Is This A Good Idea?

Team Foxx

Hi,

I have a Travel Bug Hotel on private property! My grandparents and uncle own the building! They gave me permission to hide a cache there! I am going to put an UTZ Pretzel Container in the bushes and spray paint it gray! Then cover it with rocks! I want to install a lock on it so can I drill through the top and sides? I will have my Dad help me with the drilling but he is not very bright when it comes to ideas! Thats why they have me... lol just kidding! What do you think?

just between you, me, and the carpet, putting a lock on an utz pretzel container is kinda like a screen door on a submarine.

an utz pretzel container is easily opened with a mat knife, so if your idea is to keep it secure from non-geocachers, think about a sturdier container.

it you lock is part of a puzzle, by all means go ahead.

if you're locking a TB hotel as a puzzle, people will complain.

I found one like that. On someone's front porch. "Say Hi to Grandma." The combination is the house number. But, please reconsider the cache container! A pretzel jar is not too good a container to start with. Drilling a hole for a lock will make it far worse! Try an ammo can with a lock!

What was the cache called? What type of container was it??

Edited by Foxx1090

Can I ask, what is the reason for locking the ammo box? If it's for muggles, place the container in a location where muggles won't accidentally find it. If it's as a puzzle, like was said, this isn't the best idea for a bug hotel and you may hear a bit of flak about it!

I have a LOT of caches hidden, not one cache has a lock of any kind on it! Nor have I found many with locks, even puzzle caches.

Can I ask, what is the reason for locking the ammo box? If it's for muggles, place the container in a location where muggles won't accidentally find it. If it's as a puzzle, like was said, this isn't the best idea for a bug hotel and you may hear a bit of flak about it!

I have a LOT of caches hidden, not one cache has a lock of any kind on it! Nor have I found many with locks, even puzzle caches.

It dosen't have to be locked but I would like to just incase a muggle stumbles upon it. It is very rare because the Hotel is on private property in the bushes. It is 0.8 miles away from the highway so it is a good spot. I will swing by the hotel today and swipe it with the ammobox.

Isn't the puzzle the lock? Please, I am not Flaming.

I found a TB hotel recently that was a toolbox bolted to a fencepost hidden by a large bush. It normally has a lock on it but the owner had removed the lock for cleaning/lube etc. The combination to the lock was included on the cache page.

I know of another that is on top of a post in a hinged, locked wooden box. The lock combo is the number of windows, number of posts and the number of doors painted on the hotel. Inside is an ammocan cache.

Unless you are placing a cache in the desert, try to stay away from the pretzel jars.