"Eye Of The Tribal Flower" geocoin

DJ.J.ROCK

This Coin art work is final,, after a full back side redesign, and a few revamps.

At first I was very solid on how I wanted this design,, but Mike pushed me in different directions, and gave me different ways of looking at things, so I took back the orginal art work and came up with something alot better in both our opinions. This is what came out the other end.(im having issues getting a good picture up)

b11c86a3-bf92-4093-ac6b-5bbb0384094d.jpg

it will be trackable!! :D it will have its own icon if enuff are sold ;)

so now we are deciding colors of translucents for each finish. there will be 3 finishes plus a AE 2 tone edition.

We pretty much know what we like, but ....We want to know what you would like as far as finishes for this design, and may take up a few ideas for one or more of the finishes.

Any ideas are welcome for colors and metals , again we may decide to use your idea,, or your idea may be one we are using already ;) I think that it would be cool to incorporate a color /finish from community suggestions.

*Mike feel free to add anything Im missing.*

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

I recommend getting at least one sample with no enamels at all in an antiqued finish, probably ant. gold/bronze, ant. copper or ant. nickel. Ant. silver would be too bland (imho)

Beyond that, for translucents, I prefer shiny silver or shiny gold. Copper affects colors more than the other two.

As for colors - bright gem tones rather than earthy tones. :D

CF30

Would people like one translucent color on one side and a different color on the other?

for example: Front is transluent purple, back is translucent blue

If the colors go well together, like blue and purple, then yes :D But the same color is good too, order samples and see what you like best!

What I'd definitely like to see is Antiques!

Would people like one translucent color on one side and a different color on the other?

I've been wondering about that too for an upcoming design, but I concluded that "I" wouldn't like so I won't be doing that on my coin.

edit to add...I think for me to like a Coin with different colors on different sides, it would need a lot of contrast like Black/White

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

no, not really. at least for me.

may i make a small suggestion? the spacing between the words in the second row is off. seems too wide between "wisdom" and "from." that spacing pushes the words right up to the edge of the design.

and why capitalize From and not a?

that's the page designer in me asking questions! :D if this was a headline, only the word Gather would be in caps — and maybe Flower — if we wanted to get fancy.

off to work, this is a lovely design and i can't wait to see pics with enamels!

rsg

That would be different. ;)

However the only purple translucent I'm aware of is not a really great purple :D . It's rather more "plumy" than jewel-toned (this is a problem I'm wrestling with myself on a project I'm working on... ;) ). I want a darker, richer purple translucent!!!

CF30

Beautiful design!

I think I'd prefer the same colour on both the front and the back.

I agree with RedShoesGirl about the spacing and the upper case problem. I'd suggest normal spacing on the second line (moving everything towards the centre of the coin with a single space between each word), and to avoid the 'which words should have capitals' issue, maybe go with all upper case or all lower case?

I love seeing these coins as they progress through the stages of design. Thanks for sharing this with us.

A note on capitalization:

"Capitalize in Heading and Title:

-First and last word

-Nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives

-Subordinating conjunctions (for example: before, after, when...)

-Hyphenated compound words

-First word following a colon

Do Not Capitalize:

-Articles (a, an, the)

-Coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or, nor, so)

-The word 'to' when it precedes a verb

-Prepositions with fewer than five letters."

Source: Capitalization of Headings and Titles

From MLO3: Capitalization of Headings and Titles.

If you want to leave the gap in there, you might want to stick a flower in there, or an eye, or something like that. Otherwise I agree with everyone else and think that you should kern the type out so that it's more even. I'd also go with all lower-case.

Lastly, I for one like the idea of translucents and antiques. When you've got multiple levels of detail crammed in there, the antique finishes really bring them out (if you're not using translucent enamels, that is). I find that finishes that are even (all foggy, all shiny, etc) make the detail harder to see. At least that's how it seems to turn out for these old eyes. ; )

Looking forward to seeing these!

(Edited to fix bad code)

Edited by Jackalgirl

Whoaaah, another must have.... :(

Well, antique copper without enamel would make me very, very, happy.

And I like the idea of different enamels on front and back (I like to put my coins in those key-chain-rings and wear them as a charm, and with two different colours I could turn it during the day :P )

The same colour for every coin on one side and differnt colours only for the other side? Well, depends on the colour you choose to be the "standard"... but I think if both sides come in different colours you would make more people happy...

So, where can I enter my reservation? :laughing::mad::mad:

Whoaaah, another must have.... :laughing:

And I like the idea of different enamels on front and back (I like to put my coins in those key-chain-rings and wear them as a charm, and with two different colours I could turn it during the day :unsure: )

The same colour for every coin on one side and differnt colours only for the other side? Well, depends on the colour you choose to be the "standard"... but I think if both sides come in different colours you would make more people happy...

So, where can I enter my reservation? :ph34r::D:D

Thanks Chur, for you nice comments.

Being Im horribal at grammer, funny as how you see im part of the forums.lol Were gonna fix the gap, and capitalize the a.

we would still like to hear what you think of the design,, and what you would pick for finishes.

2 different colors one on each side?

1 same color on all the coins 1 side?

same colors on both sides?

antique, what is your favorate metal?

basicly if this were your coin,what would you have the finishes be?

Given the multi-level detail in the coin, I'd be happiest with antique finishes, since they bring out the detail best. That's if I went with a no-enamel version.

A two-tone version -- with an antique finish underneath with something else on top (perhaps antique silver with black nickel, if the nickel will "take" to the antique silver, or antique copper with black nickel, if that will "take" -- I know that some metals will not work well with other metals).

With enamels? Oh, goodness, there are zillions of color finishes available. Since your designs are floral, I'd stick with earth-tone combinations. You could do an earthy green on one side and a red-orange color on the other side. You could also go with sea-type colors (blue on one side, teal on the other). As you can see, I don't mind the idea of having two different colors at all. Setting up a triad between the color of the plating and the color on each side could be pretty cool.

(Example of a triad: antique copper plating, with a greenish-blue enamel on one side and a yellowish-green enamel on the other side. The antique copper will "tone down" the brightness of the translucent enamels -- which is good, because the antique copper itself is toned down a bit.)

Except, of course, for at least one really outrageous, fun, and totally unrelated color combo (gold and purple, for example). : )

When I look at this coin I see curves in the flowers and twists & twines with the vines and they seem in harmony with each other. Then I look at 'Gather Wisdom from a Flower' and it does not seem to flow with the mood of the coin. The font is very nice and easy to read but I think it may look better if it flowed with the curve of the coin instead of being flat and straight. I do believe it is going to be a lovely coin.

Whoaaah, another must have.... :lol:

And I like the idea of different enamels on front and back (I like to put my coins in those key-chain-rings and wear them as a charm, and with two different colours I could turn it during the day :D )

So, where can I enter my reservation? :D:D:D

Being Im horribal at grammer, funny as how you see im part of the forums.lol Were gonna fix the gap, and capitalize the a.

we would still like to hear what you think of the design,, and what you would pick for finishes.

here is a thought. let everyone choose their own colours - and have the mint do that. expensive?

and speaking of grammer - there ain't no such word as "tooken" :D

rsg

Whoaaah, another must have.... :(

And I like the idea of different enamels on front and back (I like to put my coins in those key-chain-rings and wear them as a charm, and with two different colours I could turn it during the day :D )

So, where can I enter my reservation? :D:D:D

here is a thought. let everyone choose their own colours - and have the mint do that. expensive?

rsg

;) I was always told "ain't, ain't a word eather!! :D

rsg

:P I was always told "ain't, ain't a word eather!! :)

well duh. i was being facetious! :)

hey no fair you cant use words i dont know,, now i have to go get a dictionary! :D

This looks like it will be a great looking coin. I like dark blue & bright orange togeather! Don't know if it would work with the coin or not. I also seem to like black nickel or nickel. But in the end it is what you like best! I am just starting to get into collecting geocoins, so I really haven't seen enough to be of any real help. Can't wait to see some samples or pics! Good luck with this project!

Hiking Dude

and speaking of grammer - there ain't no such word as "tooken" :laughing:

rsg

:laughing: I was always told "ain't, ain't a word eather!! :laughing:

well duh. i was being facetious! :)

hey no fair you cant use words i dont know,, now i have to go get a dictionary! :laughing:

it's good fer ya to lern new tings doncha know?

can't wait to see your samples for this coin!

:) I was always told "ain't, ain't a word eather!! :laughing:

<total derail>

Just what is "ain't" a contraction of, anyway? (JG asks, completely non-gramatically) ; )

</total derail>

Beautiful coin! : )

i always thought it was a contraction of "am not." and it seems, according to wikipedia i am only partly correct. holy cow that one little word has a LOT of other words written about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain’t

and now, back to our regularly scheduled coin program - great coin DJ!

rsg

This coin has been pushed to april-may time frame due to cache addict minting so many coins a month and thats where i fell in the line up, in the mean time i am building a website for more info about me in general- and this coin too,, so keep your eyes peeled for that and new versions of the art work coming soon for the different finishes as well as some fixes to the art.

thx for your patience on this project,, and for everyone who supports one of my designs!

:rolleyes:

i was hoping not to have a problem anyway, because i have to buy up to 100 if they dont sell to break even for the minting process for cacheaddict, so for example if i sell 80 i have to buy 20 , if i sell 100 i have no worries hehehee but that is good news!! :rolleyes:

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

You shouldn't have a problem selling enough coins for a custom icon since Groundspeak changed the policy last week. You only need 50 now.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

Check out post #3

It is only 50 coin for an icon but at that many the price for an icon would push the cost of a coin up by $3. People keep asking why the price a coin goes up and then don't think of things like this. At 250 coin the price of an icon is $.60 at 50 coin the price of an icon is $3. More simple math...dies are about $100 each side for a 2D coin (depending on side). At 250 coins that is $.80 a coin at 50 coins that is $4. So if people started to sell 50 coins at a time the price of a coin would go up (just on dies and icon fees) from $1.40 to $7.00. I don't think I could sell a coin with these additional cost. Additionally most mints will not make 50 coins.

i was hoping not to have a problem anyway, because i have to buy up to 100 if they dont sell to break even for the minting process for cacheaddict, so for example if i sell 80 i have to buy 20 , if i sell 100 i have no worries hehehee but that is good news!! :anibad:

so on this note, I hope everyone loves the way they come out and the thought behind it,wich i will explain soon, and i hope we make cacheaddict happy by getting all 250 sold!!!! ;)

You shouldn't have a problem selling enough coins for a custom icon since Groundspeak changed the policy last week. You only need 50 now.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

Check out post #3

It is only 50 coin for an icon but at that many the price for an icon would push the cost of a coin up by $3. People keep asking why the price a coin goes up and then don't think of things like this. At 250 coin the price of an icon is $.60 at 50 coin the price of an icon is $3. More simple math...dies are about $100 each side for a 2D coin (depending on side). At 250 coins that is $.80 a coin at 50 coins that is $4. So if people started to sell 50 coins at a time the price of a coin would go up (just on dies and icon fees) from $1.40 to $7.00. I don't think I could sell a coin with these additional cost. Additionally most mints will not make 50 coins.

LOL - I think I said in another forum that if people started minting just 50 coins that the price would go up. I think my mint will mint a minimum of 100 coins. But it still brings the price of the coin up.

I think, but am not sure, that GS lowered it for the handmade coins and items?

I found the samples in my mail box today and ,,,,,,, oh my !!!! they turned out soooooo good!! way better then i coulda ever imagined!!!!

im going to post photos soon, but first i need to calm down as im sooo excited about how great they turned out,, ,i cant belive it!!! :(:DB):huh:

here are some pics, i couldent get the right lighting on some of the coins but let me tell you the pics come no where close to how nice these are. The AE I couldent get a good pic at all, but it is really shiny!!

Red on Gold.

d0862ecf-d7a3-408d-9780-a07695f5d3b4.jpg

1976040b-48d8-4392-81fb-d4bedc0cdd08.jpg

Blue on Silver

f18f60dd-7f33-42a9-acc9-abf889ff56be.jpg

9e126768-d9b0-4409-9f02-8d16a9c297cc.jpg

Antique no enamel

30aef099-addf-4350-9b82-72a2ec73d021.jpg

b1c9f729-297d-4153-a22f-a019e84125a6.jpg

Ant. Copper/Silver 2 Tone

21326f14-0232-43a4-ad7f-7253f2d9a594.jpg

55d5d4e4-ecf5-462b-9349-36913cf7eeab.jpg

Shiny Copper/Shiny gold AE (this is so shiny i had to have almost no lighting to have it not glare in the pic)

ae84a673-bee9-407e-bf6c-f08cdce84c04.jpg

c128640a-077a-4133-bd2d-f612dd54e1dd.jpg

Congratulations they are really nice....no wonder you were so excited. Gotta love the blue one :o

So when they going on sale ??

Pre-sales will be held by cacheaddict.com here soon after they get back from geowoodstock.

trust me the pics are no where close to how nice these really are, i wanted a elegant coin and thats exactly what they are!!

the blue one is really cool because you cant really see the design in the background unless you put a light on it or take it out in the sun,, so at a first look it looks like you cant see the design under the blue. :laughing: