Iraq - for non-millitary

Carbon Hunter

:bad: Some have been set certainly. Whether they are still there I am not sure. We wouldn’t recommend bagging a cache in Iraq just yet for two reasons: the first is that using a GPS to look for a cache may attract the attention of security forces, the second is the risk associated with removing an unattended cache.

Here's one: Ziggurat of Ur.

There may be others, as I know we've had civilian geocachers from Jordan and other countries not involved with the military geocache there. To protect them from getting hurt following their GPS to places they shouldn't go we ask that all caches that are on a base there be clearly identified as such. So... if you read the text of one that says nothing about being on a base it might well be available to you. :laughing:

~erik~ volunteer cache reviewer for Iraq

There may be others, as I know we've had civilian geocachers from Jordan and other countries not involved with the military geocache there. To protect them from getting hurt following their GPS to places they shouldn't go we ask that all caches that are on a base there be clearly identified as such. So... if you read the text of one that says nothing about being on a base it might well be available to you. :(

I hope this one is still available, I got it in 2005 along with tons of pics. Awesome site!

There may be others, as I know we've had civilian geocachers from Jordan and other countries not involved with the military geocache there. To protect them from getting hurt following their GPS to places they shouldn't go we ask that all caches that are on a base there be clearly identified as such. So... if you read the text of one that says nothing about being on a base it might well be available to you. :(

I hope this one is still available, I got it in 2005 along with tons of pics. Awesome site!

I just got back from the area and I wouldn't recommend doing a whole lot of active caching off base in Iraq. Rule of thumb for soldiers is, "if you didn't drop it, don't pick it up or touch it", IED's aren't just on the roadside and sometimes look like everyday objects. Virtuals or earth caches though are a great idea, there are a ton of historical sites all over the country.

Good luck.