Feature Request

n0wae

Hello,

Lately my Garmin nRoute program has been crashing when I try to import my PQ. I traced the problem to GC1K8ZM with a cache Hidden date of 12/31/1901. Apparently the year is causing problems with nRoute. I've e-mailed the cache owner and asked for the mistake to be corrected. Would it be possible for the on-line cache report form to limit the dates entered to ovoid this problem?

In the past this has been identified as an issue for the Mac operating system, and intervention by a volunteer cache reviewer is needed to perform the date correction when it's not caught prior to publication. When brought to my attention, I typically choose the date of the "Published" log as the corrected hide date.

Thanks for the replies. This seems to be a re-occurring problem that I've dealt with before. Glad Groundspeak is aware of the problem. I too like the idea of locking down the code to limit the cache date input to within a window that won't cause other programs to crash. Thanks, n0wae

Glad Groundspeak is aware of the problem.

You must be reading a different thread than I am :)

Nate says "We actually are contacting these owners ourselves to update their cache dates"

Then Keystone, a reviewer, says, "this has been identified as an issue for the Mac operating system, and intervention by a volunteer cache reviewer is needed"

It sounds to me like Groundspeak is either in denial, or has no clue what the real issue is. Contacting the cache owner isn't going to fix the problem if he's using a Mac. Groundspeak needs to fix their existing code so users with Macs can actually enter a valid date.

We actually are contacting these owners ourselves to update their cache dates (as of about a week ago). We may decide to lock it down with code but we'd have no way of knowing the true date of placement.

I think we know that no geocaches were placed earlier than 2000. So it is a safe bet that any date earlier than that is a mistake. Seems like a simple database authentication rule could fix this problem.

Make sure you email Garmin too and ask them to fix the bug in their software. Computers have been around over 50 years, there's no excuse for something as simple as a valid date input causing a program to crash completely.

I've e-mailed this error report to Clyde and Garmin before. I believe GSAK has been improved on since then. Garmin on the other hand told me to delete and reload my Garmin program. :) I've done my part by reporting the issue to everyone again. I just feel sorry for the Geocachers out there that don't read the forums and haven't a clue of what is wrong with their failed import.