Buying a GPS Unit

thewalrus66

As a general rule, stay away from automotive type places. They generally just deal in the dash mount types that are geared more toward road navagation. Instead, check out the sporting goods stores in your area. Places like Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Moutain, and Bass Pro Shops are more likely to carry the handheld types more suited for caching. There is a Cabela's store just 15 minutes from my house, and that's where I purchased my Garmin 60CXs.

You can also find good deals if you have an account at Craigslist or Ebay as well. Just make sure that the person you're buying from has a reputable rating.

All of the above, plus Sports Authority, LL Bean, Dicks, Best Buy and Walmart.

Be aware that if you purchase your GPS in most stores you are likely going to pay top price. I was in a few popular camping supply stores yesterday and was aghast at the prices they were charging for their GPS units.

You can save a lot by shopping online. Amazon, Offroute, etc. By a lot I mean hundreds of dollars in some instances. For example the Garmin Colorado is $349 online on Offroute and it was $599 in two different stores that I visited and the Garmin Oregon 400t is $461 online on Amazon and it was $599 in every store I visited.

Edited by briansnat