Do you leave something special for the FTF?

DarkZen

I think the notion that "leaving a FTF prize is just a way to spice up a lame cache" is just silly. Of the gobs of finders to each cache, only one gets the prize. I leave FTF prizes because I enjoy making the FTF that much more memorable an occasion for whatever brave soul makes the attempt, assuming they survive.

First, I didn't say that making up for lameness is the only reason people leave FTF prizes, just that I have observed that behavior.

But, more to the point: if you spent the extra money, effort, and time on the cache instead of the FTF prize, then wouldn't all the finders benefit, instead of just the first?

I couldn't tell you. I only spend about $50 on swag for each of my caches. I'm not sure how much more the other finders would enjoy the find if I spread the $5 I spent on the FTF prize over all the finds in a several year period. Most of my caches are what are commonly referred to as "lonely", as they only get a few finds a year. Without doing the real number crunching, let's say (just for argument's sake), that a particular cache will get 5 finds a year, and will last 3 years before I pull it, for a total of 15 finds over it's lifetime. If I don't buy a FTF coin for $5, and instead, spread out the wealth, that would increase the potential swag value by $0.33 per finder. Typically, the folks who hunt my caches do so for the adventure, not the swag, so that $0.33 might go up a bit, but in the end you'd have to ask the folks who found it if their swag trading experience would've been increased had their particular trade item been worth $0.33 more. Now, let's assume I'm the type of cacher capable of hinding P&Gs. That same $5 could be spread out over hundreds of finders. :)

Being too cheap to include a FTF prize is perfectly OK.

Coming up with cheesy arguments to defend being, uh... thrifty... not so much. :o

Edited by Clan Riffster

I couldn't tell you. I only spend about $50 on swag for each of my caches. I'm not sure how much more the other finders would enjoy the find if I spread the $5 I spent on the FTF prize over all the finds in a several year period. Most of my caches are what are commonly referred to as "lonely", as they only get a few finds a year. Without doing the real number crunching, let's say (just for argument's sake), that a particular cache will get 5 finds a year, and will last 3 years before I pull it, for a total of 15 finds over it's lifetime. If I don't buy a FTF coin for $5, and instead, spread out the wealth, that would increase the potential swag value by $0.33 per finder. Typically, the folks who hunt my caches do so for the adventure, not the swag, so that $0.33 might go up a bit, but in the end you'd have to ask the folks who found it if their swag trading experience would've been increased had their particular trade item been worth $0.33 more. Now, let's assume I'm the type of cacher capable of hinding P&Gs. That same $5 could be spread out over hundreds of finders. :)

Being too cheap to include a FTF prize is perfectly OK.

Coming up with cheesy arguments to defend being, uh... thrifty... not so much. :o

Clan Riffster, I've noticed that you and I seem to share a very similar outlook on geocaching. So, if you can also share with me the source of your $5 FTF coins (are we talking geocoins here or those generic FTF coins that are smaller than regular geocoins?), that would be much appreciated! :D

Sorry JamGuys, I should've been more clear. I was talking about the silver antique foreign coins I leave. The last one I left was an early 60's Canadian half dollar coin. I buy the ones with little numismatic value, from a local coin dealer. He sells them at whatever the current silver weight price is, which comes out to about $5 each. He's got a Tupperware tub full of foreign silver that I paw through, nabbing any of the larger ones.

Sorry JamGuys, I should've been more clear. I was talking about the silver antique foreign coins I leave. The last one I left was an early 60's Canadian half dollar coin. I buy the ones with little numismatic value, from a local coin dealer. He sells them at whatever the current silver weight price is, which comes out to about $5 each. He's got a Tupperware tub full of foreign silver that I paw through, nabbing any of the larger ones.

I see, but that's still pretty cool! In fact, I like the idea and will keep an eye out for coins as well as other unique items whenever I drop by one of the many antique stores that seem to be prevalent around here. :)

First, I didn't say that making up for lameness is the only reason people leave FTF prizes, just that I have observed that behavior.

But, more to the point: if you spent the extra money, effort, and time on the cache instead of the FTF prize, then wouldn't all the finders benefit, instead of just the first?

I haven't seen that correlation.

I take care to put my caches in places that will bring folks to places they might otherwise miss. I use good containers, properly marked and well stocked. I fail to see how the small amount of time or money I spend on the FTF prizes could be better spent making my caches nicer. Regardless, it's just something I enjoy.

I have some larger caches and some micros. Although with 28 FTFs, I have only received a few FTF prizes.

We have a lot of FTF hounds around here, but you never know which one will get it. Or IF. One of my most recent was someone who got FTF and it was their 5th cache.

I try to leave something. Often it's an FTF pin. They are like $2. And it's usually a nice little surpise. In my larger caches that have at least a little higher T or D or both, I leave an unactivated micro geocoin. They have the benchmark coins and virtual ghost coins and other similar ones for like $5. Sometimes I'll leave a few lottery tickets. Nothing too much, and always a nice surpise. I know I don't have to. But people like to try to find my new caches. Fast. Adds to the fun for everyone.

Rarely. I've placed 250+ caches and probably put a FTF prize in maybe a dozen. I think the only prize most FTF hounds want is a blank logbook.

Yep... that is the best prize ever!!! I love blank pages although I have only found 2 so far :)

Wanna know something slightly amusing?

Out of 89 finds on this site I have two FTFs but I have signed 16 blank logbooks.

Ok, ok, 9 blank logbooks and 7 log sheets. :o

I though it would be nice to get some FTF coins...bought some ok ones and a couple really nice ones...only thing is...they get snapped up by the same 2 cachers everytime. Just not enough people in my area that are hot on the new caches...so whatever i put in for a FTF goes to the same people everytime. So Im not gonna do that anymore....but Ive got one of the really nice FTF coins left....and Im gonna save that for a cache that you will need a boat to get to. I dont think they own a boat...and if they rent one...then they can have the FTF coin LOL

On most of my caches I leave a laminated FTF certificate which my local FTF hound IMSpider has collected most of them. I have also begun adding a "congrats to ..." to the auction listing page and each cacher gets there own special font for their name.

3218343464_c3a24734f7_o.jpg

I have not found any FTF goodies in any caches yet.

Edited by slukster

When a cache is especially difficult to solve, such as a Mystery/Puzzle cache, or if the pathway to the cache is lengthy, I usually include a FTF prize.

If I place 10 caches, I'm pretty sure I know who's gonna be FTF on 9 of them ---if not the 10 (well, they missed my first one ;) )

So placing an FTF prize only to see it taken by the exact same guys over and over would be rather tiring both for me and for the other local cachers who don't have that much time on their hands.

Before I placed my first hide, I asked a local legend cacher I'd met about FTF prizes. His advice reflects the quotes above. "If it's a complicated, difficult or otherwise challenging hide, sure." and "The same small group of local cachers are always getting the FTFs, why reward them for that?"

This same cacher did me the honor of making me first hide his 5000th find. :(

Using the term "FTF hounds" is far more polite than I am, I use "FTF Hogs" and even released a TB about this: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1726950

I have left a new dollar coin in two of my three hides, one because it matched the theme of the hide.

I logged my first FTF today. The CO put a smaller ready to place cache inside it as the prize for the ftf. The blank logbook was the thrill, but I thought it was a very thoughtful gesture to do that. I'll now have a lasting memory of my ftf with what will now become my first cache owned.

I like to leave this on the rare occasion when I get FTF.

b37217ae-cd63-4472-ac9b-4739c973a950.jpg

Bahahaha... :):D:P

I never used to leave FTF Prizes (One I had planned to give an FTF prize at a later date, but they ended up being sold out), but With my last cache, and my new one that got approved yesterday (and hasn't been found yet), I've taken to giving hand-carved personalised stamps after the fact.

Edited by Taoiseach

Yes - I have a collection of CITO T-shirts I place in the cache to get it going. I also spend about 20 bucks in trade items - good ones - with kid stuff as well. Sometimes I clear out the contents that are total junk and refresh to show what is good trade items.

Also I never tell anyone - I am hiding a cache - no one gets an advance advantage. FTF are the ones that want it the most.

I just had my first cache go public today. When I first placed it, I didn't have anything special in it. I had also forgotten to get permision from the park service. That gave me time to get some nice stuff for the FTF. I found a good deal on some real high quality LED flashlights that will fit nicely in the pocket. I also got several more that only have one LED, but they are tiny, and can be clipped to the brim of your hat. They also have a bendable gooseneck to aim the light. I figured that this would be nice enough to reward the efforts of an eager cacher.

I plan to place several more caches once the weather warms up. I ordered some real nice FTF trackable coins to place out too. Still waiting for them.

So if you get in the Maryland area, and you see a new cache from me, you can expect to find nice new stuff for the kids, as well as a few nice trinkets for mom and dad.

In my area this used to be more prevalent. These days it doesn't seem like cachers are doing it as much. I always do. I know the FTF is nice in itself but I like to reward the effort. For instance in this cache I included a donation to a local charity and a FTF trophy (and the FTF included a pic!). Nothing big, but fun I think.

So what about you guys, do you include a FTF prize?

Where I live, its two cacher's who cache together who take 95% of the FTF.

Now, its only speculation, but it doesn't matter what time of day these new cache's are published, they are almost always the FTF. So it leads me to believe these people do not have employment or education responsibilities like many cacher's do, so why reward these people? Surely if they had some responsibilities, they would not be able to find them within two hours of publishing.

Instead of concentrating on making a cache "rewarding" only for the FTF, then fizzle out after 10 finds, I believe when a cache is created, it should be done so, so its rewarding for ALL to find for months/years to come. No material items are needed to accomplish this if the cache is placed correctly.

The true spirit of caching isn't getting free-bees. Its about adventure, nature, exploration, and most of all, a common value you share with a community of others. If finding a FTF reward is the only reason you cache, then your not doing it for the reasons many others do it for.

All caches should be rewarding for all, no matter how challanging they may be. If you wouldn't challange yourself without some material reward, then you have other issues Geocaching will never help you outgrow.

I personally just like too spend a buck or two on some McDonalds certificates to leave in caches I find so others after me are rewarded on a cold day, not just the FTF's. And my scouting boys almost always leave something behind, but rarely ever take anything. They understand its more rewarding to give than to recieve, but not to the same people every time. Then its just a "hand-out".

That my friends is what the true spirit of caching is all about!

I think I'll leave one of these in my next cache for the ftf.

mouse-trap.jpg

:D I LOVE this idea! This is some kind of FTF prize I might consider placing for them.

Mind if I borrow your idea?

better yet, put the real cache inside a larger one, place the mousetrap inside then take a 35mm film cannister with a magnet taped to it and stick it to the bait tab :)

Where I live, its two cacher's who cache together who take 95% of the FTF.

Now, its only speculation, but it doesn't matter what time of day these new cache's are published, they are almost always the FTF. So it leads me to believe these people do not have employment or education responsibilities like many cacher's do, so why reward these people? Surely if they had some responsibilities, they would not be able to find them within two hours of publishing.

Instead of concentrating on making a cache "rewarding" only for the FTF, then fizzle out after 10 finds, I believe when a cache is created, it should be done so, so its rewarding for ALL to find for months/years to come. No material items are needed to accomplish this if the cache is placed correctly.

The true spirit of caching isn't getting free-bees. Its about adventure, nature, exploration, and most of all, a common value you share with a community of others. If finding a FTF reward is the only reason you cache, then your not doing it for the reasons many others do it for.

All caches should be rewarding for all, no matter how challanging they may be. If you wouldn't challange yourself without some material reward, then you have other issues Geocaching will never help you outgrow.

I personally just like too spend a buck or two on some McDonalds certificates to leave in caches I find so others after me are rewarded on a cold day, not just the FTF's. And my scouting boys almost always leave something behind, but rarely ever take anything. They understand its more rewarding to give than to recieve, but not to the same people every time. Then its just a "hand-out".

That my friends is what the true spirit of caching is all about!

This is the exact situation where I live, with a pair of cachers being FTF on nearly everything that comes out.

I don't mind leaving a small something for the FTF on a cache, but I wouldn't put a lot of money into it on the average difficulty cache. However, on a puzzle cache I've done, that's proven to be difficult enough it hasn't been found for 4+ months, I have an unactivated geocoin for the first person who finally figures it out.

But, having lately been FTF on several puzzle caches with a high difficulty rating (two that went 11 months without being solved or found), I can guarantee you that the FTF reward for me was the actual solving of the puzzle and finding the cache, not any reward that was within the cache itself. On the last one of these puzzle caches, our team actually left better stuff in the cache than we took out. My team partner left an unactivated geocoin in there, to encourage people to keep trying to solve it, even though the FTF is now history.

I agree with this poster... if you're in it for the stuff, you're bound to be disappointed. If you're in it for adventure and exploration, pretty much every cache out there can offer that much. Even the most lowly lamp post skirt nano has the ability to take you to a place you've never been before.

BlueDamsel

Edited by BlueDamsel

Yeaaaaah, I's all hotted up to include FTF prizies back when I first started. Delayed becuz I wanted to make it some kinda unique thing - sorta like a 'Sig' item - but had to be something peops would want, & want to collect....but couldn't come up with the 'right idea'. While that was percolatin', I soon came to realize it would only be the same one or two 'Hounds' (I used to think of 'em as "the Hot Rods" until I learned the standard phrase was "Hounds") 99% of the time, so the idea cooled off. Then came the realization the FTF itself was apparently enough of an incentive, & they din't need a prizie to drive 'em....so that purty much killed the idea. I say 'purty much' becuz I still plan to prolly drop one into some of the particularly nasty, evil or difficult hides I'll be planting sometime....more as a 'trophy' than an 'FTF' thingy, per se.

I liked the idea one o' my buds came up with. He filled a large ammo can with really nice stuff....and one of the items fastened inside was a fake hand like from a mannequin, "body parts" style per the cache's theme. (Being vague to avoid 'spoilage') He then hid it on an island in a large pond, so, difficulty-5. It got found right away....by both the local 'Hot Rods'. But neither one (nor the few who've since found it) have figured out they should look inside the fake hand....where, still unfound to this day, is a gold watch! I luvz me summa that kinda sneakiness!!

~*

I don't put a FTF prize in my caches. I consider the FTF bragging rights to be the FTF prize. After the FTFers find my cache I will go back out and put better swag in the cache. Not only does this "recharge" the swag in the cache it has added benefit of rechecking the placement of my new cache. I check to see if replacement is happening correctly or of the FTFers lost all presence of mind and forgot to properly replace the cache after they found it.