COINTEST: Waitangi Day

Butterfly_lady

Here in New Zealand, today is Waitangi Day.

It is celebrated with re-enactments of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in the beautiful Bay of Islands.

Throughout the country there are family days.

And most workers get a holiday. Those who have to work get paid an extra rate.

And those who wish to visit cafes etc have to pay a surcharge.

COINTEST - WHAT TO DO

Until the end of 6th Feb (forum post time - see bottom left corner)

Research required.....

Find a New Zealand cache listing.

Tell me why you would like to do that cache - where is it?

What is special about that cache.

I'm looking for something that will help me decide where to cache next....

And it can be close to my home, or far away.

Anywhere in New Zealand.

Anyone posting an Australian cache is automatically disqualifed! :P:(

From this moment to end of the cointest you have 30 hours.

But ONLY ONE POST PER HOUR PER POSTER please.

Too easy!

GC15TB6 - All Black (Auckland)

This is an All Blacks themed cache -- If I ever get to New Zealand again, I will have to find this cache! I love rugby, and since Canada sucks at most team sports except hockey, I have always cheered for the All Blacks.

The cache is located in Aukland on the North Island, and is within sight of Eden Park, the main sports ground for rugby in Aukland. It hosted the first World Cup of Rugby Final in 1987 and will become the first park to host two finals when the World Cup returns in 2011.

GC1MCE9 - Kittyhawk Down (Wellington) is on North Island in the Harry Todd Recreation Reserve. It's a new cache, only hidden for 3 days. I wish this cache were closer. I have always been fascinated with aviation, especially military related aircraft and being able to explore the area where this aircraft went down would be fascinating. I would love to explore the entire area, it sounds and looks wonderful! (Coincidentally, it had the 2008 Kiwi coin for the FTF prize!)

Edit to add link

Edited by sunsetmeadowlark

I have always wanted to travel to New Zealand, so any cache there would be great. but I think this one looks very nice.

Driftwood Bay

I love caches that take you to out of the way places, and this one fits since you have to take a boat to get to it. plus from the pictures it looks like a beautiful spot.

Now all I need is a plane ticket to new Zealand and a boat!

Thanks for the cointest!

GCRCPV-Bealey made it (Southern Alps)

I choose this cache because it would be an EXTREME Challenge! I've never done a 5/5 cache before, but this one looks like a very beautiful one to do.

Located in South Island.

There's only one main way to get to this cache, which involves a ~1100m ascent from the valley floor. The track up through the trees is well marked, but quite steep. Further on above the bushline, the track is not very obvious, but follows a jagged ridge to the summit.

e4697c45-4723-47f9-926b-50763aa58500.jpg59e46df5-0da2-4c8e-8eb3-581b3ca072c4.jpg

dfd8fe8b-1771-4457-8402-061f5067bc34.jpgce678155-373c-4670-902a-13917baabb9b.jpg

Edited by Team CeDo

I would think that it is appropriate on this day to visit the closest cache to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, being Why Tangi? :( We travelled through that area last year caching (before that cache was placed) and thoroughly enjoyed visiting this important place. It really should be a place that every person visits once to gain a better understanding of their history and culture.

It is all about the location with this cache, rather than the cache container or journey. :P

Thanks for the comp.

mm

GC1M70R-Round Table help to (un)Locket (Auckland)

This is labled a puzzle cache,, but its more like a multi stage,, where you have to go one place to get the first cords,, and to the next for the second, and so on.. Ive never done one on purpose,, but there was a regular cache labled but it was a multi,, I found myself in the middle not meaning to ,, I enjoyed it very much,, its shure does break the walk and find caches.

why would i like to do this cache???,,, because its winter here and caching is few and far inbetween, so a good set up multi stage would scratch the itch for another day,, :(

GC100AH Devils Punchbowl (Southern Alps)

I choose this cache for the nice walk and absolutely breathtaking view as a reward at the end. This is a 2/3 Geocache so shouldn't be all that difficult.

Located in South Island, New Zealand

Great wee bush walk with a fantastic waterfall. The track is steep in places and has steep drop offs.

51d3de1d-f338-405a-ab06-9296d3b85846.jpg193f5084-ed73-465a-b422-2e713d9ce004.jpg

a316371c-3cd6-403d-8f6a-0308e8194839.jpg932aa83b-6a48-4769-8b28-e9758ea9b968.jpg

Edited by Team CeDo

I think a nice one for you to find and you will enjoy is, GC15VDP But is it Art.

You seem like the type of person that would enjoy Art.

I would also like to be able to visit this cache.

My brother was there a few months back with my Geo.error Smile Geocoin and i am sure the area is still infected with the smiles that follow this coin.

Remember when you find the cache enjoy the Art and SMILE.

I would probably choose GC1KM4H "Box o' Books."

It's a regular-sized cache near Auckland's Pakuranga Heights district which also serves as a "Crossover" cache for another Geocaching-like sport called BookCrossing. The books in the cache serve as "travel bugs" - you register a book you are done with online, bring it to the cache, swap one book for another from the cache, read it, then move it on to another location. For the non-book person, there are also an assortment of items and a logbook in the cache for geocaching purposes. This cache combines my favorite activities of geocaching and reading.

Also, I know this is different than many other cachers, but I do enjoy the "urban" caches because here in Arizona, USA, it's hard to find time to do others, and in the summers when it gets to be 120 degrees outside, it's nice to grab a quick couple caches outside an ice cream shop, then go in for a cool and tasty treat. This urban cache is a nice one because there are 32 other caches located within 2 miles of it. So it's perfect for a "numbers run" or a day of exploring the local businesses and amenities.

Good luck choosing a cache to try to find. I've never been to New Zealand myself, though it's on my list of things to do. I've heard it's very beautiful, and like many of the other responders here, I would love to hike there someday!

~TimeTraveler09

The first one I'd like to visit is a multi:

Antarctic Links

My husband wintered over in Antarctica (at McMurdo Station) from 1995-1996 (he's a retired US Navy weather forecaster). While he was waiting to take the flight going over, he stayed in Christchurch in a hotel across from the Christchurch International Airport. So I went looking for places that might have touched on his history there and found this cache, which is very germane indeed.

Were I to go to Christchurch, this is the first cache I'd find -- and hopefully, if he were with me, it's one he would enjoy doing too!

Edited to add: Thanks for the cointest, and happy Waitangi Day! : )

Edited by Jackalgirl

I really never had an opportunity to look at geocaches in New Zealand until I met and talked with a Kiwi here on the forums, I was replying to a question he had asked.

Before I replied I decided to check the profile and I am glad I did, I found some awesome geocaches.

This geocacher really hides some challenging high adventure factor caches and I think you will enjoy finding the one I have picked for you to find, it would be the one my family and I would go find in a heartbeat if we could afford a trip to New Zealand. :(

Our favourite family adventure so far has been a geocache hidden in the Sweetgrass Hills in northern Montana and the views were incredible, this geocache looks like it has the same type of incredible views and it is also on a mountain.

It was placed in November of 2008 and it is still unfound!

It is a long walk with a few scrambles but reading the cache description makes me think it could be done by most geocachers even though the terrain rating is high.

I really liked the description but my attention was captured by the name, that is what caught my eye and I will tell you why.

I was geocaching this winter on a bitterly cold day (-31C) and I visited a local geocache called Pipe Dreams and Crabapples. The geocache offered a second waypoint which was actually a geocache but just not listed on the site. The waypoint was called "Stairway to Heaven" and I went looking for it after finding the main geocache. I was the first to find this second waypoint, there was a nicely camoed container, it was very well hidden in a location that was entirely appropriate to the name selected.

When I saw your contest I remembered my conversation with this NZ geocacher and went to look for a geocache for you to find among the ones he has hidden...

So here it is

Stairway to Henry (Taranaki)

Even if I don't win I will be waiting to see your log on this geocache!!!

Thanks for the Cointest.

Edited by wavector

Recently our family had the chance to check out some Australia caves and I think we are cave people at heart!

I also like the opportunity that Earthcaches give me to teach the children about geology. This Earthcache GC19566 Rangitoto Lava Caves is quite different than the caves we've been to, plus it's on an island!

As we are living in Australia now, there is a high chance we may do this earthcache someday soon!

Lands End

This one would be my favourite cache. One of my travelbugs (it was a present for my Dad's 53 birthday) had the mission to travel to New Zealand and back. My Dad was in 2002 for a month in New Zealand to visit all our relatives who emigrated from Switzerland to New Zealand in the 1870ties. He did it for his project of a complete family tree on which he now is working for a good 30 years. One day I too will go to New Zealand and see as much of this country as possible and of course do some caching.

Another cache I would love to do is GCKF0Q, also located on the South Island. I do not believe that there are any night caches here in San Francisco, so it would be even more interesting for me to do it in a new country. Although I haven't done one, if you haven't either, it should be an amazing experience.

The Hole in the Rock

Earthcaches are almost always synonyms of awesome views! And you get to learn plenty of things about the place, its particularities, its geology. On a sunny day, this one is guaranteed to provide you stunning picture subjects.

Moreover, this cache is rated 5 star terrain. It seems like a fairly easy opportunity to get a 5 star cache and its sounds like a funny adventure rowing in there! The cache page is very well done and appealing and the cache would easily be my first stop there.

Fun stuff, earthcache, 5 stars and the cries of the sea birds all around you = win!

Thank you for the cointest!!! WOW! You have great caches there!!!!

I have never been to New Zealand... I wish to come one day! Well... when I do, you will know it! :P Since you have beautiful banknotes... :laughing:

I would like to visit a very special cache in New Zealand! I believe that it is a must visit cache!

I am talking about the GC46!!!

Yes! that's the code! It's name is "Geocache by Kevin Anderson (Wellington)".

It is the oldest cache in New Zealand, (It was placed on May 26th, 2000)!

Why?? This cache is one of the oldest in the world!!! It is No 17 in the list, but since many are achived, it is actually No 6!!!!

Who wouldn't like to visit one of the "ancients"??? :mad:

I do not know if you visited this cache my friend! If not... :(

Dear Butterfly_Lady, this is not an entry for the cointest, because there already is a nice Kiwi on it's way to me... :laughing:

But I have to enter this one: Three Volcanoes

Since I bought my first bunch of geocoins I hope my "Lord of the Caches" will travel to NZ to visit this area, because this is in sight of Mount Ngauruhoe, which has been the Mount Doom in the Lord of the Rings trilogy :(

(I see, you already visited this cache :P )

GC1M6GJ

1000 year old Rata (Bay of Plenty)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...97-827c22c7261f

Awesome looking trees. I would love to come and visit there sometime. These trees look so majestic that it is amazing. I wonder if living there they become just another thing. I know in North East Untied States we get the changing of color the leaves in the fall which brings tourists from all over and really they are just another thing to us. We have sorta of become accustomed to their beauty so we don't take the time to stop and notice them like others do. I wonder if living in a paradise type area if the nationals are just used to it as well. Take the moment to reconnect with the wonders of where you live. Plus, if you hurry up, you could be FTF on this one!!!!! :P:(

1531305452032456149S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK

This one looks cool :(

Mt Egmont Branch Railway Line (Taranaki) GCB97F

Why? I'm a closet train spotter and spent many a happy day in my childhood being dragged around the various branch lines that are open to the public in England (and Wales and Scotland). One memorable year, family (mum, dad, brother and I- I was about 12 years old, so my brother was 7 at the time) stayed in West Wales in a little place in the Mawddach estuary opposite the town of Barmouth. This little place was at the end of one of many now disused railway lines. One fine evening, Dad decided we would walk the path of the railway line to the pub which we knew was a couple of miles down the road. So, off we set with the promise of a fine meal at the end of the walk.

Only problem with little railway lines is that they follow the path of the estuary- so rather than going in a straight line, they weave in and out in and out. And what started out being a pleasant stroll (apart from the fact we were walking on the ballast that used to bed the railway lines down- rocks basically so quite uncomfortable for walking on!) just kept on and on to my dad's cries of 'It must be round the next headland', 'okay, round the next headland' ad nauseum. We arrived at the pub to find that Dad had left his wallet at the house and Mum only had money for 2 bags of crisps, two half pints of beer for them and 2 soft drinks for us. And we had to walk home. We never did go back to that pub for a meal. And Dad has never lived down that day and his cries of 'Its round the next headland!'. So I would go to this place knowing that- there's a railway (even disused is cool!), there's no pub and that mountain looks awesome.

Thanks for the cointest!

My starting point of caching in your part of the World would be one of the oldest caches on the South Island.

GCB2 - Botanical Gardens (Dunedin, Otago).

I would like to do this cache because I love gardens, this is one of the oldest caches placed and still out. It is fun to do the older caches, to see what folks enjoyed when caching started and their style of a hide. Just to have a cache still out there which was originally hidden 11/12/2000 is amazing!

It is located on Lovelock Avenue, North Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

Thanks for the cointest!

I'm going to recommend Key Summit (GCT6C3)

It's in Fjordland National Park on the South Island and looks like nice adventure :(

You'll take the Routeburn Track to get there, which is different from the other trails in the area.

It looks like the cache is about a mile and a half to two miles from the Te Anau Milford Highway, but you could make a multi-day trip out of it if you wanted to do that. There are huts along the track, and camping is allowed.

Looks like some fantastic scenery too :P

Odette-S---Key-Summit.jpg

147684915_ce03672ef7.jpg

routeburn.jpg

Hi and thanks for the cointest.

Never been to New Zealand, be sure I am adding this one location to my bucket list. :P

This one you haven't done yet... or not logged in!

GC18HER Nikau (Wellington)

This is a 1.5/2 cache

A small cache at the end of the Nikau Creek track.

The track is in the Wainuiomata Recretion Reseserve and access is via the Gums Loop Track.

Have a good one :(

More than an hour since my last post and I have been drooling over some of the amazing cache locations you have in New Zealand.

I'd also like to visit this one:

Once Were Trains (Upper Hutt) GCAFA9

Why? Another train one and a funny tunnel story!

My godparents live in Cheltenham (and my godfather Dave is another train nut) One day before we were due to go and see them again, Dave rings my dad and says, I found a new branch line that we haven't 'done' yet (either ridden down the line on a train or walked down the line where the tracks have been taken up). Bring torches and jumpers, there is a really long tunnel there.

So we go to see them for the weekend, taking torches and warm clothes (bear in mind, this is an English Summer and it was quite warm!) thinking wow, this tunnel must be really long.

Park somewhere near one of the old stations (all that was left was an old platform), clamber down onto the trackbed and walk round the corner to the tunnel. Thinking the tunnel would be long, dark and we would be looking for the proverbial light at the end of it- we came onto something like this:

the-screaming-tunnel-300x232.jpg

He still hasn't lived that one down- and this is again around 20 years ago!

(its not this tunnel- I can't find any photos of it now but this gives you an idea of how long it really wasn't LOL :laughing: )

So why should you visit it? Because you'd think of this story and smile- and maybe find that it's a proper tunnel and not something that becomes part of family folklore!

GC1877D-The HenderWitch Project (Auckland)

I choose this cache because I have always been interested in reading about the history of very old areas and what happend there a long time ago. I love reading scary stories and seeing scary movies. This are has quite a history as you will learn about as you read this. This is a 4/4 cache partly due to the fact that it is a puzzle cache. I'm not so sure that this cache is based on a true story, but it was very interesting to read and is one I most certainly would go do.

The cache is located in North Island, New Zealand.

516a62d265dcf8dec61f8eb225d7d28c-1.gif516a62d265dcf8dec61f8eb225d7d28c-1.gif516a62d265dcf8dec61f8eb225d7d28c-1.gif516a62d265dcf8dec61f8eb225d7d28c-1.gif516a62d265dcf8dec61f8eb225d7d28c-1.gif

In 1787, in the New Zealand township of Kiwiville, a woman named Alice Headwrong was accused of luring children into her home to draw blood from them. The town found her guilty of witchcraft and banished her during a particularly harsh winter. A year later, all her accusers and half the children of the town vanished. Fears of a curse gripped the townspeople, and they abandoned KiwiVille. Thirty-eight years later, Henderson was founded on the former site of KiwiVille.

In 1825, eleven eye witnesses claimed a pale woman's hand dragged a little girl into a creek. "For thirteen days after the drowning, the creek is clogged with oily bundles of sticks."

In 1886, an eight year old was reported missing. Search parties were dispatched, one did not come back. Their bodies were found in Devil's Peak, tied and disemboweled.

Beginning in 1950, seven children were abducted near Henderson over the course of seven months. In May of 1951, an old hermit publicly proclaimed that he was "finally finished." Henderson Police investigated his secluded home in the woods, where they found the bodies of the seven children ritualistically murdered and disemboweled. The hermit confessed to the atrocity and claimed that he did it for an "old woman ghost" who lived in the woods.

In 2007, three university students doing a project on Geocaching ventured to the town to interview the locals. They vanished at the site of Devil's Peak, and 1 year later, their GPS units and some scribbles on paper were recovered.

Edited by Team CeDo

In case you want to have an FTF, and to have (according to the geocacher who placed this!), a beautiful walk, you can go to:

Over the Umukarikaris (Central Plateau) GC1M5ND

According to what I read...

This has got to be one of the best walks in the North Island - I can’t believe it’s not better known. Beautiful beech forest, hours of spectacular views along the tops, and with a pristine river to follow on the return. After recently being inspired by Tramper Ted’s excellent ‘Etrex Memorial Vista’, I thought this walk desperately needed similar attention! .....Total distance for the round trip is 38km start to finish. I would recommend it as a 3 day walk, although the 3 of us knocked it off in a leisurely 11 hours (including cache hides and the road walk back).

It will ba a hard one!!! the terrain is a 4 and half (!!!), but it is not difficult to find it! It's your choise!!!

I know that there are other FTF's to find, but a hard FTF is a better one! :laughing:

Sunny Days (Wellington)

According to the description, this cache has it all! It is near a well-known location, is surrounded by beauty, and requires some exercise to get. And there's more! You can enjoy the woods and/or the beach! Plus, there are yummy eats nearby.

At the moment, the FTF is still up for grabs, too. There is also a coin in there just beginning its journeys, so you could be the first to send it along.

Thanks for the contest!!!

GC1M6ER-Sounds like you're being Koi (Nelson/Marlborough)

There are three reasons I would love to do this cache. First being that it is an underwater scuba diving cache, Second I love to scuba dive, Third if you or I were to complete this cache we would get the first to find! Due to the fact that its underwater it is rated a 5/5.

This cache is located in South Island, New Zealand. As I mentioned before it is underwater about 12 meters deep.

scuba_dive_md_clr1.gif

The geocache is located near the wreckage of a steemer ship named The Koi.

The Koi was built in Scotland in 1906, it was a twin screw steamer of 53 net register tons and shipped to New Zealand in sections, where she was assembled and launched the same year. She was used as a passengers ferry in and around the Motueka area and was re-floated and lengthened by another 4 meters after being swamped at the entrance to Nelson Harbour in 1910.

In 1930 she was converted to a coal hulk and as such sank at her moorings in Picton on the 10th of March 1940, after which she was eventually scuttled on the 5th of May 1940.

This is a picture of the Koi.

Koi.jpg

Here are some pictures of the Koi's final resting place, as well as the area that the Goecache is located.

koi%20mast%201.jpg

seaperch.jpg

spotty.jpg

Edited by Team CeDo

Well, If I would have been into Geocaching in 1994 (oops it wasn't quite invented back then) I would have definitely found this cache as we went early in the morning to Lake Matheson to view the reflection of the mountains in the mirror like lake. In fact I took some pictures of this spot, however on 35 mm slides (and I yet have to find a way to easily transfer these slides to digital images).

So my vote as to where you should go is Lake Side Retreat (West Coast) GC18886.

A beautiful spot, especially if you go when before the morning breeze sets in or during an exceptionally calm day. If you feel like a walk on the beach, you should continue down Gillespies Road and drive down to Gillespies Beach and visit the fur seals colony. But be aware of the bulls, they are a bit territorial and protective, and faster than you expect on land.

P.S.

Happy Waitangi Day to you. I spent that day in 2003 in Christchurch. Very nice celebration indeed.

Inverse Wipe Trove (Auckland)

According to the cache description, this place (the scenic Point View Reserve) is really beautiful. As someone who has never seen New Zeland, I'd love to do this cache for the views alone.

From the cache description:

"Point View Reserve is a magnificent natural vantage point with panoramic views of the Auckland region, and particularly South Auckland. Marvel at the vibrancy! Thrill at the slightly disturbing rate of urbanisation!

The summit is only a two minute walk from the car park off Point View Drive. More adventurous visitors can descend into the pristine native bush on a clearly marked circular track. Manukau City Council are extending the reserve over the coming years with more facilities and extended bush walks."

Gotta be the Earthcache from my very first Geocoin friend EVER- Team Chelmo

Canterbury Plains ~ GC1JA5W- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8f-23a37f698c5a

Have always wanted to visit the Land of the long White cloud...even rented a VHS from the library last month to check out what I am missing!

If I were able to do this EC, I would be in NZ and could visually see all the features described in the EC that causes the long white cloud aswell as the Canterbury Plains and river features described. Best of all, I would meet a long term friend who I have stayed in contact with since the night we met :unsure:

Oh I would love to visit!!! Toss me in a Zorb and throw me down a hill! :laughing: One Day I say, One Day!

I would probably go for GC1MDTP (Sunny Days (Wellington)). Its name puts a nice image in my mind, as we are experiencing the cold days of winter here int he States. I looked at a lot of the pics of the other caches, and there really is some breathtaking scenery. This one would also appeal to my wife, who just loves the water, and according to the maps, it isn't far from the seaside.

Thanx for the cointest.

Springlands Green Home for Old Ducks

As you may know, France has great Sauvignon Blanc wines from Sancerre, the Loire Valley, and Pouily-Fume... but since Marlborough started exporting their fruit-forward Sauvignon Blanc, they have been arguably the best in the world. The “best of the best” of these wonderful Sauvignon Blanc, IMHO, is Cloudy Bay. So, I would like you to do this cache ( GCNNDG ) then, it you like, you can go over to the nearby Cloudy Bay vineyards tasting room to taste one of Marlborough’s finest wines. :laughing: