First time hunting

redjada

Went out to try to find GCM0DN today with my Garmin street pilot. I know its not the proper unit to use for hunting but it got me there. I was walking with it and got with in 4 feet. Now, the ground is snow covered and I know it could be any where. But from the clues given and the Sat. map. Im pretty sure it was under the bridge.

Being very new at this. How do you know if the Cache is still active?

Went out to try to find GCM0DN today with my Garmin street pilot. I know its not the proper unit to use for hunting but it got me there. I was walking with it and got with in 4 feet. Now, the ground is snow covered and I know it could be any where. But from the clues given and the Sat. map. Im pretty sure it was under the bridge.

Being very new at this. How do you know if the Cache is still active?

If you got the GC # right, you are talking about Silver Springs Load by Team Cache Quest. It's a three part Multi. It's listed as a regular size cache, but the first two stages are micro's. I really HATE when cache owners do that. Starting out with a micro size container bumps the level of difficulty significantly. Consider finding a few others first, and come back to this one later.

But to answer your actual question. A cache can be ACTIVE, DISABLED, or ARCHIVED. Archived cached are not visible on a cache listing index. Disabled caches are visible on the index with a line drawn through the cache name. And on the cache page you will see, Cache Issues: This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache. If a cache is listed on the index without a line through the name, and without the red text disclaimer on the cache page it is an active cache. Of course you should read the most recent logs to see if any issues have been noted.

At the moment, this is the closest to you example of a Disabled cache (eventually this will be fixed and re-activated, or it won't get fixed and will be archived. Maple Lawn Cemetery

Edited to include a currently disabled cache example.

Edited by Cardinal Red

First off, Welcome to the addiction oops, I mean fun.

According to the web page it is still active. Unless it shows as disabled, it is active.

Not being familiar with that specific one, I can't give you any hints about how close you were, etc. But, I would note that this is a multi-stage cache & the stage 1 container is a micro. I would check the hints too. That should give some more assistance.

Edited by DiamondDaveG

First off, Welcome to the addiction oops, I mean fun.

According to the web page it is still active. Unless it shows as disabled, it is active.

Not being familiar with that specific one, I can't give you any hints about how close you were, etc. But, I would note that this is a multi-stage cache & the stage 1 container is a micro. I would check the hints too. That should give some more assistance.

Well, I guess I just wanted to get the big one first. I guess we have some learning to do. But it was nice to get out and look. Even though there is still about a foot of snow, but temps are around 50. Had fun trying.

I was tempted to head out myself. Not sure when we will see this temp again.

If I were you, I would try either Bow Wow Beach or Another Silver Springs Cache first. Both of them are singles, with similar difficulty but both are 'small' instead of trying to find a 'micro' under the snow.

The Bow Wow Beach page lists other caches in the park too.

- edited because fat fingers caused a spelling error. yeah that's it. -

Edited by DiamondDaveG