Caches that aren't maintained

Dedmedic

Hello Cachers...We have a cache owner in our area that does not maintain the cache hides they put out. Several have been muggled and despite a flurry of DNF's and Maintenance needed cause its not there, they caches still remain as active. I have even sent messages to this cache owner and offered to adopt a cache that I could easily maintain because its wet and the logged entries complain of it needing maintenance because of wet log. Cachers know that when you hide the cache you agree to maintain it...including archiving it if you are unable to do the upkeep. they are apparently still alive because its only been a few weeks since they last logged in...but the lack of maintenance has gone on for many months. Isn't there anything that can be done by Geocaching.com? Some of the hide areas are nice and because of their missing caches...nothing can be placed there.

Somewhat of an offshoot of this topic.

Is it MY responsibility to maintain YOUR cache?

Should I be carrying around spare log sheets and baggies?

Or should I just report that the cache needs maintenance?

I would like the opinion of the community.

We actually do carry spare baggies and even spare logs and I dont mind leaving another log if I find one that is full or even wet and we leave a note when we post that it had a problem. But that stuff is in our Swag trade bag and we dont always carry that to a log only cache. Muggled caches, leaky containers however get a maintenance notification and goes beyond courtesy maintenance.

Hello Cachers...We have a cache owner in our area that does not maintain the cache hides they put out. Several have been muggled and despite a flurry of DNF's and Maintenance needed cause its not there, they caches still remain as active. I have even sent messages to this cache owner and offered to adopt a cache that I could easily maintain because its wet and the logged entries complain of it needing maintenance because of wet log. Cachers know that when you hide the cache you agree to maintain it...including archiving it if you are unable to do the upkeep. they are apparently still alive because its only been a few weeks since they last logged in...but the lack of maintenance has gone on for many months. Isn't there anything that can be done by Geocaching.com? Some of the hide areas are nice and because of their missing caches...nothing can be placed there.

After you have sent the cache owner a courtesy email and have placed a needs maintenance log on the cache page, all with no action, you can post a needs archived log on the cache page. That will bring the issue to the attention of the area volunteer reviewer who will contact the cache owner about the situation. If all else fails, the volunteer reviewer may archive the cache page. But please take the courtesy route first.

Will I replace a log for a cache behind the local supermarket?

No! The owner can fix it or archive it.

Will I replace a log/baggie for a cache that is six miles up a mountain trail?

Heck yes, and I would hope to get the same courtesy from the other area cachers. Of course, the answer to your specific question is no. It is not your responsibility to maintain someone else's cache. Should you carry extra logs and baggies? Entirely up to you. I never hike without them. On the rare days that I do urbans, they stay in the backpack in the back seat of the car, but I very seldom use them.

After you have sent the cache owner a courtesy email and have placed a needs maintenance log on the cache page, all with no action, you can post a needs archived log on the cache page. That will bring the issue to the attention of the area volunteer reviewer who will contact the cache owner about the situation. If all else fails, the volunteer reviewer may archive the cache page. But please take the courtesy route first.

Thanks for the answer. I was not aware of that feature on the log options.

....Is it MY responsibility to maintain YOUR cache?

Nope. Not at all.

Should you? If you are nice, and enjoy helping folks out? Sure why not.

Active cache ownes know from your log. Inactive cache owners won't. The only time you really need to use the NM log is to warn off other finders that the cache has a problem that gets in the way of finding it. A damp log isn't a maintenance crisis.

Nope. Not at all.

Active cache ownes know from your log. Inactive cache owners won't. The only time you really need to use the NM log is to warn off other finders that the cache has a problem that gets in the way of finding it. A damp log isn't a maintenance crisis.

Thanks...all this is good info.

I agree that we should not maintain others cache.

But...what about that nano that has a full log...

Replace the log...what do you do with the old one?

Nope. Not at all.

Thanks...all this is good info.

I agree that we should not maintain others cache.

But...what about that nano that has a full log...

I think you may have missed the point just a bit. Yes, we should be ready and willing to maintain other's caches but we do not have any requirement to do so beyond wanting to contribute to the game and keep it fun for others. When I replace a log I try to contact the owner and give them the option of having me return it to them or not.

Let's see,,,, I've replaced logs, pens, containers, and have even purchased containers for a caches I didn't want archived because it was a favorite and the container was destroyed or muggled.

Nope, wasn't my responsibility - I just did it.

A few baggies, a couple pens and a couple repair items don't take up that much space in my bag and don't add much weight at all.

I find it pretty easy to help fellow cachers out when needed, but then again, I don't take myself so seriously as not to help fellow cachers out when needed - it's just a game/hobby.

There seems to be a few caches like that around this area (Thankfully I'm going home tomorrow),

6-8 Months since the last find, 5 or 6 DNF's since then and the cache owner (Who is still Active) cant even bother posting a note? Much less going out and actually replacing the cache or confirming its still in place. Cant wait to go home to where the Cache is Greener!

(Side note, I did have fun during our month here near Fresno, The number of un-inspired "Micro's Thrown in a Spider Infested Bush Next to a Busy Intersection" VS The number of Fun, Thoughtful and Creative caches is just higher than I enjoy)

I try to carry some logs and baggies. I have replaced many logs even the occasional nano with a full log.

One thing I have noticed is that many people will not put in their online log that the log is full, or at least close to full.

If the cache is a regular then you can just drop an additional log into the cache. If it is a small or micro then I take the log with me. I then scan the log into my computer and post it as a picture on the cache page. I also do the same with my own caches. Then you can see who has been signing the log. Oh wait that's another thread.

I have plenty of baggies and I carry a huge box of golf pencils. If the cache needs any of these supplies then I leave them. I do it out of courtesy and my desire to make things a bit better for the next guy.

No its not your responsibility to replace logs or do anything courteous. It's also not your responsibility to hold the door open for a lady. So its your decision.

...But...what about that nano that has a full log...

...do not have any requirement to do so beyond wanting to contribute to the game and keep it fun for others. When I replace a log I try to contact the owner and give them the option of having me return it to them or not.

Likewise.

As for the cache, if I can't sign the log because it's full it still doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the find. Heck it saves me the trouble of actually having to sign the thing. I'm more of an online log person.

There seems to be a few caches like that around this area (Thankfully I'm going home tomorrow),

6-8 Months since the last find, 5 or 6 DNF's since then and the cache owner (Who is still Active) cant even bother posting a note? Much less going out and actually replacing the cache or confirming its still in place. Cant wait to go home to where the Cache is Greener!

(Side note, I did have fun during our month here near Fresno, The number of un-inspired "Micro's Thrown in a Spider Infested Bush Next to a Busy Intersection" VS The number of Fun, Thoughtful and Creative caches is just higher than I enjoy)

SPIDER INFESTED BUSH....now thats a GREAT cache name....perhaps a rubber spider with a micro inside? :(

Isn't there anything that can be done by Geocaching.com? Some of the hide areas are nice and because of their missing caches...nothing can be placed there.

Nothing can be done by them if they don't know about it. Issue a needs maintenance log. If it is ignored, then issue a should be archived log. The reviewer will see that and take a look at the cache.

Another problem with hitting the Needs Maint button is this attribute tends to not get reset.

I've recently noticed some perfectly good hides are not on my hitlist because they are marked as Need Maintenance. A PM to the owner got one reset, but another is owned by someone who hasn't cached in 2 years....Is there a way for someone else to reset the NM attribute?

(guess I'll have to change my Pocket Queries)

Nope. Not at all.

I'm pretty active, but sometimes I don't read all of the logs posted to my caches. Sometimes a group of 5 will find 10 of my caches in one day. After reading 3 or 4 TFTC logs, I don't always read the rest of the Found It logs, but a Needs Maintenance log or a DNF I will read. So I'd hope cachers would post NM even for simple problems!

No, it isn't anyones responsibility to maintain other peoples caches. Do you HAVE to add a new logbook if the one in the cache is full? No, but if you have one with you, why wouldn't you?

Nope. Not at all.

I'm pretty active, but sometimes I don't read all of the logs posted to my caches. Sometimes a group of 5 will find 10 of my caches in one day. After reading 3 or 4 TFTC logs, I don't always read the rest of the Found It logs, but a Needs Maintenance log or a DNF I will read. So I'd hope cachers would post NM even for simple problems!

I agree. NM logs are a useful tool, not a personal affront to the cache owner as some people seem to think.

I may miss it if someone mentions in passing in his log that my logbook is full, but if he posts a NM it catches my attention. Also NM logs are helpful to me because I can periodically run a PQ on my caches to check for NM logs in case I missed one. I wish more people would use them.

I find the world to be a better place when good deeds are done without thought of recompense. I recently had the experience of receiving help from neighbors presumably because it was the right thing to do. In a curious twist of fate both of their wells silted up in a recent flood and they come to my house for water. One carries it away in jugs and with the other we directly linked our water supplies together with a garden hose. Karma? It's your guess.

If you feel the cache should be archived, then post it. I have archived caches because whiners have complained they were not up to their standards or a puzzle cache did not link to some puzzle checking site. I guess I have little tolerance for people with a whole lot of take and no give. Curiously enough on all of the caches that all of the great caches I archived over the years not a single person has gone and placed another cache there even though they were great and unique spots.

Edited by JohnX

I like to think that, for the most part, an act of kindness is a good thing.

If you wade out 4 miles into a swamp, in search of one of my hides, and replace the logbook, I will send lots of karma your way.

If all you do is post a find saying the log is full, I'll still send you some karma, though maybe not as much. :D