How important is an own icon for a personal coin

millieballon

I really do like the small icons of the coins.

But you need a lot of coins to reach that point.

How many perosnal coins do have their own icon?

If a coin is for sale does it matter for for you if it has the general icon?

And another question are there many non trackable personal coins around?

If the coin is trackable, I think the icon is important for most buyers. I know I dislike activating a coin and seeing the generic icon, but I rarely activate coins anymore anyways (or buy them for that matter).

Non-trackable personal coins are nice, can't really talk about them in the forums except to trade, but that's only a slight hassle. I have some really specail non-trackables which are among my favorite coins!!

I have come to the conclusion that trackable coins and their icons are the cause of just too much angst. Initially trackable coins were fun, and collecting icons was fun but with so many going missing that get put out into the wild it isn't fun anymore. Serious collectors always activate their coins and they can be seen in their profile, the rest don't activate the majority of their coins because they are more of an investment and for making a buck. I think non trackable coins are the best way to leave your mark in a cache, they are fun to find you can write about them in your logs, you can photograph them for sharing, you can swap them at meets and ultimately we are all then playing on a level playing field. I thought pathtags were the way to go, but even these are now appearing in ever larger numbers on ebay. The best example I have come across of a non trackable coin is the Tatanka Pejula. If you are considering getting a coin made, before you do - I would just ask that you think about your motives first. Do you want something nice to leave in a cache or are you hoping to cover the cost of production by selling the majority of them. Does it need to be trackable? Go and read what Tsun has to say about her philosophy behind the Tatanka coin - for me it says all that needs to be said.

Serious collectors always activate their coins and they can be seen in their profile, the rest don't activate the majority of their coins because they are more of an investment and for making a buck.

The only part of your post I disagree with :D All I've done is pour money into my coin collection, and I haven't activated anything (that I didn't plan on putting in a cache) in maybe a year. Never expect to make anything off of them, I don't even have an ebay account!

Why haven't I activated them? I'm LAZY! ;)

It takes time to retrieve the codes and activate them! Also, I was going through my list of activated coins the other day to check up on the status of travelers and mark the ones missing that are missing. I was really kicking myself for all of the activated coins in an unknown location that are sitting on top of my bookshelf at home. Made it harder to find the ones that really are travelers! I kinda wish I could unactivate them just to declutter that list!

In the beginning I really cared about the icon, I loved activating them and showing them off, bringing handfuls to events to pass around, but as my collection has grown, I'm caring less and less if they're even trackable. For commercial coins trackability is a must, and with that the icon. I'll buy a few and set some free. But for personals, especially if I'm trading you for it, or if I've met you, I could care less, since there's no way anyone is prying the coin from my hands to put into a cache!

But anyway, I think I've sidetracked.. If your coin is going to be trade only and personal, the icon and trackability aren't really neccessary, in my opinion at least. But if you're planning on selling the coin, I think most people will want the icon.

I really do like the small icons of the coins.

But you need a lot of coins to reach that point.

Not necessarily. I've got a trackable coin being made as we speak with its own icon but I'm only have 100 of them made. I'm just not using the other 150 tracking numbers. I guess that's not really something viable for most people though.

For what it's worth all of my top favorite coins are not trackable. Today more people seemed concerned with getting an icon than back when I was collecting a lot of coins though. I don't really care one way or the other, but I think it's silly to buy tracking numbers and then use the generic icon.

I for 1 am an icon hoe. I'll trade for a personal coin with the generic icon but not with a high value coin. If it's going to be trackable it may as well have an identifiable icon. IMO icons cost money and add value to a good coin but that's just my opinion.

Have went back and forth as to why I decided to go trackable with an icon. In the end I think I am most happy that I did both. Even though the numbers and icon are additional costs that are uneccessary to make a special personal, I really enjoy watching them travel AND for the ones that still reside in caches I have placed them in, I really like to see the icon of my coin in there.

Dont care about collecting icons, even though I have a slew of them...I kinda wish I just had my specials listed.

People WILL be more apt to buy/trade your coin with an icon. From a collectors, buyers and especially the ones who release them point of view.

Again, its not neccesary as there are SO MANY non trackables I truley love and its cheaper- in the end it will be YOUR intention which should decide as to whether or not you include an icon for your coin should you make them trackable.

I love nontrackables :( My 2007/2008/2009 are all nontrackables (Raiders of the Lost Cache-Staff of Ra/Elf/Cowgirl coin). Nontrackables are actually my preference but that's just me.

I've been able to trade with people a nontrackable for trackable personals. So I think that really depends on the person.

I don't care about icons myself, even at events I don't even bother to discover coins. I look at them, fondle them, get a happy smile and that's good enough for me. I have no interest in activating coins for the icons, I just enjoy looking at them, the stories behind them or the meaning behind them. Some of the most popular and sought after coins are nontrackables.

There are alot of varied opinions out there, so it's nice that both options are available.

So count me in for the nontrackable as my favorite :P

Thank you all for your wise replies.

I'm happy to read that non trackables are also valued high.

Loved to read about the Tatanka pejula. Started as a cacher only a few months ago i had not seen this yet.

I think i'll not go to the hassle of making a "commercial" coin and having to sell them.

It will just be our personal coin.

Do you think it is possible to buy the tracking numbers and make a specific Millieballon icon and not use them for 1 coin but for also for future other MB coins. So start with 60 coins and next year make a new version and use the next 60 numbers with the same icon?

Do you think it is possible to buy the tracking numbers and make a specific Millieballon icon and not use them for 1 coin but for also for future other MB coins. So start with 60 coins and next year make a new version and use the next 60 numbers with the same icon?

I think that is possible.

I prefer icons, especially if I'm buying a coin.

That said, I do have a few very nice non trackables as well. And Mystery coins, almost all of which are non-trackable, are just too cool for words! I just wish I had more of them! :D

I think that is possible.

I prefer icons, especially if I'm buying a coin.

That said, I do have a few very nice non trackables as well. And Mystery coins, almost all of which are non-trackable, are just too cool for words! I just wish I had more of them! :)

It is definitely possible.

I have 3 versions of my coin. Three different designs, and they all share the same icon