GPS 60csx Map question (don't want to mess up)

NitroSteel

I got a 60CSX, TOPO 2008 DVD and a 2gb sd card last week. Downloaded most of the eastern US that I hike (GA, NC, TN, SC) and the areas that I hunt out west (CO, WY, NM). Very easy to use, love the whole outfit.

Last night after getting lost on the way to REI in Atlanta, I broke down and bought the City Navigator microSD card (plug and play). Is there a way for me to put some of my topo maps (GA only - there is plenty of room) on this pre-programmed SD card? I don't want to mess the card up. It was easier to just buy the SD card, and use it. I don't care anything about viewing streets on my computer anyways...

However, I hate taking those tiny cards in/out of the GPS all the time. I'm afraid I'm going to lose one of them or break one. If this is impossible, I may take the thing back to REI and buy the DVD version (same price), but I don't want to do that if I don't have to. Again, I don't care about using any of the street information on my computer - just the topo (which is why I bought the DVD topo).

Thank you for your help.

NitroSteel

snip...City Navigator microSD card (plug and play). Is there a way for me to put some of my topo maps ... on this pre-programmed SD card? ...snip

Nope. Actually, "yes" but the card would get screwed up.

snip... I hate taking those tiny cards in/out of the GPS all the time. I'm afraid I'm going to lose one of them or break one. ... I may take the thing back to REI and buy the DVD version ...snip

Yep. Even though you mentioned you don't wish to view the streets on your computer, the DVD version is probably an easier way to take advantage of the auto-routing feature of CN (has to be easier than on the GPSr itself). Even if you don't use that, having the DVD to load CN and Topo maps to your SD card is the way to go.

There's a ton of discussion here about this issue.

IF all you are ever going to want to do with the City Nav maps is use them on your GPS, then you can stick with the SD card.

However, if you foresee the chance that you might want to use the maps on your computer, you'll need the DVD. For example, you cannot use the SD card to plan a route then upload to GPS.

You also cannot back up the data on that SD card. If it somehow gets trashed, corrupted, accidentally deleted, whatever, you're out of luck.

You can't add any information to that card, either. Which means you can't stick your topo maps on there and share the card. You also can't have your tracks saved to the SD card when you're using the maps on SD card (at least that's how I understand it to work).

In short, IMO, the SD card maps are a more limited solution for use in a handheld GPS. If I had a Nuvi, I might consider getting the preloaded maps, but maybe not.

Also, check the FAQ (link at the top of the forum) about that topo map set. There's a limit of 2025 segments of data that can be uploaded to the GPS. There is a workaround that will allow you to stuff most (if not all) of North America onto a 2 gig card.