Are there any Magellan GPS user Geocaching clubs?

wildkat12

So, I have asked and received help from a local Houston Geocaching group member who was very nice and helpful to me.

The thing is that, most everyone uses a Garman and Magellan seems to operate differently than Garman and I have not gotten my questions answered yet.

So, are there any Magellan Geocaching clubs in Houston?

If anyone knows of any, please let me know. Or, if anyone can help me understand how to set up to begin looking for a geocache site, I would appreciate any help.

I don't know difference between Waypoint, Geocache, route or trail.

Which comes first...waypoint or geocache ?

Does the letter/number used on GeoCache website represent the Geocache coordinates? (For example, GC 7JY8C) When I enter the letters/numbers of a Geocache, do the coordinates automatically get put in the GPS? If not, when I try to enter the coordinates from the page, none of the variations of coordinates are accepted by my GPS unit.

So, I have yet to get started enjoying this fun game of Geocaching.

What is waypoint to geocache? Do they "point the way" to the cache?

HELP !!!!!

I also geocache using a Magellan (model: Sportrak Color) and I'm quite fond of it. I've cached with other people that use Garmin GPS devices, but it always seems I able to enter waypoints quicker and easier then them, but that could just be me. Anyway, I doesn't really matter which GPS device you use, if it is a recent one it'll certainly be sufficient for geocaching. One piece of advice I can give is to read the manual as it contains a clear description of all the functionality, certainly for things like projecting a waypoint.

But, on to your questions:

- a waypoint or WP, is one point in a route, trail. So it is one single coordinate that you can enter into your GPS device so that it'll point you to that location.

- the letter/number combination for a geocache is just a unique number to identify to cache, but isn't in anyway related to the coordinates of the cache.

- a geocache can be a single WP, known as a traditional geocache, or a collection of WPs (usually involving some questions or assignment at each one), knows as a multi-cache.

- to be able to enter the coordinates giving in a cache listing (e.g.: N 50° 59.532 E 005° 07.998), you have to configure you Magellan to use to correct coordinate system, WGS84. This is mentioned in the manual and you'll only have to do it once. After this you can enter a WP, using the exact format used on the website.

I can't help you any further with the Houston geocaching clubs part as I'm from Belgium, although I've been in that neighbourhood some years ago, in the context of a student exchange program with Baylor University.

I also geocache using a Magellan (model: Sportrak Color) and I'm quite fond of it. I've cached with other people that use Garmin GPS devices, but it always seems I able to enter waypoints quicker and easier then them, but that could just be me. Anyway, I doesn't really matter which GPS device you use, if it is a recent one it'll certainly be sufficient for geocaching. One piece of advice I can give is to read the manual as it contains a clear description of all the functionality, certainly for things like projecting a waypoint.

- a waypoint or WP, is one point in a route, trail. So it is one single coordinate that you can enter into your GPS device so that it'll point you to that location.

- the letter/number combination for a geocache is just a unique number to identify to cache, but isn't in anyway related to the coordinates of the cache.

- a geocache can be a single WP, known as a traditional geocache, or a collection of WPs (usually involving some questions or assignment at each one), knows as a multi-cache.

- to be able to enter the coordinates giving in a cache listing (e.g.: N 50° 59.532 E 005° 07.998), you have to configure you Magellan to use to correct coordinate system, WGS84. This is mentioned in the manual and you'll only have to do it once. After this you can enter a WP, using the exact format used on the website.

I can't help you any further with the Houston geocaching clubs part as I'm from Belgium, although I've been in that neighbourhood some years ago, in the context of a student exchange program with Baylor University.

The above is essentially correct, with the exception that WGS84 is mapping datum, not a co-ordinate system.

I have a Triton 400 and usually answer questions about Tritons here.

Which Magellan do you have?

I, too have a Magellan Triton 400. Perhaps the problem is that I'm trying to set up a Geocache rather than a Waypoint. I don't know. I have 1) homebase and have worked to enter this one cache position which, as I said will not accept any coordinates. I have the datum set at WGS84.

I have read the manual over and over. I will go back and try to set the "geocache" spot as a "waypoint."

Thank you all for your help. I now feel less conspicuous and, Team Juniper, thank you for the detailed info.

Thank ALL of you for responding and helping.

SkellyCA, may I please call on you again. I really have read the manual, I guess I am slow but I have such a desire to get going on this - all of you please hang in there with me.

Good for you Team Juniper, Baylor is a great University !

Again, thank you all. I have a feeling I'll be back, however.

Call on me any time!

Here is the easiest way to get Caches into your unit; this will give you much more than just the coordinance!...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

I just want to say, a Big "thank you all, again" for your answers, your care and help.

I have sold the GPS unit back to the store (less restock fee) and, it is my decision to leave the Geocaching to those who are better at than I.

Messing with this thing for 15 days to no avail really took the wind out of my sails for this whole game.

Again, you all were wonderful and many kuddos. Happy caching : Urorious, Md Players, Michigan Cacheman, Briansnat, dandabradford. happy geocaching to all !!

I just want to say, a Big "thank you all, again" for your answers, your care and help.

I have sold the GPS unit back to the store (less restock fee) and, it is my decision to leave the Geocaching to those who are better at than I.

Messing with this thing for 15 days to no avail really took the wind out of my sails for this whole game.

Again, you all were wonderful and many kuddos. Happy caching : Urorious, Md Players, Michigan Cacheman, Briansnat, dandabradford. happy geocaching to all !!

You may want to pick up a good second hand Garmin unit with a high sensitivity receiver (since x-mas there seem to be more on the market) and try it again.

We start using the wrong GPSr and were pretty frustrated but my addictive personality forced me to continue and we have discovered the fun beneath the aggravation. :lol:

The hobby is not for everyone but is really a great way to get out side and meet some really nice (mostly) people.

It is too bad you had such struggles in the beginning as I have heard some very positive things about Magellan, such as the display of the cache on the screen, and that they may be working on a software fix for direct downloads from Geocaching.com but a Magellan user would know more then I.

The above is essentially correct, with the exception that WGS84 is mapping datum, not a co-ordinate system.

Not to start a flame war, but looking at wikipedia I'd say we're both kinda right :lol: because WGS84 consists of 3 things, a coordinate system, a datum (reference surface) and a gravitational equipotential surface.

@wildkat12: sad to see you quit, hopefully someday you'll try again because it really is like 'The Find Its' say: there's a lot of fun beneath the aggravation and all the cachers I know have at one time or another struggled with their GPS unit, whatever brand it was.

Edited by Team Juniper

I just purchased a Magellan Triton 1500, and it didn't come with a manual (other than an online version). That manual sucked. I've played with it enough since yesterday that I think I can get it to do what I want now, but that first day of messing with it sucked big time. if I had gotten more than 2.5 hours of sleep in the last 31 hours I'd probably have gone out and tried to find some of the caches near me.

I think the one thing that bugged me the most was having to DL each cache individually.

Good luck to you, and if you 9or anyone else) is in the North Country of New Hampshire look me up and we can go play.

I just purchased a Magellan Triton 1500, and it didn't come with a manual (other than an online version). That manual sucked. I've played with it enough since yesterday that I think I can get it to do what I want now, but that first day of messing with it sucked big time. if I had gotten more than 2.5 hours of sleep in the last 31 hours I'd probably have gone out and tried to find some of the caches near me.

I think the one thing that bugged me the most was having to DL each cache individually.

Good luck to you, and if you 9or anyone else) is in the North Country of New Hampshire look me up and we can go play.

As a premium member you can receive pqs from gc and load them into vantagepoint then load them into your 1500, a lot easier and faster then loading them by hand

So, are there any Magellan Geocaching clubs in Houston?

Yes, but since they are Magellan users they are all lost.... ;)

Gee, do you think these kind of "helpful" replies may be turning off some new people to this sport? Generally speaking I find geocachers to be very helpful and nice people. The exception comes when the Garmin gang finds out that you've chosen a GPS other than what they choose. Then they all jump on the bandwagon of bashing Magellans and making a person wish they'd never made a simple request. If they want to rant about how superior their Garmins are go to the GPS technology Forum and rant and rave there since it's certainly off topic to do so here when an OP asks for help. Some people need to learn that if they can't add something constructive to a persons call for help maybe they should just keep their opinions to themselves. Yeah, I know I won't be popular with the Garmin gang, but frankly I don't think I want to be part of a group that delights in kicking others when they're down. Replies like this remind me of bullies in a playground picking on people who find themselves in a weak position. When a person asks for help how about supplying help or staying out of it? So let me guess you folks who are doing this are trying to help. I doubt it!!! Yeah, the original OP is long gone now, but somebody else revived this thread because they needed some help and this is the type replies he gets. Way to go!

Edited by Michigan Cacheman