New in Kilgore Tx

LoraineHaley

Hi- Im new to this amazing world and have a megellan triton 400 that I dont know how to use. Ive found the instructions for my gps to be vague and nonspecific. I found my first cache by accident and didnt know what it was- started researching this weird little bottle of strange names on google and found this site, ran out and bought a gps and now.... What. Went out today and tried my skills, or lack of them. I think the problem is I dont know how to read the gps and am not finding it to be newbie friendly. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Loraine Haley LoraineFTW1971@aol.com

Hi- Im new to this amazing world and have a megellan triton 400 that I dont know how to use. Ive found the instructions for my gps to be vague and nonspecific. I found my first cache by accident and didnt know what it was- started researching this weird little bottle of strange names on google and found this site, ran out and bought a gps and now.... What. Went out today and tried my skills, or lack of them. I think the problem is I dont know how to read the gps and am not finding it to be newbie friendly. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Loraine Haley LoraineFTW1971@aol.com

Hey Loraine, Welcome to the game of geocaching. I think once you get it figured out, you will have a blast. Sorry, but I can not help you with the Magellan Triton. I know nothing about them.

BTW, I am just down the road from you in Lindale.

Hi Loraine! I use a Magellan eXplorist 500. Therefore I don't know how similar or different my GPS is to yours. However, I just finished sending another Magellan user instructions for his eXplorist and if you'd like I could copy and paste that message and send it to you in by E-Mail in case there might be enough similarity to be of assistance. I'd be happy to do that for you, however earlier tonight there was another user by the screen name of SkellyCA that mentioned in another log that he has that information saved for Tritons since the question has been asked so many times before. I'll send him a message and ask him if he'd be willing to provide you with the directions. I'll be happy to send what I can, but since my information is for an eXplorist I think it would be of some help, but I think the expert you'd be best getting the information from would be SkellyCA since he's familar with the Triton model. Let me know if you'd like me to send you the info on the Magellan eXplorist series and I will also see if I can get word to the real expert. Welcome to the hobby/obsession!!! :(

Id really appreciate the info from you or SkellyCA or both. Between the two maybe I could connect the dots in my mind. Man, Im really impressed by the responses and welcome Im getting on this site. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I just posted and you guys got the newbies back. Thanks Loraine Haley LoraineFTW1971@aol.com

Edited by LoraineHaley

Hello again. I will send you the information for an eXplorist and hopefully like you say it will help kind of connect the dots. I did send SkellyCA a message with the link to your question. I probably should not have mentioned his name but he did offer to help somebody earlier so I'm thinking there's a good chance he'd be willing to help you out too. You can expect an E-Mail in about 5 minutes. Welcome to the game! :(

Thanks a bunch! -Loraine

Sorry to keep posting over and over, but I just remembered something that may be helpful. When I got my Magellan eXplorist the owners manual that came in the box with the unit was a complete waste of time. I ended up going to Magellan's website and downloaded the users manual there (it's free to download so at least that's ok). The downloaded version of the owners manual for the eXplorist was much more helpful than the cheap few page printed one that came with the unit. Good luck! :(

Hi Lorraine,

I just got an email from Michigan Cacheman.

What excatly are you having trouble doing? Entering the cache info? Or actually pointing it to a cache to go find?

I have a Triton 400 and I really like it; it's easy to use once you figure it out.

Here is the basics of how to get the cache info into your triton...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

If you're not too good with written instructions and are better with the hands on stuff like I am, another avenue you might want to try is to see if there are any caching organizations in your local area. From time to time organizations like that will hold classes for beginners, usually called "Geocaching 101" or "Intro to Geocaching". At those classes, experienced cachers (with every kind of GPS imaginable) will show you how to go about using your Magellan both with your PC and out in the field. Pair up with one of them and they can walk you through the whole process. I took one of those classes with my 9 yr ols son last year, and it was invaluable.