British Out of Towner coming to Seattle for a few days. Get together event?

FunLovingGeocacher

Hello every one, I'm a British Geocacher who is coming to the states for a few weeks in April/May

I've going to be in Florida to visit some friends there, then travelling on my own via Seattle and New York.

Rather than hanging out on my own I thought it would be good one evening to put on a local geocaching get together event, so anyone local cachers can come along, share a beer or two and some geochat? TB's and coins can be dropped off for the international travel, via my suitcase.

I'm also in town to find the Project APE cache and the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit, as well as doing some touristy stuff in your fine city.

I'm from the West Midlands of England, not far from the birth place of both Ozzy Osbourne and William Shakespeare.

So how about it?

Welcome! Let us know when you decide which days you will be here!

And what part of Seattle you are staying in.

Check out the pinned thread at the top of Northwest section titled 'Coming to the NW for a visit?'.

Also check out Northwest Classics bookmark list for some more cache suggestions. Depending on the area you are staying we can suggest more local to that location.

Hello every one, I'm a British Geocacher who is coming to the states for a few weeks in April/May

I've going to be in Florida to visit some friends there, then travelling on my own via Seattle and New York.

Rather than hanging out on my own I thought it would be good one evening to put on a local geocaching get together event, so anyone local cachers can come along, share a beer or two and some geochat? TB's and coins can be dropped off for the international travel, via my suitcase.

I'm also in town to find the Project APE cache and the GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit, as well as doing some touristy stuff in your fine city.

I'm from the West Midlands of England, not far from the birth place of both Ozzy Osbourne and William Shakespeare.

So how about it?

First things first. Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea?

I'm staying in Downtown Seattle, a few blocks west of the tip of lake Union.

I will be sure to pop in to HQ to get "debriefed"

In answer to Douglas_Clan:

Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, or Chelsea?

No where near! I can see the West Bromwich Albion ground from my office window.

Re: evil 14lb bug, er... I think the plane would be lopsided if I put that in my luggage! :lol:

The Red Hook Brewery is half an hour drive (18.7 miles) - had a look at the website - real ales! I'm impressed. :D

I have an American cell phone sim which I'll activate nearer the time.

I arrive in Florida on 20th April then fly into Seattle midday Tuesday April 28th, and head off again to New York on Friday May 1st, afternoon.

So Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - Count me in!

... fly into Seattle midday Tuesday April 28th, and head off again to New York on Friday May 1st, afternoon.

Alrighty, I sniff another Red Hook Brewery gathering in the wind...or maybe that's just hops... :lol:

Quick poll from the locals who might attend - which evening most appeals to you:

Tue, Apr 28

Wed, Apr 29

Thur, Apr 30

Let me know, and I'll set up an event.

... fly into Seattle midday Tuesday April 28th, and head off again to New York on Friday May 1st, afternoon.

Alrighty, I sniff another Red Hook Brewery gathering in the wind...or maybe that's just hops... :lol:

Quick poll from the locals who might attend - which evening most appeals to you:

Tue, Apr 28

Wed, Apr 29

Thur, Apr 30

Thursday is out for me, but Tuesday and Wednesday are fine.

Tue, Apr 28

Wed, Apr 29

Thur, Apr 30

Thursday is out for me, but Tuesday and Wednesday are fine.

Same here.

Tue, Apr 28

Wed, Apr 29

Thur, Apr 30

Any of them can work - probably Wed is the best for me.

I'll have a week in florida before I meet you guys to acclimatise to America english!
Florida will teach you American Southern. That won't help at all when you come to the Pacific Northwest. :D

Doesn't everyone from New York and New Jersey retire in Florida? He's going to hear everything but PNW English, because we tend to stay here!

Dang, you beat me to it! As a native Southerner, I can affirm that Florida is NOT the true South; it is a retirement home for Yankees. ;)

Ozzy is a brummie - I'm from the black country - practically different states!. Similar but distinct.

OK, I had to look up brummie. Interesting, according to Wikipedia, a brummie won the Album of the Year Grammy last week. They also said Black Country dialect is quite different.

I also found Brummie and Black Country Slang words and phrases to be very funny(I guess it is really brummie slang). Speaking of rock stars, we have "Cherry Garcia" "Arse Cream".

Ozzy is a brummie - I'm from the black country - practically different states!. Similar but distinct.

OK, I had to look up brummie. Interesting, according to Wikipedia, a brummie won the Album of the Year Grammy last week. They also said Black Country dialect is quite different.

I also found Brummie and Black Country Slang words and phrases to be very funny(I guess it is really brummie slang). Speaking of rock stars, we have "Cherry Garcia" "Arse Cream".

Arse Cream:

51xTwskxqxL._SS500_.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist! B)

Arse Cream:

pic

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :mad:

My doc prescribes Desitin for other things besides diaper rash. Which reminds me of a joke:

Patient: I have a Strawberry stuck up my bum.

Doctor: I have some cream for that.

Sorry for the diverted thread. I have always been interested in English dialects ever since I worked in London fixing computers. The PBS series "The Story of English" is my all time favorite series.

So how about it?

Hey man

Just seen the post, I'm an expat Brit living in Everett and working at the UW in Seattle. I will definitely make this shindig.

You know you will need someone to act as an interpreter. Even after exposure to Ozzie on TV there will still be some communication difficulties. I'm originally from the south coast (near Worthing) so I can speak proper English. I go into a Starbucks and ask for a tall white chocolate mocha and the Barista always tries to charge me for two drinks.

Lookin forward to it.

Bill

Listening to Iron Maiden on Planet Rock...... UK internet classic rock radio.

So how about it?

Hey man

Just seen the post, I'm an expat Brit living in Everett and working at the UW in Seattle. I will definitely make this shindig.

You know you will need someone to act as an interpreter. Even after exposure to Ozzie on TV there will still be some communication difficulties. I'm originally from the south coast (near Worthing) so I can speak proper English. I go into a Starbucks and ask for a tall white chocolate mocha and the Barista always tries to charge me for two drinks.

Lookin forward to it.

Bill

Listening to Iron Maiden on Planet Rock...... UK internet classic rock radio.

Ha! After teasing a friend about the "brilliant" phrase "and Bob is your uncle" he replied "Hey it's our language and we'll do whatever we want with it" :laughing:

Ha! After teasing a friend about the "brilliant" phrase "and Bob is your uncle" he replied "Hey it's our language and we'll do whatever we want with it" :laughing:

Hey Marcus, when I go back to Southern Illinois especially Clay County, they do sound different. I still use a lot of the phases from when I was a kid back there. Took me a long time to quit saying Sant Louis. Dick

My first day at work in London 30+ years ago I was jet lagged and needed coffee. The person in front of me in the company cafeteria line ordered a "Scots Egg" and "White Coffee". My fuzzy jet lagged brain went into gridlock. "Maybe she said scotch" , "No, it definitely was Scots". I know black/white, yin-yang and black coffee what is white coffee? When the light went on I thought it was the coolest thing. Of course white coffee is with milk. It made perfect symmetrical sense. The yin and the yang of coffee. I still have no clue what that brown ball is that she got with the coffee.

My first day at work in London 30+ years ago I was jet lagged and needed coffee. The person in front of me in the company cafeteria line ordered a "Scots Egg" and "White Coffee". My fuzzy jet lagged brain went into gridlock. "Maybe she said scotch" , "No, it definitely was Scots". I know black/white, yin-yang and black coffee what is white coffee? When the light went on I thought it was the coolest thing. Of course white coffee is with milk. It made perfect symmetrical sense. The yin and the yang of coffee. I still have no clue what that brown ball is that she got with the coffee.

Google is your friend...A Scotch Egg