Have you ever stummbled apon a GeoCache by mistake?

Turtle_Sask

Hi I was wondering, has anyone joined this hobby by simply finding one of these caches by mistake? I know that you can print off the paper that says "Hi if you found this by mistake... visit geocaching.com". Has anyone ever done that? I think there might be some cool stories out there! :)

Not quite, but my wife and I did help two cachers (we helped as mugglers) find a cache while we were out on a photo-shoot one day. That helped start us in the hobby.

Edited by wkmccall

Hi I was wondering, has anyone joined this hobby by simply finding one of these caches by mistake? I know that you can print off the paper that says "Hi if you found this by mistake... visit geocaching.com". Has anyone ever done that? I think there might be some cool stories out there! :o

That's us! :)

We discovered geocaching by accidently finding a cache on a bridge out in the country.

Before geocaching, our favorite thing to do was simply drive the rural back country roads enjoying the sights and stopping from time to time at neat places. After discovering the cache we ran out and bought a GPSr. Now we get to combine our love of road trips with finding caches!

I found one when I was looking for a place to hide a cache. It was under the stage of an abandoned amphitheater in the middle of the woods. I was crawling about underneath and spotted the perfect place for an ammo box. Sure enough, there was an ammo box. It turned out that it was the final stage of a multi cache that began a few miles away.

That's it for geocaches. I have accidentally discovered a few letterboxes while looking for geocaches.

Like briansnat, I've found a cache while looking for a hide spot.

The cache I found was never published, I assume it was hidden during a period of about 18 months when that land manager put a moratorium on new cache placements. I left it, as the carpenter ants had made a home in it. I guess you could call it trash, or you could see it as habitat.

I've found a number of letterboxes while hunting caches and once while cleaning up trash at a CITO event. I wasn't looking for any of them.

Several years ago while hiking around on a series of trails where there are no several geocaches I stumbled upon an orienteering waypoint. That really didn't have anything to do with getting into geocaching a few years later though. I would like to try and find that spot again though as there was an interesting stone foundation near the waypoint that would make for a good spot to hide a cache.

I indirectly got into caching because a friend of mine in Florida stumbled on to one while running in the woods. I guess it wasn't covered very well. He emailed me about the website and went out and found one near here. Yes I've also found a number of letterboxes by accident over the years.

We haven't found one by accident yet, but friends of ours (who got us into geocaching) found one "blind". They were at a beautiful look out point in the San Fernando Valley enjoying the view with a almost sunset, when they started talking about how this area would make a great cache site. They then said that there had to be one here already, so they started looking around. Sure enough, 15 minutes later they found a cache "blind".

Would you call that a deliberate-accidental find? :D

Oh my husband just reminded me that we recently found a old archived-forgotten & left in place cache in an area where a newly placed cache was at. We noted on our log that the "new" cache had a wet log sheet. So the CO went to the site to check it out & "found" the old geocache. The CO was kind enough to tear out the 'old wet' log and tape it to the "new" cache. I did go back the next day to find the correct one & resign the new log. :lol:

Edited by Team O-Zone

Not Geocaches, but there's a similar game going on, named "cistes" and yes, we've stumbled upon at least half a dozen cistes while trying to locate the Geocache we were after!

Do you know if there is a website for this? I cannot find anything in english on the web about it.

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT!

Edited by Freekacher

What is a letter box?

Letterboxing is an outdoor pursuit with similarities to orienteering.

A small pot (the letterbox) containing a stamp and visitors' book is hidden on the moor, and a clue is written to lead others to its position. Clues may be as simple as a map reference and list of compass bearings, or may be more cryptic.

When a letterbox is found, the letterboxer takes a copy of the stamp, as well as leaving their own personal print in the visitors' book.

Letterboxing began on Dartmoor but is now popular in areas all over the world.

Dartmoor Letterboxing

I have stumbled into a couple of caches while looking for other caches. One was a mystery cache and one was a multi. They were both hidden before we had to provide additional waypoints on the cache page and some new caches accidentally gotten hidden very close to them by a different reviewer. Two of the mystery caches were only 16 feet apart! It was fun getting a double bonus find like that!

I had been trying to tell a friend of mine about the game and he was interested but had not had the time. He then stumbled across a cache accidentally and called me the next day wondering what he does next to log the cache and to get into the game. He has since found two others (last time I checked) and one of them was one of my hides which became his first FTF.

Hi I was wondering, has anyone joined this hobby by simply finding one of these caches by mistake? I know that you can print off the paper that says "Hi if you found this by mistake... visit geocaching.com". Has anyone ever done that? I think there might be some cool stories out there! :lol:

Thats exactly how I got into geocaching. Sat down near one to take a breather on a trail Arkansas and there it was. We signed the logbook, logged it online and the rest is history.

My son (a cacher) found what has to be part of a multi while exploring a rock wall while camping with his Boy Scout Troop. He signed the log explaining how he happened to find this cache (or part of a cache). We figure it's part of a multi because he returned to camp, borrowed his father's GPSr and returned to the rock wall to mark the location. A search on gc.com turned up nothing at those coords. A further search turned up a multi in the area. We plan to return this spring a find the whole thing.

I have found 2 caches while looking for hiding spots for caches. The first was puzzle cache I had figured out but was waiting to find since I was trying to find my 100th virtual, multi, and mystery cache in the same day. I was behind in my multi cache finds.

The other one I am glad I found as no one seems to be able to figure out the puzzle and you need to find that cache and 2 others to get the coords for a 4th cache.

I began Caching on feb 2 09 (yes, not long ago at all)

Why? Because me and a friend found a Cache by accident. I'd heard of Geocaching before, so I knew what this strange ammo box we found was once we looked closer at it.

After actually seeing one, I thought it was such a cool idea, that the two of us (my friend being Ozzman9292) started caching together every chance we get.