Ipod Touch ( paperless )

Vibe2

This has been asked before, but I am looking for a solution with less than 99 steps. I would like to be able to upload pocket queries or individual waypoints to my new Ipod Touch, to save printing off the cache info. The touch is not a cell phone and is not a GPS, I just want to be able to access the information about a cache, as others are doing with palms... I have tried following past suggestions and have failed.....

any ideas??

I also cache paperless with my iPod Touch and I do use GSAK for it, but I don't export the cache information as notes, but as HTML. The advantage of this is that you can use the build-in Safari browser to show the web pages and that way you can also show the spoiler pictures and even zoom in. I does require a little more work, but once it is set up, using it isn't that much trouble. One small problem is that GSAK and SpoilerSync, a program used in the GSAK macro to download the spoiler photos, is that they only run on Windows, so if you've got an Apple like me a VMWare image of Windows or a Sun VirtualBox image is needed.

In short:

- one time steps

- jailbreak your iPod touch (most difficult step)

- install lighttpd application on iPod and configure it

- enable local file browsing hack on iPod so you're able to surf to 127.0.0.1

- install GSAK, SpoilerSync and the HTML export macro and configure it

- for every GPX file

- load it into GSAK

- run macro

- SFTP the HTML files and images to your iPod

- when caching

- open Safari and browse to http://127.0.0.1 and you'll get a directory listing (I put the all the HTML for one GPX in its own subdirectory, so those subdirectories will be shown, in the subdirectory Safari will find an index.html file when you click the directory name and will show the generated geocache listing that GSAK produced)

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble and that this explanation is complete in any way, it is just a short description, but I you or other geocachers would like to see some screenshots or a more detailed description of the procedure I followed to get it all working, I could post those too if I find some time.

I also cache paperless with my iPod Touch and I do use GSAK for it, but I don't export the cache information as notes, but as HTML. The advantage of this is that you can use the build-in Safari browser to show the web pages and that way you can also show the spoiler pictures and even zoom in. I does require a little more work, but once it is set up, using it isn't that much trouble. One small problem is that GSAK and SpoilerSync, a program used in the GSAK macro to download the spoiler photos, is that they only run on Windows, so if you've got an Apple like me a VMWare image of Windows or a Sun VirtualBox image is needed.

In short:

- one time steps

- jailbreak your iPod touch (most difficult step)

- install lighttpd application on iPod and configure it

- enable local file browsing hack on iPod so you're able to surf to 127.0.0.1

- install GSAK, SpoilerSync and the HTML export macro and configure it

- for every GPX file

- load it into GSAK

- run macro

- SFTP the HTML files and images to your iPod

- when caching

- open Safari and browse to http://127.0.0.1 and you'll get a directory listing (I put the all the HTML for one GPX in its own subdirectory, so those subdirectories will be shown, in the subdirectory Safari will find an index.html file when you click the directory name and will show the generated geocache listing that GSAK produced)

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble and that this explanation is complete in any way, it is just a short description, but I you or other geocachers would like to see some screenshots or a more detailed description of the procedure I followed to get it all working, I could post those too if I find some time.

I for one would love to see screen shots. I have just bought my Itouch - I have GSAK on my desktop. I downloaded AirSharing because thats what everyone told me to do and now. Yep you guessed it I am totally lost. Years ago I used my IPAQ with a couple of other programs and somehow used to manage to convert everything, I kind of thought this would be easier. Obviously not a geek myself. :(

I'm an IT professional and self confessed geek, so it comes kind of natural to me. I'll see what I can whip up during the weekend and hopefully, with some forum feedback, I'll be able to create some kind of tutorial.

Thanks so much and I WOULD like to see how a pro does it. Guess what? I "U-tuned" it and from there was able to work out how to "connect" my Itouch through Airsharing to the PC. Hey no cables where required - OK that was a surprise for me. Then I generated a hmtl (probably got those letters the wrong way around :( ) and dragged and dropped the whole lot into the My Network file. I cant believe I did it!! Better still it seems to be working :P

As I said before I really would like to see how its done properly.

Cheers

I was playing with my sister-in-law's Touch a couple of weeks ago. Right now I use GSAK and export to iSilo to a Palm. iSilo is available on the iPod, too. It would be simple to convert over.

I would continue with GSAK because of the much more powerful aggregating and filtering options over raw PQs. It uploads to your GPS so there is only one piece of software to serve those two functions. Just export to HTML, gather with your choice of iSilo converter (I use iSiloX), and then sync.

I'd like to get a Touch to replace the PDA and my nano. It's a bit down the "CR's Toy Wish List," though.

Didn't get to work on the tutorial this weekend as long as I wanted, but here's what I already got so far and I'll update/elaborate (add screenshots, actual macro, ...) it during the week whenever I find some time in the evening. Remarks, questions and comments are welcome.

Disclaimer: this is what I have personally done to go paperless using a 1st generation iPod Touch 32Gb. It should work as well for other 1st and 2nd generation iPod Touches and iPhones, but anything in this guide is at your own risk and I can't be held responsible/liable for any mishaps or damages, certainly regarding the jailbreaking part.

This goal of this tutorial is to show you a way to go paperless using an Apple iPod Touch or Apple iPhone. Since I did it with an iPod Touch, I'll refer it in the rest of the tutorial as just an iPod. Since some of the steps involve GPX files, you'll need to be a premium member of geocaching, but it certainly is worth the money.

The first step is to prepare your iPod so it is able to show local HTML files in Safari. For this you'll first need to jailbreak it. This will enable you to install the webserver (lighttpd) that is needed to serve local HTML files to Safari and a mobile terminal that is needed to start it. Because jailbreaking in itself is already a complicated step, that has been automated by the kind people of 'dev-team', so I'll refer you to their site for the necessary tools (PwnageTool/QuickPwn depending on your OS) and instructions: dev-team site.

After jailbreaking your iPod install the following applications using the Cydia application that was installed during the jailbreak process:

- OpenSSH: provides SSH/SFTP access to your iPod. Default user/pass is root/alpine, remember to change the default password using the passwd command for security reasons.

- lighttpd: a web server to serve the HTML files that a GSAK macro will generate.

- MobileTerminal: to start the lighttpd server since it isn't started automatically when your iPod boots.

The second step is to prepare your PC so it can generate the necessary HTML files to transfer to your iPod so you can view them there using Safari. You'll need to download and install several applications for this. Most of them are written for Windows, but virtualization programs like VMware or Sun VirtualBox can be used to run them on non-Windows systems (like I do on OSX).

- GSAK, http://gsak.net: an excellent geocaching tool, that we'll use to run a macro that'll generate HTML files starting from a GPX file. The program is free, but does contain a nag screen, but since it is really a very useful program I'd recommend to purchase a license for it.

- SpoilerSync, http://www.anode.plus.com/spoilersync: a free program that the GSAL macro will use to download spoiler pictures for the geocaches in the GPX file.

- FileZilla, http://filezilla-project.org: a free program that'll enable us to transfer the generated HTML files to the iPod.

The third step is to actually create the paperless version of the cache(s) you want to visit.

- create a GPX file for the cache(s) on the geocaching.com site

- start GSAK

- open the GPX file in GSAK

- run the macro

- transfer the generated files to iPod

This whole problem would be solved if the geocaching.app would either bulk download/save cache queries or read .gpx files natively!!! I hope they build this feature into the next version. Then I will buy it and go totally paperless with my iPod Touch.

+1 for a geocaching.app with that feature, but it would have to include the spoiler pictures for the caches for me to be a total replacement for my current setup.

+1 for a geocaching.app with that feature, but it would have to include the spoiler pictures for the caches for me to be a total replacement for my current setup.

I'd just be satisfied with the ability to conveniently bring the geocache info with me when I go caching – without having to shell out $500 bones for an Oregon! We can put a man on the moon but getting cache info into an iPod touch seems to be a formidable task. I mean, in another thread on here, a guy just wrote a program to go paperless with a Nintendo DS! iPod technology should be easier?! :(

I'd just be satisfied with the ability to conveniently bring the geocache info with me when I go caching – without having to shell out $500 bones for an Oregon! We can put a man on the moon but getting cache info into an iPod touch seems to be a formidable task. I mean, in another thread on here, a guy just wrote a program to go paperless with a Nintendo DS! iPod technology should be easier?! :(

You've certainly hit the nail on the head there. If you're not technically inclined, going paperless with an iPod Touch looks like rocket science. I'm trying to put together a tutorial in this thread to show how it can be done and hopefully once it is finished it will be clear and easy enough to follow, but it won't be easy. And I must admit I've also been busy writing a Java program (because GSAK and SpoilerSync don't run on OSX) to do a lot of the steps in an automated way, but at this moment it isn't anywhere near finished.

You've certainly hit the nail on the head there. If you're not technically inclined, going paperless with an iPod Touch looks like rocket science. I'm trying to put together a tutorial in this thread to show how it can be done and hopefully once it is finished it will be clear and easy enough to follow, but it won't be easy. And I must admit I've also been busy writing a Java program (because GSAK and SpoilerSync don't run on OSX) to do a lot of the steps in an automated way, but at this moment it isn't anywhere near finished.

The "el cheapo" way that I have been doing it is just get the cache .pdf files (via premium membership) or make .pdf files from the .html through Safari's "save as .pdf" function and email them to myself in an email. Then you've got them with you, but its not as convenient as being able to download a bunch at the same time. My method takes a lot longer, but its still pretty straightforward, which is a plus. :(

There's also a GSAK macro you can use to download the cache data to an Ipod. I've been using nothing but my GPS and an Ipod mini for months now.

Not 2 steps, but not 99 either.

1. Run PQ

2. Open PQ in GSAK.

3. Sort listings by gc#

4. Run macro to send data to Ipod.

This method will not work for the iPod Touch. The Touch specifically will not allow you to load the data into the notepad from your desktop. There may be a Mac workaround, but I'm not a Mac user. However, if you install an app like Airshare, you can get a similar result.

I wasn't the first to do this, so I'm not claiming to be original with this procedure.

It works with a PC running Vista.

Pay $4.99 plus tax for the Air Sharing application.

Get the GSAK application.

Get the GSAK2iPhone application at http://www.ketzler.de/gsak2iphone/ It is free. I tried loading the HTML from GSAK, but found it too difficult to navigate without the conversion (Fat fingers)

Get your Pocket Query and load it into GSAK.

Export the HTML output from GSAK.

Convert the HTML output using GSAK2iPhone

Connect to the iPod Touch using the Air Sharing application. Copy the output from the GSAK2iPhone to your iPod Touch. It is not the fastest thing in the world, but there is no Jailbreaking required. I was able to move 500 or so caches in less than five minutes.

A great app I was just turned onto is iGeocacher. It uses the same .gpx files that you get from Groundspeak when you do a pocket query. It works perfect for me because all I want in paper less caching is a portable database I can use off line that is convenient. iGeocacher is both. It's a $14.99 app in the app store but I downloaded it tonight and had it loaded with 500 caches in less than 4 minutes. It's the perfect app for me and is great for having the ability to take huge numbers of caches with you into the woods without a data plan. Plus its totally searchable. Just come across the cache GC number on your GPS, search it on your iPod and viola! You've got true paperless caching! I highly recommend this .app! Check out this link to view videos of how it works! :laughing:

I also use iGeocacher on my iTouch, as a replacement for cachemate on my palm. It gives me a quick way to download and access large PQ collections on my iTouch very easily. In addition, I use the Groundspeak Geocaching app for quick local updates with its Saved Caches feature. It's still a bit rough, but has useful features. These two apps total about 90% of what I've paid for apps (!), but they each provide useful functionality.

I wasn't the first to do this, so I'm not claiming to be original with this procedure.

Get the GSAK2iPhone application at http://www.ketzler.de/gsak2iphone/ It is free. I tried loading the HTML from GSAK, but found it too difficult to navigate without the conversion (Fat fingers)

Connect to the iPod Touch using the Air Sharing application. Copy the output from the GSAK2iPhone to your iPod Touch. It is not the fastest thing in the world, but there is no Jailbreaking required. I was able to move 500 or so caches in less than five minutes.

Where or what do you use to store the Caches on your iphone after it is exported from GSAK? Any idea how much space 500 would take up? I should imagine only a couple of megs.

The AirSharing application creates a network drive to which you can drag and drop files from your computer on the same network.

I got Air Sharing and even managed to get the whole folder into the page to upload but no matter what I do Bonjour cannot be contacted. I must be doing something wrong. :)

Edited by George1

A great app I was just turned onto is iGeocacher. It uses the same .gpx files that you get from Groundspeak when you do a pocket query. It works perfect for me because all I want in paper less caching is a portable database I can use off line that is convenient. iGeocacher is both. It's a $14.99 app in the app store but I downloaded it tonight and had it loaded with 500 caches in less than 4 minutes. It's the perfect app for me and is great for having the ability to take huge numbers of caches with you into the woods without a data plan. Plus its totally searchable. Just come across the cache GC number on your GPS, search it on your iPod and viola! You've got true paperless caching! I highly recommend this .app! Check out this link to view videos of how it works! :laughing:

I installed this app on a fellow geocachers iPhone yesterday because he didn't like the prospect of jailbreaking his iPhone, to be able put custom HTML files on his machine, and maybe bricking it in the process. All in all it is a nice and pretty complete application, but it still lacks the one functionality I need: pictures. iGeocacher will show them if you have connectivity, be it WiFi or GPRS, but on an iPod in the open this is highly unlikely. For the rest I was pretty impressed. It was easy to set up a local LightTPD server on his Macbook and serve the GPX files from there.

This does about the same as my setup, except without the jailbreaking and with a different GSAK macro, one that I'm certainly going to try, so thanks for the tip. I think that this is a better procedure for the less tech-savvy user, as it dispenses with the jailbreaking part, but I use a lot of the functionality on my iPod Touch that can only be gotten by jailbreaking it, so that wasn't really a problem.

I've got a similar solution to share, but that might be simpler. It still takes a bit of tech setup, but it is a bit simpler. No jail break is involved and all the software I mention is free (although GSAK is worth donating $ for)

- Get GSAK on your workstation going and be able to export your GPX pocket-queries into HTML files

(use the File -> Export -> HTML tool)

- On your iTouch, get the free app "Files Lite"

This app will set your iTouch up as a small webserver which sounds all fancy, but it does the work

- On you workstation, add a network place: http://iPod.local:8080 (the Files Lite app will show you the syntax in case I have an error here)

- Find the HTML file folder you created back at step 1 and rename it for the area your query covered

- Open the network place on you workstation and copy+paste the folder into it. (this step for me took quite a bit of time even though the total folder size was less than 1MB)

- On your iTouch, open the Files Lite program and look for the renamed folder

- Open the folder and then click on the top link/file to open. It should be the index file which will automatically come up in Safari

- This page allows you to navigate to all the cache info you could possibly want in an easy fashion.

I hope this helps and that I didn't forget any steps in the process.

Now if I can figure out how to get topo maps off-line to my iTouch...

Edited by valleydogs

Has anyone ever tried geosphere?

I have read a bunch of threads on the itouch and I have no idea what to purchase. All I want is an app that will do exactly what my cachemate is doing for my palm.

What I want in an app:

cache name

difficult ratings (hide and terrain)

who hid the cache

description

hint

past logs

and a way to log that I have found the cache so I can pull up just that list later when I log it into geocache.com

Any suggestions?

I have read a bunch of threads on the itouch and I have no idea what to purchase. All I want is an app that will do exactly what my cachemate is doing for my palm.

What I want in an app:

cache name

who hid the cache

description

hint

past logs

and a way to log that I have found the cache so I can pull up just that list later when I log it into geocache.com

Any suggestions?

I've been using GeoSphere for a week or so and I think its fantastic.

It will do all that you've ask and much more.

The ability to enter logs for your finds when out in the field, and then upload them to GC.com when you get back to wifi is great.

It imports a 500 cache PQ gpx no problem and theres no slowdown like i experienced on a pda.

The grouping and searching of the cache database functions makes it really easy to use.

When youre in a wifi area you can view caches in the iTouch's mapping app.

I'm having trouble getting it off my wife, and she wouldnt even look at my previous pda setup.

I was really surprised that there were no reviews for it in the AppStore.

I took the gamble and went for it.

No regrets from me!

What I want in an app:

cache name

who hid the cache

description

hint

past logs

Any suggestions?

I've been using GeoSphere for a week or so and I think its fantastic.

It will do all that you've ask and much more.

The ability to enter logs for your finds when out in the field, and then upload them to GC.com when you get back to wifi is great.

It imports a 500 cache PQ gpx no problem and theres no slowdown like i experienced on a pda.

The grouping and searching of the cache database functions makes it really easy to use.

When youre in a wifi area you can view caches in the iTouch's mapping app.

I'm having trouble getting it off my wife, and she wouldnt even look at my previous pda setup.

I was really surprised that there were no reviews for it in the AppStore.

I took the gamble and went for it.

No regrets from me!

heres the website > GeoSphere

Edited by Manncubs