weren't cachers :( . Turns out they were very new cachers who just happened to be looking for the cache and didn't even know what FTF meant! After I got safely down the hill we had a good chat and welcomed them to caching.

Afterwards, I spotted this beautiful trunk and we took time for a photo op. Like I said it was chilly and windy so Louis is trying to get me to warm him up and Duchess who is a 'hot dog' (pun intended) is still panting under all that fur. Being so low to the ground and having all that flowing fur makes for a lot of post caching grooming. She picks up everything!

014.jpg

A favorite Maine cacher! Hi TeamMoxiePup! Love that photo with the mountains in the background.

Hi Hollora! :)

That photo was taken on top of "Jockeycap". GCH8J3 That pedestal that Moxie is standing on is actually a monument dedicated to Adm. Robert E. Peary, the famed polar explorer and Fryeburg resident from 1878-79, who is credited with leading the first successful expedition to the North Pole in 1909.

With the aid of Peary's profile survey monument you can identify every peak large and small in a 360-degree arc.

And of course, the center of the world, in this picture anyway, is represented by a dog... as it should be! :(

Hi Hollora! :lol:

That photo was taken on top of "Jockeycap". GCH8J3 That pedestal that Moxie is standing on is actually a monument dedicated to Adm. Robert E. Peary, the famed polar explorer and Fryeburg resident from 1878-79, who is credited with leading the first successful expedition to the North Pole in 1909.

With the aid of Peary's profile survey monument you can identify every peak large and small in a 360-degree arc.

And of course, the center of the world, in this picture anyway, is represented by a dog... as it should be! :)

Woot! Ya, gotta love it - another onto the "must do list". Thanks for sharing the history too! :(

Let me introduce my English Springer Spaniel Baba O’Riley and tell his story. First I need to give you some background. About a year ago Avroair ran a cointest asking coiners what they would do with their money if there were no geocoins. I like many others listed some silly things or somewhat serious but then I started to think what would I really do with that money? It took only a minute or two to decide. After a year I still really missed my Springer Abbey so I decided if I had the money I would adopt another one. I thought about it for several days and decided that coins are real pretty pieces of metal but they can’t lick your face or ask for a belly rub! LOL I decided to start looking and started to sell off some of my coins. I went to the Springer rescue site and didn’t have much luck so I returned to petfinder.com. It must have been a sign because I looked on my birthday and there he was! He had been found as a stray along with another purebred dog. He had been on the run for a pretty long time as he was so matted they couldn’t even tell if he was neutered or not. He was very thin and had been skunked so an emergency trip to the groomer was the first stop for the foster parents. The adoption day was 2 days later and I couldn’t sleep. I almost didn’t go thinking I would never be the one to get him. When we arrived there was a problem with his foster parents and they weren’t even sure he was going to be there–bummer. We petted lots of dogs and then I turned around and I saw a woman petting MY dog! With that instant reaction I knew that he was the one. :( I rushed over and sat down next to him. Very soon afterwards I had the leash in hand and I didn’t let it go until he was officially mine! :) He did have some health problems from being on the run but after several vet visits he gained weight and has been doing very well. The vet estimated his age at between 1 and 2 so we agreed on 18 months. The thought of adopting a Springer came from a cointest so I ran a cointest to help me name him and he became Baba O’Riley—Riley for short—after the song by The Who.

Riley when I brought him home. The groomer cut his fur very short because of the mats and the skunk.

4488eac8-cf11-4940-a6d2-15b0834259a6.jpg

Riley now. I let his fur grow out a bit more.

2bd9358b-d78a-454b-9db7-47e8bf404aa7.jpg

Riley the GeoDog has been to a few events and has done some caching but I couldn't find a picture of me and him there since I am the one who takes most of the pics so here is a typical evening with Riley, Molly and me after caching in the park!

d0b3a9fc-880d-4d74-86df-93e0441f31f8.jpg

Yes petfinder.com really does work…….

Edited by LadyBee4T

I looked, and sadly I have no pictures of Logan and Heineken with me. I did find a picture of my wife Kathy with our first dog, Brandy, also a mini schnauzer.

We were actually the third home for Brandy. The first family had little ones that would pull on his tail and ears, finally he snapped at one of them (way to go Brandy,) and was returned to the kennel as a bad dog.

I saw an ad in the pittsburgh press showing hime for sale, but he had already gone to home number 2 before I got a chance to call...this time an older lady who wanted a lap dog (Brandy was still a puppy, with a puppy's energy and playfullness.) Again, bad dog, returned to kennel.

I got the call he was available again, and drove to Pitt that weekend to see him. I called him over to me, but he was much too busy playing with a cat that had wandered into the kennel area, to be bothered. Eventually, he made his way over to me, let me pet him, and fell asleep in my arms. We went to his forever home that day.

Brandy died 8 years ago,,,I'll remember him as the dog that loved me the most. I caught him and Kathy alseep on the couch one night, his head on her shoulder...the picture is below.

IMG_NEW-9.jpg

ILYK
Edited by drneal

When I read the rules of having the cacher in the picture, I had no photos of Stella caching with me, as she usually enjoys snoozing in the car. I did have a few of my husband out walking with our old Buford, as I searched for the cache. Since we had a small litter due, I decided to wait til they arrived and show you the puppies - well, here they are - fresh as can be - born at 8:40 and 9:40 this AM.

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

When I read the rules of having the cacher in the picture, I had no photos of Stella caching with me, as she usually enjoys snoozing in the car. I did have a few of my husband out walking with our old Buford, as I searched for the cache. Since we had a small litter due, I decided to wait til they arrived and show you the puppies - well, here they are - fresh as can be - born at 8:40 and 9:40 this AM.

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! I want one (but I can't :D )! Those are adorable!!!! How sweet is that?

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

Boy when he asked for puppies you really did have some for sure!!! So cute! Thanks for the pictures from the proud "parent" :D

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

Congrats to you hollora and to the new mommy!

Will you be keeping both of them?

You are probably very excited today :D

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

BOXERS!!! Hooray! Congrats! :D

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

They are adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Yes, I am very proud - haven't whelped a litter in over 10 years.

No, these little Boxers are all spoken for and won't be staying with us! :D Their Daddy was featured in the AKC Gazette in January.......Dr. Leo. We hope their noses are as good as Dads.

The cointest is a random draw - so that makes it fun. Everyone shares their beautiful dogs (puppies) and we all get to drool. What could be better! :D

Perhaps there should be a cointest for cat owners next. :blink:

Cache on - cache happy!

:laughing: This has to be one of my most favorite threads. Nothing but a love fest for our 'bestest' :) buddies. Lot's of great looking pooches! Keep the pics a comin' :laughing:

Glad you're enjoying the thread, but I don't think any of us have seen you and your puppies yet...cmon, tsun, show us them puppies!

ILYK

GEDC0028edit2.jpg

Thanks for the cointest!

OMG! How sweet!!! wub.gif They are about the size Moxie was when we got her at 8 weeks old! Please keep us posted with pictures as they grow! Boys, girls? We need more info woman! Congratulations to both you and the mama! :)

Three years ago I was holding this sweet puppy in my arms. Something I couldn't do for a very long time though. :laughing:

wyatt3mois.jpg

Today, Wyatt Earp celebrated its 3rd anniversary. He got a new Kong and many treats. He also received many good wishes from its smilefriends in the OT. :laughing:

wyatt3ans.jpg

Here we are together side by side after blowing the candles :)

clairewyatt.jpg

For those who wonders what's written on my t-shirt it says, ¨My best friends have hairy legs¨ :laughing:

Gosh I have loved this cointest! I enjoyed looking at each and every beautiful dog (and their owners). Thanks for doing this. I keep meaning to take a new picture but haven't found the time it still gets dark just too early after work. So I am linking to our avatar and hopefull it will show big enough to actually see us.

Hubby Bob, me

Furkids Pepper who is 11 and Tucker who is 2 who get extremely excited when the see the geobag out!

8e217a8e-74ca-4c76-b4d4-05d16c34492f.jpg

I don't think I can beat hollora out, lol. It's too tough to go up against brand new puppy babies :laughing: I want another one :laughing: Not an "Official" entry but got to show off the pooches and I'll bring out the cute, puppy Tristin pics and the last one is a "special" pictures.

2nd day at his new Montana home :laughing:

c4b23bc4-f207-4029-808a-93b79e9e15de.jpg

My mommies feet smell soooo good. :laughing:

12ae97b4-be2b-493b-9082-87466f3e8f27.jpg

d8da4b15-7bb6-47f2-846f-94191ef22a49.jpg

I love football just like my mom :laughing:

5f1c4cc3-8964-4d33-b73f-5c1c20f4fbeb.jpg

My first snow and I loved it!

71457c32-6e6e-439c-a637-36e90748551c.jpg

Me playing with my sister Dakota and my brother Cowboy. Cowboy had snow all over his nose. This was also my first day in the snow playing. Yippie!

bb1be210-2587-4bfb-80e8-7f435d4c1de4.jpg

I don't think I can beat hollora out, lol. It's too tough to go up against brand new puppy babies :laughing: I want another one :laughing: Not an "Official" entry but got to show off the pooches and I'll bring out the cute, puppy Tristin pics and the last one is a "special" pictures.

I love football just like my mom :lol:

Me playing with my sister Dakota and my brother Cowboy. Cowboy had snow all over his nose. This was also my first day in the snow playing. Yippie!

Awhhh, thump, thump - them doggies are all so cute! :laughing:

I love football just like my mom :laughing:

Thanks for showing us Them Puppies!

ILYK&B>>>TATB

I have mentioned my springer Abbey a couple of times now so I thought I should post her picture also. I adopted her from a shelter at age 3 and lost her at age 9. I have been thinking more and more about her because the anniversary is coming up. I only took her caching a couple of times because she was so interested in the good smells in the woods that it made it very difficult for me to cache alone with her. She had her picture taken with a lot of dog related TBs though.

Abbey50805edit.jpg

So here's a picture of me and.........

9ad3111b-8cf0-4184-8cde-9d6528bf8ef6.jpg

James! This was taken just a few days after I lost Abbey. Who is James you might ask? He is quite the celebrity as he won Best in Show at Westminster Dog Show in 2007. I told them I had just lost my springer and they let me pet him. Of course I cried ......

Ok, all right, it has to be a picture of me and my dog. I can't find many pictures of me and Abbey so here is one. I decided not to edit out my head because of the bad haircut because you want a picture of me and the dog. So please just look at the dogs <_< The sheltie is Sgt Pepper. I lost him at the ripe old age of 17.

aeb3ee6b-b854-45e8-b051-827f524f713b.jpg

Pepper has his own travel bug but unfortunately its has been in the hands of uscgstationsanjuan who picked it up on their first cache find and hasn't dropped it in 8 months now.

71d8372c-386a-4213-8b38-e12c87b7b112.jpg

I love looking at this thread and especially the "action" shots. I hope now that I have bumped it up that there will be more pics posted!

Edited by LadyBee4T

I don't know if she meant that kind of pictures when LadyBee4T asked for action shots, I think so :D

Here I am with Wyatt Earp during an agility trial last fall. He really enjoys that sport since he can run and do all kind of obstacles :D

wyattagiliteterrebonne2.jpg

The first obstacle I thaught him in my basement during the winter were the weave poles.

wyattagiliteterrebonne1.jpg

We really had a good time that day and, on top of that we came home with 2 qualifying runs :(

I have been doing agility since 1993 and I still enjoy it a lot. Wyatt is my 3rd agility dog and let me tell you that I have to run real fast to keep up with him on an obstacles course <_<

Jasmine the Geodog. She has been a wonderful member of our family for the last 3 1/2 years with the last two as a Geocaching companion.

Here she is on the rocks of Frank Slide in southern Alberta at a Moun10Bike cache GC1138

bff6fcc0-30a9-468a-9732-6efef11e7173.jpg

Our regal looking Jaz at a Glacial Erratic Earthcache on Nosehill in Calgary, Alberta

88c0afeb-536f-46dd-8e91-ff68e242931c.jpg

After a tough day of geocaching......

7676aea8-3f59-42b8-9265-b11523916ba7.jpg

Our Jasmine is a walking TB and gets logged at various events around Calgary. Check her out here - TB1H64C

Thanks for the great puppies cointest. Nice to see everyones four-legged caching companions.

Sorry, I'm not as photogenic as the dogs but I just realized that you wanted humans included so here you go...

Ginger and I at a Classic K9 Agility competition:

dogwalkjumps.jpg

Niagra Falls with Ginger:

Ginfalls.jpg

Us (me, Ginger, and Pooch) on a hike with a Dog Scout troop:

octhike2sm.jpg

A newer photo, from our last vacation, Summer 08 (Wisconsin)

meginger.jpg

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Yes, I am very proud - haven't whelped a litter in over 10 years.

No, these little Boxers are all spoken for and won't be staying with us! <_< Their Daddy was featured in the AKC Gazette in January.......Dr. Leo. We hope their noses are as good as Dads.

The cointest is a random draw - so that makes it fun. Everyone shares their beautiful dogs (puppies) and we all get to drool. What could be better! :D

Perhaps there should be a cointest for cat owners next. :(

Cache on - cache happy!

Patience grasshopper!

IMG_NEW_0001-2.jpg

Dogs rule, cats drool!

ILYK