How many cachers worldwide? Need answer quick!

Does anyone know a source for determining how many geocachers play the game worldwide? I'd also like to know how many countries have active caches - wikipedia says only "more than 100".

Feel free to make that 'over 200'. Something like 218 seems like a nice number.

When I started caching a couple years ago, the stats at the bottom of the home page included the number of countries. That number is no longer there.

Two or three years ago it read something like 475,000 active caches, in 221 countries worldwide. The number of active caches would occasionally change, but the 221 countries stayed the same.

Wonder why TPTB dropped the statistics on the number of countries?

Does anyone know a source for determining how many geocachers play the game worldwide? I'd also like to know how many countries have active caches - wikipedia says only "more than 100".

I need the information for a presentation to a scout troop on Tuesday - Any help would be appreciated!

I would expect that Groundspeak is a source but that they will not give you the information you seek. For your presentation purposes I would think that a statement that alludes to hundreds of thousands of cachers Worldwide and hundreds of thousands of geocaches Worldwide should be specific enough.

Feel free to make that 'over 200'. Something like 218 seems like a nice number.

To find out for sure you could go t the Hide and Seek a Cache page and select each country in the list. You can probably make a safe assumption about whether most of the countries have at least one geocache but there are lots in the select list which don't. I recently used the search by country feature to find where (or if) caches were located in Ethiopia as I'm very likely going to be traveling to Addis Ababa on business at the end of March. Turns out there is one in between the airport and where I would be staying. The other three are over 250 miles away including one at an active volcano.